2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Sub 70 Clubs

apex17

Anyone know if you can just snag an individual iron? I bought a used set of 699 Pros but they are only 6 thru AW. Was going to grab a 5 new when they came back in stock but went today and doesn't look like you can buy a single iron (other than AW).

If not, anyone have one they are looking to get rid of?

• Like 1

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

2 minutes ago, rjr25 said:

Anyone know if you can just snag an individual iron? I bought a used set of 699 Pros but they are only 6 thru AW. Was going to grab a 5 new when they came back in stock but went today and doesn't look like you can buy a single iron (other than AW).

If not, anyone have one they are looking to get rid of?

Have checked with they’re customer service? 

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Thanks! No only had looked online. I'll give them a call

• Like 1

Had the Ladies European Tour on the TV this morning and one of the players, I think it was Becky Morgan, was logo'd up in Sub70 gear.  Pretty cool to see a Euro player in a tournament in Kenya sporting Sub70.

Also, I need to stop browsing the pre-owned section and just leave my bag alone until the season starts already.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JaySub70 said:

You may have seen it already but this is a good video on the 799s from the guys at TXG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzuR72jY6Js

Thanks Jay. I have seen it. One of the reasons I’m looking at them. I ordered one of the clubs with you today. If it works, I’ll trade in my current set and get the rest. Thanks for the response!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JaySub70 said:

You may have seen it already but this is a good video on the 799s from the guys at TXG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzuR72jY6Js

I do have one question Jay. Are all of the 799 club heads about the same size with only the loft changing? It looks like it the pictures I’ve seen. Hope that’s the case. Some of the other manufacturers increase the head size as the lofts decrease which makes the 4 iron look much different than the 9 iron as an example. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joe40 said:

Does anyone have any experience of the 949X, particularly the 7 wood?  I don’t get on with my hybrid, but do fine with my 5 wood, so thought I might try a 7 wood, and am not keen to pay north of £200 for one.

I have the 949x 5 wood and it is a rocket launcher.   I am very happy with the performance. 

• Like 2

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

On 2/10/2022 at 8:23 AM, rjr25 said:

Well, thanks to an influx of pre-owned clubs being listed and the 10% off sale, I was able to snag a set of 699 Pros. Not exactly the shafts I wanted but at the price I got them for, easy enough to replace those. Excited to give these a try against my Cobra Forged Tec's to see the difference

Would love to hear your opinion on how they compare to your Forged Tec's. 

• Like 2

Just got my 699s delivered. One word: Slick. They look awesome, this is the first new set of irons Ive owned. Everything has typically been standard sized off the used rack b/c of price.

3 things I noticed right away compared to my old Callaway X24 Hots

- They said the difference in the 699 and 699 Pro is the offset. Man, that is a small offset compared to the X24s lol Its definitely there, but its not nearly as pronounced as my older Callaways clubs

- Head size. I have nothing to back this up outside of eye test, but the head size feels a bit smaller. Maybe its the toe length isnt as long? That could be my eyes playing tricks without putting them next to eachother.

- Can already tell a massive difference by adding just a bit of length. The 4i feels like a hockey stick but the 7-9i feel much more comfortable to address now lol I have a feeling Im going to have to go through a serious break in period with these because of the added length. A lot of chunky shots in my near future. But hey, they actually fit my size now--time to erase 22 years of muscle memory.

Anyways, great service, great people. I ordered these 2 months in advance of the season expecting a 4-6 week delivery time. You know, the first time in my life I tried to not do something last minute. I received them in 5 days with all of the custom tweaks I made. Now I just get to sit here and look at them until April 😁

Edited by akronswitness
  • Like 3

For everyone asking about the wedges, I picked up a set of the JB in december.  I have only played a couple rounds in Florida so far.  But like what i have seen.  About the head size, I will say when I was in the basement and took them out of the box and was regripping them I thought the same thing, that they were HUGE.  Just looked way oversized sitting there at address.  But when i actually got them out to the course and set up behind the ball, they didn't look any different size wise compared to the MD5 wedges i played all last year.  I actually thought the 50 looked kinda compact once it was framing a ball on course.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 9.0 Ventus Black 6X
Titleist TSi2 13.5 Tensei AV Blue 75X

Callaway Epic Flash 18 Rogue Max 85TX
Titleist TSi2 21 Tensei AV Blue 75X
Sub 70 639 CB Black 5-8 KBS 120S
Sub 70 639 MB Black 9-PW KBS 120S
Sub 70 JB Black 48 KBS Tour S
Sub 70 JB Black 54 KBS TGI 80S
Sub 70 JB Full Groove Black 58 KBS TGI 80S
Bettinardi QB6 SBS

On 2/17/2022 at 5:35 PM, LBB said:

Would love to hear your opinion on how they compare to your Forged Tec's. 

Will do! Working on a reshaft and hope to have them out to at least the range here soon (not quite golf season yet here in the northeast!)

• Like 1

Some comparison pics.  Raw is the JB 58 12* bounce. Other is Glide 2.0 58/10 SS sole.  Pretty similar really.  Although the Ping Glide has less bounce it might play slightly more since sole to me seems wider. I like both these wedges.  

pic 3.jpg

pice 2.jpg

pic 1.jpg

• Like 3

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

I just gotta say - my Sub 70 clubs are absolutely fantastic. Best fairway wood I've ever owned, period (Pro Tour 4 wood), best driving iron I've ever owned (699 Pro U) and absolutely loving my new 230 club in a 4 iron 699 Pro U. Forget "for the price" - these clubs are just absolutely awesome and every bit as good as anything else out there. HIGHLY recommend.  

• Like 2

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Tour AD VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Cobra Armlock
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX / 2024 Chrome Tour X

On 2/5/2022 at 11:36 AM, kess13 said:

Does anyone happen to have a top line shot of the sycamore flow neck? I’m into barely offset blade putters and this looks like it might be a better option than the typical 3/4 and 1/2 offsets on the market. 

Very interested in this as well. Currently have 4 putters, all anser style heads, 2 flow necks and 2 plumbers, but have been using the flow necks more and more. I'm also a sucker for carbon steel so would love to see pics and hear more reviews.

• Like 1

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

3 hours ago, Hairpie said:

Very interested in this as well. Currently have 4 putters, all anser style heads, 2 flow necks and 2 plumbers, but have been using the flow necks more and more. I'm also a sucker for carbon steel so would love to see pics and hear more reviews.

Ditto! 

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Tour AD VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Cobra Armlock
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX / 2024 Chrome Tour X

On 2/18/2022 at 6:15 PM, akronswitness said:

Just got my 699s delivered. One word: Slick. They look awesome, this is the first new set of irons Ive owned. Everything has typically been standard sized off the used rack b/c of price.

3 things I noticed right away compared to my old Callaway X24 Hots

- They said the difference in the 699 and 699 Pro is the offset. Man, that is a small offset compared to the X24s lol Its definitely there, but its not nearly as pronounced as my older Callaways clubs

- Head size. I have nothing to back this up outside of eye test, but the head size feels a bit smaller. Maybe its the toe length isnt as long? That could be my eyes playing tricks without putting them next to eachother.

- Can already tell a massive difference by adding just a bit of length. The 4i feels like a hockey stick but the 7-9i feel much more comfortable to address now lol I have a feeling Im going to have to go through a serious break in period with these because of the added length. A lot of chunky shots in my near future. But hey, they actually fit my size now--time to erase 22 years of muscle memory.

Anyways, great service, great people. I ordered these 2 months in advance of the season expecting a 4-6 week delivery time. You know, the first time in my life I tried to not do something last minute. I received them in 5 days with all of the custom tweaks I made. Now I just get to sit here and look at them until April 😁

Head size is smaller than what? Your old Callaways? You mentioned you got the 699s or did you get a split set (699 & 699 pro). 

8 hours ago, hardten said:

Head size is smaller than what? Your old Callaways? You mentioned you got the 699s or did you get a split set (699 & 699 pro). 

Yeah smaller than my Callaways. I got just the full set of 699s because of the offset.

I'm a 13 handicap, I don't have any business playing the Pros and a thinner 'players iron' lol

Edited by akronswitness

My friend is demo'ing the 849 PRO driver in 9* with 6.0 hazardous smoke shaft.  He is comparing it to his M6 with stock fuji orange shaft.  Twice now head to head on a familiar course he said it has beat his M6 each time.  

I finally met up with him on the range today and hit my M6 next to the 849 Pro.  Initial impression club has a squared off toe look that is friendly to my eye and looks like it does not want to fade/slice.  Face seemed slightly closed at 9* standard position but could be illusion because stock photo on website seems closed to me but specs say 0.5 open in std position.  No graphics or sight alignment just nice black simple.  Club head seems compact. 

I was hitting a nice draw every single time with it.  Nice flight, seemed to be solid distance, VERY easy to swing. Must be the hazardous smoke shaft helping with draw and easy swing feel to it.  I put my Nippon shaft in it that is a little bit longer, feels slightly heavier and slightly stiffer and hit baby draws with it.    Feel is nice and no loud tinggy sound to it.

I think playing with the weights you could really dial this thing in.    Worthy of a demo for anyone out there shopping drivers.  I could totally game it and nice part is it excepts taylormade shaft adapters.  

• Like 2

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

Purchased the 005 Wide blade putter in LH a few weeks ago and used it on Saturday. It is a milled face and I got the face balanced bend to experiment. Worked with the different weights and settled on 5 grams for each weight as that brings the total weight closer to my gamer at 375 vs 365.

The feeling is so soft off the face and the greens were a bit slower from a lot of rain so I was leaving most putts short, by a few feet. Had 3 birdies so obviously made a few and finished with 32 putts which is my average. Also had three 3-putts which isn't ideal. To be fair, I haven't had significant practice time other than one session on the putting green and mostly rolling at home on carpet. Again, the feeling is butter but I haven't had to "pop" a putt in a while so I had to adjust during the round. My gamer has an insert that putts a great roll on it. Short putts with the 005 were solid but I need to give it more for mid- to long-range putts. Could see it as a summer putter when the greens are dry and rolling a bit more which is honestly why I purchased to begin with. Looking forward to practicing some more throughout the year but do recommend if you are looking to try a soft milled face putter, the quality exceeds the price.

Also, the 699 irons are awesome. I've played a number of rounds with them now and they perform. Feels great to have confidence with the club in hand and hit your number, and get the result you want.

Edited by 13ITZ
  • Like 2

I'm "shaking things up" at the top end of my bag, and looking into adding a driving iron, so I'm wondering if anyone can comment on how their 699 U Pro works into their gapping. I currently have 699 Pro AW-5 iron, Callaway Mavrik 4 hybrid, and 3 and 5 woods, but the only distance difference between the woods for me is that the 3 rolls out a bit further. Almost identical carry, so I just pulled the trigger on replacing them both with a 4 wood.

My current distances are 5 iron: 180-185, 4 hybrid: 190-200, 5 wood: ~220.  I'm thinking the 4 wood will push that up 10-15 yards, so I need to fill that gap with a new "fairway finder" that can also potentially hold a green from long-distance. On paper a 3 iron might make sense, but my 4 hybrid is 20*, basically the same as the 699 U Pro 3 iron, so would that push me to need a 2 iron at 17*? The Mavrik is super strong-lofted, but doesn't carry quite as far as loft alone would indicate.

• Like 1