2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Iron Philosophy

tommyh9991

Alright before I begin I promise this is not a blade vs CB talk but here it goes.

I forever have struggled with the choice of the iron to play. I have carried a handicap as low as a 2 and as high as a 7.

I am not a long hitter by any means. I would say my 7 Iron goes roughly 155 yards.

What I struggle with is choosing an iron. I know I need to commit to an iron to make an improvement long term but that's where you come in.

Option #1

Players cavity back. I always gravitate this way as I feel I have total control. I have no issues hitting the 7 iron - wedge but the longer irons seem to have a little drop off in consistency and overall distance. The turn interaction is amazing for my shallow angle of attack. Iron most recently played in this head style (Mizuno JPX Tour 900)

Option #2

Players game improvement

This is usually what I fall into when I think the extra distance and forgiveness would help me. They go a full club longer and launch higher. I don't feel I have the control as much to place the ball in the exact spot i want but I can get the ball around. I don't struggle with the occasional hot shot and the hook. The wider sole becomes a nuisance as I get flat and I can't pinch the ball as crisply as I'd like. Club most recently played (ping i210)

Option #3

Now this was my attempt to merge the 2...I tried the AP2 and it felt like I never really fell in love with them. Wider soles and high bounce didn't work well and the lack of feel and total control also wasn't great. It didn't excel in any area but it also didn't have a glaring weakness either. Kinda meh.

So I guess with all this being said what way would you go. My ultimate goal is to commit to a club long term and ultimately get back.down to a 2 handicap or better. What route would you go? And before anyone says I need to get fit understand that all 3 options listed we're fit

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely agree with your thoughts regarding the various iron types and pros and cons of each. I’m not as good as you but I have the same dilemma with choosing irons. I think the best compromise is to do a combo of option 1 and 2. Combo sets have their own minor annoyances such as gapping and dealing with a different look at address, but I guess you can’t have it all.

Combo set!

Even if it isn't a combo set offered by the manufacturer, make one yourself with irons that perform and tick the boxes you need ticked

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

The only problem I've found with combo sets is look and feel....since I'm not playing for oodles of cash , I'm in the camp of enjoyment....I don't want clubs that are bulky looking or sound/feel clacky....rarely do you find the GI iron that isn't one or both.....I'm gaming iblades now and they are very close with help in a smallish package.

Will head to superstore and try Apex pro seeing if they can compete in performance whilst adding forged feel.

Titleist 718 CB’s sneaky good iron that gets overlooked.

I just picked up a set of 716's and I concur. With the tungsten weight on the toe and the generous perimeter weighting, these are more forgiving than people think.

I'd encourage you to go with option #1 as long as you are going to keep practicing this season.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I was in about the same place and ended about where you are ... I opted for the Ping ie1, I liked them a little more than the 200 series. I did dump the GW and start my Vokeys in that spot to give myself a little more control from inside 120.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Let me start by saying I’m a “techie”. Even in my profession I love trying out new and different stuff so I fit right in here at GolfWRX.

I have tried countless iron sets for no particular reason other than “why not?” The biggest thing that I can say for certain is that l know what I want to look down at.

For me it boils down to confidence.

Before the kid came I was hovering around a 2 hdcp with irons being the strength of my game. Blades were never a problem to put in the rotation along with the rest of them. Players cavities, players game improvement, I hit them all as well as anything else. The issue that became apparent to me was GI irons. I was nowhere near as accurate with offset irons. I couldn’t consistently align them with my target, even tho I could pure them.

Fast forward 15 years and I still love the toys, I still love blades and player’s irons, but I don’t play or practice near as much as I need to.

I’m hovering around 6-7 hdcp for several reasons.

My mind is telling me I should be doing everything I can to make the game easier and take advantage of the forgiveness offered by the new GI irons but I have no confidence looking down at it. I know I can pure it. I also know I’m probably going to be short sided, or in the water or a bunker. I’ll probably be pin high tho.

I’ve narrowed my never ending search for toys down to the most forgiving iron I can stand to look at. That’s what gives me the most confidence to make a committed swing. Ymmv

Cobra Ltdx LS 10.5. 

M3 3HL

cobra tec 2 and 4 hybrids
Cobra mim tour
PXG Forged wedges
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

Blended set or whatever suits your tendencies best it the answer fine sir

I'm 51, used to be a solid tourney scratch at 25 yrs old and carried 1-PW and a single 55* Tom Watson SW.

Anyways, blade guy for EONS (Titleist then Mizuno then Ping S series)

I now carry a 7w at times, a 4h and 5h at times, and lots of rounds feature SGI 5 and 6 irons. (i500 or Rapture or Rapture J)

The "6 iron" is the most experimental club in my set right now. Even tried a tour issue 6h last year (awesome stick unless it's windy FWIW)

When the world's best pros (legit +6 to +9 players) are carrying substitutes for long irons (7 woods, hybrids, SGI's, DI's etc) it tells you something

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

If your looking for some irons more on the game improvement/player cavity side I would look at the apex 19 combo set. They feature apex pro in the short irons and standard apex in the long irons. This year Callaway blended the lofts so there isn’t a gap moving between the two iron models.

If you want a set that is a MB style. I would suggest Titleist 710-714 MB or CB short irons and find some 712u long irons (I believe they make 2-5) I have played this set for a couple years and think it works fantastic.

I recently switched from a players cavity to the G400.

My core philosophy is hit the ball straight and high, with the ability to work the ball only when absolutely necessary.

