2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Sub 70 Clubs

apex17

10 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Well, I had my first Sub 70 experience this morning. Thanks to the Canadian Rep who drove out to meet me in -2 C / 40 F to hit balls with me off the frozen tundra into 50kpm winds!!

Tough to fully evaluate the clubs because I need shafts +1”-1.5” and 2* up, and these were standard, and the shafts were also too light.

First impression though was that the clubs all look better in person than in pictures, and they all performed pretty well considering the circumstances.

My favourites were the 639 CB and the 939 X 3-Wood, but unfortunately didn’t get to try the 699 U Pro Driving Iron that I’m very interested in as well.

Honestly, they didn’t beat out my TM P770’s, and the Srixon ZX5 would still be at the top of my list if I was buying new clubs today...but they are great value for the money and I love the service I’ve received so far.

The 3-Wood I like enough to order, and the 699 U Pro is very appealing too. All products good enough to give a hard look at for sure!

294DA1F5-91E8-4856-B365-013327556618.jpeg

Did the 939x beat out the Pro fairway or did you only try the 939x? Curious if you hit both and how they compare.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thornbrugh said:

Did the 939x beat out the Pro fairway or did you only try the 939x? Curious if you hit both and how they compare.

Unfortunately the rep that I met with today didn’t have the Pro Fairway, so didn’t get to compare head-to-head.

The last 3-Wood that I had success with though was the Callaway Rogue, and the 939x has almost identical specs and feel. I also like the fact that it’s adjustable, whereas the Pro Fairway looks like it isn’t.

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

14 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Unfortunately the rep that I met with today didn’t have the Pro Fairway, so didn’t get to compare head-to-head.

The last 3-Wood that I had success with though was the Callaway Rogue, and the 939x has almost identical specs and feel. I also like the fact that it’s adjustable, whereas the Pro Fairway looks like it isn’t.

It isn’t. Some of us don’t like adjustable clubs.

speaking of... just ordered.

https://www.golfsub70.com/sub-70-949x-hybrid.html

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

7 minutes ago, jmagri78 said:

@MyherobobhopeJust seen these 949X hybrids. They look sweet, hope you enjoy it

Have one and a visor on it's way to me now! Went with a 3h to replace my old 18 degree Adams... Ironically, I was striping my hybrid in the simulator today... I'll put them head to head and toss it up here soon!

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

8 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

It isn’t. Some of us don’t like adjustable clubs.

speaking of... just ordered.

https://www.golfsub70.com/sub-70-949x-hybrid.html

Enjoy...looks like a beauty for sure!!

• Like 2

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Great experience with Sub 70. I ordered the 699U and love it. Actually had my first eagle of the year with this club. 2nd shot on a par 5 from 212 out. Hit it to 5 ft. This was only my 2nd round with the club. 

Unfortunately this happened during the 3rd round. Totally my fault. I was in some pine straw and didn't see the rocks and roots underneath. Doesn't seem to affect playability but dammit it sucks to be boogered up after 3 rounds. 

20210318_091654.jpg

• Sad 3

19 minutes ago, Volnut said:

Great experience with Sub 70. I ordered the 699U and love it. Actually had my first eagle of the year with this club. 2nd shot on a par 5 from 212 out. Hit it to 5 ft. This was only my 2nd round with the club. 

Unfortunately this happened during the 3rd round. Totally my fault. I was in some pine straw and didn't see the rocks and roots underneath. Doesn't seem to affect playability but dammit it sucks to be boogered up after 3 rounds. 

20210318_091654.jpg

That's a bummer...

I'm pretty excited to get my new hybrid in... 

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

On 3/16/2021 at 3:53 PM, JaySub70 said:

Yeah we do have some .355 taper heads in the 639 CB and MB models for anyone that is interested.  If you need those you would just have to give us a call or email us since they are not on the website.

Our head club builder has been steadfast that he does not want to shim people's irons for the reasons you stated.  While they would certainly work the large majority of the time, we don't want anyone to have issues with their irons due to the shims.  As far as I know we'll always try to keep some taper heads of the forged stuff on hand though for anyone that prefers shafts that only come in the .355 diameter

Any news on .355 taper tip 649 MB Tours?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RyKnocks said:
So I just got back from a range session to try out the 699 demos and here’s my takeaway:

- Current Gamers: Callaway XR Pro w/ KBS Tour 90v Stiff
- Demo: 699 with KBS Tour 90v Regular (my swing speed has slowed down a little)

- The 699 were a lot more forgiving across the face. Toe and thin shots weren’t as penalizing, and still had a soft feel to it. 
- Comparing pure shots on both, the XR Pros launch a bit higher and I get 5 more yards out of them. 
- What sold me was how much easier the 6i was to hit over my current 6i gamer. I’m far from a good golfer (I’m a competent golfer), and long irons give me the most trouble. The 6i was far better than my XR Pro 6i in terms of ease of use. It was confidence building to say the least. 

I’m sold at this point but wondering if you guys could offer some advice. 

I’m a tweener that fits right in between regular and stuff. Could you recommend a shaft that fits into that tweener category that could also make up for the loss in height a little? I’m eager to hear your suggestions.

