USGA PR team to Justin Thomas: "We need to talk"

ZNDavis

The USGA shows just how arrogant they are in how they drafted the tweet. "Justin, we need to talk." Like a father would say to his 16 year old who snuck out of the house at night.

They easily could have said "Justin, we'd like to talk," but they can't help themselves. They are inherently condescending.

Justin had avoided all communication, like a petulant teenager locking himself in his room. He deserved the treatment he got.

So, he's a liar?

Dave seems to be privy to inside knowledge.

"Dave" is Mike Davis.

That would explain all of "Dave's" posts defending the USGA.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A USGA PR social media account...somehow that strikes me as ironic.

Ummmmmm,,,,,,,, "public relations" using social media. What's "ironic" about that ? :blink:

Well, guess it depends on your opinion of the USGA and their PR. From my perspective, they just can’t stop shooting themselves in the foot...their PR is somewhat poor. But what do I know...

No, it doesn't depend on anything.

Their PR may be poor but there's nothing ironic about public relations and using social media. ;)

Certainly telling . . .

I honestly think it will depend on how far afoul the USGA wants to go from PGA Tour players' wishes/beliefs on the rules. At present, we obviously aren't at a point of sufficient disconnect for the PGA Tour to step in, but we might be trending in that direction, and the USGA cannot ignore that. The way I see it, it's truly up to the USGA to correctly determine from where it derives its power, and how to maintain that relationship.

That's pretty funny. Let's see now. I think we've got the knee drop foolishness out of the way (I hope).

The lining players up one has me a bit confused. all the furor I heard in the past was about the LPGA Tour. Didn't hear a peep about the men.

So now that there's a rule against it these guys decided "Hey, I know. We never did that before, let's do it now and raise a furor." :lol:

I mean seriously, just like the "How hard is it to remember to drop from the knee", how hard is it to tell your caddie not to stand behind you when you're lining up a shot.

So far, we've got NOTHING but a tempest in a teapot and a bunch of whiners who had OVER A YEAR to study the rules for how they make a living.

And there is nothing in the least complicated or confusing about EITHER of these.

Sheesh. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I think the USGA was appropriate to avoid responding in public to most of the complaints about "stupid" rules. But when someone says the USGA needs to communicate, when they HAVE been communicating all along with any player that was interested, when the guy complaining has avoided discussions and cancelled meetings in favor of one-way complaints, I can see some reason to make a public offer to meet. If JT looks bad, he has himself to thank for backing out of meetings, for not attending rules sessions offered by PGA Tour officials, for not reading the USGA releases and watching the videos. There was plenty of communication, JT just took a pass on it.

Yep. I think JT said he's all for it. He might be a little busy as a superstar in pro golf, but I think it'll all work out in the end. The USGA might do better to recognize who is the bear, and who is permitted to do the poking. That's all.

:lol:

Hey Haterade,

After one's health and one's family what could possibly be more important than how one makes a living; a rather LUCRATIVE one at that ? :rolleyes: That's a rhetorical question BTW. ;)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

A USGA PR social media account...somehow that strikes me as ironic.

Ummmmmm,,,,,,,, "public relations" using social media. What's "ironic" about that ? :blink:

Well, guess it depends on your opinion of the USGA and their PR. From my perspective, they just can’t stop shooting themselves in the foot...their PR is somewhat poor. But what do I know...

Their PR may be poor but there's nothing ironic about public relations and using social media. ;)

Certainly telling . . .

Sure is.

When you tell your client's how to improve their bottom line, are you vague ? Or do you explain things thoroughly ?

Never mind, your answers are JUST as telling,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :taunt:

Titleist Pro V1X

You know it's possible that you can think that the players ARE being a bit childish in their complaining, and STILL think the USGA is acting like buffoons. It's not a zero sum thing.

Some of the complaining over pretty basic rule change, hey I'm on board with a little ribbing...

But this is the friggin governing body of golf, engaging in twitter beefs with pros, and from the sounds of it somewhat misrepresenting them at that. It's hilarious ,it's like they turned over the account to a 16 yr old

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I honestly think it will depend on how far afoul the USGA wants to go from PGA Tour players' wishes/beliefs on the rules. At present, we obviously aren't at a point of sufficient disconnect for the PGA Tour to step in, but we might be trending in that direction, and the USGA cannot ignore that. The way I see it, it's truly up to the USGA to correctly determine from where it derives its power, and how to maintain that relationship.

That's pretty funny. Let's see now. I think we've got the knee drop foolishness out of the way (I hope).

The lining players up one has me a bit confused. all the furor I heard in the past was about the LPGA Tour. Didn't hear a peep about the men.

So now that there's a rule against it these guys decided "Hey, I know. We never did that before, let's do it now and raise a furor." :lol:

I mean seriously, just like the "How hard is it to remember to drop from the knee", how hard is it to tell your caddie not to stand behind you when you're lining up a shot.

So far, we've got NOTHING but a tempest in a teapot and a bunch of whiners who had OVER A YEAR to study the rules for how they make a living.