My GIR is up since switching and helping increase scoring opportunities. Holding on to that +1 cap!

It really comes down to what gives you confidence and appeals to your eye.

Alright before I begin I promise this is not a blade vs CB talk but here it goes.

I forever have struggled with the choice of the iron to play. I have carried a handicap as low as a 2 and as high as a 7.

I am not a long hitter by any means. I would say my 7 Iron goes roughly 155 yards.

What I struggle with is choosing an iron. I know I need to commit to an iron to make an improvement long term but that's where you come in.

Option #1

Players cavity back. I always gravitate this way as I feel I have total control. I have no issues hitting the 7 iron - wedge but the longer irons seem to have a little drop off in consistency and overall distance. The turn interaction is amazing for my shallow angle of attack. Iron most recently played in this head style (Mizuno JPX Tour 900)

Option #2

Players game improvement

This is usually what I fall into when I think the extra distance and forgiveness would help me. They go a full club longer and launch higher. I don't feel I have the control as much to place the ball in the exact spot i want but I can get the ball around. I don't struggle with the occasional hot shot and the hook. The wider sole becomes a nuisance as I get flat and I can't pinch the ball as crisply as I'd like. Club most recently played (ping i210)

Option #3

Now this was my attempt to merge the 2...I tried the AP2 and it felt like I never really fell in love with them. Wider soles and high bounce didn't work well and the lack of feel and total control also wasn't great. It didn't excel in any area but it also didn't have a glaring weakness either. Kinda meh.

So I guess with all this being said what way would you go. My ultimate goal is to commit to a club long term and ultimately get back.down to a 2 handicap or better. What route would you go? And before anyone says I need to get fit understand that all 3 options listed we're fit

Hogan Ft Worth or Hogan PTx depending on which head feels better to you. Cobra Forged Tour or Wilson FG Tour V6 also in same category.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

I agree with the above statement on the MP 18s. There are many combos people have done in these including all 3 in the series (MB, SC, and MMC).

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with AD-TP 7S
Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-DI 85S
Callaway X-Forged with Nippon Modus 105X 
Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges with KBS 610 stiff shafts
Scotty Cameron NP2
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Option #1

Option #2

Players game improvement

Option #3

If you can help me out... the Ping i210s are actually a "combo" set already. Wider, fatter mids, very similar to any blade shorts. So in both cases, 6-iron and longer were uncomfortable, right? So if you're looking for more pinch and bite, you need to still enter shallow - which it sounds like you're not when you get to the longer clubs.

Out of curiosity, what length is your 5-iron?

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Although I have the full set, I play my AP2 5-PW and then use hybrids as 3 and 4 iron replacements. Course dependant I may through the 4 iron in the bag but it's not really something that I use. I think down to the 5 iron they're decently easy to play. For being as small as they are, they are quite forgiving. I'd try the new ones. The new leading edge grind and construction help the feel a lot.

Srixon Z785 add in some U series to replace long irons.

Or any I series from PING. If you wanna go full on GI, G410 which have greatly reduced the offset. These may eventually find my bag.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Well nowadays iron heads are probably not making difference apart from lofts and lie angles.

I would find a shaft that works for my 5-9 iron, then a similar profile for the 3-4, and wedges. Ideally the profile of the iron shaft would match the one in your driver so you dont need to release differently.

Shafts are the engine.

We can't tell you what you like, what looks good at address (to you) and what performs best for you. The answer lies in demo-ing or ho-ing until you find the Holy Grail. I'm 66 years old and still looking.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

I’ll probably die with one of my MP55s in my hand because they check all the boxes. Player’s CB profile, GI forgiveness, slightly stronger lofts with higher launch, can work the ball when needed and the sole is quite narrow for all the tech packed into them. Oh, and they feel like a traditional Mizuno iron.

I've felt your struggles. Gamed MP-62s for years when I was playing and practicing frequently. Played some of my best golf with them. Eventually replaced them with 712 AP2s and loved everything about them. Looks, feel (less buttery than MP-62, but still good), and increased forgiveness. Took a break from the game for a couple years and ball striking took a hit.

I came back into the game in late 2016 and traded in my 712s for 716s. Something about them just didn't get along with me. I think it might have been the DG AMT shafts, I dunno. But this started the spiral of trying to find something I liked again. Gamed Apex Pro '16s, Apex Pro Combo '16s, Ping i200, and finally back to 718 AP2s and am happy again.

The 718s to me at least, play more similar to my 712s did. I don't hit them as far as Apex or i200, but my distance control is so much better. Which has led to better scoring.

So in my experience, I would say that for me, staying with a higher spin iron has been better than a players distance iron. The distance control aspect was most important to me. In my mid and short irons I tend to be a solid ball striker. I really appreciate the forgivness in 4-6i. I did this winter pick up some AP3 bent a degree weak to try in my long irons, but that is a relatively inexpensive experiment. If I don't like them on the course I'll go back to my AP2 4 and 5i.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

The two irons I have played that pack the most forgiveness into small profiles with thin soles are mp 15 and 718 cb. Due to the multimaterial construction, there is a lot (relatively) of perimeter weighting in a very small package. There are a lot of nice players irons that are more forgiving than these, but you start having to compromise with thicker soles, longer blade length, etc. You basically have to decide how much turf interaction you are willing to sacrifice for off center forgiveness. Some players seem to like the turf interaction of thicker wider soles. I really envy them as it seems like you could really have it all in that case.