Indoor practice golf balls, do they work at least? (foam/plastic)

Rodoalo

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there, I have searched over the forum for reviews on these balls and I haven't found something more recent.

Since I want to work on the short game indoor, I wanted to ask you if foam/plastic balls are a good way of practicing at home and which ones would you recommend.

Thank you!

I didn't expect to see anyone else from Montevideo on these forums; I'm from there!

As to your question, I practice mostly indoors using foam Callaway balls. They work well for what they are. Great for working on contact.

TaylorMade SIM2 (9*) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 60g

TaylorMade SIM2 Max (3w) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 70g

Titleist T-MB (2i) | Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB14 (3-PW) | Dynamic Gold X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore (54*, 58*) | Dynamic Gold Spinner

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3

Hello there, I have searched over the forum for reviews on these balls and I haven't found something more recent.

Since I want to work on the short game indoor, I wanted to ask you if foam/plastic balls are a good way of practicing at home and which ones would you recommend.

Thank you!

I didn't expect to see anyone else from Montevideo on these forums; I'm from there!

As to your question, I practice mostly indoors using foam Callaway balls. They work well for what they are. Great for working on contact.

Thank you! are you from Uruguayan Montevideo indeed? Because I know there is an U.S. Montevideo! ha!

Looking forward to starting playing golf here in Montevideo. Unfortunately there aren't too much open Driving Ranges near the city.

Yes, I was born in Montevideo and then moved to the U.S. when I was a kid. I still go back every year or two to see family in Colonia. In Uruguay, I have only ever played @ Carmelo, which was quite nice.

A lady at work gave me some of the wiffle balls a few years back, and I have a spot on my 3rd floor where I can take full swings. So I’ve created a bit of an indoor range, although I’ve hit the walls with my club a few times and the carpet has started to buckle a little. My wife will not be happy when she sees it (she rarely goes up there) ?

Anyway, the wiffle balls are OK, but I’m starting to wonder if they are hurting more than helping. I take a few swings with them almost every day, and my swing is improving. But when I get to the range, real balls feel so heavy and whatever I’m doing inside doesn’t seem to translate well to the outside.

I guess my advice is that they are OK for some swing practice, and can give you some feedback on the quality of your strike, but don’t spend too much time with them.

Carmelo golf is awesome! Part of my family lives in Carmelo, that is why I have played on that course. It is a great course, really accessible.
What is the golfing culture like in Montevideo? I know they have the course designed by McKenzie, which is pretty awesome; it's open to the public once or twice each week, right?

Carmelo golf is awesome! Part of my family lives in Carmelo, that is why I have played on that course. It is a great course, really accessible.
What is the golfing culture like in Montevideo? I know they have the course designed by McKenzie, which is pretty awesome; it's open to the public once or twice each week, right?

do they drive for dough and use the bounce in Montevideo?

I'm so sorry guys, I just couldn't resist.

In Montevideo we have two golf courses: the one located in Punta Carretas and the one located in "Cerro".

About the first one, on Mondays the green fee is approximately USD 25. It used to be free. The rest of the days, the green fee is approximately USD 96 (including a caddie). If there are no caddies, the costs go down to USD 36. For me, a middle class worker bloke, it is really expensive. There are no 9 holes fees neither afternoon fees. Only one fee. Moreover, it is advisable to have a handicap to play here. The Driving Ranges are not open to the public, they are only for members (membership of this club is really expensive).

On Cerro Golf Club Green Fees are cheaper. From Monday to Friday, Green Fee is approximately USD 18. On weekends, the Green Fee is USD 36. and I guess USD 21 for 9 holes. Membership of this club is more affordable.

I think both courses were designed by McKenzie.

I would really like to have more opportunities to play golf here in Montevideo. I know Golf is expensive everywhere, but we need something to encourage golfers to practice. Something like a public driving range or chip & putt courses. Here, to practice in a Driving Range, I need to go to Cerro or La Tahona (45 minutes drive). I know I can't compare Uruguay to the U.S, but I got surprised how many cheap courses you do have (especially in Miami, where I will be going shortly). Approximately 14 USD for a Green Fee at a public course.

In Montevideo we have two golf courses: the one located in Punta Carretas and the one located in "Cerro". About the first one, on Mondays the green fee is approximately USD 25. It used to be free. The rest of the days, the green fee is approximately USD 96 (including a caddie). If there are no caddies, the costs go down to USD 36. For me, a middle class worker bloke, it is really expensive. There are no 9 holes fees neither afternoon fees. Only one fee. Moreover, it is advisable to have a handicap to play here. The Driving Ranges are not open to the public, they are only for members (membership of this club is really expensive). On Cerro Golf Club Green Fees are cheaper. From Monday to Friday, Green Fee is approximately USD 18. On weekends, the Green Fee is USD 36. and I guess USD 21 for 9 holes. Membership of this club is more affordable. I think both courses were designed by McKenzie. I would really like to have more opportunities to play golf here in Montevideo. I know Golf is expensive everywhere, but we need something to encourage golfers to practice. Something like a public driving range or chip & putt courses. Here, to practice in a Driving Range, I need to go to Cerro or La Tahona (45 minutes drive). I know I can't compare Uruguay to the U.S, but I got surprised how many cheap courses you do have (especially in Miami, where I will be going shortly). Approximately 14 USD for a Green Fee at a public course.
Where I am in Seattle, greens fees are not cheap. To play a nice course on the weekend, you're spending $100-$200+. The difference is that we have plenty of places to practice for free (chipping/putting greens) or cheaply (driving ranges where you can get 100 balls for $5).

Where I am in Seattle, greens fees are not cheap. To play a nice course on the weekend, you're spending $100-$200+. The difference is that we have plenty of places to practice for free (chipping/putting greens) or cheaply (driving ranges where you can get 100 balls for $5).

That is expensive also! But there must be some public courses with fees of approximately 20-30 dollars, right? Moreover, the good thing is you got those possibilities of practicing and improving in a putting and chipping green or a driving range, so when you visit the golf course, you have improved.

Some courses here want you to have certain abilities, but you have no opportunity of improving in a driving range or putting green!

Following with the topic, I will try those Callaway Golf Balls. I just wanna know if the price for AlmostGolfBalls and Birdieballs is justified (they are a little more pricey than those Callaway's or Standard Whiffles).