I initially bought the 699 Pro 5-PW with the intention of either picking up a 4 iron or AW based on my distances and gapping, plus doing a shaft fitting at a local shop, and after a few weeks of adjusting to the KBS Tour 120 shafts in my irons (first steel shafts I've ever gamed, so way heavier than I'm used to but feel amazing), in the shaft fitting it actually turns out the Tour 120s recommended by the guys at Sub70 were spot on for me.  I tested them against a couple Modus models, Project X, and Dynamic Golds, and my numbers were by far the best and most consistent with the KBS shafts I already had.  I'm continually getting better at working these irons and shaping them, and they're feeling better and better every round.  I'm SO happy with them, and I've gotten multiple compliments from people I've been paired with on how good they look.  

Anyway, after confirming my distances with them on the simulator, I picked up the AW to fill the gap which arrived last week, and the very next day I went out after work to play 9 at a local muni with a buddy.  One hole is a ~90 yard par 3, which I hit 2 tee shots on with my AW just for practice since no one was behind us, and I stuck them both 8 feet from the pin.  This has always been an awkward hole for me, but these two shots felt perfect.  2 holes later is a very short par 4, playing down wind that day, and my tee shot ended up just in front of the green with the pin set way towards the back.  I pulled out my shiny new AW to chip and let it run back towards the hole, hoping for a birdie chance or at least a tap-in par, and I SUNK THE CHIP FOR MY FIRST EVER EAGLE!  Pretty happy I picked up that AW just in time!  

Just for good measure, the following hole is another par 3 which had the regular tee box at about 140 and a funky provisional tee box for some reason back up a hill at around 175, so I hit 2 tee shots again, one from the longer tee box with my 5 iron, and one from the regular tee box with my 8.  My 5 iron one-hopped-and-stopped right in the middle of the green, and my 8 iron stuck 4 feet from the hole.  I've never had irons where I could be absolutely confident in my distances and shot shape, but the 699 Pros make it feel easy.  Anyway, I'm rambling at this point, but I love these irons more and more every single round. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been browsing GolfWRX forums for a long time but finally decided to make an account just so I could chime in on my experience with the Sub70 699s and 699 Pros so far.  Sorry in advance for the no

Our forged stuff is super soft.  We tested 5-6 different materials and I believe the DT4 we use is actually one notch softer than the 1020 carbon that has been popular in forged models.  That being sa

Well, to update my earlier short review - these clubs are amazing. I really hit them well today, and yes, better than my Srixons. I was surprised by that, but they felt less harsh on mishits and the d

Posted Images

7 hours ago, RyKnocks said:

How’s the bite on these wedges as compared to offerings from Titleist/Cleveland/Callaway/etc? Anyone have spin numbers on these? Also, how’s the feel? I would say Vokeys are pretty soft feeling, while RTX/MackDaddys are more firm feeling. Where would one put these?

Feel wise, having played vokeys for years, these are much softer than vokeys. Really not even close but they are forged vs a cast Vokey. I don't have spin numbers but these have great bite. However, keep in mind, my previous wedges were years old and worn. So in comparison to those almost any wedge will have great spin. That said I can get these to bite in a way I haven't done in a while. I even ripped back a lofted chip from a hill with my lob last round. I actually hit it too far and my old wedge would have rolled off the back but instead it pulled back, likely due to the high spin and steep decent angle. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, HorseMeatSandwich said:

I initially bought the 699 Pro 5-PW with the intention of either picking up a 4 iron or AW based on my distances and gapping, plus doing a shaft fitting at a local shop, and after a few weeks of adjusting to the KBS Tour 120 shafts in my irons (first steel shafts I've ever gamed, so way heavier than I'm used to but feel amazing), in the shaft fitting it actually turns out the Tour 120s recommended by the guys at Sub70 were spot on for me.  I tested them against a couple Modus models, Project X, and Dynamic Golds, and my numbers were by far the best and most consistent with the KBS shafts I already had.  I'm continually getting better at working these irons and shaping them, and they're feeling better and better every round.  I'm SO happy with them, and I've gotten multiple compliments from people I've been paired with on how good they look.  

Anyway, after confirming my distances with them on the simulator, I picked up the AW to fill the gap which arrived last week, and the very next day I went out after work to play 9 at a local muni with a buddy.  One hole is a ~90 yard par 3, which I hit 2 tee shots on with my AW just for practice since no one was behind us, and I stuck them both 8 feet from the pin.  This has always been an awkward hole for me, but these two shots felt perfect.  2 holes later is a very short par 4, playing down wind that day, and my tee shot ended up just in front of the green with the pin set way towards the back.  I pulled out my shiny new AW to chip and let it run back towards the hole, hoping for a birdie chance or at least a tap-in par, and I SUNK THE CHIP FOR MY FIRST EVER EAGLE!  Pretty happy I picked up that AW just in time!  

Just for good measure, the following hole is another par 3 which had the regular tee box at about 140 and a funky provisional tee box for some reason back up a hill at around 175, so I hit 2 tee shots again, one from the longer tee box with my 5 iron, and one from the regular tee box with my 8.  My 5 iron one-hopped-and-stopped right in the middle of the green, and my 8 iron stuck 4 feet from the hole.  I've never had irons where I could be absolutely confident in my distances and shot shape, but the 699 Pros make it feel easy.  Anyway, I'm rambling at this point, but I love these irons more and more every single round. 

Glad you're loving them!

I will say one thing... As much as you love the 699 Pro (and I have almost 100% decided that's going to be the set for me when I upgrade my 20 year old clubs this summer), I think the biggest reason you're doing better is the shaft... Sounds like every club you've ever played were with graphite shafts that were WAY too light for you, and you were compensating for them in your swing. Now that you're not needing to compensate, everything works.

That said, kudos to the Sub70 guys for getting you into the right shaft, and for making such awesome clubs that you got a great set that's perfect for you at WAY less money than the big OEMs... 

By the summer, hopefully I'll be playing some 699 Pros too 😉 

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Glad you're loving them!

I will say one thing... As much as you love the 699 Pro (and I have almost 100% decided that's going to be the set for me when I upgrade my 20 year old clubs this summer), I think the biggest reason you're doing better is the shaft... Sounds like every club you've ever played were with graphite shafts that were WAY too light for you, and you were compensating for them in your swing. Now that you're not needing to compensate, everything works.

That said, kudos to the Sub70 guys for getting you into the right shaft, and for making such awesome clubs that you got a great set that's perfect for you at WAY less money than the big OEMs... 

By the summer, hopefully I'll be playing some 699 Pros too 😉 

Yeah, I agree that the shaft change is having the biggest positive effect for me, but also just upgrading from GI irons to more of a player's iron profile has been a huge plus for me.  I could hit the GI irons a mile, but I could never dream of this kind of accuracy or feel on pured shots.  I thought I just sucked (which might still be the case), but it's amazing what having the right equipment will do!  Best of luck with your Pros - I hope you love them as much as I do.

• Like 1