Graphite Design Flex?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Soft to Flex :   AD DI AD IZ AD VR AD MJ   Stiff to Flex :   AD TP AD GP AD M9003

Depends on which model.

I have a GP6s that is a board and I can’t turn over, while the DI6x was too loose and liked to go left when I got in it.

I play the HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 for reference.

Taylormade SIM - 9.75* - Diamana S Limited 
TaylorMade M5 - 14.25* - Tensei Orange
Callaway Apex 3h - 20* - Project X Catalyst

Calloway Apex 4h - 23* - Rogue Silver
Mizuno MP20 HMB - 5-PW - Dynamic Gold 120

Titleist AP2 - 50* - Dynamic Gold
Wedgeworks V-Grind - 54* - Dynamic Gold
Vokey Spin Milled - 58* - Dynamic Gold
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8.5 - BGT Stability Tour 
Titleist Pro V1
Titleist Staff Stand Bag

As others have said, it will depend on model and weight.

I have a 75g HZRDUS 6.0 and a TP-7 that are both good fits for me notwithstanding their completely different profiles.

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I've tried the DI, MAD Pro and TP..all in 6x. The TP felt like a board to me. I had a hzrdus red as well and that felt boardy too. Could always get a stiff and tip it a half inch?

Taylormade M2 10.5* - Tensei Blue 65x
Ping G 13* - Tour 80x
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi - 3i Mitsubishi Tensei White 90TX
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-7 KBS Tour X
Mizuno MP-18 MB 8-9 KBS Tour X
Mizuno T7 46/53/58
Scotty Cameron California Monterey

I've tried the DI, MAD Pro and TP..all in 6x. The TP felt like a board to me. I had a hzrdus red as well and that felt boardy too. Could always get a stiff and tip it a half inch?

Unless you can smoke the X-flex even on your shakier swing days, go with the stiff and tip it.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° set +1°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48° and 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

Don't GD have in between flexes like SR and Firm? That would be like a 6.0 no? Now if you're looking for them second hand then good luck but if you're ordering new pretty sure you can get a SX flex...

Titleist TS3 10.5 GD AD IZ 6S
TaylorMade SIM 5W GD AD DJ 7S
Titleist TS2 23* GD AD IZ 85S
Srixon Z785 Aerotech FC115S

Titleist T100S 6-PW Aerotech FC115

Titleist T100 50* Aerotech FC115

Vokey SM8 Raw 54.12D/58.8M Aerotech FC115
Scotty Cameron T22 Newport Stability Shaft Tour

Every GD shaft I’ve tried besides TP and GP seem a bit softer than other companies, could just be profile. TP and GP in X felt like rebar to me in comparison to DI, IZ etc.

Titleist TS3 9.5 Diamana BF 60x Taylormade M5 14* Rogue Black 110MSI 70TS | Ping G410 19* Tensei Blue 80s | Srixon z585/z785 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0 Titleist Vokey SM7 50F 56S 60S Blue Slate Modus 125s Lajosi DD201 Longneck 360g | Taylormade TP5x Yellow

As far as tipping, I hear the DI is a must tip shaft, while he GP is actually made softer if you tip it more than 0.5”

The GP tip is so crazy stiff that if tip trim it actually softens it up, or so I have heard.

Taylormade SIM - 9.75* - Diamana S Limited 
TaylorMade M5 - 14.25* - Tensei Orange
Callaway Apex 3h - 20* - Project X Catalyst

Calloway Apex 4h - 23* - Rogue Silver
Mizuno MP20 HMB - 5-PW - Dynamic Gold 120

Titleist AP2 - 50* - Dynamic Gold
Wedgeworks V-Grind - 54* - Dynamic Gold
Vokey Spin Milled - 58* - Dynamic Gold
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8.5 - BGT Stability Tour 
Titleist Pro V1
Titleist Staff Stand Bag

I have played the DI and TP extensively. The DI is much easier to turn over. It was verified to be a tad soft when measured. The TP is another animal. My natural shot is right to left, and this beast (TP) has essentially eliminated the left side for me.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-DI 85S
Mizuno MP 18 MMC 5-PW with KBS C-taper Lite X-flex, hard-stepped 1x
Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges
Scotty Cameron NP2
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Find the TP shaft deceptively stable & stout (feels soft to waggle). To avoid over cooked, it requires a bit more patience in the load process more so than some other shafts I'm used to. I have a 60S, perhaps a 70S would have been better for me. But when I smooth out & get good separation of arms to body, good width from P4-P6, it's a beast with great launch and accuracy. AD's are really nice shafts, but take the time, effort and money to match up with a proper choice. I'm okay going rogue and experimenting with iron shafts but my days of doing that with $350 metal shafts are over. :)

