Honest Review of my PXG Experience

RN4LGolfer

My experience has not been great. I looked at PGX irons for two years before getting fitted and purchasing Gen3 irons. I'm 65 years old, I was playing True temper R300 shafts, so I expected to be fitted with graphite shafts.  My fitter ( who's name I will withhold for now), told me that I needed a stiffer shaft. I questioned his evaluation, about putting me, a 65 year old man in stiff shafts. He assured me that a stiff shaft is what I needed. After purchasing the clubs and receiving them, and playing with them I was not happy. I realized that the wedges was not performing as well as my old 48 degree pitching wedge and 56 degree sand wedge. I contacted him, he assured me he could make the wedges and the stiff shafts work as well as my old  wedges. I meet with this guy again a few weeks later.  He claimed that he could make the 54/58 degree wedges perform like my 48 /56 degree pithing wedge? He told me that I need to just play with the clubs a while and we could meet again. I attempted to contact him several times, even via text messages. I finally called the Support Team at PXG. He finally called me and said he had not been getting my texts or phone calls  This really upset me. He claimed that he would take care of me. He texted me a few days later and wanted to know if I could do another fitting on a Sunday. I told that on Sunday I would be at Church. That was over 6 months ago. Now when I try to reach the guy he can't be found. After speaking to the Support Team several times and blasting the fitter and their efforts I'm still not satisfied. My experience has been very disappointing, this set was the first that I've ever been fitted for. Sadly, I still love the appearance of the heads, but not the stiff shafts. Now I get pittz every time I hear the PGX commercials advertising the clubs, nobody makes clubs like PXG PERIOD! I've learned a valuable lesson about fitters. Be advised and keep your guard UP! 

My experience is exactly opposite of the above poster's.  My fitter was great, spent a bunch of time with me and we tried all combinations of heads, shafts, etc.  I ended up with Gen 5 0311 P irons and am very happy with them.  The overall experience was awesome.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

My fitting experience with PXG was pretty bad as well. The fitter just seemed like he would have rather been anywhere at that time than at that range fitting me. He ended up “fitting” me into the exact same specs I was already playing anyway so it was nice to confirm my prior self fitting worked out. 

I was surprised though that he never followed up at all after the fitting when I never ordered anything. That was nice. I just stuck with the PXG irons I already had. 

Edited by ilikegolf26

13 hours ago, Herbert Butler said:

My experience has not been great. I looked at PGX irons for two years before getting fitted and purchasing Gen3 irons. I'm 65 years old, I was playing True temper R300 shafts, so I expected to be fitted with graphite shafts.  My fitter ( whose name I will withhold for now), told me that I needed a stiffer shaft. I questioned his evaluation, about putting me, a 65 year old man in stiff shafts. He assured me that a stiff shaft is what I needed. After purchasing the clubs and receiving them, and playing with them I was not happy. I realized that the wedges was not performing as well as my old 48 degree pitching wedge and 56 degree sand wedge. I contacted him, he assured me he could make the wedges and the stiff shafts work as well as my old  wedges. I meet with this guy again a few weeks later.  He claimed that he could make the 54/58 degree wedges perform like my 48 /56 degree pithing wedge? He told me that I need to just play with the clubs a while and we could meet again. I attempted to contact him several times, even via text messages. I finally called the Support Team at PXG. He finally called me and said he had not been getting my texts or phone calls  This really upset me. He claimed that he would take care of me. He texted me a few days later and wanted to know if I could do another fitting on a Sunday. I told that on Sunday I would be at Church. That was over 6 months ago. Now when I try to reach the guy he can't be found. After speaking to the Support Team several times and blasting the fitter and their efforts I'm still not satisfied. My experience has been very disappointing, this set was the first that I've ever been fitted for. Sadly, I still love the appearance of the heads, but not the stiff shafts. Now I get pittz every time I hear the PGX commercials advertising the clubs, nobody makes clubs like PXG PERIOD! I've learned a valuable lesson about fitters. Be advised and keep your guard UP! 

Depending on what Gen 3 irons you got, your new PW isn’t close to 48 degrees.  I believe the GW in the XP is even stronger than 48*  at 47*. So if you’re used to a 48 degree pitching wedge in your iron set your new PW is more like your old 8 or 9 iron. 

Edited by ilikegolf26

This is an interesting thread. I’ve had 3 fittings with PXG with 3 different fitters. One of them was a younger, brash guy who really didn’t take my feedback. Order a full gen 4 back and did terrible with his shaft selections despite my objections. After a year I went back for a fitting for a UDI and some woods and despite only buying a UDI, had a fantastic fitter who was open, fast paced (testing quite a bit) and even helping tame my swing a bit. Last guy I had for Gen 5 irons was OK - nothing spectacular. He almost seemed embarrassed to be working at PXG, lol. Funny enough, the fitter that gave me my best experience was apparently fired - go figure!

2 fitting experiences with PXG in Fairfax, one driver/hybrid for my son, the other was irons for me. 2 different fitters but could not have asked for anything more from either of them. They knew their stuff, explained everything, let us hit everything, took their time and didn’t hard sell.  A+ fitting experience in an awesome studio all for $25.  Best deal out there.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 3/6/2019 at 9:46 AM, RN4LGolfer said:

I agree and disagree, I worked for Mercedes and we gave them a better experience than most manufactures. But I don't think my expectations of at least getting a response back from everyone involved is setting my standards too high, that should be a given. I had even tried contacting the local sales rep that put me in contact with their local fitter and even she didn't bother to respond. It left the taste in my mouth that they got my $$$, and didn't care afterwards. Again I don't think expecting at least one of the three different people associated with PXG to respond back to me is unrealistic.

