7 hours ago, larryd3 said:

. . .I believe it's only 1* upright or 1* flat.  no adjustment for lofts.  . . .

This is correct, no loft adjustment, just lie adjustment

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max 8º (8.75º) w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 65s

Fairway: Taylormade SIM Tour TI (v2) 3w @ 16.4º w/ Diamana TB 70s

Hybrid: Titleist TS3 @ 19º w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Smoke Black 90s

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-6); MB-101 (7-PW) w/ MMT 105TX (ss*1)

Wedges: Artisan Raw @ 51º, 56º, 61º

Putter: Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been browsing GolfWRX forums for a long time but finally decided to make an account just so I could chime in on my experience with the Sub70 699s and 699 Pros so far.  Sorry in advance for the no

I've been looking at Sub 70 for about 6 months. Called Jason last Friday to inquire about why there was only 6-W and not 5-W in the 639CB on the website. He let me know that 3-5 heads were on the way.

Been a while since I posted here. Haven't had a lot of time to get out and play recently but that should be clearing up.  So I initially tested the 699 Pro (6 & 9) and found that I was leavin

Posted Images

8 hours ago, nlk10010 said:

Yea, I have Mavriks as well (the standard version) and these and I just love the "elegant simplicity" of the 699. Of course everyone's different but they're hard to kick out of the bag.

As to customer service, I can only say that my experience mimics that of most of the other posters on this thread. Exactly what I was hoping for:  It's not a matter of good or bad, it's a matter of responsive and efficient. My clubs took a bit longer than I was expecting but I was informed as to the reason and the situation was resolved to my satisfaction. It's valuable to know how a company responds when things don't go exactly as expected, plus the price is hard to beat.

How are they in distance, looks and feel compared to your Mav's?

SIM 9* Tensei Pro White
TS3 16.5* EvenFlow White 75
TS3 19* EvenFlow White 90
Mp20 MMC 4-PW $-Taper

CBX2 50* $-Taper
ES21 54/58 Nippon 115
Mannkrafted WAVE
TP5x / Bridgestone Tour B XS

VA_Astra:  Honestly, as far as looks go, I really love the simplicity of the Sub70 heads (and I think the Mavriks are one of the best looking irons I've seen). But of course that's personal.

Feel is really about the same, if anything, a bit softer feel on the Sub70 (and a slightly more muted sound on the shorter irons, 8 and up). Distance is tricky as the build specs for the two sets were slightly different and I have a heavier shaft in the Sub70s (Callaway Project X 55g vs UST Recoil 68g, both A flex). I would probably say the Mavriks are a bit more forgiving but, again, there's not much in it.

As I say, if I only wanted one set then I would be happy with either, which is a funny thing to say as the Callaways were almost twice the price (albeit with one more club). But I wanted two sets and I don't regret either purchase.

• Like 1

"The company loves its money. If they could, they'd go to strip clubs and throw naked women at money."

Well my 699s arrived today and I just got back from a quick range session. I’m in the same boat as many others, extremely impressed and happy I made the purchase. I can’t find anything to dislike about these. I got the 5-pw and these things definitely got some power. The closest flag was 136 with a slight 5-8 mph breeze into me and the PW was getting there. They launched much higher than I’m used to but I’m putting a lot of that into the fact I got these with project x graphite shafts. They just hung in the air and kept going forward.

Below are some comparison pics that may help. 
1. 5 irons of L to R

Srixon 765, Sub70, AP3

2. 5 irons of L to R

AP3, Sub70, Srixon

3. AP3 and Sub70

4. Sub70 and Srixon 

5. PW of Sub70

6. Top- 6 iron of Callaway 2018 X-Forged, Bottom 6 iron of Sub70

7. Goodie box!

more than happy to answer any questions if I can!  Definitely a brand I’ll be hoping to see more lefty options of!

D462F252-4F8D-4537-B8DC-B4A35805857A.jpeg

53634C3C-EA9C-4E75-8971-1A40B90013B3.jpeg

1E1333F2-7D6F-4BD6-B01E-586FD1565728.jpeg

8630EEF9-09DD-4860-8B62-1BEFD27D8751.jpeg

815E0E98-81DF-4A40-8ED7-DB9D1FC64908.jpeg

8850E294-2510-4D9E-89CA-151CCA3178DE.jpeg

84AC1162-2F7D-4FBB-8959-BD1E03D4551C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

BAG UNDER CONSTRUCTION/TINKERING...Now and Forever.

Bit the bullet, just ordered a set of Combos today, will be here next week. Will play against Gen 1 PXG's and Mav Pro irons.

Ordered 4-6 699 and 7-pw Pro

• Like 1

SIM 9* Tensei Pro White
TS3 16.5* EvenFlow White 75
TS3 19* EvenFlow White 90
Mp20 MMC 4-PW $-Taper

CBX2 50* $-Taper
ES21 54/58 Nippon 115
Mannkrafted WAVE
TP5x / Bridgestone Tour B XS

9 hours ago, VA_Astra said:

Bit the bullet, just ordered a set of Combos today, will be here next week. Will play against Gen 1 PXG's and Mav Pro irons.

Ordered 4-6 699 and 7-pw Pro

Nice! 

let us know how they do!

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

54, 58 Vokeys

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

My 639CB/MB combo set is (hopefully) coming in next week. A couple of the heads went OOS filling orders ahead of mine due to some holdups at customs. Bummed as I was hoping to get them out this week but anxiously awaiting. I'm moving off of an ancient set of Ping G5s that are way too offset and chunky for my liking.

I'll post pictures when they come in. 3-8 in CB and 9-PW MB with loft adjustments on pretty much all of them to try and get my gaps where I want them. It was great working with the whole team to get everything exactly how I want it.

I wish I could have looked at these before getting fitted to my i500's. Now, I love my i500s, but I would have loved a chance at these first. 

Mid quarantine I did order a 48* from sub 70 and a 56* from Haywood. I bent the 56 to a 54 before I ever even hit it. I did order both raw. I'm loving both clubs differently. The 70 is a great 110 club, bump and run, and over all utility club. The Haywood has been great in the sand and good for open face shots around the green. They've also both rusted out pretty sweet. The clubs are in my car and I'm not going out to snap a pic, but I took this yesterday playing a par 3 course and you can see the good patina on both. 

Irons.jpg

2 hours ago, squish45 said:

My 639CB/MB combo set is (hopefully) coming in next week. A couple of the heads went OOS filling orders ahead of mine due to some holdups at customs. Bummed as I was hoping to get them out this week but anxiously awaiting. I'm moving off of an ancient set of Ping G5s that are way too offset and chunky for my liking.

I'll post pictures when they come in. 3-8 in CB and 9-PW MB with loft adjustments on pretty much all of them to try and get my gaps where I want them. It was great working with the whole team to get everything exactly how I want it.

I like the idea of mostly CBs with a few blades in the most precise spots. I really like the sharp look of these. Definitely want to hear how this set works out. Those guys over at TXG have about convinced me with their videos that I am a fit for more narrow-soled irons!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I like the idea of mostly CBs with a few blades in the most precise spots. I really like the sharp look of these. Definitely want to hear how this set works out. Those guys over at TXG have about convinced me with their videos that I am a fit for more narrow-soled irons!

Yeah, I was all set on a combo set starting at 8 for the mb, but I might change my mind...

im also curious about the ta3 irons they will be releasing eventually... they look incredible.

As of 1/24/21

54, 58 Vokeys

7 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I think there really is something to this.  The 8-P MB's, despite being relatively large for a blade (as I've detailed in other threads), still have some of the narrowest soles I've ever played and you know what?  I think it fits me well.  I've really hit the short irons so much better than my previous couple sets (which were Srixon's and Bridgestone's).

Titleist TSi2 10*, Tour AD-DI 6s
Titleist TSi2 16.5*, Tour AD-DI 7s
Ping G410 3H 19*, Tour AD-DI 85s Hyb

Sub 70 699U Pro 4 22*, UST V2 S
Ping i210 5-PW, Modus 105s
Scratch Forged 50*, SS Grind
Scratch Tour Dept 54*, FAW Grind
Scratch Tour Dept 58*, RPD Grind
Scotty Cameron 2016 Select NP 2.5 (1st of 500)

32 minutes ago, PittShark said:

I think there really is something to this.  The 8-P MB's, despite being relatively large for a blade (as I've detailed in other threads), still have some of the narrowest soles I've ever played and you know what?  I think it fits me well.  I've really hit the short irons so much better than my previous couple sets (which were Srixon's and Bridgestone's).

This has been my experience as well. Different brand in this video, but check out this TXG review where they are having a midcapper (Al) test the New Level irons. Ian points out that Al’s tendency is to hang back on his irons, causing him to sometimes hit slightly fat, but in the test he hits the thin-soled MBs the most consistently. Ian analysis is that is not unusual and that it is the thinner sole helping his contact. Wide soles might help rescue a heavy shot for some via the bounce, but not always. 

• Like 1

Received my 699's this afternoon. Lengths look proper, and there's a sticker on each head, detailing loft, lie, and head weight. Also a spot for F.A (face angle) for woods. Lofts & lies look slightly goofed up to me. Compared to specs, the 5i is 1* weak, the 7i is 1* strong. The 9i is either 38.5* or 39.5*, so 0.5 or 1.5 strong, with the PW 1* weak. Also, the 5-7 are all lie angle 62*, and the 8-P are all 63.5*, rather than the 0.5* per club progression they should have.

PXG 0811X+ 10.5* (12*)

CW Epic Flash 5W 

TM M3 3H & 4H

TM RocketBladez HL 5-PW

W/S PMP 52*, 56*, 60*

Cleveland HB Soft #1

9 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

This has been my experience as well. Different brand in this video, but check out this TXG review where they are having a midcapper (Al) test the New Level irons. Ian points out that Al’s tendency is to hang back on his irons, causing him to sometimes hit slightly fat, but in the test he hits the thin-soled MBs the most consistently. Ian analysis is that is not unusual and that it is the thinner sole helping his contact. Wide soles might help rescue a heavy shot for some via the bounce, but not always. 

ian touts thinner soles in many videos. He has stated the need for the shallower AoA players to play thin soles rather than the steeper players. I thought it would be the opposite. Either way I have heard him say he can choose sole width based on sound ?. Definitely a good pierce of advice to carry forward with you 

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

50 minutes ago, Thamel90 said:

Received my 699's this afternoon. Lengths look proper, and there's a sticker on each head, detailing loft, lie, and head weight. Also a spot for F.A (face angle) for woods. Lofts & lies look slightly goofed up to me. Compared to specs, the 5i is 1* weak, the 7i is 1* strong. The 9i is either 38.5* or 39.5*, so 0.5 or 1.5 strong, with the PW 1* weak. Also, the 5-7 are all lie angle 62*, and the 8-P are all 63.5*, rather than the 0.5* per club progression they should have.

How are you measuring those? I'm sure if they're actually off you can reach out and I'm sure it will be corrected.

I know they've been super busy lately so it's always possible there was a mix up.

Edited by squish45
1 hour ago, squish45 said:

How are you measuring those? I'm sure if they're actually off you can reach out and I'm sure it will be corrected.

I know they've been super busy lately so it's always possible there was a mix up.

There is a sticker/label on each clubhead w/ the specs. Kinda surprised they shipped w/ those lie angles to be honest. I'm sure phone call will get this resolved for you @Thamel90

d: Mavrik | f: Rogue Sub Zero | h1: X Hot | h2: Mavrik | i: 699 Pro | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

Posted in the Tour/pre-release thread for the 699u pro also...

I bookended my M2 Tour iron set with some sub 70s! I had some fun discussions with Jason to settle on specs - main goal was to get a low-launching driving iron, and then I figured I would try a 9 iron based on my success switching from set PW to a vokey this season.

Driving iron:

699u pro 2i bent 1.5 deg strong 

HZRDUS smoke 90 6.5

Lamkin crossline 

9 iron (specs an exact match to my current M2 tour):

639mb 40 degrees

Project X black 7.0

Lamkin crossline

I'll add details about the performance after I've hit them!

I should add that it has been a great customer experience and I look forward to hearing more positive stories from people who do give these guys a try!

20200911_163122.jpg

20200911_163322.jpg

20200911_164433.jpg

20200911_164316.jpg

Played a round with these yesterday. Off the tee on par 3's, they performed admirably. Off the ground, not so much. I put that mostly on myself since I was crap with my wedges as well. The 699s look great at address, just slightly smaller than my previous iron set

Edited by Thamel90

PXG 0811X+ 10.5* (12*)

CW Epic Flash 5W 

TM M3 3H & 4H

TM RocketBladez HL 5-PW

W/S PMP 52*, 56*, 60*

Cleveland HB Soft #1

2 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Ordered a pro fairway 4 wood (Riptide 70) and a 639X 4 hybrid (Riptide 85) as my first foray into Sub 70 clubs, filling some needs in the bag. 

I'm currently in the process of feeling out the 939X hybrid. So far its been a seriously solid performer after 2 rounds, and a 3rd round coming this afternoon. I'm very impressed with it. I wrote a review of it with course data on here from my first round with it. I'll be updating it later tonight. Hopefully you get the same results I have so far. Post up your experience after you've gamed it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Ordered a pro fairway 4 wood (Riptide 70) and a 639X 4 hybrid (Riptide 85) as my first foray into Sub 70 clubs, filling some needs in the bag. 

Nice! look forward to hearing about them. My hybrid is at the bottom of my priority list, but I'll definitely go Sub70 when the time comes.

As of 1/24/21

54, 58 Vokeys

27 minutes ago, Thamel90 said:

Does anybody know the specs of the "made for" Project X Hybrid shaft? I got the 6.0 in my 939X 3H without thinking. I should have probably gotten an upgrade

They have a ‘view shaft specs’ button on the site. I bet this shaft is pretty good. I thought about it. It’s a 75 gram, 3.8 torque shaft. So Project X stability with a little feel via mid-torque. These pairings often make sense. You should try it out and tell us what it’s like. Might love it. If you hate it I am sure they’d reshaft to make you happy. It’s that kind of vibe at Sub 70. 

• Like 1

Got my 699 Pro demo's in hand on Friday and played an early Sat morning 9 the following day. As far as dimensions, slightly longer heel-to-toe than JPX919 HMP's. The black heads do a good job of making the club heads look smaller though. If I didn't have the 699 Pro in satin as well, I'd swear the Sub70 soles were thinner than the HMP's. There is more bounce on the Sub70's vs the HMP's as well.

On the course, the performance was pretty much what I expected. Easy launch, although not quite as towering as the regular 699's w/ the graphite shaft I demo'd previously. I was not disappointed at all. Would like to get a few more rounds under my belt before commenting on forgiveness and such. I'll say this again though...if I didn't already have a set of clubs I really enjoyed, I'd be ordering these in a heartbeat!

-Ron.

• Like 1

d: Mavrik | f: Rogue Sub Zero | h1: X Hot | h2: Mavrik | i: 699 Pro | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

I got to finally play a round with the LH 699 irons this weekend and I'm definitely impressed.  I was fortunate enough to hit most from the fairway and loved the flight and feel on these.  The couple of shots from the rough came out nice with minimal effort.  I hit a number of 9 and PW and distance consistency was just what I want.  I'll definitely be waiting for more LH options that hopefully come out especially in the wedges and hybrids.  I wish I could say something I didn't like about them, but can't really come up with anything.  I feel I grew accustomed to their look behind the ball easily.  If you're debating on them, I say go for it.  

• Thanks 1

BAG UNDER CONSTRUCTION/TINKERING...Now and Forever.