2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Sub 70 Clubs

apex17

@golfdaydreamer same bro, same.

Order was placed on the 2nd, hoping to get some practice in this week and play this weekend but 2 of my heads are stuck in the customs hold up.

I did the 639 combo set as well but 3-PW with the 9 and PW in MB. Have a feeling I might end up running most of them in MB except the 3 and 4 once I get them.

• Like 3

I went with 699 Pro in the 5-8 and the 638CB in the 9 and W. 

I also ordered a 699 Pro U 4 iron and a 939x 4 hybrid as well.  Once I get them and have some time with them I will post up a big review.  Not sure which will suit me more often, but I wanted the chance to have both depending upon the course.

• Like 4
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

21 minutes ago, pdxhak said:

For those that have ordered demo clubs did you get a tracking number?

For my demo orders, I did not receive tracking info from Sub70. I got tracking info from the shipping carrier.

• Like 1

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

5 minutes ago, golfdaydreamer said:

Good news... the CB & MB heads arrived!  

So now the clubs are being built.  I can not wait to try them out.  I highly suggest to anyone who is curious about them A) get demo set B) say TO HE'LL WITH IT and buy a set.  I'd be he sells out again soon.  

did they call/update you or did you happen to reach out?

On 9/14/2020 at 8:43 PM, BballMike14 said:

OK! Some initial thoughts after range time (unfortunately, no launch monitor for real data, so please take with a grain of salt...)

639mb 9i:

-felt great when centered (happened more often than I was expecting, to be honest)

-seemed to launch higher than my M2 Tour

-very consistent distance when struck well, responded well to taking a bit off also

-hard to say how much I lost on heely shots

-I chipped a bit with it too and it did get the ball rolling nicely 

-I don't think the beautiful black finish will last long if I go to the range often!!

-feels like it fits right in between my 8i and PW distance-wise - I'll know more when I play my ball at my course (Wednesday!!)

-it sure helped getting the club built to my exact 9-iron specs to drop right in

699u pro 2i

-weight feels lighter than my 4i, but doesn't stand out as too light (for me at least)

-very large face, but looks reasonable at the ball

-this thing gets down range fast! No ballooning, just shoots and drops and rolls

-again, with no launch monitor, hard to say for sure, but I compared against my Cobra LTD 5 wood and would say carry was close (edge would go to the LTD) but roll out was crazy with the 2i

-launched lower, and seemed like a perfect trajectory for the wind

-I found the toe side to be more forgiving distance and line-wise than the heel

-misses were far less catastrophic than my 5 wood

-I found when I over-swung, launch went up and the ball went left, but a nice easy swing got the stinger-type shot I was hoping for without the stinger-type swing that I have not mastered.

Can't wait to try these out on Wednesday. I'll add on-course thoughts after that!

Ok! So, to add to my driving range thoughts....

639mb:

I did not have my best swing to be sure. I used mostly off the tee, which highlighted something - I lost quite a bit of distance missing high on the face. I find even my Vokey PW to be more forgiving vertically. I will quickly learn to tee my ball as low as possible! (I got away with it before). As for left to right, I found misses still traveled the right distance which is encouraging! Final note on the all black - it looks fantastic, but when we were playing our final par 3 after the sun had set, it was like I was holding an invisible club! All I could see was the ball.

699u pro 2i:

This is a weapon. As I saw at the range, this thing moves forward with some serious purpose. The key for me is to set up (ball position, shaft lean, etc) like a 6 iron. If i start pretending I can play it forward and try to bomb it it doesn't work well for me. The penetrating ball flight also lends itself well to slight misses as the ball simply doesn't have time to turn left or right much before landing safely. I'm looking forward to having this option in my bag long term!

Hope to read more feedback from other guys trying these out!

3 hours ago, rondre3000 said:

For my demo orders, I did not receive tracking info from Sub70. I got tracking info from the shipping carrier.

Thanks. I have only received the order number from Sub70. Good to know the shipper will notify me when it has been shipped.

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Man, i really hope my PXG 0211s hold up well for me otherwise i may have to sell and grab these beauties...

I do have their 3 hybrid and love it.

Edited by Rbsiedsc

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

So before I post up a full review, ill post up some quick thoughts. I have my member/guest next week so im spending time with my primary clubs now getting ready.

Now that I have had them outside, hit them and in the daylight...Irons are bigger than my Mav pro's, but next to my Gen 1 PXG's they are similar. The pros and the t's are very similar (almost like had the same influence on this...ex ping cough, cough)

The non-pro are larger than the 0311's and more offset. The irons have a curved front edge that doesnt quite work with my eye, it is a bit different for sure.

Let me preface this by saying I have SSx1 Flighted PX 6.0's in my Mav's and PXG's. Trying to smooth out my swing a little I put Flighted 5.5's straight in on the Sub 70's. Same specs as others (checked on my Mitchell)

Feel and flight off of these were not what I was expecting, but will hold judgement until after Member/Guest when I can put the same shafts in them. Visually, larger than expected, dont be scared of the "Pro" logo on them! Do over, id get entire set Pro to get rid of some offset.

More to come for sure. I want to give these a good run against others...apples to apples.

20200916_122946.jpg.5aad820c0b01c9ef5dab000405b6dcd2.jpg20200916_122934.jpg.5b5850921345e0276bee3f5d9838018d.jpg20200916_122957.jpg.9d7ed8dcb3fec27603df70c6a7984fc3.jpg20200916_122934.jpg.5b5850921345e0276bee3f5d9838018d.jpg

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

9 hours ago, VA_Astra said:

More to come for sure. I want to give these a good run against others...apples to apples

Looking forward to hearing more about them! Good luck in the Member Guest! If it's anything like the ones I've played in, staying sober gives you like a 4 stroke advantage... 

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I am demoing 639 CB irons now with KBS Tour 120 (stiff) shafts. This shaft was my top recommendation from using the Mizuno Shaft Analyzer. It appears to be a great fit.

I am gaming Bridgestone J15 CB irons with DG Pro shafts and could move to the 639 CB without missing a beat. Even though the Bridgestones are D3 and the Sub 70s are D1, they still felt familiar. D1 seems to be more common now across brands as companies have moved a shade lighter than 5 years ago. I really enjoyed the feel of the shaft and the heads had nice pop - feel and sound. Biggest adjustment would be the look of a little more offset on the 639 CB even though the specs don’t agree with that visual. Anyway, great sticks and the customization is amazing with endless options.

I’m now anxiously awaiting the 699 Pro to demo and have ideas of a combo set. 

Srixon ZX5 9* driver: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Ping G410 2h, 3h, 4h: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Srixon ZX7 5-PW: Recoil 95 (HS + lead tape)
Titleist Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58: Recoil 110
Rife Cayman (+tungsten powder)
Srixon Z-Star Diamond

22 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

Looking forward to hearing more about them! Good luck in the Member Guest! If it's anything like the ones I've played in, staying sober gives you like a 4 stroke advantage... 

Thanks, first one at the new club, but hitting the ball well right now. Goal is to at least be in the mix.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Callaway Chrome Tour

4 minutes ago, VA_Astra said:

Thanks, first one at the new club, but hitting the ball well right now. Goal is to at least be in the mix.

I've always found Member Guests to be weird experiences... depends on the club and the guests, I guess... 

My dad and I played in one a few years back where a team basically left after the rounds on Friday, went to a concert in St Louis (from Louisville) and showed back up at the course still drunk and having not slept... We had played a close match with them the day before, and they proceeded to lose something like 16 holes the next day. That was somewhat of a bummer. 

All you can do is play well! We kept another team out of the playoff because neither my dad nor I stopped trying... He sunk an 8 footer for par on our last hole to keep them out. They were PISSED. 

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

1 minute ago, Myherobobhope said:

I've always found Member Guests to be weird experiences... depends on the club and the guests, I guess... 

My dad and I played in one a few years back where a team basically left after the rounds on Friday, went to a concert in St Louis (from Louisville) and showed back up at the course still drunk and having not slept... We had played a close match with them the day before, and they proceeded to lose something like 16 holes the next day. That was somewhat of a bummer. 

All you can do is play well! We kept another team out of the playoff because neither my dad nor I stopped trying... He sunk an 8 footer for par on our last hole to keep them out. They were PISSED. 

That sounds, odd. I think it's pretty normal for people to try throughout the whole tournament in a Member/Guest. Seems like you just had a weird experience.

2 minutes ago, squish45 said:

That sounds, odd. I think it's pretty normal for people to try throughout the whole tournament in a Member/Guest. Seems like you just had a weird experience.

Yeah, it definitely was... I've played at other clubs where it was more fun and there were less drunken shenanigans... I'm over member guests, right now... if I gain a golf buddy who ISN'T a member at my club, I'd probably do it again... but I'd rather play non-competitive faster rounds with my dad when given the chance.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

1 hour ago, Myherobobhope said:

Yeah, it definitely was... I've played at other clubs where it was more fun and there were less drunken shenanigans... I'm over member guests, right now... if I gain a golf buddy who ISN'T a member at my club, I'd probably do it again... but I'd rather play non-competitive faster rounds with my dad when given the chance.

Some of what you're describing is why I've not joined the Men's Club at my course (public course, if that matters).  I'm not sure I'd be too excited about some of the guys in the club, they take things a little too seriously.  I've heard there are even some Seve wannabees (gamesmanship).  

Don't have much time for that crap.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 hours ago, Godfather said:

I am demoing 639 CB irons now with KBS Tour 120 (stiff) shafts. This shaft was my top recommendation from using the Mizuno Shaft Analyzer. It appears to be a great fit.

I am gaming Bridgestone J15 CB irons with DG Pro shafts and could move to the 639 CB without missing a beat. Even though the Bridgestones are D3 and the Sub 70s are D1, they still felt familiar. D1 seems to be more common now across brands as companies have moved a shade lighter than 5 years ago. I really enjoyed the feel of the shaft and the heads had nice pop - feel and sound. Biggest adjustment would be the look of a little more offset on the 639 CB even though the specs don’t agree with that visual. Anyway, great sticks and the customization is amazing with endless options.

I’m now anxiously awaiting the 699 Pro to demo and have ideas of a combo set. 

To follow up on this comparison, here are a few pics:

346AACB7-338A-42D3-9192-371EF4AD3B3E.jpeg

172FCDF7-E240-42AE-9641-8086B6576F50.jpeg

9F4577A2-2587-4F16-80E8-0A788BA3E50B.jpeg

Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Got my 699s 5-W checked at my local club fitter. Lofts were 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 46. Lies were 57.5, 58.5, 59, 60, 61, 62.5. So, flatter than ordered, and weaker loft in pretty much every club. But $93 a club shipped with my shaft and grip is hard to match

PXG 0811X+ 10.5* (12*)

CW Epic Flash 5W 

TM M3 3H & 4H

TM RocketBladez HL 5-PW

W/S PMP 52*, 56*, 60*

Cleveland HB Soft #1

1 hour ago, rondre3000 said:

Is that glare, or did the bottom of the Sub70 club wear thru the original black finish?

Slightly worn away, but more than it appears with the glare. It’s a demo club so I’m sure it’s seen a ton of use. In that pic I wanted to show the similar leading edge relief on both clubs. The wear and glare is along this leading edge relief. 

Edited by Godfather
  • Like 1

Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Ordered a short set (6-PW) of the 699 Pros in black. I've always wanted black irons, figured this would be a fun and inexpensive way to play with a black set. I'm going to give them a try tomorrow, they look sweet and the price was right! Got them with KBS TGI shafts (special order) and my preferred Pure Pro grips.

I'll give a quick review on them tomorrow.

IMG_1013.JPG

Edited by chocolate_rehab
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

29 minutes ago, chocolate_rehab said:

Ordered a short set (6-PW) of the 699 Pros in black. I've always wanted black irons, figured this would be a fun and inexpensive way to play with a black set. I'm going to give them a try tomorrow, they look sweet and the price was right! Got them with KBS TGI shafts (special order) and my preferred Pure Pro grips.

IMG_1013.JPG

Def look better in black IMO...when they are new at least ?

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Callaway Chrome Tour

11 hours ago, Godfather said:

To follow up on this comparison, here are a few pics:

346AACB7-338A-42D3-9192-371EF4AD3B3E.jpeg

172FCDF7-E240-42AE-9641-8086B6576F50.jpeg

9F4577A2-2587-4F16-80E8-0A788BA3E50B.jpeg

The CB looks good. I got the 699 trying to find something to compete against the Mav Pros, but those look nasty!

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Callaway Chrome Tour

11 hours ago, chocolate_rehab said:

IMG_1013.JPG

How'd they treat you?

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58