My Experience Gaming Blades as a Mid-High Handicapper

Andus

> @nsxguy said:

> > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > >

> > > > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > > After the round and often until I play the next one I can remember every shot I hit during that round; good, bad or somewhere in between. So as for "shots" I remember all of them.

> > > >

> > > > Right. *huge eye roll*

> > > >

> > > > They did a study on this at Columbia. Virtually no golfer could accurately remember every shot, and most were off on 1/3rd of their shots. The link is in a prior thread. I can try to dig it out. But they test exactly this. Its a phenomenon called athletic memory decay. You don't remember your shots correctly. You think you do, but you don't (or you are an extremely rare type of human that stores memory without emotion AND has a huge capacity for short-term memory).

> > > > >

> > > > > That's the typical WRX'er though.

> > > > >

> > > > > I used to think I had a great memory and then I began playing 2-3 times each week and I had to make a point of writing down all my stats soon after I got done. I'd forget stuff if I got more than 2 rounds ahead.

> > > > >

> > >

> > > Perhaps you missed the part (post ?) where I said "_Don't remember **if you primarily play the same course most of the time but when I did that, or even now that I'm very familiar with the 2 courses I play primarily**, I can usually remember every shot I played during the previous round after the round. In fact, I usually do exactly that on the ride home after the round_." ?

> > >

> > >

> > > Now that may or may not cause you to" unroll" your huge eye roll but, if not, I can't help you. It's a fact that, sans you're coming here to play a round and ride home afterwards and have me recite every shot to you, I guess you'll just have to believe what you'll believe. Up to you.

> > >

> > >

> > > Now, by remembering every shot, I mean the club I hit and where it ended up, not necessarily exact distances,,,,,,, if that helps any.

> > >

> > >

> > > If I play a course for the FIRST (through ??) time,,,,,,, NO CHANCE I'll remember every shot. I might remember a hole or 3 but that's about it. Takes me roughly 5-10 rounds before I can remember the entire layout, sometimes longer.

> >

> > You remember every shot. You just remember them incorrectly. The best drive you hit you'll remember as 10 yards longer than it actually was and the worst chip you hit you'll remember as atrocious when in reality it went to the fringe and you'd probably have made a 5 anyways. Your brain doesn't remember score. It remembers emotion. That is an awful way to choose equipment.

>

> Incorrectly ? What is wrong with you ? You know what happens when you ****-U-ME, don't you ?

>

> I'll remember my best drive as 10 yards longer than it really was ? I SAID I wouldn't remember exact yardages and this has NOTHING to do with "choosing equipment" ? What I said was I'd remember every club I hit and roughly where every shot went,,,, for 18 holes,,,,,, on a course I was very familiar with.

>

> If you'd like me to PROVE it to you, come on down to South Florida.

I was using the royal you. I should have said "one" not "you" and added "typically". I am talking over a long period of time like the time period would one evaluate when switching or not switching their entire set of irons. I didn't mean that literally you have a really crappy memory. We've never met.

My parents live in Naples, Fl. and I'm always looking for a game or two when I visit - going down there end of this month. Are you east or west coast? I am a big fan of hacking it up with fellow WRXers. Have yet to find a single one who is at all unpleasant on the golf course.

• Like 1

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > >

> > > > > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > > > After the round and often until I play the next one I can remember every shot I hit during that round; good, bad or somewhere in between. So as for "shots" I remember all of them.

> > > > >

> > > > > Right. *huge eye roll*

> > > > >

> > > > > They did a study on this at Columbia. Virtually no golfer could accurately remember every shot, and most were off on 1/3rd of their shots. The link is in a prior thread. I can try to dig it out. But they test exactly this. Its a phenomenon called athletic memory decay. You don't remember your shots correctly. You think you do, but you don't (or you are an extremely rare type of human that stores memory without emotion AND has a huge capacity for short-term memory).

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That's the typical WRX'er though.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I used to think I had a great memory and then I began playing 2-3 times each week and I had to make a point of writing down all my stats soon after I got done. I'd forget stuff if I got more than 2 rounds ahead.

> > > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Perhaps you missed the part (post ?) where I said "_Don't remember **if you primarily play the same course most of the time but when I did that, or even now that I'm very familiar with the 2 courses I play primarily**, I can usually remember every shot I played during the previous round after the round. In fact, I usually do exactly that on the ride home after the round_." ?

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Now that may or may not cause you to" unroll" your huge eye roll but, if not, I can't help you. It's a fact that, sans you're coming here to play a round and ride home afterwards and have me recite every shot to you, I guess you'll just have to believe what you'll believe. Up to you.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Now, by remembering every shot, I mean the club I hit and where it ended up, not necessarily exact distances,,,,,,, if that helps any.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > If I play a course for the FIRST (through ??) time,,,,,,, NO CHANCE I'll remember every shot. I might remember a hole or 3 but that's about it. Takes me roughly 5-10 rounds before I can remember the entire layout, sometimes longer.

> > >

> > > You remember every shot. You just remember them incorrectly. The best drive you hit you'll remember as 10 yards longer than it actually was and the worst chip you hit you'll remember as atrocious when in reality it went to the fringe and you'd probably have made a 5 anyways. Your brain doesn't remember score. It remembers emotion. That is an awful way to choose equipment.

> >

> > Incorrectly ? What is wrong with you ? You know what happens when you ****-U-ME, don't you ?

> >

> > I'll remember my best drive as 10 yards longer than it really was ? I SAID I wouldn't remember exact yardages and this has NOTHING to do with "choosing equipment" ? What I said was I'd remember every club I hit and roughly where every shot went,,,, for 18 holes,,,,,, on a course I was very familiar with.

> >

> > If you'd like me to PROVE it to you, come on down to South Florida.

>

>

>

> I am a big fan of hacking it up with fellow WRXers. Have yet to find a single one who is at all unpleasant on the golf course.

Just wait Pine, some day you and I will hook up for a round and then you’ll have your guy!?

> @MelloYello said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> >

> > Try reading post 1141. Did you or did you not write that post ?

> >

> > You seem to have confused DSS and you seem to have been talking to me.

> >

> > Mind clarifying bro ? LOL

>

> Go back and read it, dude. Nothing confusing about it.

>

> What I wrote does also apply to you but it was directed at DSS who seemed to feel it necessary to describe having an ability that all human golfers have.

>

> He also disagreed with @pinestreetgolf who in this case has been spot on. He and I do not disagree.

LOL. Nothing confusing about it ? Then why did you direct the "years ago" comment to DSS (in 1149) ? HE didn't say anything about "years ago". And he told you exactly that so apparently(?) HE didn't understand your reference/post either. So we're confused and you wrote clearly ? OK.

And why, when you quoted THIS post of mine did you cut out all the prior quotes, including BTW, DSS correcting you ? LOL

Here's a hint (not that you really need it). When quoting a single post it is fairly obvious to the reader that one is replying TO the quoted post.

When one is quoting multiple posts, one is still typically assumed to be replying to the LATEST quoted post unless one specifies one is talking to someone else from one of his "nested" quotes. And then he will specifically mention the other poster's name.

Otherwise, the reader (properly IMO) assumes you are replying ONLY to the latest post,,,,,,, just as DSS and I did.

Anywho,,,,,, carry on,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > >

> > > > > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > > > After the round and often until I play the next one I can remember every shot I hit during that round; good, bad or somewhere in between. So as for "shots" I remember all of them.

> > > > >

> > > > > Right. *huge eye roll*

> > > > >

> > > > > They did a study on this at Columbia. Virtually no golfer could accurately remember every shot, and most were off on 1/3rd of their shots. The link is in a prior thread. I can try to dig it out. But they test exactly this. Its a phenomenon called athletic memory decay. You don't remember your shots correctly. You think you do, but you don't (or you are an extremely rare type of human that stores memory without emotion AND has a huge capacity for short-term memory).

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That's the typical WRX'er though.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I used to think I had a great memory and then I began playing 2-3 times each week and I had to make a point of writing down all my stats soon after I got done. I'd forget stuff if I got more than 2 rounds ahead.

> > > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Perhaps you missed the part (post ?) where I said "_Don't remember **if you primarily play the same course most of the time but when I did that, or even now that I'm very familiar with the 2 courses I play primarily**, I can usually remember every shot I played during the previous round after the round. In fact, I usually do exactly that on the ride home after the round_." ?

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Now that may or may not cause you to" unroll" your huge eye roll but, if not, I can't help you. It's a fact that, sans you're coming here to play a round and ride home afterwards and have me recite every shot to you, I guess you'll just have to believe what you'll believe. Up to you.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Now, by remembering every shot, I mean the club I hit and where it ended up, not necessarily exact distances,,,,,,, if that helps any.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > If I play a course for the FIRST (through ??) time,,,,,,, NO CHANCE I'll remember every shot. I might remember a hole or 3 but that's about it. Takes me roughly 5-10 rounds before I can remember the entire layout, sometimes longer.

> > >

> > > You remember every shot. You just remember them incorrectly. The best drive you hit you'll remember as 10 yards longer than it actually was and the worst chip you hit you'll remember as atrocious when in reality it went to the fringe and you'd probably have made a 5 anyways. Your brain doesn't remember score. It remembers emotion. That is an awful way to choose equipment.

> >

> > Incorrectly ? What is wrong with you ? You know what happens when you ****-U-ME, don't you ?

> >

> > I'll remember my best drive as 10 yards longer than it really was ? I SAID I wouldn't remember exact yardages and this has NOTHING to do with "choosing equipment" ? What I said was I'd remember every club I hit and roughly where every shot went,,,, for 18 holes,,,,,, on a course I was very familiar with.

> >

> > If you'd like me to PROVE it to you, come on down to South Florida.

>

> I was using the royal you. I should have said "one" not "you" and added "typically". I am talking over a long period of time like the time period would one evaluate when switching or not switching their entire set of irons. I didn't mean that literally you have a really **** memory. We've never met.

>

> My parents live in Naples, Fl. and I'm always looking for a game or two when I visit - going down there end of this month. Are you east or west coast? I am a big fan of hacking it up with fellow WRXers. Have yet to find a single one who is at all unpleasant on the golf course.

I still don't quite understand all you've posted. The Columbia study where someone got wrong 1/3 of his shots ? "_Virtually no golfer could accurately remember every shot, and most were off on 1/3rd of their shots_".

And later on you seemed to indicate that after the round 2 out of 3 could remember all his shots ?

And now I apologize for my "choosing equipment" disconnect. That IS what the thread is about after all even though my point about remembering wasn't (supposed to be anyway). My bad.

But yes, for choosing irons it's mostly a "feel" thing since I don't keep any stats. As I go over the round in my head I'll just file away whether I had a poor, decent, good or great ball striking round with my irons and the ones I feel as though I hit sufficiently well over a period of time are the ones that stay in the bag,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, until they don't,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL

Having said that I typically keep a set of irons in the bag for at least 5 or 6 rounds before deciding on them. And if they stay in the bag they're usually there for a fair bit of time. I'm not one who switches off between 2 or 3 sets every few rounds like some claim. If they're in the bag they're in the bag. Once they're out they seldom get another chance.

And actually I'd love to play with another WRXer but I'm on the other side; the east coast.

Later

Titleist Pro V1X

@nsxguy , where do you play on the east coast of South FL?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @dpb5031 said:

> @nsxguy , where do you play on the east coast of South FL?

Palm Beach County - quite a distance from you IIRC. I think you're up north, yes ?

Titleist Pro V1X

> @Krt22 said:

> I love it when caps are used in excess.

ME too, ITS GREAT, especially WHEN ITS in EXCESS!!!!!

LOL! Krt22 I talk and likely type with my hands if you met me in real life.... Man this GolfWRX.... I got the same rash for it on the Political Debate sites, LOL I am passionate about my feelings! What can I say.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I'll tell you what man. All debate about forgiveness aside, hitting a blade PURE is just something that can't be replicated. My Z945s shafted with TOUR ISSUE X100 shafts are AMAZING. No lose of distance, just PURINA PUPPY CHOW WOOF WOOF. Despite it feeling like hitting a warm dinner roll, the ball still ROCKETS off the face with an amazing ball flight, PENETRATING through the atmosphere like a surface to air missile. Then the way it slides through the turf like a HOT knife through BUTTER! Now when I thin one (my miss), its BONE JARRING. I then put it down for a minute and rethink my choices.

• Like 1

> @nsxguy said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > @nsxguy , where do you play on the east coast of South FL?

>

> Palm Beach County - quite a distance from you IIRC. I think you're up north, yes ?