To give you an example of how a manufacture should handle a customer complaint. Callaway on two occasions set up and went above and beyond. First I bought a Epic Star 4i, less than a month the face of the iron cracked hitting range balls. They replaced immediately. Second, I had a Rogue 3w after 6 months the furrel (sic) started detaching and no questions asked sent me a brand new one within 2 days. Even though the furrel detaching was purely cosmetic.

Many years ago, I had a Callaway Great Big Bertha snap at the end of the shaft in a practice round. The next day I had to play a State Tournament. Callaway overnighted the replacement club, and didn't even ask me to send the other club in. Of course, the shaft was toast. But still, that is what I would expect from any of these companies, especially PXG who charges a premium.

Driver- Taylormade M6 8*, Fujikura Speeder 757, Tour Spec X Flex, MCC Align Red

Fairway wood- Taylormade M6 14*, Tensei CK Series 65, S Flex, MCC Align Red

Strong Hybrid- Ping i20 17*, TFC 707H, S Flex, MCC Align Red

Baby Hybrid- Titleist H2 21*, Tensei CK Series 60HY, S Flex, MCC Align Red

Irons- Ping Blueprint, Power Spec Lofts, Green Dot Lie angle, +.5", 4-PW, DG120 S300, MCC Align Red

Wedges- Cleveland RTX4, 54*, 58*, +2* upright, MCC Align Red

Putter- Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 - 2020, -2* lie, -1* loft

Webp.net-resizeimage.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been fitted at PXG once and it was for a driver. It was great and my fitter was knowledgeable, patient, and seemed like a gear head. It seems that the notion that your fitting is only as good as your fitter continues to ring true. 

However, my main gripe with PXG has been the shipping. In a world where nearly all companies offer free shipping in some form or fashion, they still charge $65 for shipping, even just one club (at least that's what I paid). You can get it shipped for free to their store but, in my case, the closest location is about an hour away and in a direction I never drive. But still, you're already dropping a pretty penny on your clubs....to charge what they charge for shipping in today's marketplace seems ridiculous. Plus they use FedEx....give me UPS any day.

2 hours ago, jls667 said:

I've only been fitted at PXG once and it was for a driver. It was great and my fitter was knowledgeable, patient, and seemed like a gear head. It seems that the notion that your fitting is only as good as your fitter continues to ring true. 

However, my main gripe with PXG has been the shipping. In a world where nearly all companies offer free shipping in some form or fashion, they still charge $65 for shipping, even just one club (at least that's what I paid). You can get it shipped for free to their store but, in my case, the closest location is about an hour away and in a direction I never drive. But still, you're already dropping a pretty penny on your clubs....to charge what they charge for shipping in today's marketplace seems ridiculous. Plus they use FedEx....give me UPS any day.

Shipping charges seem like their way to advertise a lower club price to lure customers in.  Then they hit you with the excessive shipping charges hoping most customers will just go with it.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

51 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

Shipping charges seem like their way to advertise a lower club price to lure customers in.  Then they hit you with the excessive shipping charges hoping most customers will just go with it.

Agreed. When I got fit for the driver, I tried out the 0211 ST Blades and really liked them. My fitter was willing to waive the fitting for them if I came back. I was between those and the Sub 70 639 MB/CBs for a few days but once I did the math, between taxes and shipping with PXG, the Sub 70s were just such a better deal. No tax from Sub 70 and free shipping saved me a substantial amount despite the initial price PXG advertised was nearly the same as the Sub 70s.  I'm sure I'd be plenty happy with the STs but I have zero regrets with the Sub 70s. They've been excellent.

Off topic, but it's a shame they got rid of the 0211 ST Blades. They were great irons and had beautiful classic look. I know I didn't buy them but I'd still be tempted if they had them. I actually liked their look more than my Sub 70s.

Edited by jls667

51 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

It's a classic infomercial technique - "Fee gift with your order! Just pay shipping and handling*!

*shipping and handling is $150

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

On 7/3/2023 at 10:22 AM, jls667 said:

Agreed. When I got fit for the driver, I tried out the 0211 ST Blades and really liked them. My fitter was willing to waive the fitting for them if I came back. I was between those and the Sub 70 639 MB/CBs for a few days but once I did the math, between taxes and shipping with PXG, the Sub 70s were just such a better deal. No tax from Sub 70 and free shipping saved me a substantial amount despite the initial price PXG advertised was nearly the same as the Sub 70s.  I'm sure I'd be plenty happy with the STs but I have zero regrets with the Sub 70s. They've been excellent.

Off topic, but it's a shame they got rid of the 0211 ST Blades. They were great irons and had beautiful classic look. I know I didn't buy them but I'd still be tempted if they had them. I actually liked their look more than my Sub 70s.

Yeah the shipping from PXG is really a head scratcher. They use to charge $30 for shipping and that's plenty high if you were ordering one club.. One day I was looking at 2 clubs and shipping became $60... I was like.. wow seriously? $30 for EACH club? Last year they did a couple rounds of free shipping on top of fire sale and nailed me for a couple of orders. 

The head scratching part to me is that if you buy from PXG Express, you get free shipping, and the clubs come from the same place. They use to even come in the same packaging. So that's where I look for stuff now and prices could be ridiculously good at times. 

0211ST is really nice.. I have those, Gen4 0311ST black and 0317ST black. I am willing to get rid of 0311ST and keep 0211ST as backup for the 0317ST. 

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34"