2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Sub 70 Clubs

apex17

4 minutes ago, thatbaseballguy22 said:

Really have to convince myself to not buy a wood and hybrid to replace what I have in my bag. Being on this golf forum does not help with that either.

That’s too bad. Having just bought both the pro fairway 5 Wood and 2 hybrid, I can say that they’re awesome.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SugarLandGolfer said:

That’s too bad. Having just bought both the pro fairway 5 Wood and 2 hybrid, I can say that they’re awesome.

You're not helping! I think I'm going to put some artificial score "achievements" as a gift. I just started golfing after my college baseball career so I am pretty bad. Maybe I'll get one when I break 90 and one when I break 85. I can't have an entire bag of new clubs without a 20 handicap 🤣 Hopefully my 699s get me there quick.

• Like 1

...... as far as woods. Thinking about moving to g410 or g425 3-wood, 3-hybrid, 4-hybrid.

why should I go with Sub70 instead?

Currently in the bag are TM M4 HL 3-wood, 3-hybrid and 4- hybrid?

• Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

7 minutes ago, Cwing said:

...... as far as woods. Thinking about moving to g410 or g425 3-wood, 3-hybrid, 4-hybrid.

why should I go with Sub70 instead?

Currently in the bag are TM M4 HL 3-wood, 3-hybrid and 4- hybrid?

I’ve got a g410 driver and Sub70 3/5 pro fairway woods and 4/5 pro hybrids. They’ve got fantastic pop. It’s your money, and it can be easier to try ping stuff at a local store, but dollar for dollar, it’s hard to deny Sub70 value and performance. On top of that great customer service, you can get a custom club within a few weeks. Unless you get stock, you’ll be waiting a few months for ping.

• Like 3

On 4/4/2021 at 5:48 PM, kylesilk said:

The 639 mb+ is an ideal golf club for my tastes.  It's a blade, just a little bigger than your standard sized blade.  It has a thin sole, which is one of my favorite qualities in an iron.  Topline is pretty thin, just a shade thicker than my WS blade, but it looks really good.  The lofts are stronger on these, which I don't mind at all.  Seem to get really good launch on mine.  They feel really soft on flush hits, typical on mishits.  To me they do everything the WS can do but in an easier to play package.  

Do you have a few pics of yours? I’m really interested in the MB’s

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

My JB 58*, with 12* bounce came in.  Some quick snaps next to my PING Glide 2.0 58*, Standard Sole, 10* bounce.

First impression beautiful club nice milling on back, I got the RAW version so it will be interesting to see how it changes.  The grind is very similar to the SS with maybe a hiair more heel relief and a little more toe relief.  Overall sole width seems similar.  Head shape is similar.  Ping has more grooves on it so it will be interesting to see the spin difference.  I was expecting a compact package maybe like the RTX4's but this is not compact like that.  I would call it moderate in size (not game improvement like CBX by any means)

First hits in my yard I can tell it has a soft feel.  I will go to range or play later in week and report back.  I'm hoping for no diggin on chips, some ability to open up, good all around club for around the green and some forgiveness on those 50-75 yard shots.  

JB on top

thumbnail_IMG_0406.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0405.jpg

JB on left

thumbnail_IMG_0404.jpg

Edited by bbfifas
  • Like 2

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

Been eyeing the Black 639 CB’s to replace my Cobras. I accidentally ordered the 639 MB demos. Oh well maybe I’ll go with the combo set. 

• Like 1

TM M2 10.5° - Diamana BB 60s
15° TEE CB2 - Diamana BB 83s
19° Nike Covert 2.0 - Diamana BB 83s
5-PW Ping i210 - Recoil Prototype 110 F4
50° 54° 58° Cleveland Zipcore - KBS Tour Custom S
SC Classics Newport

1 month update on 649 MB Tours (Raw):

I did a custom 4-pw build with 120 X100s (installed with shims). I like longer wedges and short irons but standard length long irons so I started with a 36in pw and did 3/8 inch gaps all the way through the 4 iron. I'm coming from traditionally lofted blades with X100s so I was counting on the slightly stronger 649 lofts and lighter shafts to provide proper distance gaping with 3/8 inch length gaps. 

