Sub 70 Clubs

apex17

1 minute ago, Navistar said:

I'm not a seasoned player by any means but the sole plays more of a role to me than the top line and everything I have played had some offset so I am liking these pretty well for day 2 

I’m not a club expert either, and agree the sole is more important, but the top line does matter from a looks perspective.  That was always my problem with Callaway irons, they just never suited my eye.  I know this isn’t scientific, but us golfers have strange quirks when it comes to clubs. 

• Like 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

2 hours ago, Navistar said:

I'm not a seasoned player by any means but the sole plays more of a role to me than the top line and everything I have played had some offset so I am liking these pretty well for day 2 

What’s most important is they fit your eye and instill confidence over the ball. For some reasons I can’t seem to get used to offset and thick top lines. 

They are nice clubs and I’m enjoying mine!

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 12:41 PM, 13ITZ said:

Received my LH 699 demo clubs yesterday, haven't hit them yet but I have an iron fitting scheduled for tomorrow so interested to try them along side other hollow bodies, CBs, and MBs. Also curious to see how they perform against my decade old Razr X Black irons.

Didn't have the chance to test the demos much during the fitting but did get to the range and test play today. Overall a great feel from the sweet spot. I don't have a lot of experience with TPE injected irons and my miss is toe. Off the toe it felt like hitting a rock. I don't expect mishits to be rewarded and it feels the same when I mishit on the toe with my SIM DHY so something I need to get used to. The 6 iron on the range was carrying what looked like 180 (extra ~20 yards more at 1* stronger than my normal 6) and that played true on the par 3s. Two were playing 180-185 and I was pin high both times. The 9 iron was inconsistent for me. Likely that is related more to me not being used to stiff shafts and not trusting distances. On the range the 9 looked like it was carrying 150ish but on the course it seemed to play shorter. The 6 iron was butter but sometimes the 9 came out really low and short. Maybe user error but it would be nice to get out this week to gauge the Sub 70 9 against my Callaway 9 and gaps for my other wedges. Best option for me might be to wait for next year if they release the 699 Pro in LH and build a combo set. All in all pleased with the performance and interested to try some more.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2021 at 2:03 PM, pdxhak said:

TXG review on the 849 Pro driver

Solid for sure. 

• Like 1

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

1 minute ago, bbfifas said:

Solid for sure. 

Yep. Really looking forward to hitting mine. The driver performed pretty well for Ian even on mishits. I am wondering how much of his point about the forgiveness being a bit lower is due to the fact that it’s a slightly smaller driver which could be part of it (Obviously it’s going to be less forgiving than a “Max” model).

I guess I just didn’t get his point about its looks being one step below Taylormade, Callaway etc. To me the all black color scheme looks as good as my TSi3 which I think is a consensus pick as the best looks-wise this year. I guess I’ll have to see when it arrives in person

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NNJ111 said:

Yep. Really looking forward to hitting mine. The driver performed pretty well for Ian even on mishits. I am wondering how much of his point about the forgiveness being a bit lower is due to the fact that it’s a slightly smaller driver which could be part of it (Obviously it’s going to be less forgiving than a “Max” model).

I guess I just didn’t get his point about its looks being one step below Taylormade, Callaway etc. To me the all black color scheme looks as good as my TSi3 which I think is a consensus pick as the best looks-wise this year. I guess I’ll have to see when it arrives in person

I don’t think there going to ever be 100% pro DTC . 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

I don’t think there going to ever be 100% pro DTC . 

I’m not sure I ever will either after trying my Fourteen RM-4s this weekend and hitting the pin after a bounce twice (I’m definitely open-minded though), I just think that trying to criticize the looks was a weird angle…I guess maybe some people like a pop of color -that sleek all black look is right up my alley

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NNJ111 said:

I’m not sure I ever will either after trying my Fourteen RM-4s this weekend and hitting the pin after a bounce twice (I’m definitely open-minded though), I just think that trying to criticize the looks was a weird angle…I guess maybe some people like a pop of color -that sleek all black look is right up my alley

Yea , I mean anything about “looks and sound” are pure subjective and pointless. Nothing but Time filler 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 9:00 PM, postfold said:

On 8/5/2021 at 11:37 AM, postfold said:

Just got my shipping notice, UPS willing should have my new wedge next week.  Ordered 7/18 so well within the estimated build time window.

Might be the best UPS experience I've ever had.  Got my ship notice from Sub70 on Thursday, got an email from UPS a couple hours later with a delivery window, delivered as scheduled on Friday.  Advantage, living in the Midwest.

Got in three rounds over the weekend with it and I'm very pleased.  Build quality appears to be very solid, feel is excellent.  Paired with a ProV1x I got the kind of stopping power I've been searching for forever.  Already pondering whether I want to order a matching 52 or keep my 50/54 gapping in the less lofted wedges.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:58 AM, zacktanney said:

Ordered a new wedge from Sub70 and couldn’t believe the amount of goodies they threw in the box. 

8D889C5A-5B66-4460-9F26-044730349A1A.jpeg

Getting a can cozy and a ball marker with mine was a nice surprise.  The swag is a nice touch, as is the handwritten note.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, postfold said:

Got in three rounds over the weekend with it and I'm very pleased. 

As a father of two kids under 3 years old this is aspirational. 3 rounds in a weekend sounds unbelievable! Congrats!

Also shoutout to Penny Hardaway who showed up on the WGC Memphis telecast with a Sub 70 hat on. Represent.

Edited by blackbdmillsaps
  • Like 4

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Who's playing TA3's, and what has been your experience?  I originally had a TA3 5 iron mixed with 649 6-pw.  649's have been money, but the TA3 was mid/low bullets only no matter what shot I was trying to hit.  I replaced the TA3 with a 649 5 iron, and again it's money.  I anticipated the TA3 being the higher launching and more forgiving club, but that wasn't the case for me.  This makes me wonder if it was a fluke, or are the TA3's just lower launching than the 649's? The honeymoon is over with my hybrid experiment, so I'll be adding a 4 iron back to the bag.

• Like 1

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

19 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

My rule is to ask a question--is the primary use of this club going to be gapping for full-swing shots, i.e. an "iron", or will it be for partial swings and around the green work, i.e. a "wedge". 

If the former, the 699 pro. If the latter, the 286 (or even JB). 

My bag currently has five "wedges", i.e. a club stamped PW (44*), a club stamped GW (48*), and three clubs from Sub70 stamped 52, 56, and 60. The PW and GW are basically my 10i and 11i. Their sole purpose is full swings. The 52, 56, and 60 (the former two are 286, the latter low bounce JB) are used for "wedge" duty. So although I have five "wedges", I really only have three--the ones from Sub70. Note: the stock PW was 45 and GW was 50 in that set; I had them bent 1 and 2 degrees strong deliberately to "make room" for my 52/56/60 at the bottom of the bag. The 52/10 is my workhorse. The 56/12 is for sand and fluffy lies. The 60/6 is for tight lies and when I REALLY need loft. 

Basically for the PW/10i and the GW/11i, I chose to stick with the set versions because I wanted the exact same feel as all of my other iron swings. For the wedges, that wasn't necessary. They're specialty clubs. 

It sounds like you're looking for a gapping club for full swings between your PW and your other wedges, so in that case I'd say 699 Pro. 

Thank you. In reality I probably need both. I’m new and for around the greens I’m currently using my 699 pitch wedge. It seems to work well at that so I think I’ll be able to take that same use case and do it with the aw also and maybe even get a touch more height for elevated greens. 

im currently playing with only 9 clubs so I’ve got some room to fill out the bag 🙂 

just ordered 699 pro aw, I think it’s the best step forward right now to have an “11 iron” 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JaySub70 said:

I haven't hit the 649s enough personally to make an incredibly concrete statement...but I definitely hit the TAIII quite a bit higher than the 649.  That being said, when I was testing them I was playing like a dope and just did not feel confident enough with the 649s.  The TAIII was notably more forgiving for my mediocre ball striking skills.  I'll try and talk to our fitting guys today though and see what they typically see as far as launch deviation between the two models.  Maybe someone else here has some experience with both models as well.  Thanks!

I appreciate it, would love to hear their feedback.

• Like 1

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

On 8/9/2021 at 10:58 AM, Stretchr said:

need a 50* and struggling to decide between a 699 pro and a 286

currently using 699s and like them, I find I am often having 100-115 yard shots where i am needing to dial my pitch wedge back and probably should just have a club i can swing normally for that. 

Go 699 pro GAP wedge at 50 if you will use it as a full shot, or maybe 3/4 shot club.  It will be perfect for that and be more forgiving then blade wedge style.  Then if you go something like 54*/58* or 56/60 or 55/60 in whatever combo you like after that you will have all shots covered.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

25 minutes ago, bbfifas said:

Go 699 pro GAP wedge at 50 if you will use it as a full shot, or maybe 3/4 shot club.  It will be perfect for that and be more forgiving then blade wedge style.  Then if you go something like 54*/58* or 56/60 or 55/60 in whatever combo you like after that you will have all shots covered.  

Thanks! I did just that.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2021 at 8:45 PM, 13ITZ said:

The 6 iron was butter but sometimes the 9 came out really low and short. Maybe user error but it would be nice to get out this week to gauge the Sub 70 9 against my Callaway 9 and gaps for my other wedges.

Had a chance last night for an appropriate demo. No launch monitor so going only from feel and personal observation. Admittedly, I don't have significant experience testing different clubs and shafts so it's nice to have some time with the demo clubs. I was able to rent a practice green at a local range and swing the 9-iron quite a bit.

The sound is a nice crack and the response from the face is great for a mid-handicap player like me. I knew when I was off the toe and it was coming up short of my target which is to be expected. When caught in the middle the feel is nice. My cavity back GI irons are a bit "softer" if I can say it that way but that's kind of the point of those clubs. The carry from the Sub 70 9 was similar to my Callaway and I only had a few that felt like fliers and carried further. Honestly, the practice green was quite small so the dispersion wasn't too bad with that in mind. Overall, I think my biggest issue was swinging a stiff shaft in the demo and a regular in my normal club. The launch for the demo was consistently lower from the extremely dead grass and hard as rock ground. From the mats the launch was better and carry a little longer but I'd say that is more due to less spin from the mat. It was nice to feel like I could work the ball a little better, even on some of the mishits. The demo 9 was a good club and I'm glad I got to try it out a bit more. 

The 6-iron was like a rocket launcher. Really easy to hit and felt great. I don't really have any issues with hitting long irons and it was fun to rip this one. Only got to hit it off the mats but it was longer than my normal 6 even with the stiff shaft. Didn't seem to take a lot of effort to carry it 170ish (I think, no LM data) which is a long 6 for me. Not much else to add honestly.

In the end, these clubs offer me a chance to move into the "next-gen" of club tech without missing rent and for a mid-tier player like me that's pretty cool. I also have a grand plan for my bag and will wait until the 699 Pro comes in LH next year to build a combo set with the 5,7,9. Ordered the 286 wedge today in 46* to start on the bottom end gapping. Hoping these can grow with me over the next few years and help me push toward a lower cap.

So I'm in. Willing to support a smaller company and I appreciate their ethos. Quality product for the price with great service.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 1:30 PM, DeCuchi said:

I appreciate it, would love to hear their feedback.

Also following. The TAiii is such a cool looking iron. I then watched a vid in which Tommy Armour III was talking about the design, feel and feedback he has been getting, and these could be a pretty playable muscleback. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Curious as to why there's a $40 upcharge for a shaft that retails for $60 in the 849 Pro driver?

Proforce V2 Black

• Like 1

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

Does anyone know if/when the Sub70 golf bags will be back in stock? 

I should have just pulled the trigger and bought one when I had the chance since my current bag of 10 years is finally falling apart, but I'm getting married next month and decided to put one on the wedding registry instead.  I've looked high and low for an equivalent bag, but nothing even in the same ballpark as Sub70's price point looks nearly as good.  I just wish they also had color options!

On 8/3/2021 at 11:52 AM, JaySub70 said:

That's strange.  Sorry about the issues.  I'm sure we'll get it sorted out for you asap.  Just give us a call or email [email protected]  We do measure putter length to the center of the face...not straight down the shaft to the heel of the putter.  Not sure if that explains the issue or not.  Either way we'll get it squared away.  Thanks!

Screenshot_20210528-211113.png.caa4c605e7125d66419fabc78d772e34.png

57 minutes ago, HorseMeatSandwich said:

Does anyone know if/when the Sub70 golf bags will be back in stock? 

I should have just pulled the trigger and bought one when I had the chance since my current bag of 10 years is finally falling apart, but I'm getting married next month and decided to put one on the wedding registry instead.  I've looked high and low for an equivalent bag, but nothing even in the same ballpark as Sub70's price point looks nearly as good.  I just wish they also had color options!

They have a inventory thing on the website 

34274348-9460-4481-AA78-AAC338637FA6.jpeg

Edited by TallGuy90
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Also following. The TAiii is such a cool looking iron. I then watched a vid in which Tommy Armour III was talking about the design, feel and feedback he has been getting, and these could be a pretty playable muscleback. 

I have taken my TAIIIs to the range a few times now.  First round this weekend. At the range, they were definitely lower launching than my JPX 900 Forged, but no distance lost.  That could be the X100s compared to the C Tapers in the Mizzys though.  They feel great, they are workable, and they look amazing.  Even with some less-than-ideal driving range balls/conditions, the QPQ coating is holding strong.  Hopefully I can keep the ball in the fairway on Saturday to get a good feel for how they will play.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 1:14 PM, gtg662y said:

I have taken my TAIIIs to the range a few times now.  First round this weekend. At the range, they were definitely lower launching than my JPX 900 Forged, but no distance lost.  That could be the X100s compared to the C Tapers in the Mizzys though.  They feel great, they are workable, and they look amazing.  Even with some less-than-ideal driving range balls/conditions, the QPQ coating is holding strong.  Hopefully I can keep the ball in the fairway on Saturday to get a good feel for how they will play.

Thanks very much. Nice details.

i’ve played the JPX 900 Forged. How do the TAiii’s compare in playability? Would you say if you can play one you can play the other? I was looking at the 639CBs, which do look good, but then I was drawn to the TAiii, which I think looks even better. Tommy called them sexy and I would agree. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches