2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Sub 70 Clubs

apex17

Just now, Liveonce said:

what shafts? Maybe I could sell ya my 4/5 , ha.

??? What did you mean?

PX 6.0 are in all my shafts 😃 

• Like 1

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

13 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Awesome... great to know!

The other possibility if I like the 639 CB’s could be to do those in 5-PW and a 699 Pro U 4 Driving Iron.

I called Sub 70 and they actually told me that the Project X LS shaft that I was fitted for and absolutely loved didn’t fit with their irons, so that’s another thing I have to keep in mind.

The closest shaft to that is the Project X 6.0 that I already have in my P770’s, so neither of those things adds check marks in Sub 70’s column unfortunately.

Ha, that’s a bummer. I like sub70 but I don’t like them enough to force a fit 😂

curious to hear how it goes tomorrow, steal me a visor!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

@BallerNateNate, I would call Jason from Sub70 on this one, his cell is on the website. He also owns Diamond tour golf and there are shafts on the website that he can pull from that company to build your irons. I don't see the LS, but see the LZ on their website. I'm sure he can help figure something out if you like the iron heads. Just a thought, but that's what he told me when I spoke to him for the first time, good luck

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

Ha, that’s a bummer. I like sub70 but I don’t like them enough to force a fit 😂

curious to hear how it goes tomorrow, steal me a visor!

Haha...yeah, exactly! 

The other option could be to just game my P770’s (after adding an extra 0.5” to get to +1.5” and 2* upright that I was fitted for today) for a while until the ZX5’s come down in price after this season or next.

Or go Big Baller style and splurge on the ZX5’s now, Lol! 

We’ll see tomorrow...open minded to all options right now.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 minute ago, jmagri78 said:

@BallerNateNate, I would call Jason from Sub70 on this one, his cell is on the website. He also owns Diamond tour golf and there are shafts on the website that he can pull from that company to build your irons. I don't see the LS, but see the LZ on their website. I'm sure he can help figure something out if you like the iron heads. Just a thought, but that's what he told me when I spoke to him for the first time, good luck

Ok, that’s good to know. I’m not ruling out Sub 70 by any means, but the guy I spoke to today said the PX LS had different tips and would “compromise the integrity of the club” if they were built with the 639 CB.

But if it goes well with hitting the 699, 699 Pro, and 639 CB, I could definitely try speaking with Jason to see what the options are for sure. Thanks.

• Like 2

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

5 minutes ago, Reds said:

I thought that they have .355 and .370 heads in the 639CBs. Maybe I was mistaken.

Not sure. The customer service guy I spoke with could’ve been wrong...wouldn’t have been the first time a 1-800 rep was wrong.

If I like the clubs tomorrow, I’ll inquire more and see if the PX LS would be possible. Definitely not ruling anything out yet.

• Like 3

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

4 minutes ago, Reds said:

@BallerNate Id try and call Jason. Hes very knowledgeable. I hope you can get the LS shafts if you like the Sub 70 heads

Thanks...if I like them I will.

I saw KBS Tour Black shafts that would look really mean with Black 639 CB’s too, so that could be another option if it goes well tomorrow! 😉

• Like 3

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Current my set is .370, parallel tip so that was the issue , not the .355 taper tips  That might be the issue.

• Like 2

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

3 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

Current my set is .370, parallel tip so that was the issue , not the .355 taper tips  That might be the issue.

I think that’s exactly what the guy I spoke with was saying.

The other shafts in my fitting that felt pretty good were the Nippon Modus 120 and the KBS Tour FLT, but none felt as good or performed as well for me as the PX LS.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

2 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Can anyone compare which Sub 70 irons would be most similar to the Srixon ZX5’s? Probably the 639 CB’s?

Got fitted for the ZX5’s w/ Project X LS shafts...they felt amazing, but don’t know if I’ve got that kind of $$$ to drop right now.

Dimension wise, the 699 Pros are slightly larger than ZX5's. Top line is slightly thicker but the soles are actually comparable (towards the heel the 699 Pro is narrower, but towards the toe the widest parts of the sole are near identical). I bought @chocolate_rehab's 699 Pro set and have them in my Sunday bag rotation and bought my Dad a set of ZX5's so I've compared them in hand and on the course. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

12 minutes ago, rondre3000 said:

Dimension wise, the 699 Pros are slightly larger than ZX5's. Top line is slightly thicker but the soles are actually comparable (towards the heel the 699 Pro is narrower, but towards the toe the widest parts of the sole are near identical). I bought @chocolate_rehab's 699 Pro set and have them in my Sunday bag rotation and bought my Dad a set of ZX5's so I've compared them in hand and on the course. 

Awesome...thanks very much!

How are the 699 Pros working out for you? Have you hit the ZX5’s to compare them?

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 minute ago, BallerNate said:

Awesome...thanks very much!

How are the 699 Pros working out for you? Have you hit the ZX5’s to compare them?

I have NOTHING but good things to say about the 699 Pros and Sub70 as a company to deal with. All that matters is whether they fit your eye. The 699 Pros are not a demanding club by any means to bag and I'll likely hold on to this set for travelling and out of town guests. That's how much I like em. I've hit my Dad's set of ZX5's and from a playability standpoint they are just like my 699 Pros, but with different turf interaction (I'm a shallow guy learning to get steeper). 

• Like 3

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

11 minutes ago, rondre3000 said:

I have NOTHING but good things to say about the 699 Pros and Sub70 as a company to deal with. All that matters is whether they fit your eye. The 699 Pros are not a demanding club by any means to bag and I'll likely hold on to this set for travelling and out of town guests. That's how much I like em. I've hit my Dad's set of ZX5's and from a playability standpoint they are just like my 699 Pros, but with different turf interaction (I'm a shallow guy learning to get steeper). 

Ok awesome, good to know!

Looking forward to hitting them all tomorrow...should be fun!

• Like 2

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

3 hours ago, Exactice808 said:

So if my CB639 have the .370 parallel tip would I be limited to only shafts that have the .370? I see the project X LZ have .355, so I couldn’t have these installed?

40 minutes ago, Liveonce said:

So if my CB639 have the .370 parallel tip would I be limited to only shafts that have the .370? I see the project X LZ have .355, so I couldn’t have these installed?

I think you can shim them... most manufacturers just don’t like to.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

You can shim .355 to .370 no problem ...  It might take some convincing to get them to do it as it will take some extra time to do.  It's futzy, and when they are doing quite a few sets per day, the time adds up.  It is good intel on the fact that they are .370 heads and are using .370 shafts, which for the most part start out as blanks,  with few exceptions in the case of Nippon and the OG Rifle Project X, which offered dedicated length .370 as well as .355.  It appears that the new Project X (the standard Project X) .370 are now blanks.  The KBS Tour .370 profile differently then the .355 version.  Not saying that's a bad thing, but good info to look into.  It doesn't surprise me they are using .370 application given the companies roots with components, but where it is surprising is the extra labor it takes to tip trim all those shafts vs. having a discreet length shaft all ready to go, no tipping needed.  That adds up, as it will if they start shimming .355 shafts into .370 heads with any frequency.  They are probably small enough of an operation to handle it and the fact they are building on site is pretty cool!

Edited by ode
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Golf4lifer said:

You’re not mistaken. My set is .355 because I wanted the KBS Tour V shaft in them. I did have to call Jason to get the .355 heads

That's good to know.  Is that the case with all the heads or just the 639 CB's?  And are you sure they didn't just make an exception and shim for you.

Edited by ode

40 minutes ago, ode said:

That's good to know.  Is that the case with all the heads or just the 639 CB's?  And are you sure they didn't just make an exception and shim for you.

I got the 5-pw in the 639mb and a 4 in the cb. My invoice says taper tip heads and shaft and they seriously frown upon using shims. 

A28CB152-7133-4CE8-8214-9DC8E4EE4C22.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Golf4lifer said:

I got the 5-pw in the 639mb and a 4 in the cb. My invoice says taper tip heads and shaft and they seriously frown upon using shims. 

That's great.  One of my hesitations in ordering the 639cb....was getting the parallel KBS Tour,s vs. the Taper.  These guys really have a good detailed operation going!

51 minutes ago, ode said:

That's great.  One of my hesitations in ordering the 639cb....was getting the parallel KBS Tour,s vs. the Taper.  These guys really have a good detailed operation going!

I just ordered the 639CBs and can confirm I got the actual 120 gram KBS Tour. Could have went with the Parallel for added weight but decided against that. I think the parallel KBS Tour version is 130 grams

Edited by Reds

39 minutes ago, Reds said:

I just ordered the 639CBs and can confirm I got the actual 120 gram KBS Tour. Could have went with the Parallel for added weight but decided against that. I think the parallel KBS Tour version is 130 grams

This is a whole other thread topic, but the parallel KBS Tour S .370 are 130g uncut at 43.5" (blank).  They then need to be tip trimmed and installed and then butt cut to length before grip install and are descending weight as a result  They are not 130g after all the trimming.  The KBS Tour .355 S 120 are dedicated length (the 2i shaft is 120g at 41" and the 9/W shaft is 120g at 37.5"), constant weight, installed as is then butt cut to length.  We need Howard in here to tell us how that extrapolates out, but I suspect the .370 are heavier in the long irons and then there is a point in the mid irons where they are about the same weight and in the short irons the taper are slightly heavier.  

Edited by ode
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Golf4lifer said:

Liability is likely why they frown on using shims.  Done correctly, there's no problem, but it *does* create an additional point for potential bonding failure.

There was a clubmaker formerly active on golf forums who refused to sell clubs to the public using shims.  He said he'd seen a higher failure rate with shims, and didn't want to have to deal with the possibility.

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Well, I had my first Sub 70 experience this morning. Thanks to the Canadian Rep who drove out to meet me in -2 C / 40 F to hit balls with me off the frozen tundra into 50kpm winds!!

Tough to fully evaluate the clubs because I need shafts +1”-1.5” and 2* up, and these were standard, and the shafts were also too light.

First impression though was that the clubs all look better in person than in pictures, and they all performed pretty well considering the circumstances.

My favourites were the 639 CB and the 939 X 3-Wood, but unfortunately didn’t get to try the 699 U Pro Driving Iron that I’m very interested in as well.

Honestly, they didn’t beat out my TM P770’s, and the Srixon ZX5 would still be at the top of my list if I was buying new clubs today...but they are great value for the money and I love the service I’ve received so far.

The 3-Wood I like enough to order, and the 699 U Pro is very appealing too. All products good enough to give a hard look at for sure!

294DA1F5-91E8-4856-B365-013327556618.jpeg

• Like 4

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Nice! I'm still waiting on the 949 hybrid to be released.

I'd be interested to try the new driver when it comes out, might have to snag a demo.

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

14 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

Nice! I'm still waiting on the 949 hybrid to be released.

I'd be interested to try the new driver when it comes out, might have to snag a demo.

Yeah, I’d be interested in their Driver too.

Not getting along with the SIM Max D Driver right now at all and just broke up with the Max D 3-Wood.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX