2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

WOW!! USGA “backtracks” on earlier statements on JT

I’m sure the rules mongers will quickly come to the defense of the USGA on this one, but here we have it, straight from the USGA themselves stating that there were never any meetings set up with JT in the first place by the USGA...aka “we lied”.

Doesn’t really surprise me in the least and fits with all the tone deaf and arrogance we’ve seen in the past from this organization.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/usga-backtracks-no-meetings-justin-thomas-were-canceled

Let the spin begin!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we really know what happened behind the scenes? And we do not know who is taking the blame. There are more people in mix, JT, manager, caddie, USGA side... Very easy to have a comms breakdown. Could be more than this, or not.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

I have to admit, the number of replies to this thread is surprisingly low.

Across the board in a big number of threads there has been some pretty voracious defending of the USGA going on. Kind of hard to be so vehement in light of recent developments.

Not all that surprising to me.

They are hoping the issue goes away or that some bit of news will hit to counter or soften the embarrassing USGA tweets.

Hard for them to support or protect a blatant lie and I can understand how it’s doubly tough to admit they were on the wrong side of the argument here. First guy to come on here and admit they were wrong or mistaken gets my respect.

I’m still in shock that this organization that gets paid handsomely to protect the integrity of the game would stoop to such a low level of deceipt and lies just to try to bolster their position.

All the discussion on these threads by some very knowledgeable people related to various rules decisions ALL ultimately relate to the integrity of the game. How can you reconcile all the table pounding on the integrity of the game here while the individuals who make those very same rules have lost all credibility with blatant lies. Another reason many are keeping a very low profile. Just re-read their tweet now on JT and it will make you cringe.

Across the board in a big number of threads there has been some pretty voracious defending of the USGA going on. Kind of hard to be so vehement in light of recent developments.

Yep.

I for one would love to discuss calmly on the thought vein of why ? Why does this type thing happen over and over to this origanization ? From lost greens at our national championship to drunk speakers at oakmont to veiled bullying attempts for players and walking officials , to Davis self described moments of clarity with pros on the range at pebble to now made up tweets trying to silence another pro player .....

It’s my origanization too. And although many hate them being questioned I feel like as a member I can ask. Why ? Am I too sensitive and expect too much ? Or do my eyes see them for what they are ? Very much behind the times ( 60 years or so ) with regards to the “ we make it up as we go and do as we say “ mentality.

Serious questions. No intention to bash for the sake of bashing. If this organization started today and operated with the same record as they have for the last 10 years would the origanization survive ? I have serious doubts. Maybe it would. Maybe they make enough $ that it operates in spite of itself.

I ask that knowing that it’s also full of great people. I’ve interacted many times with the club testing dept. personal friendly and prompt service.

Before you cry “ nutcase “. Compare their record with the Open and the Rand A. While far from perfect I just don’t see the constant drama surrounding them or their championship. Why ? Does the USGA just take the heat for both ? Or is there a fundamental difference in attitude ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Yep.

I for one would love to discuss calmly on the thought vein of why ? Why does this type thing happen over and over to this origanization ? From lost greens at our national championship to drunk speakers at oakmont to veiled bullying attempts for players and walking officials , to Davis self described moments of clarity with pros on the range at pebble to now made up tweets trying to silence another pro player .....

It’s my origanization too. And although many hate them being questioned I feel like as a member I can ask. Why ? Am I too sensitive and expect too much ? Or do my eyes see them for what they are ? Very much behind the times ( 60 years or so ) with regards to the “ we make it up as we go and do as we say “ mentality.

Serious questions. No intention to bash for the sake of bashing. If this organization started today and operated with the same record as they have for the last 10 years would the origanization survive ? I have serious doubts. Maybe it would. Maybe they make enough $ that it operates in spite of itself.

I ask that knowing that it’s also full of great people. I’ve interacted many times with the club testing dept. personal friendly and prompt service.

Before you cry “ nutcase “. Compare their record with the Open and the Rand A. While far from perfect I just don’t see the constant drama surrounding them or their championship. Why ? Does the USGA just take the heat for both ? Or is there a fundamental difference in attitude ?

I think the difference between the R and A’s relationship with pros and the USGA’s relationship stems from the major each one puts on. Players love the Open setup and don’t feel like it sets them up for embarrassment whereas they often hate the USO setup and think the USGA in “protecting par” is out to embarrass Tour pros. That’s the where the true animosity lies. And it’s spilled over into the rules arena as once again players think getting penalized over what they consider to be trivial rules is an effort to embarrass them. I also think players see the USGA trying to “speed them up” as a threat to their professional conduct. These guys in this era for the most part like to be deliberate and if that’s taken away it pushes them way outside of their comfort zone.

Some of those points I may agree with ^

But I don’t know if that’s at all the true issue. As I said in reply to you in another thread. I think when Jt says “ communication “ he’s saying “ you guys aren’t listening to us or anyone “. And I agree. Or at least I’ll say they sure project that. People have griped about the US open setups for years. And yet they still do the same. Trying to lose greens , ruining courses for who knows how long in the process. For what ? They aren’t listening to that. I don’t really agree with him now on the rule , but I do agree that their arrogant stance in general is tiresome.

I’m trying not to rant so I’ll stop. But just will say , there is no real reason why the USGA has to be perceived like they are , except that they refuse to change. Sad that it most likely will take time for some to age out to get there.

And I say that as a guy who’d get in a time machine and go back in a second . I’m as square and traditional as anyone. With the one caveat. The elitist attitude. I detest it.

I brought up this example earlier. Does anyone here think people( players) hate Slugger White ? Nope. Nicest guy I’ve ran across. ( although briefly ). But yet he will defend the rules with furvor. Why can’t the USga operate on that meek but firm platform ? That’s my ideal situation.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

A little birdie told me that all the rules mongers feverishly PM’d each other to say “hey guys, don’t respond to Swiss’s thread because it will validate the topic”.

My work is done here?

Lol. They're going to have trouble sleeping if someone is denigrating the Rules or USGA and they let that go unchallenged.

Crickets from the USGA fan club.

The issue is resolved at this point. What else is there to say? It’s a he said / he said with one side caving in probably due to pressure. But none of us know what really happened or where the truth lies. It’s only a guess. The truth is probably in the middle somewhere. At the end of the day, whoever fired off that tweet from the USGA shouldn’t have done it because in the end they would just get left out to dry. They could be telling the total truth, partial truth, or making it up entirely (which I doubt) but that doesn’t really matter. The perception will become reality and the USGA has an image problem that precludes them from winning out in these kinds of battles.

The issue is resolved at this point. What else is there to say? It’s a he said / he said with one side caving in probably due to pressure. But none of us know what really happened or where the truth lies. It’s only a guess. The truth is probably in the middle somewhere. At the end of the day, whoever fired off that tweet from the USGA shouldn’t have done it because in the end they would just get left out to dry. They could be telling the total truth, partial truth, or making it up entirely (which I doubt) but that doesn’t really matter. The perception will become reality and the USGA has an image problem that precludes them from winning out in these kinds of battles.

All great points Clint.

In my view, the USGA as a multimillion dollar business concern knows exactly what they’re doing in terms of PR and marketing but in this case, it would appear things backfired on them quite a bit.

Then they figured they would come clean and cut their losses by admitting to not being entirely honest for fear that they could be sued by JT for defamation of character or with JT being JT, I could see there being a war of words between the 2 parties and JT would win with asking for proof of meeting invites and the like.

USGA should fire their PR firm.

To me anyway, even though the players look poor, the USGA just compounded the problems that are tarnishing their image. Regardless of what the actual truth is. The one thing that is certain in our world today is that a new headline grabbing crisis is right around the corner and today’s is quickly yesterday’s news.

There is no way they come out ahead by admitting what they did, so why not at least stay “even”.

I think DaveP and I had this discussion in one of the other threads. Surprised they haven’t been merged.

Acceptable points. But I wonder. Do you feel Iike the usgas image issue is self made ? Or are they victims of conspiracy ? That’s the real issue. Why can’t they receive benefit of the doubt ? That bugs me. And that’s not a universal truth for other 100 plus year old entities.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

A little birdie told me that all the rules mongers feverishly PM’d each other to say “hey guys, don’t respond to Swiss’s thread because it will validate the topic”.

My work is done here?

Lol. They're going to have trouble sleeping if someone is denigrating the Rules or USGA and they let that go unchallenged.

I slept very well last night?

The reality is, it's an online pissing match between a seemingly self entitled group and a seemingly self entitled pro golfer, both of which act like brats at times.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip