Sub 70 Clubs

apex17

5 hours ago, gtg662y said:

So my black TAIIIs showed up today.  It's a little bittersweet.  The look awesome, but coming out of the box, several had finish issues.  I'm not sure in what step, but the center topline on half of them had some minor finish... failure/wear/loss???  They were packaged well- tight shrink wrap on the heads, then individually wrapped in bubble wrap.  Robust box.  So banging around in the box due to rough handling by UPS shouldn't have been an issue.  Looking closer (pics included), it almost looks like post assembly, the shrink wrapped clubs may have been suspended by hanging from the head?  I am not super picky about bag chatter & stuff like that, but I think I'm going to reach back out to them considering they are brand new.  I would hope the finish would stand up a little better than that; especially on such an odd and visually prominent place at address.  Either way, they are gorgeous and tomorrow I'll find out how they feel.

IMG-0068.jpg

IMG-0069.jpg

IMG-0072.jpg

IMG-0073.jpg

Looks like the clamp for the lie adjustment machine. 

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

7 hours ago, gtg662y said:

You know what, I did have them bent 1° up.

I'd almost bet money on it. 

Usually, I use a piece of cardboard or a thick leather swatch to avoid exactly that. I don't think it's a finish issue. Just whoever bent them, was inexperienced or rushing. Good thing is, Sub70 will make right. 

• Like 1

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

Huge fan of Sub70 

Early this year I ordered a set of 699pro irons based off reviews and online looks.  They showed up, not to my eye.  They immediately responded to an email and allowed me to exchange them for the 639cb.  No questions asked.  And I had hit the 7 iron already.  

I got the raw version and now they are not only great playing clubs but they look sweet.  Their customer service is fantastic as well.  Will be a loyal customer.

• Like 2

🍊

21 minutes ago, DHoch said:

So I got my 699 Pro demos in the mail today, and got to hit a few at the range before I had to pick up a pizza. Love the look of the club, but the face felt completely dead. Has anyone else run into that issue? Is it the club, or is it because it’s a demo and therefore been beat to death?

If you come from springy clubs like the speed slotted TMs or the Cally Cup Face, I can see where you can come away with that. The improvement over those is you won’t get the fliers that go 20 extra yards for no reason. 

It could also be that the shaft doesn’t agree with you. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Riptide Regular
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 4w 16* Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Tight Lies 2 4h 22* Stiff
Irons: Sub70 699u 5i/6i, 699 7-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* Tour Grind, Callaway MD2 58* Tour Grind
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Labs #10

Yeah, that’s definitely something I thought of too. I recently started gaming the Cobra Radspeed irons, and the ball jumps like crazy. Flyers are definitely an issue I’m looking to address. My plan is to put the demos in the bag tomorrow in the place of their nearest cobra equivalent and see how it goes in real time. I’ll report back afterwards 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DHoch said:

So I got my 699 Pro demos in the mail today, and got to hit a few at the range before I had to pick up a pizza. Love the look of the club, but the face felt completely dead. Has anyone else run into that issue? Is it the club, or is it because it’s a demo and therefore been beat to death?

Not really but I come from game improvement irons such G410s which I felt had no feeling 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 11:14 AM, Break68 said:

Anyone tried the Sub 70 Sycamore 005 Wide Blade Putter?

Interested in this as well. Also wondering if it's possible to order with a regular steel shaft? Not a big fan of the blacked out look.

• Like 1

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

Ok, ran the demos today and was very impressed. It looks like there are people from the company on this thread, so I’d like to throw a request out. Can someone shoot me a status about grip and shaft inventory? I’ve heard the major shortages are KBS shafts and golf pride grips. I could go a few ways on both fronts, and if that leads to getting clubs faster, I’d go that route.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DHoch said:

Ok, ran the demos today and was very impressed. It looks like there are people from the company on this thread, so I’d like to throw a request out. Can someone shoot me a status about grip and shaft inventory? I’ve heard the major shortages are KBS shafts and golf pride grips. I could go a few ways on both fronts, and if that leads to getting clubs faster, I’d go that route.

Recommend you just give them a call. 

My build for my wedges was very unique, so I handled it over the phone rather than trying to communicate it through an online order. I assume they should be able to let you know whether the stock for what you want or any alternates are good to go over the phone.

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

1 hour ago, DHoch said:

I was told if it’s listed it’s on the website it’s in stock 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JaySub70 said:

I don't see why we can't do that...I'd just give us a call or email [email protected] to line that up. Thanks!!!

Thanks for the response. Hope to order one soon.

• Like 1

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

So I was messing around at the range this morning with another demo club that had a true temper dynamic gold shaft with an r300 flex. I was killing the ball with it. My swing speed with a 7 iron is around 80 mph, and driver only touches the mid 90s. I’ve played stiff shafts most of my life. Should I drop down to regular flex?

I would also note that the dynamic gold shaft is heavier than I thought I would like. I had AP3s in the AMT Black shaft in s300 flex, and felt like it was too heavy to control properly, especially in my longer irons.

Thoughts?

6 hours ago, DHoch said:

So I was messing around at the range this morning with another demo club that had a true temper dynamic gold shaft with an r300 flex. I was killing the ball with it. My swing speed with a 7 iron is around 80 mph, and driver only touches the mid 90s. I’ve played stiff shafts most of my life. Should I drop down to regular flex?

I would also note that the dynamic gold shaft is heavier than I thought I would like. I had AP3s in the AMT Black shaft in s300 flex, and felt like it was too heavy to control properly, especially in my longer irons.

Thoughts?

I talked to Jason about this exact issue. I’m in between R and S flex. After I told him my typical yardages, he recommended going with R flex, but with a 1/4 hard step. Also convinced me to go up to a 105g shaft for more stability. 

I have been hitting the ball the best I have my whole life. Love my clubs. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DHoch said:

Thoughts?

When Jason fit me for irons a couple of years ago he hard stepped them because I’m also one of those in between guys. They have worked great. My old irons have the same shaft in regular but are not hard stepped and I really don’t like them that much anymore.

• Like 1

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

25 minutes ago, DHoch said:

What is hard stepping? Like what does it do? Please forgive my ignorance, but I've never heard of it.

Hard stepping (and soft stepping) is something that originated with tapered iron shafts.  Hard stepping is taking the shaft made for the 7 iron and installing it in the 6 iron. 

Soft stepping is going the opposite direction.

Hard stepping will make the club play slightly stiffer, by virtue of the shaft having a slightly lighter clubhead on it.  The amount of flex change will depend on the shaft profile, and the distance between flexes.  Dynamic Gold has a longer range between R and S than the original Rifle shaft, for example.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

13 minutes ago, Navistar said:

How do you know when stepping may be a better alternative to altering the length of the shaft? I tend to like my clubs a little shorter. 36.5" 7 iron for example. Of course cutting the shaft changes the weight balance. 

It’s not really an either or thing. Soft or hard stepping is needed when you’re in between flexes. The length is more a physical fit issue. So you may need shorter shafts that are then hard or soft stepped based on desire profile of the shaft. When you hard or soft step you move the shafts around but then butt trim the shaft to whatever your desired length is to dial in the shaft so a hard stepped shaft can be built to whatever length you want. 

Hard or soft stepping shafts can also just be used to alter the desired characteristics of a shaft, or example soft stepping can help create a soft tip section leading to higher launch/higher spin. Sometimes this is done to an extreme degree to setup a high spin wedge shaft. So it’s really just another way you can dial in the right shaft profile for your swing/game. 

Edited by *sigh*

35 minutes ago, Navistar said:

How do you know when stepping may be a better alternative to altering the length of the shaft? I tend to like my clubs a little shorter. 36.5" 7 iron for example. Of course cutting the shaft changes the weight balance. 

Just chiming in to say "what *sigh* said"  🙂

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

9 hours ago, Navistar said:

Adjusting length usually happens at the butt end (grip end) of the shaft. Stepping usually happens at the tip/club end of the shaft.

On 7/26/2021 at 6:44 AM, DHoch said:

Ok, so we've officially entered the 'call the company instead of going through the website' phase lol?

Thank you for the helpful reply.

To be fair, if I'm assuming what your comment means -

I emailed Sub70 no less than 15 times. I've had a response within 

hours, even on the weekend. Jay looped-in three other guys that had an exact answer for my questions. I'd just email exactly what you want, and you'll have your answer quicker than most other companies even read your email.

Edited by Hack Daddy
  • Like 2

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

16 hours ago, Hack Daddy said:

To be fair, if I'm assuming what your comment means -

I emailed Sub70 no less than 15 times. I've had a response within 

hours, even on the weekend. Jay looped-in three other guys that had an exact answer for my questions. I'd just email exactly what you want, and you'll have your answer quicker than most other companies even read your email.

I'll second this. You can definitely call, but if you email you'll get a response very quickly.

I'm currently having an issue with a fairway wood I recently received (2 weeks ago) that I'll need to send back to Sub 70 for a repair/replacement. I emailed them on Sunday evening and had a response first thing Monday morning. 

The downside is they said they aren't able to send me a replacement due to low inventory, but they have offered to repair the head and have it back to me within 4-5 days. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

You can definitely call, but if you email you'll get a response very quickly.

Adding to this, I sent an email yesterday morning with a question.  They got back to me rather quickly, less than two hours.

• Like 2