Soft to Flex :

AD DI

AD IZ

AD VR

AD MJ

Stiff to Flex :

AD TP

AD GP

AD M9003

What about the BB and MT

BB .. I finder stiffer .. the 6s is a good shaft

MT I had to tip a stiff a good 1.5"

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x : Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 63x
Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard 73x : Callaway Apex '16 4h 23* Fubuki 82x

Callaway Apex CF16 5i AD DI 85x  :  6i - PW Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*  Vokey SM2 TVD 54*m & 59*m DG s400 Onyx

Callaway ‘19 PM Grind 64* DG s400 Onyx ~~ Piretti Matera Elite

Soft to Flex :

AD DI

AD IZ

AD VR

AD MJ

Stiff to Flex :

AD TP

AD GP

AD M9003

What about the BB and MT

BB .. I finder stiffer .. the 6s is a good shaft

MT I had to tip a stiff a good 1.5"

I have found that players on the fence between stiff and X flexes with the GD

shafts will like the X in the 60 gram shafts , and the stiff in 70 gram ( maybe

tipped a little ) . They are alot like the UST line that are made " stiffer "

in all the zones of the heavier weight shafts....

• 3 weeks later...

I play the blue bullet in SR flex and it has made me very confident with my driver which is a first for me. I have swing speed in the high 90s but more of a smooth/slow progression type swing. My unintentional cuts off the tee box have almost disappeared. I have purchased used shafts and I send photos to the Pro's Choice rep and he lets me know that the shaft is the real deal. My last purchase was $135 for the $380 shaft, yes it's used but it looks to be in great shape. Maybe I'm just lucky but when I can save that much cash and still get an amazing performing shaft then I'd take it every time.

This question relating to stiffness all depends on how each player swings, and loads the shaft. A smooth tempo swing will say it feels stiffer, aggressive quick tempo will probly say feels soft to flex. Early or late release plays major factor as well. I have a decent tempo but aggressive move from the top with a late release, so i always need x flex regardless of weight. Currently play a TP7 x tipped .5” and it has forced me to become a little smoother (a good thing). From time to time if i get quick with it the club head will lag behind with open face due to late release. This causes high spinny block to the right for me, and it my normal miss. DI was soft in every weight in x flex for me. Hope that helps.

I have an AD DI 6X in my driver, swing speed 108, and love the feel, best of any driver shaft I have tried. Any recommendations for what shaft to throw in my 3 wood? I’m playing the stock hzrdus that came in my TS3 15* and it’s not for me.

TS3 9.5* AD-DI 6X TS2 15* AD-DI 8X 818H1 19* Tensei Pro White 90HY Mizuno MP-18 SC/MMC 4-PW Combo +1/2" Modus120X SM5 50*, SM7 54S*, TVDK 60 Toulon Portland

> @esemels20 said:

> I talked to the Graphite Design Rep by just emailing him questions because I wanted a shaft for my 3 wood. He suggested to me to check into the new AD F series and F stands for fairways.

Nice, I'll check them out. Thanks.

TS3 9.5* AD-DI 6X TS2 15* AD-DI 8X 818H1 19* Tensei Pro White 90HY Mizuno MP-18 SC/MMC 4-PW Combo +1/2" Modus120X SM5 50*, SM7 54S*, TVDK 60 Toulon Portland

> @Csquared2 said:

> I have an AD DI 6X in my driver, swing speed 108, and love the feel, best of any driver shaft I have tried. Any recommendations for what shaft to throw in my 3 wood? I’m playing the stock hzrdus that came in my TS3 15* and it’s not for me.

Went with the DI 7x in my 3 wood and it has been an excellent choice. Same great feel with just the right weight for fairway wood.

TaylorMade Sim Max9* KuroKage 60 X

TaylorMade 15* SLDR S Diamana D+ 70

TaylorMade  19* SLDR KuroKage Black

TaylorMade RSI UDI 20* Tour Issue

TaylorMade P-790 4-PW C Taper 120S

TaylorMade P-790 AW DG 120
TaylorMade Milled 54* DG 120
TaylorMade Spider X Blue
Bridgestone