Pros:

The clubs are absolutely fantastic. I've never hit a better feeling club (played blades my whole life) and the ball flight, spin, and distance control is significantly better than my previous set. Mishits are not as punishing as other blades I have hit. I can't tell you how many comments I've heard about the sound these make on flushed strikes. It's just beautiful. 

Cons:

A few of the faces have been scratched (kind of roughed up) and the soles have minor chips/dents. I don't hit a lot of range balls but some of the courses I play have sand based fairways that can have some larger pebbles. The club heads are so soft that I am concerned about how well they will hold up over time. I've also had to adjust loft and lie on a few of the clubs that seem to have moved slightly through play. Again, they are SO soft that it's not surprising but it's also annoying. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

Cons:

A few of the faces have been scratched (kind of roughed up) and the soles have minor chips/dents. I don't hit a lot of range balls but some of the courses I play have sand based fairways that can have some larger pebbles. The club heads are so soft that I am concerned about how well they will hold up over time. I've also had to adjust loft and lie on a few of the clubs that seem to have moved slightly through play. Again, they are SO soft that it's not surprising but it's also annoying. 

Agreed. If there was a "flaw" for me, this would be it. I got some brand new 699s, and also thought that the faces were a little roughed up for not hitting that many balls.

1 hour ago, thatbaseballguy22 said:

Agreed. If there was a "flaw" for me, this would be it. I got some brand new 699s, and also thought that the faces were a little roughed up for not hitting that many balls.

Yeah but the DT-4 steel used in the 639s and 649s (and JB wedges) is something else all together. Softest clubs I've ever seen.

• Like 1

built myself a 10 piece set while bored at work. this is dangerous

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

I’m in the process of ordering 639mb with Fuji tour spec 95. Pretty awesome company and the service and communication is top notch. I’m also ordering a pro tour 14* to try the woods. If it’s on the money for me I’ll order the hybrids. It’s companies like this I want to support if the product is top notch. Getting texts and calls from the CEO on weekends isn’t necessary but it shows a lot about how much they value the customers. It’s also nice on an up charge shaft that it’s way cheaper than I can buy the same shaft anywhere on line. I won’t talk numbers but let’s just say I was impressed by it. I’m excited to try my clubs in a few weeks. 

Edited by mogc60
  • Like 4

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

Update on JB 58/12 wedge first practice session.  Went to usual green and hit around.  What I found

1.) these are soft feeling for sure.   The size of the wedge give you confidence it's not compact.  

2.) I was getting ample spin with my BX ball (new wedge spin is always nice)

3.) Starting to patina already! This is the RAW version.

4.) I can open the face and actually hit a flop now off tighter lies.  This was big struggle with my Glide SS wedge I felt I had to always play square shots around the green and struggled with getting height and opening face exposed too much of leading edge.  In fact I found myself opening face few degrees for most shots to get the bounce in play and a nice height on my chips.

5.) Toe down runners were easy and predictable spin. 

Overall solid performance chipping and pitching.  I will take to course hopefully tomorrow and see how full shots perform.  I think the GLIDE series wedges are great on full shots so my guess it will be tough to beat but you never know.  

• Like 1

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

Received the 639mb demos yesterday. The free merch and hand written card were nice touches. Clubs look great and hopefully I can get to the range soon.

• Like 1

SC Classics Newport

19 hours ago, tastywaves said:

Dangerous indeed, currently eyeing a 939x 4 hybrid to replace my 4 iron and then found myself looking at utility irons as well. Anyone have experience hitting both offerings from them?

I originally purchased the 3 utility 4 iron, but I had challenges 1) using utility iron on anything but tee shots, and 2) getting consistent results from 4 iron.

In the last 2 weeks I got a 5 pro fairway Wood to replace  the 3 utility and a 949 pro fairway to replace the 4 iron. More versatile setup in more scenarios. At first, I was pulling both clubs left pretty hard, but I think that was mostly due to a grip change (moved to Vardon over Interlock) at the same time. At the range yesterday I was hitting both very consistent and straight. Both have been a good move for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

quick update on the low bounce 58* JB wedge.  This thing is money, really consistent with a great feel.  I'm really pleased so far after 4 or 5 rounds.  No complaints at all, at this point it's replaced by SM8 58*   When the course softens up, might need to reconsider the low bounce but time will tell on that.  

• Like 2

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

Anyone have the 949x pro hybrid in their bag?  I'm looking to replace my 2 hybrid which is a dinosaur.  It looks tempting with no offset, smaller profile and 1* open face. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Got some range time with the 639mb/KBS demos. Heads feel soft for sure but I didn’t care for the KBS shafts. I think I’ll stick with the TI X100s. Considering selling my sets to pickup Black 639cb with Onyx TT TI x100s. 🤔

• Like 1

SC Classics Newport

14 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Anyone have the 949x pro hybrid in their bag?  I'm looking to replace my 2 hybrid which is a dinosaur.  It looks tempting with no offset, smaller profile and 1* open face. 

Yea it's very solid.  The head shape took a little to get use too but, it beat out my apex pro hybrid I had in the bag for a few years.

• Like 3

It’s awesome... I replaced an Adams idea, and love it... I never thought it looked goofy, though...

it’s an improvement over my old hybrid, I like that it’s not adjustable and you can’t beat the price... definitely worth a look! Let me know if you have any questions.

C77F9133-F143-4B4B-B51A-810CB94DB3DB.jpeg

E7755763-80CD-48C7-9387-BFC9D64E28A1.jpeg

1E5C8F41-EDA5-4ACD-A674-60066FCD9BE1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

1 minute ago, Myherobobhope said:

It’s awesome... I replaced an Adams idea, and love it... I never thought it looked goofy, though...

it’s an improvement over my old hybrid, I like that it’s not adjustable and you can’t beat the price... definitely worth a look! Let me know if you have any questions.

C77F9133-F143-4B4B-B51A-810CB94DB3DB.jpeg

E7755763-80CD-48C7-9387-BFC9D64E28A1.jpeg

1E5C8F41-EDA5-4ACD-A674-60066FCD9BE1.jpeg

I like the smaller head and what looks to be no offset.  I did see on their website that they have other shaft offerings.  I did email them about that.  I'm specifically looking for the Ventus Black or KBS proto.  280 for one with the upgraded Ventus Blue is a deal IMO but I need a lower launching/spinning shaft like the ones I mentioned.  Hopefully Jay gets back to me ASAP on this. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

3rd recommendation for the hybrid. It took a session at the driving range since I was converting from irons to hybrids, but once I was able to figure out how to line up the face, they are long and tall. I’ve got decent swing speed (driver 105+) and these have a piercing flight to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I like the smaller head and what looks to be no offset.  I did see on their website that they have other shaft offerings.  I did email them about that.  I'm specifically looking for the Ventus Black or KBS proto.  280 for one with the upgraded Ventus Blue is a deal IMO but I need a lower launching/spinning shaft like the ones I mentioned.  Hopefully Jay gets back to me ASAP on this. 

I was fit into a Ventus black in my driver last fall, and I went for a Ventus blue for my Sub70 pro fairway 3 Wood, so I’m moderately familiar with them. However, because of cost ($200-300 on 5 clubs adds up), I wanted to try something closer to stock. I ended up in the Aldila NVS 85 hybrid shaft in the hybrids and I’m able to keep the flight down. Since I’m not a pro, I honestly can’t tell enough difference between the shafts to justify the added cost performance wise.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2021 at 5:05 PM, Liveonce said:

I have the 639 cb...definitely the best feeling iron I’ve hit, just need to find some new shafts. Have my eye out for modus 105 stiff to make the irons perfect. 

What OEM (Taylormade, Callaway, etc.) iron would you say the 639cb is comparable to?

• Like 1

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7