Swing Speed Guidance

Sheesh. My kid just did a little golf camp and at 8yrs. old he's at 63mph.. He won that drive/chip/putt driving portion with 3 in a row on a dinner plate at 120. Skeptical about trying to add speed and mess up his tempo so I'll leave that in the hands of a coach, which I think we are going to have after camp last week. 

Edited by ezra76
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 8:20 AM, ezra76 said:

Sheesh. My kid just did a little golf camp and at 8yrs. old he's at 63mph.. He won that drive/chip/putt driving portion with 3 in a row on a dinner plate at 120. Skeptical about trying to add speed and mess up his tempo so I'll leave that in the hands of a coach, which I think we are going to have after camp last week. 

No reason to add speed at 8.  Weights don't mess up tempo, Super Speeds or any other swing speed program does.

• Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

1 hour ago, Rob DeHaven said:

Have you found particular weight exercises that are more beneficial to help with golf?

I think everyone will have a different prescription that works for them.  Olympic Style lifts are going to be the most beneficial for everyone.  Squat, Clean, Snatch, Deadlift, and Throw in the bench press as well.  You have to put in stability and mobility exercises as well to prevent injury.  My recommendation is to seek someone with TPI experience.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Rob DeHaven said:

Have you found particular weight exercises that are more beneficial to help with golf?

We worked with 1 on 1 with a virtual trainer that has helped even into college.  Son was lightyears ahead of the other freshman.  He is  a gym rat as well.

If you want the trainers info. DM me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

We worked with 1 on 1 with a virtual trainer that has helped even into college.  Son was lightyears ahead of the other freshman.  He is  a gym rat as well.

If you want the trainers info. DM me.

I have a good friend that owns a local gym and she knows her stuff was just wondering what exercises you all noticed made the greatest improvement for the swing. My son is 9 so we are just getting started with this. I’ll message you next. Thanks. 

15 hours ago, Rob DeHaven said:

I have a good friend that owns a local gym and she knows her stuff was just wondering what exercises you all noticed made the greatest improvement for the swing. My son is 9 so we are just getting started with this. I’ll message you next. Thanks. 

Agree with @leezer99

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 3:24 AM, Tigerswag said:

I sort of agree. 🙂

My son is 15....so....speed stick training could be impacting 10-12 year olds more than a few years ago. My son was considered ‘long’ for a 12yo. He would hit his driver 210-230. There were alway outliers at worlds or future masters....but, rarely did he encounter longer players on a regional level.

If it helps he has consistently been one of the longer players for his age.

12 years old 82 mph SS

13 broke 100

14 105

15 112

These numbers are from trackman

I can only imagine the swing speed progression of the above speeds.

Pretty much the same track my son was on as a junior (starts college golf this fall).  Typically around age 14 swing speed starts going up.  At 14, my son was around 105 as well.  Now at 18  up to 125.  Now if I can just get his head straight!!

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 11:40 AM, DevilDog said:

Pretty much the same track my son was on as a junior (starts college golf this fall).  Typically around age 14 swing speed starts going up.  At 14, my son was around 105 as well.  Now at 18  up to 125.  Now if I can just get his head straight!!

It is absolutely crazy the swing speeds juniors have now.  PGA Tour Average is 114.  I guarantee the average swing speed for juniors moving on to play collegiate golf at the D1-D3 levels are over 114.  My kid going into his senior year is right on 118.  After HS season he will take off November to January and focus on his body.  It will be nothing to get it to 120 over those 3 months.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

It is absolutely crazy the swing speeds juniors have now.  PGA Tour Average is 114.  I guarantee the average swing speed for juniors moving on to play collegiate golf at the D1-D3 levels is over 114.  My kid going into his senior year is right on 118.  After HS season he will take off November to January and focus on his body.  It will be nothing to get it to 120 over those 3 months.

Average swing speed for winners has been 119 this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

23 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

It is absolutely crazy the swing speeds juniors have now.  PGA Tour Average is 114.  I guarantee the average swing speed for juniors moving on to play collegiate golf at the D1-D3 levels are over 114.  My kid going into his senior year is right on 118.  After HS season he will take off November to January and focus on his body.  It will be nothing to get it to 120 over those 3 months.

Went to watch son play in an event and the kids all bombed it.  All of them.  Instruction is better, equipment is better and they are taught to rip it.  If your son is on 118, he will be 125 range soon.  D1 schools all recruit distance.  Want kids who can crush it.  Good luck to him in his senior season!  

2 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Went to watch son play in an event and the kids all bombed it.  All of them.  Instruction is better, equipment is better and they are taught to rip it.  If your son is on 118, he will be 125 range soon.  D1 schools all recruit distance.  Want kids who can crush it.  Good luck to him in his senior season!  

D1 schools and D2 schools all want kids that can crush it.  The issue of the class of 2023 is the intersection of extra Covid years and the Transfer Portal.  It has killed recruiting for this class.  Kids that are mid major D1's in terms of previous years rankings aren't even getting sniffs from D2 schools.  This isn't even golf related, it is across the board in all sports.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

What we did for ours was he started pushing his own cart at 8, have him eat right, practice and they will develop. Were a bit crazy to everyone around us but weights at 8 years old............. not so sure about that.

Just went and looked up some history. 8 years old for our son we ordered a new driver not US Kids and told the maker that "He was carrying his us kids about 77-90 yards" and that he was too short to move up in US Kids shafts without modification. FLYNN GOLF VT MAX | Junior Golf Clubs Shafts Grips (flynn-golf.com) was where he got his.

13 minutes ago, rpawly said:

What we did for ours was he started pushing his own cart at 8, have him eat right, practice and they will develop. Were a bit crazy to everyone around us but weights at 8 years old............. not so sure about that.

Just went and looked up some history. 8 years old for our son we ordered a new driver not US Kids and told the maker that "He was carrying his us kids about 77-90 yards" and that he was too short to move up in US Kids shafts without modification. FLYNN GOLF VT MAX | Junior Golf Clubs Shafts Grips (flynn-golf.com) was where he got his.

Come on man.  Gotta lift as soon as you walk.

Baby Winner GIF

• 1 year later...

Chiming in after the bump. My son is now 10 and at 72-73mph. Still has the good accuracy.

We are going to get a little more serious this year. He's got a great junior league coach, former D1 and minitour player and just won pga instructor of the year up here. My son had a lesson a few days ago and got a little fire under his butt. Keeping it fun but knowing he has a lot of natural talent. Coach wants him to start doing some NEPGA junior events this year to get his feet wet.

I've started playing him for robucks vs chores 1stroke a hole and he smoked me 3/2 then hit driver/wedge 2 putt par on 8 for an exclamation point. 😁 

I'm really not worried about him keeping up with swing speeds until he's hit puberty. He's playing all ladies shafts and handling ladies tees appropriately. He can strike irons better than any kid in the limited pool we've seen with 7i as 100yd. club. He hits an 18* 5w and DoD routinely into par 5's. 

55 minutes ago, ezra76 said:

Chiming in after the bump. My son is now 10 and at 72-73mph. Still has the good accuracy.

We are going to get a little more serious this year. He's got a great junior league coach, former D1 and minitour player and just won pga instructor of the year up here. My son had a lesson a few days ago and got a little fire under his butt. Keeping it fun but knowing he has a lot of natural talent. Coach wants him to start doing some NEPGA junior events this year to get his feet wet.

I've started playing him for robucks vs chores 1stroke a hole and he smoked me 3/2 then hit driver/wedge 2 putt par on 8 for an exclamation point. 😁 

I'm really not worried about him keeping up with swing speeds until he's hit puberty. He's playing all ladies shafts and handling ladies tees appropriately. He can strike irons better than any kid in the limited pool we've seen with 7i as 100yd. club. He hits an 18* 5w and DoD routinely into par 5's. 

10 has been a fun year for my son, and we're one month from 11.  His SS has climbed about 10%, which is a similar increase he experienced from nine to 10.

Much respect for kids who can hit DoD, my kids aren't that adventurous yet. 🤣

• Like 2