• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been browsing GolfWRX forums for a long time but finally decided to make an account just so I could chime in on my experience with the Sub70 699s and 699 Pros so far.  Sorry in advance for the no

Got these beauties in yesterday!! Went with the raw version and I’m excited to see how they rust up   Says that toe weight helps diminish face closure so I’ll really put that to the test wit

Our forged stuff is super soft.  We tested 5-6 different materials and I believe the DT4 we use is actually one notch softer than the 1020 carbon that has been popular in forged models.  That being sa

Posted Images

4 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

Cons:

A few of the faces have been scratched (kind of roughed up) and the soles have minor chips/dents. I don't hit a lot of range balls but some of the courses I play have sand based fairways that can have some larger pebbles. The club heads are so soft that I am concerned about how well they will hold up over time. I've also had to adjust loft and lie on a few of the clubs that seem to have moved slightly through play. Again, they are SO soft that it's not surprising but it's also annoying. 

Agreed. If there was a "flaw" for me, this would be it. I got some brand new 699s, and also thought that the faces were a little roughed up for not hitting that many balls.

1 hour ago, thatbaseballguy22 said:

Agreed. If there was a "flaw" for me, this would be it. I got some brand new 699s, and also thought that the faces were a little roughed up for not hitting that many balls.

Yeah but the DT-4 steel used in the 639s and 649s (and JB wedges) is something else all together. Softest clubs I've ever seen.

• Like 1

built myself a 10 piece set while bored at work. this is dangerous

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ with XStiff Fujikura Pro 63. [Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"]

2H: Callaway Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: Sub70 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting or 2 DI:  PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 2.5* upright

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: Snell MTB-X

Tracked by Arccos

Posted (edited)

I’m in the process of ordering 639mb with Fuji tour spec 95. Pretty awesome company and the service and communication is top notch. I’m also ordering a pro tour 14* to try the woods. If it’s on the money for me I’ll order the hybrids. It’s companies like this I want to support if the product is top notch. Getting texts and calls from the CEO on weekends isn’t necessary but it shows a lot about how much they value the customers. It’s also nice on an up charge shaft that it’s way cheaper than I can buy the same shaft anywhere on line. I won’t talk numbers but let’s just say I was impressed by it. I’m excited to try my clubs in a few weeks. 

Edited by mogc60
  • Like 4

SRIXON ZX5 9.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 60X.                                              SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               SRIXON H85 16 MATRIX BLACKTIE 95 SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                   CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0                                         CLEVELAND RTX4 58* CATALYST 100 6.0.                                             SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

Update on JB 58/12 wedge first practice session.  Went to usual green and hit around.  What I found

1.) these are soft feeling for sure.   The size of the wedge give you confidence it's not compact.  

2.) I was getting ample spin with my BX ball (new wedge spin is always nice)

3.) Starting to patina already! This is the RAW version.

4.) I can open the face and actually hit a flop now off tighter lies.  This was big struggle with my Glide SS wedge I felt I had to always play square shots around the green and struggled with getting height and opening face exposed too much of leading edge.  In fact I found myself opening face few degrees for most shots to get the bounce in play and a nice height on my chips.

5.) Toe down runners were easy and predictable spin. 

Overall solid performance chipping and pitching.  I will take to course hopefully tomorrow and see how full shots perform.  I think the GLIDE series wedges are great on full shots so my guess it will be tough to beat but you never know.  

• Like 1

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff*/
PING glide 2.0, 54* and 58*, SS, Modus 120 stiff (Testing Sub 70 JB 58/12 with Modus 120)
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Alternate putter Wilson The L)
Bridgestone Tour BX

Received the 639mb demos yesterday. The free merch and hand written card were nice touches. Clubs look great and hopefully I can get to the range soon.

• Like 1

TM M2 10.5 - Diamana BB 60s
16.5° TM M2 - Diamana WB 
19° Nike Covert 2.0 - Diamana BB 83s
5-PW Cobra King Forged CB/MB - DG TI x100
50° 54° 58° Nike VR Forged
Scotty Cameron Classics Newport

19 hours ago, tastywaves said:

Dangerous indeed, currently eyeing a 939x 4 hybrid to replace my 4 iron and then found myself looking at utility irons as well. Anyone have experience hitting both offerings from them?

I originally purchased the 3 utility 4 iron, but I had challenges 1) using utility iron on anything but tee shots, and 2) getting consistent results from 4 iron.

In the last 2 weeks I got a 5 pro fairway Wood to replace  the 3 utility and a 949 pro fairway to replace the 4 iron. More versatile setup in more scenarios. At first, I was pulling both clubs left pretty hard, but I think that was mostly due to a grip change (moved to Vardon over Interlock) at the same time. At the range yesterday I was hitting both very consistent and straight. Both have been a good move for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

quick update on the low bounce 58* JB wedge.  This thing is money, really consistent with a great feel.  I'm really pleased so far after 4 or 5 rounds.  No complaints at all, at this point it's replaced by SM8 58*   When the course softens up, might need to reconsider the low bounce but time will tell on that.  

• Like 2

TM M4   SIM2 Autoflex 505
Epic 15*
Sub70 3 hybrid
Sub70 4 hybrid
Sub70 5 hybrid

Sub70 6 hybrid
Apex 21 irons  6-gap
54* SM8
58* SM8 or Sub70 JB low bounce 58*
PXG Operator H

Anyone have the 949x pro hybrid in their bag?  I'm looking to replace my 2 hybrid which is a dinosaur.  It looks tempting with no offset, smaller profile and 1* open face. 

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Got some range time with the 639mb/KBS demos. Heads feel soft for sure but I didn’t care for the KBS shafts. I think I’ll stick with the TI X100s. Considering selling my sets to pickup Black 639cb with Onyx TT TI x100s. 🤔

• Like 1

TM M2 10.5 - Diamana BB 60s
16.5° TM M2 - Diamana WB 
19° Nike Covert 2.0 - Diamana BB 83s
5-PW Cobra King Forged CB/MB - DG TI x100
50° 54° 58° Nike VR Forged
Scotty Cameron Classics Newport

14 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Anyone have the 949x pro hybrid in their bag?  I'm looking to replace my 2 hybrid which is a dinosaur.  It looks tempting with no offset, smaller profile and 1* open face. 

Yea it's very solid.  The head shape took a little to get use too but, it beat out my apex pro hybrid I had in the bag for a few years.

• Like 3

It’s awesome... I replaced an Adams idea, and love it... I never thought it looked goofy, though...

it’s an improvement over my old hybrid, I like that it’s not adjustable and you can’t beat the price... definitely worth a look! Let me know if you have any questions.

C77F9133-F143-4B4B-B51A-810CB94DB3DB.jpeg

E7755763-80CD-48C7-9387-BFC9D64E28A1.jpeg

1E5C8F41-EDA5-4ACD-A674-60066FCD9BE1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

1 minute ago, Myherobobhope said:

It’s awesome... I replaced an Adams idea, and love it... I never thought it looked goofy, though...

it’s an improvement over my old hybrid, I like that it’s not adjustable and you can’t beat the price... definitely worth a look! Let me know if you have any questions.

C77F9133-F143-4B4B-B51A-810CB94DB3DB.jpeg

E7755763-80CD-48C7-9387-BFC9D64E28A1.jpeg

1E5C8F41-EDA5-4ACD-A674-60066FCD9BE1.jpeg

I like the smaller head and what looks to be no offset.  I did see on their website that they have other shaft offerings.  I did email them about that.  I'm specifically looking for the Ventus Black or KBS proto.  280 for one with the upgraded Ventus Blue is a deal IMO but I need a lower launching/spinning shaft like the ones I mentioned.  Hopefully Jay gets back to me ASAP on this. 

• Like 2

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

3rd recommendation for the hybrid. It took a session at the driving range since I was converting from irons to hybrids, but once I was able to figure out how to line up the face, they are long and tall. I’ve got decent swing speed (driver 105+) and these have a piercing flight to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I like the smaller head and what looks to be no offset.  I did see on their website that they have other shaft offerings.  I did email them about that.  I'm specifically looking for the Ventus Black or KBS proto.  280 for one with the upgraded Ventus Blue is a deal IMO but I need a lower launching/spinning shaft like the ones I mentioned.  Hopefully Jay gets back to me ASAP on this. 

I was fit into a Ventus black in my driver last fall, and I went for a Ventus blue for my Sub70 pro fairway 3 Wood, so I’m moderately familiar with them. However, because of cost ($200-300 on 5 clubs adds up), I wanted to try something closer to stock. I ended up in the Aldila NVS 85 hybrid shaft in the hybrids and I’m able to keep the flight down. Since I’m not a pro, I honestly can’t tell enough difference between the shafts to justify the added cost performance wise.

• Like 2
On 5/4/2021 at 5:05 PM, Liveonce said:

I have the 639 cb...definitely the best feeling iron I’ve hit, just need to find some new shafts. Have my eye out for modus 105 stiff to make the irons perfect. 

What OEM (Taylormade, Callaway, etc.) iron would you say the 639cb is comparable to?

• Like 1

I have 14 clubs.

8 minutes ago, SugarLandGolfer said:

I was fit into a Ventus black in my driver last fall, and I went for a Ventus blue for my Sub70 pro fairway 3 Wood, so I’m moderately familiar with them. However, because of cost ($200-300 on 5 clubs adds up), I wanted to try something closer to stock. I ended up in the Aldila NVS 85 hybrid shaft in the hybrids and I’m able to keep the flight down. Since I’m not a pro, I honestly can’t tell enough difference between the shafts to justify the added cost performance wise.

I hear ya.  I went with the KBS proto for my UDI because it performed as well as the Ventus Black and was 40 bucks cheaper.  I won't cut corners when it comes to my golf clubs, however, I'm not adverse to saving some dough where I can, hence why I'm more than willing to go DTC for hybrid.  I can't see myself spending 350 plus for one especially when smaller companies like Sub 70 and New Level perform just as well. 

• Like 2

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

5 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I hear ya.  I went with the KBS proto for my UDI because it performed as well as the Ventus Black and was 40 bucks cheaper.  I won't cut corners when it comes to my golf clubs, however, I'm not adverse to saving some dough where I can, hence why I'm more than willing to go DTC for hybrid.  I can't see myself spending 350 plus for one especially when smaller companies like Sub 70 and New Level perform just as well. 

I like to think of my Ventus shafts as a luxury car. They’re very nice, and they do have things I can’t get on non luxury, but I can’t justify as luxury shaft in every club at this time (cmon mega millions).

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, SugarLandGolfer said:

I like to think of my Ventus shafts as a luxury car. They’re very nice, and they do have things I can’t get on non luxury, but I can’t justify as luxury shaft in every club at this time (cmon mega millions).

Nice analogy.  I like to think of it more as that sexy little number that you know you have to drop some serious moolah for just so she'll get in bed with ya, lol. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 2

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

27 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Nice analogy.  I like to think of it more as that sexy little number that you know you have to drop some serious moolah for just so she'll get in bed with ya, lol. 

They definitely have access to more shafts... Jason (the owner) runs a few other golf websites... I’m in a s400 On my 639 and it’s not on the stock offerings.

i went with the proforce v2 as I want higher launch and spin on my hybrid... have the ventus black in my driver.

• Like 2

As of 1/24/21

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

1 hour ago, Jmccas said:

What OEM (Taylormade, Callaway, etc.) iron would you say the 639cb is comparable to?

639CB is basically just a traditional cavity back... Think TaylorMade RAC... they are just perimeter weighted clubs. They don't have speed foam, they don't have tungsten, they don't have a damper in the middle of the club... 

They look and feel great, but I wouldn't compare them to many modern clubs. 

• Like 1

As of 1/24/21

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

10 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

639CB is basically just a traditional cavity back... Think TaylorMade RAC... they are just perimeter weighted clubs. They don't have speed foam, they don't have tungsten, they don't have a damper in the middle of the club... 

They look and feel great, but I wouldn't compare them to many modern clubs. 

Thanks for that.  I demoed them a few months ago and I am perplexed why I hit them so well - they were automatic. Not sure if my swing was just grooving well during the demo period or if it was the club itself.  I typically shoot in the mid 90s (but I am a 14.4 index which also perplexes me) so I would think the 639cb would be too much of a player's iron for my skill level. 

• Like 2

I have 14 clubs.

On 5/4/2021 at 9:29 AM, mgoblue83 said:

1 month update on 649 MB Tours (Raw):

I did a custom 4-pw build with 120 X100s (installed with shims). I like longer wedges and short irons but standard length long irons so I started with a 36in pw and did 3/8 inch gaps all the way through the 4 iron. I'm coming from traditionally lofted blades with X100s so I was counting on the slightly stronger 649 lofts and lighter shafts to provide proper distance gaping with 3/8 inch length gaps. 

Pros:

The clubs are absolutely fantastic. I've never hit a better feeling club (played blades my whole life) and the ball flight, spin, and distance control is significantly better than my previous set. Mishits are not as punishing as other blades I have hit. I can't tell you how many comments I've heard about the sound these make on flushed strikes. It's just beautiful. 

Cons:

A few of the faces have been scratched (kind of roughed up) and the soles have minor chips/dents. I don't hit a lot of range balls but some of the courses I play have sand based fairways that can have some larger pebbles. The club heads are so soft that I am concerned about how well they will hold up over time. I've also had to adjust loft and lie on a few of the clubs that seem to have moved slightly through play. Again, they are SO soft that it's not surprising but it's also annoying. 

That softness factor has me a wee bit hesitant.  In past years, it wouldn't have bothered me; I've gone through a couple metric tons of forged iron sets.  These days, I'm starting to have hesitation on such things, even with the sets I already own.  It's to the point I'm thinking about i200/i210 or older indestructo-Pings in place of my Golden Rams or Mizunos.  <gasp>

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h, NV105 S

Irons grab bag:  2-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedge grab bag:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

2 hours ago, Jmccas said:

i would say it’s a bit in a class of its own, I would say srixon if I had to compare. I also thought they felt quite a bit better than Mizuno 919 forged. My only gripe is the .370 parallel tip which is not an overly big deal and I think sub 70 offers .355 if requested 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Jmccas said:

Thanks for that.  I demoed them a few months ago and I am perplexed why I hit them so well - they were automatic. Not sure if my swing was just grooving well during the demo period or if it was the club itself.  I typically shoot in the mid 90s (but I am a 14.4 index which also perplexes me) so I would think the 639cb would be too much of a player's iron for my skill level. 

I mean... I played the Taylor made burner for 25 years at various skill levels... they are pretty much the same design... play what you enjoy playing... or get them from 7-PW and get the 699 for 6 and lower.

• Like 3

As of 1/24/21

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

26 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

I mean... I played the Taylor made burner for 25 years at various skill levels... they are pretty much the same design... play what you enjoy playing... or get them from 7-PW and get the 699 for 6 and lower.

Don’t tempt me 🤪

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ with XStiff Fujikura Pro 63. [Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"]

2H: Callaway Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: Sub70 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting or 2 DI:  PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 2.5* upright

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: Snell MTB-X

Tracked by Arccos