I am like you. When I went for a fitting at Sub 70 Jason decided to hard step my irons. It has really worked out for me. When I’ve tried my old irons since I got my Sub 70s which are a  regular but aren’t hard stepped I definitely don’t like them as much as I once did.  I’m sure if you contact Jason he could explain better than me how it works. 

• Like 3

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

12 hours ago, Markrip said:

I am like you. When I went for a fitting at Sub 70 Jason decided to hard step my irons. It has really worked out for me. When I’ve tried my old irons since I got my Sub 70s which are a  regular but aren’t hard stepped I definitely don’t like them as much as I once did.  I’m sure if you contact Jason he could explain better than me how it works. 

Which shafts did you end up going with?

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Riptide Regular
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 4w 16* Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Tight Lies 2 4h 22* Stiff
Irons: Sub70 699u 5i/6i, 699 7-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* Tour Grind, Callaway MD2 58* Tour Grind
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Labs #10

1 hour ago, RyKnocks said:

Just email Jason... [email protected]

hes walked me through shafts a number of times.

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

18 hours ago, RyKnocks said:
So I just got back from a range session to try out the 699 demos and here’s my takeaway:

- The 699 were a lot more forgiving across the face. Toe and thin shots weren’t as penalizing, and still had a soft feel to it. 
- Comparing pure shots on both, the XR Pros launch a bit higher and I get 5 more yards out of them. 
- What sold me was how much easier the 6i was to hit over my current 6i gamer. I’m far from a good golfer (I’m a competent golfer), and long irons give me the most trouble. The 6i was far better than my XR Pro 6i in terms of ease of use. It was confidence building to say the least. 

I’m a tweener that fits right in between regular and stuff. Could you recommend a shaft that fits into that tweener category that could also make up for the loss in height a little? I’m eager to hear your suggestions.

I switched from the Callaway Mavriks to 699 Pros, and I found the Pros even just as forgiving as the frickin' Mavriks, but so much more controllable.  I've also lost about a half club in distance vs. my Callaways, but that's a sacrifice I was more than willing to make because I'm hitting more greens than ever.  It's amazing how easy these Sub70s are to hit on-target.  I'm getting GI iron-level forgiveness with player's iron control.

I'm also a "tweener," and after talking to the guys at Sub70 they recommended going KBS Tour 120 with a soft step for me.  Give them a call and talk to Jason, and he will be more than happy to talk you through the right shaft for you.  I'm guessing something like the KBS Tour 105s R flex with a hard step, but they're the experts who will be able to get you dialed in.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RyKnocks said:

Like others have said just email Jason he is great at getting the best shaft for you. I have KBS Tour 90s in my irons and 669U I picked up recently. I need lighter shafts because of some physical issues but that may not be best for you. Don’t worry about about emailing Jason because he’s the owner. Just put as much information as possible in the email and usually fairly quickly he will give you a call. 

• Like 2

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Any word on new lefty options from Sub70? I know they offer the 699 irons for lefties, but have never seen anything else available. Just wondering if I’ve missed anything, or if there’s any news on more lefty options coming soon.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

@eric61As a fellow lefty, I had the same question. I talked to Jason last week to discuss specs on the 699 irons I ordered and he said more lefty options probably won't be in the product line until next year. The good thing is there are plans to expand the lefty selection, so I guess we will just have to wait. I would love to add some more products from Sub70 to the bag as well

• Like 3

played the 639 MB's 2 summers ago and loved them...... just ordered the new 649 Tour Raw!!! 

As long as you dont care about resale value (which you shouldn't), it makes so much sense to go with sub70. The irons are as good as anything out there. $644 for forged irons is a steal. Also a nice bonus is the golf pride align grips are only additional $35 for 7 clubs

• Like 1

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

On 3/20/2021 at 4:15 PM, RyKnocks said:

If you liked your demo I would just stick with it.  A too stiff shaft is never fun to play imho.  Stick with the regular if your trying for more height or perhaps a hard step.  

• Like 2

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

@JaySub70Thanks for the clarification Jay. That's some really good news for the LH community. I'm sure it will be well worth the investment to offer a full line of product offerings in LH. Lefty's are pretty loyal to companies that listen to their needs. Looking forward to seeing what comes out.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JaySub70 said:

Right now we have the LH 699 irons and 286 wedges.  The 286 wedges are pretty much out of stock I believe but we should have more LH heads in the next couple of weeks.  We should have LH drivers, fairways, hybrids and putters in the next couple of months as well.  As far as irons, we are planning on making most future iron models available in LH from the start.  Unfortunately any new iron models at this point are likely going to be 2022 releases...but we're getting there and planning on expanding the LH stuff when possible.  Thanks!

This is great news, thank you for the update. Any chance the 699U becomes available for lefties? I'll order one the day it becomes available, if so.

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

32 minutes ago, kylesilk said:

Got some 639 mb+ and a 699 pro in the 4 slot en route.  Also 286 50,56, and JB 60.  Raw on 56 and 60.  Mb+ won the demo against 639 mb and 639 cb.

Sweet!! Looking like you’re going with an almost all Sub 70 bag...sounds awesome!

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, kylesilk said:

Thanks man.  Got 5 brands represented in the bag.

Nice...yup, all about finding the best individual fits!

I’ll be up to 5 brands once I get my 939X 3-Wood too...can’t wait!!

• Like 2

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX