Sub 70 Clubs

27 minutes ago, Thamel90 said:

Does anybody know the specs of the "made for" Project X Hybrid shaft? I got the 6.0 in my 939X 3H without thinking. I should have probably gotten an upgrade

They have a ‘view shaft specs’ button on the site. I bet this shaft is pretty good. I thought about it. It’s a 75 gram, 3.8 torque shaft. So Project X stability with a little feel via mid-torque. These pairings often make sense. You should try it out and tell us what it’s like. Might love it. If you hate it I am sure they’d reshaft to make you happy. It’s that kind of vibe at Sub 70. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I commented on another post earlier, but since this seems to be the OFFICIAL Sub70 thread I'll comment here too.     I ordered my Sub70 clubs two weeks ago.  My current gamers are Cobra Forg

I've been looking at Sub 70 for about 6 months. Called Jason last Friday to inquire about why there was only 6-W and not 5-W in the 639CB on the website. He let me know that 3-5 heads were on the way.

I went with 699 Pro in the 5-8 and the 638CB in the 9 and W.    I also ordered a 699 Pro U 4 iron and a 939x 4 hybrid as well.  Once I get them and have some time with them I will post up a

Posted Images

Got my 699 Pro demo's in hand on Friday and played an early Sat morning 9 the following day. As far as dimensions, slightly longer heel-to-toe than JPX919 HMP's. The black heads do a good job of making the club heads look smaller though. If I didn't have the 699 Pro in satin as well, I'd swear the Sub70 soles were thinner than the HMP's. There is more bounce on the Sub70's vs the HMP's as well.

On the course, the performance was pretty much what I expected. Easy launch, although not quite as towering as the regular 699's w/ the graphite shaft I demo'd previously. I was not disappointed at all. Would like to get a few more rounds under my belt before commenting on forgiveness and such. I'll say this again though...if I didn't already have a set of clubs I really enjoyed, I'd be ordering these in a heartbeat!

-Ron.

• Like 1

I got to finally play a round with the LH 699 irons this weekend and I'm definitely impressed.  I was fortunate enough to hit most from the fairway and loved the flight and feel on these.  The couple of shots from the rough came out nice with minimal effort.  I hit a number of 9 and PW and distance consistency was just what I want.  I'll definitely be waiting for more LH options that hopefully come out especially in the wedges and hybrids.  I wish I could say something I didn't like about them, but can't really come up with anything.  I feel I grew accustomed to their look behind the ball easily.  If you're debating on them, I say go for it.  

• Thanks 1

BAG UNDER CONSTRUCTION/TINKERING...Now and Forever.

On 9/11/2020 at 9:16 PM, BballMike14 said:

Posted in the Tour/pre-release thread for the 699u pro also...

I bookended my M2 Tour iron set with some sub 70s! I had some fun discussions with Jason to settle on specs - main goal was to get a low-launching driving iron, and then I figured I would try a 9 iron based on my success switching from set PW to a vokey this season.

Driving iron:

699u pro 2i bent 1.5 deg strong 

HZRDUS smoke 90 6.5

Lamkin crossline 

9 iron (specs an exact match to my current M2 tour):

639mb 40 degrees

Project X black 7.0

Lamkin crossline

I'll add details about the performance after I've hit them!

I should add that it has been a great customer experience and I look forward to hearing more positive stories from people who do give these guys a try!

20200911_163122.jpg

20200911_163322.jpg

20200911_164433.jpg

20200911_164316.jpg

Can you let me know what the head weight was on your 699U Pro?

I just got mine with the same shaft as you and the head weight was 226 grams.  It feels awfully light to me.

Thank you

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Cobra F8 5/6 wood w/ Evenflow Blue-75X
Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron 17* w/ Dynamic Gold AMT X
Callaway Apex Pro Smoke 4-PW w/ Elevate Tour Smoke X-100
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Elevate Tour Smoke X-100 (soft stepped once)
Taylormade Spider Tour Black (Armlock) w/ SuperStroke 17”

59 minutes ago, dearth12 said:

I just got mine with the same shaft as you and the head weight was 226 grams.  It feels awfully light to me.

Thank you

The website says for the pro utilities......

Specifications
Head Number 2 3 4
Loft 17 19.5 22
Lie 60 60.5 61
Offset(mm) 4 3.75 3.5
Weight 235 242 249
Standard Length Steel 39.5 39 38.5
Standard Length Graphite 40 39.5 39
Face Material 455 Carpenter Steel 1.7mm
Body Material 431 Stainless Steel

226 is around where I expect a 2 iron hybrid to check in weight wise, obviously, you have one on the lighter side of the spectrum.  Did you specify anything when you ordered?  Head weight or swing weight or length?

• Driver - Ping G410 LST on HZRDOUS Yellow
  • 3 Wood - TM M5 (15*) on HZRDOUS Yellow or Ping G410 (14.5*) on HZRDOUS yellow
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17* on Tour 85. ************* Member Tester TE Exotics Pro 17* on Tensei AV silver ****************
  • Irons - SUB70 testing ongoing
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50 and 54 CBX2 and RTX4 @ 58 and 62
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or  Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV
2 hours ago, dearth12 said:

Thank you

Mine was 233.6 - I am hitting it tonight and will provide feedback in terms of feel/total club weight.20200911_163059.jpg.be7140c3b627626d215bc079f25e5c70.jpg

OK! Some initial thoughts after range time (unfortunately, no launch monitor for real data, so please take with a grain of salt...)

639mb 9i:

-felt great when centered (happened more often than I was expecting, to be honest)

-seemed to launch higher than my M2 Tour

-very consistent distance when struck well, responded well to taking a bit off also

-hard to say how much I lost on heely shots

-I chipped a bit with it too and it did get the ball rolling nicely 

-I don't think the beautiful black finish will last long if I go to the range often!!

-feels like it fits right in between my 8i and PW distance-wise - I'll know more when I play my ball at my course (Wednesday!!)

-it sure helped getting the club built to my exact 9-iron specs to drop right in

699u pro 2i

-weight feels lighter than my 4i, but doesn't stand out as too light (for me at least)

-very large face, but looks reasonable at the ball

-this thing gets down range fast! No ballooning, just shoots and drops and rolls

-again, with no launch monitor, hard to say for sure, but I compared against my Cobra LTD 5 wood and would say carry was close (edge would go to the LTD) but roll out was crazy with the 2i

-launched lower, and seemed like a perfect trajectory for the wind

-I found the toe side to be more forgiving distance and line-wise than the heel

-misses were far less catastrophic than my 5 wood

-I found when I over-swung, launch went up and the ball went left, but a nice easy swing got the stinger-type shot I was hoping for without the stinger-type swing that I have not mastered.

Can't wait to try these out on Wednesday. I'll add on-course thoughts after that!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Clifford said:

No demos to Canada!

Extra shipping to Canada. No Sub70 699 pros for me

I know it's not feasible for some, but lots of Canucks with a PO in the US.....maybe you or one of the others north of the border could arrange for a demo with sub70, that gets passed along amongst several members.  Ya never know.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, ode said:

I know it's not feasible for some, but lots of Canucks with a PO in the US.....maybe you or one of the others north of the border could arrange for a demo with sub70, that gets passed along amongst several members.  Ya never know.

Just some casual golf club smuggling! 

I was unaware Candadians would have US PO boxes, that's pretty funny. I guess if you live close to the border and cross over anyways, why not have a US address?

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

20 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

The website says for the pro utilities......

Specifications
Head Number 2 3 4
Loft 17 19.5 22
Lie 60 60.5 61
Offset(mm) 4 3.75 3.5
Weight 235 242 249
Standard Length Steel 39.5 39 38.5
Standard Length Graphite 40 39.5 39
Face Material 455 Carpenter Steel 1.7mm
Body Material 431 Stainless Steel

226 is around where I expect a 2 iron hybrid to check in weight wise, obviously, you have one on the lighter side of the spectrum.  Did you specify anything when you ordered?  Head weight or swing weight or length?

I did not specify anything as the weight on the chart you showed sounded good to me and I ordered at standard length.

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Cobra F8 5/6 wood w/ Evenflow Blue-75X
Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron 17* w/ Dynamic Gold AMT X
Callaway Apex Pro Smoke 4-PW w/ Elevate Tour Smoke X-100
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Elevate Tour Smoke X-100 (soft stepped once)
Taylormade Spider Tour Black (Armlock) w/ SuperStroke 17”

With all the good reviews for the 699 Pros I ordered the 6i/9i demo clubs. I currently play clubs with traditional lofts (7i 35*) and the 699 Pros are 4* stronger through most of the set. Looking forwarding to seeing how they play. 

• Like 2
Just now, pdxhak said:

With all the good reviews for the 699 Pros I ordered the 6i/9i demo clubs. I currently play clubs with traditional lofts (7i 35*) and the 699 Pros are 4* stronger through most of the set. Looking forwarding to seeing how they play. 

If you end up liking how they feel, they do have flexibility on the lofts (2-3* I believe). Ultimately you can end up with the same lofts as your current set but the stick might have a different number on it by adding a gap on the low end.

I received my combos, just finished shafting up tonight.

They look great! Comparing visuals next to  my Mav Pro's and my Gen 1 0311/0311T's.

Very clean looking, nothing flashy, sole not chunky at all.

Pro's look very similar profile to the Mav Pro's but with a higher toe (more pingish looking). Looks same heal to toe. That stretches into the 4 iron. Similar size heel to toe as the 0311, with a smaller sole and maybe a touch more offset. They neck down quite a bit towards the hosel almost like an old Ping Eye 2 iron.

Will take to the course tomorrow to hit a few, will grab some comparison pics and post up thoughts.

• Like 2

SIM 9* Tensei Pro White
TS3 16.5* EvenFlow White 75
TS3 19* EvenFlow White 90
Mavrik Pro 4-PW PX Flighted 6.0
MD5 Jaws 50/54/58 Nippon 125 Wedge
Mannkrafted WAVE
TP5x / Bridgestone Tour B XS

@golfdaydreamer same bro, same.

Order was placed on the 2nd, hoping to get some practice in this week and play this weekend but 2 of my heads are stuck in the customs hold up.

I did the 639 combo set as well but 3-PW with the 9 and PW in MB. Have a feeling I might end up running most of them in MB except the 3 and 4 once I get them.

• Like 3

I went with 699 Pro in the 5-8 and the 638CB in the 9 and W. 

I also ordered a 699 Pro U 4 iron and a 939x 4 hybrid as well.  Once I get them and have some time with them I will post up a big review.  Not sure which will suit me more often, but I wanted the chance to have both depending upon the course.

• Like 4
  • Driver - Ping G410 LST on HZRDOUS Yellow
  • 3 Wood - TM M5 (15*) on HZRDOUS Yellow or Ping G410 (14.5*) on HZRDOUS yellow
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17* on Tour 85. ************* Member Tester TE Exotics Pro 17* on Tensei AV silver ****************
  • Irons - SUB70 testing ongoing
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50 and 54 CBX2 and RTX4 @ 58 and 62
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or  Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV
5 minutes ago, golfdaydreamer said:

Good news... the CB & MB heads arrived!  

So now the clubs are being built.  I can not wait to try them out.  I highly suggest to anyone who is curious about them A) get demo set B) say TO HE'LL WITH IT and buy a set.  I'd be he sells out again soon.  

did they call/update you or did you happen to reach out?

On 9/14/2020 at 8:43 PM, BballMike14 said:

OK! Some initial thoughts after range time (unfortunately, no launch monitor for real data, so please take with a grain of salt...)

639mb 9i:

-felt great when centered (happened more often than I was expecting, to be honest)

-seemed to launch higher than my M2 Tour

-very consistent distance when struck well, responded well to taking a bit off also

-hard to say how much I lost on heely shots

-I chipped a bit with it too and it did get the ball rolling nicely 

-I don't think the beautiful black finish will last long if I go to the range often!!

-feels like it fits right in between my 8i and PW distance-wise - I'll know more when I play my ball at my course (Wednesday!!)

-it sure helped getting the club built to my exact 9-iron specs to drop right in

699u pro 2i

-weight feels lighter than my 4i, but doesn't stand out as too light (for me at least)

-very large face, but looks reasonable at the ball

-this thing gets down range fast! No ballooning, just shoots and drops and rolls

-again, with no launch monitor, hard to say for sure, but I compared against my Cobra LTD 5 wood and would say carry was close (edge would go to the LTD) but roll out was crazy with the 2i

-launched lower, and seemed like a perfect trajectory for the wind

-I found the toe side to be more forgiving distance and line-wise than the heel

-misses were far less catastrophic than my 5 wood

-I found when I over-swung, launch went up and the ball went left, but a nice easy swing got the stinger-type shot I was hoping for without the stinger-type swing that I have not mastered.

Can't wait to try these out on Wednesday. I'll add on-course thoughts after that!

Ok! So, to add to my driving range thoughts....

639mb:

I did not have my best swing to be sure. I used mostly off the tee, which highlighted something - I lost quite a bit of distance missing high on the face. I find even my Vokey PW to be more forgiving vertically. I will quickly learn to tee my ball as low as possible! (I got away with it before). As for left to right, I found misses still traveled the right distance which is encouraging! Final note on the all black - it looks fantastic, but when we were playing our final par 3 after the sun had set, it was like I was holding an invisible club! All I could see was the ball.

699u pro 2i:

This is a weapon. As I saw at the range, this thing moves forward with some serious purpose. The key for me is to set up (ball position, shaft lean, etc) like a 6 iron. If i start pretending I can play it forward and try to bomb it it doesn't work well for me. The penetrating ball flight also lends itself well to slight misses as the ball simply doesn't have time to turn left or right much before landing safely. I'm looking forward to having this option in my bag long term!

Hope to read more feedback from other guys trying these out!

I tried 0211 myself and couldn't get along with them. Liking my 699 so far though. 

I just got my 3 hybrid myself, hoping for good things. Definitely like the adjustability

PXG 0811X+ 10.5* (12*)

CW Rogue 3W 15*

Sub70 939X Hybrid 18*, TM M3 21*

Sub70 699 5-PW

W/S Model 50*, 54*, 60*

White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie

So before I post up a full review, ill post up some quick thoughts. I have my member/guest next week so im spending time with my primary clubs now getting ready.

Now that I have had them outside, hit them and in the daylight...Irons are bigger than my Mav pro's, but next to my Gen 1 PXG's they are similar. The pros and the t's are very similar (almost like had the same influence on this...ex ping cough, cough)

The non-pro are larger than the 0311's and more offset. The irons have a curved front edge that doesnt quite work with my eye, it is a bit different for sure.

Let me preface this by saying I have SSx1 Flighted PX 6.0's in my Mav's and PXG's. Trying to smooth out my swing a little I put Flighted 5.5's straight in on the Sub 70's. Same specs as others (checked on my Mitchell)

Feel and flight off of these were not what I was expecting, but will hold judgement until after Member/Guest when I can put the same shafts in them. Visually, larger than expected, dont be scared of the "Pro" logo on them! Do over, id get entire set Pro to get rid of some offset.

More to come for sure. I want to give these a good run against others...apples to apples.

20200916_122946.jpg.5aad820c0b01c9ef5dab000405b6dcd2.jpg20200916_122934.jpg.5b5850921345e0276bee3f5d9838018d.jpg20200916_122957.jpg.9d7ed8dcb3fec27603df70c6a7984fc3.jpg20200916_122934.jpg.5b5850921345e0276bee3f5d9838018d.jpg

SIM 9* Tensei Pro White
TS3 16.5* EvenFlow White 75
TS3 19* EvenFlow White 90
Mavrik Pro 4-PW PX Flighted 6.0
MD5 Jaws 50/54/58 Nippon 125 Wedge
Mannkrafted WAVE
TP5x / Bridgestone Tour B XS

9 hours ago, VA_Astra said:

More to come for sure. I want to give these a good run against others...apples to apples

Looking forward to hearing more about them! Good luck in the Member Guest! If it's anything like the ones I've played in, staying sober gives you like a 4 stroke advantage... 

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

I am demoing 639 CB irons now with KBS Tour 120 (stiff) shafts. This shaft was my top recommendation from using the Mizuno Shaft Analyzer. It appears to be a great fit.

I am gaming Bridgestone J15 CB irons with DG Pro shafts and could move to the 639 CB without missing a beat. Even though the Bridgestones are D3 and the Sub 70s are D1, they still felt familiar. D1 seems to be more common now across brands as companies have moved a shade lighter than 5 years ago. I really enjoyed the feel of the shaft and the heads had nice pop - feel and sound. Biggest adjustment would be the look of a little more offset on the 639 CB even though the specs don’t agree with that visual. Anyway, great sticks and the customization is amazing with endless options.

I’m now anxiously awaiting the 699 Pro to demo and have ideas of a combo set. 

Srixon Z 785 Tensei CK 60 9* driver
Srixon H45 Kuro Kage Black 16*, 19* hybrids
Bridgestone J15 CB DG Pro 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58
Rife putter (rotates)
Srixon Z-Star