And there is nothing in the least complicated or confusing about EITHER of these.

Sheesh. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I think the USGA was appropriate to avoid responding in public to most of the complaints about "stupid" rules. But when someone says the USGA needs to communicate, when they HAVE been communicating all along with any player that was interested, when the guy complaining has avoided discussions and cancelled meetings in favor of one-way complaints, I can see some reason to make a public offer to meet. If JT looks bad, he has himself to thank for backing out of meetings, for not attending rules sessions offered by PGA Tour officials, for not reading the USGA releases and watching the videos. There was plenty of communication, JT just took a pass on it.

Yep. I think JT said he's all for it. He might be a little busy as a superstar in pro golf, but I think it'll all work out in the end. The USGA might do better to recognize who is the bear, and who is permitted to do the poking. That's all.

Hey Haterade,

After one's health and one's family what could possibly be more important than how one makes a living; a rather LUCRATIVE one at that ? :rolleyes: That's a rhetorical question BTW. ;)

I think you are ignoring the fact that it doesn't matter if the pros' concerns are valid. The fact that they have concerns, and the ham-handed response from the USGA is the issue. It's very easy, and perhaps correct, to suggest that the pros should just learn and play by the new rules. That's not the issue.

Certainly telling . . .

Sure is.

When you tell your client's how to improve their bottom line, are you vague ? Or do you explain things thoroughly ?

I don't call the client out on Twitter.

Dear Justin.... Life changes, the rules of golf changed. Get over it and move on...maybe on your annual Spring Break trip with Rickie, Jordan and Smylie you can discuss different career opportunities if you dont like the one you have now.

for the record I dont care for the USGA, but these changes arent that hard!

Certainly telling . . .

Sure is.

Even if he/they called you out on twitter first ?

Good man !!! Self control is a wonderful thing. :good: Maybe JT will learn some. :)

Titleist Pro V1X

Certainly telling . . .

Sure is.

Good man !!! Self control is a wonderful thing. :good: Maybe JT will learn some. :)

No, because it's a client. A client who makes my job a thing. Here, we have the issue.

I'm sick of this whole thing. The new rules aren't hard, and if you care to listen to the rationalization for them, they make sense. If you just think the USGA screws up everything they touch, then you're never going to be happy, anyway.

You don't see anyone complaining about getting to tap down spike marks, or being penalized for inadvertently touching the sand in a bunker or any of the other changes that make life easier for the player. Those, apparently, are perfectly reasonable. The one that affects the player's ability to place the ball more often isn't popular. Shocking.

Given that JT seems to have tried pretty hard not to sit down with the USGA, his tweet was completely disingenuous and I have zero issue with the USGA pointing it out. This who gets to poke who stuff is just nonsense. You want to handle this in public? Fine, then it'll get handled in public. JT wants to complain without taking on any responsibility.

Rickie and JT seem to think that the new drop rule makes the game look stupid. What make the game mockable is a bunch of millionaires complaining about a simple rule change. Bend from the waist instead of curtsying, caddies move away before the player takes his stance. It might be different, but it's not hard.

I don't think anyone of sound mind would disagree, but JT gets to. That's the reality. He has the platform. In any power dynamic, we can all say what ought to be. Effective and respected governing bodies should pay more attention to what is. It's far less about who is correct than it is about who recognizes respective roles in the relationship. The USGA has demonstrated that it might require some better guidance in this situation.

EDIT: When Clay Matthews got called a few times for roughing the passer early last season and was vocal about how the new rule wasn't great, did the NFL's (the organization that actually makes the rules for the league, mind you) official Twitter single him out and say things like "we need to talk"? Honest question, because I don't know.

I don't know the Clay Matthews answer either but I do recall him saying the rules changes were stupid and he'd keep playing the way he always has.

Out of touch as are the golf pros.

For sure. 100%. But the actions of the governing body are the issue.

In both cases the governing body is correct.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I'm sick of this whole thing. The new rules aren't hard, and if you care to listen to the rationalization for them, they make sense. If you just think the USGA screws up everything they touch, then you're never going to be happy, anyway.

You don't see anyone complaining about getting to tap down spike marks, or being penalized for inadvertently touching the sand in a bunker or any of the other changes that make life easier for the player. Those, apparently, are perfectly reasonable. The one that affects the player's ability to place the ball more often isn't popular. Shocking.

Given that JT seems to have tried pretty hard not to sit down with the USGA, his tweet was completely disingenuous and I have zero issue with the USGA pointing it out. This who gets to poke who stuff is just nonsense. You want to handle this in public? Fine, then it'll get handled in public. JT wants to complain without taking on any responsibility.

Rickie and JT seem to think that the new drop rule makes the game look stupid. What make the game mockable is a bunch of millionaires complaining about a simple rule change. Bend from the waist instead of curtsying, caddies move away before the player takes his stance. It might be different, but it's not hard.

I don't think anyone of sound mind would disagree, but JT gets to. That's the reality. He has the platform. In any power dynamic, we can all say what ought to be. Effective and respected governing bodies should pay more attention to what is. It's far less about who is correct than it is about who recognizes respective roles in the relationship. The USGA has demonstrated that it might require some better guidance in this situation.

EDIT: When Clay Matthews got called a few times for roughing the passer early last season and was vocal about how the new rule wasn't great, did the NFL's (the organization that actually makes the rules for the league, mind you) official Twitter single him out and say things like "we need to talk"? Honest question, because I don't know.

I don't know the Clay Matthews answer either but I do recall him saying the rules changes were stupid and he'd keep playing the way he always has.

Out of touch as are the golf pros.

For sure. 100%. But the actions of the governing body are the issue.

In both cases the governing body is correct.

Yep. I agree.

No, because it's a client. A client who makes my job a thing. Here, we have the issue.

Maybe that's the difference. Justin ain't a client of the USGA. They don't make anything off of him. He's just whining. If he disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't affect the USGA one whit.

Titleist Pro V1X

Maybe that's the difference. Justin ain't a client of the USGA. They don't make anything off of him. He's just whining. If he disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't affect the USGA one whit.

That's the mentality that leads to the issue. JT is absolutely a client of the USGA. Those like him keep those in the USGA employed.

That's the mentality that leads to the issue. JT is absolutely a client of the USGA.

LOL

I get the corporate speak. "Everybody is everybody else's customer". Maybe you should direct this to the guy who took the first shot ?

Good one !!!

Titleist Pro V1X

That's the mentality that leads to the issue. JT is absolutely a client of the USGA.

LOL

I get the corporate speak. "Everybody is everybody else's customer". Maybe you should direct this to the guy who took the first shot ?

Good one !!!

OK. If you can't grasp the fact that PGA Tour players are clients of the USGA, then we don't have much about which to talk. I certainly hope that the USGA itself doesn't ascribe to that mentality.

Justin and about 150 of his contemporaries should decide to not attend the 2019 U.S. Open. I'm sure the USGA wouldn't care. I mean, it's not like they make anything off those players.

Justin and about 150 of his contemporaries should decide to not attend the 2019 U.S. Open. I'm sure the USGA wouldn't care. I mean, it's not like they make anything off those players.

Yeah right, I'm sure they'll all get together and boycott arguably the most important major of the year because they have to drop from the knee or their caddies aren't allowed to line them up or the USGA was mean to them.

Any more "reductio ad absurdum" ? :rolleyes:

Titleist Pro V1X

The GIF responses to that are awesome.

It does make JT look a bit like a ...... turd.

Well, he is being a bit of a turd.

But he has company among the players.

I, for one, am glad JT is being a “turd”. In this country, we have not seen a level of arrogance displayed by the USGA since King George ruled the colonies.

You're right.

It was very arrogant of the USGA to expect the players to actually learn the rules they are expected to play by. And it was really arrogant of them to think that the players would not act like my 8 and 9 year old grandchildren.

You’re right.

It was very arrogant of the PGA Tour players to believe that the USGA had any sensibilities with respect to the rules of golf, growing the game and the continued problematic US Open set ups.

PXG Proto +, 10.5 turned to 9; Ventus 
PXG Gen4 3 metal ; Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4  5 metal;  Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4 hybrid; 21 degrees
PXG Gen4 Ps; 5-Gap with Nippon 950gh S
PXG Sugar Daddy wedges; 54 and 58; Nippon 950gh S

PXG 38” counter balanced, PXG Mustang

Titleist Pro V1x

Yeah right, I'm sure they'll all get together and boycott arguably the most important major of the year because they have to drop from the knee or their caddies aren't allowed to line them up or the USGA was mean to them.

Please tell me how the USGA "doesn't make anything" off Justin Thomas (or players like him).

Please tell me how the USGA "doesn't make anything" off Justin Thomas (or players like him).

Sure, "stretch" the argument to "players like him". Why not just go back to all of them boycotting ?

I specifically said if HE disappeared nobody'd miss him.

Now if the ridiculous DID actually come true and the Top 150 players (or 50, 25, or 10 or however many you think it would take) DID threaten to boycott the US Open I think it would be quite the kerfuffle. I don't see anything like that happening but I guess stranger things have happened,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :dntknw:

Titleist Pro V1X

There are currently 5 threads on the first page of the wrx tour section discussing various aspects of the USGA's rule making. If the USGA was doing its job properly the number would be zero.

How can you realistically think that? Any change will get some people upset and they will be vocal, even no changes will bring whining about the lack of change/response to some issue. Anybody or any organization in charge of anything important will be criticized.

Your posts are similar to your avatar btw. Not a good look.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

There are currently 5 threads on the first page of the wrx tour section discussing various aspects of the USGA's rule making. If the USGA was doing its job properly the number would be zero.

How can you realistically think that? Any change will get some people upset and they will be vocal, even no changes will bring whining about the lack of change/response to some issue. Anybody or any organization in charge of anything important will be criticized.

Your posts are similar to your avatar btw. Not a good look.

My avatar > USGA