I'm in Jupiter! Moved down here Dec. 1st. Live in Abacoa

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @Krt22 said:

> I'll tell you what man. All debate about forgiveness aside, hitting a blade PURE is just something that can't be replicated. My Z945s shafted with TOUR ISSUE X100 shafts are AMAZING. No lose of distance, just PURINA PUPPY CHOW WOOF WOOF. Despite it feeling like hitting a warm dinner roll, the ball still ROCKETS off the face with an amazing ball flight, PENETRATING through the atmosphere like a surface to air missile. Then the way it slides through the turf like a HOT knife through BUTTER! Now when I thin one (my miss), its BONE JARRING. I then put it down for a minute and rethink my choices.

>

Im telling you, still got it, Nike forged blade 2 iron in X100 When I pure that thing, It doesnt even feel like there was a ball there being struck, amazing feel and club..... but alas.... its just a range queen... no guts to take it on the course.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> > I have never met a 10-handicap who's not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> >

> > I'm not here to spare feelings. I have no reason not to express what I think.

>

> I have never met a golfer who is not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

>

> Who cares about feelings and what you think is not necessarily true.

how true is that statement? So why all the fuss regarding one specific group if everyone misses with their irons? Unless of course someone is willing to argue they hit 100% of all greens in regulation.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Ping G430 #3 hybrid with RDX red 80 

Srixon ZX MK 11 #3 Utility iron 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges... TBD

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

> @cliffhanger said:

>

>

> > > I have never met a 10-handicap who's not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> > >

> > > I'm not here to spare feelings. I have no reason not to express what I think.

> >

> > I have never met a golfer who is not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> >

> > Who cares about feelings and what you think is not necessarily true.

> how true is that statement? So why all the fuss regarding one specific group if everyone misses with their irons? Unless of course someone is willing to argue they hit 100% of all greens in regulation.

>

It’s a very true statement and I for one am not sure why there is all the fuss when a high/mid/low/scratch golfer wants to play blades. If you miss the green by 5 yards or 50 it’s still a stroke.

> @Golf4lifer said:

> > @cliffhanger said:

> >

> >

> > > > I have never met a 10-handicap who's not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> > > >

> > > > I'm not here to spare feelings. I have no reason not to express what I think.

> > >

> > > I have never met a golfer who is not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> > >

> > > Who cares about feelings and what you think is not necessarily true.

> > how true is that statement? So why all the fuss regarding one specific group if everyone misses with their irons? Unless of course someone is willing to argue they hit 100% of all greens in regulation.

> >

>

> It’s a very true statement and I for one am not sure why there is all the fuss when a high/mid/low/scratch golfer wants to play blades. If you miss the green by 5 yards or 50 it’s still a stroke.

considering that everyone misses, then in theory everyone needs more forgiveness, not just mid or high cappers.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Wedges... TBD

Pro V1 

> @cliffhanger said:

> > @Golf4lifer said:

> > > @cliffhanger said:

> > >

> > >

> > > > > I have never met a 10-handicap who's not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm not here to spare feelings. I have no reason not to express what I think.

> > > >

> > > > I have never met a golfer who is not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> > > >

> > > > Who cares about feelings and what you think is not necessarily true.

> > > how true is that statement? So why all the fuss regarding one specific group if everyone misses with their irons? Unless of course someone is willing to argue they hit 100% of all greens in regulation.

> > >

> >

> > It’s a very true statement and I for one am not sure why there is all the fuss when a high/mid/low/scratch golfer wants to play blades. If you miss the green by 5 yards or 50 it’s still a stroke.

>

> considering that everyone misses, then in theory everyone needs more forgiveness, not just mid or high cappers.

ok but a miss is not just a loss of yardage, it is also left and right or WAY left and WAY right... how is a perimeter weighted club going to fix that?

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @cliffhanger said:

> > > @Golf4lifer said:

> > > > @cliffhanger said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > > > I have never met a 10-handicap who's not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'm not here to spare feelings. I have no reason not to express what I think.

> > > > >

> > > > > I have never met a golfer who is not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> > > > >

> > > > > Who cares about feelings and what you think is not necessarily true.

> > > > how true is that statement? So why all the fuss regarding one specific group if everyone misses with their irons? Unless of course someone is willing to argue they hit 100% of all greens in regulation.

> > > >

> > >

> > > It’s a very true statement and I for one am not sure why there is all the fuss when a high/mid/low/scratch golfer wants to play blades. If you miss the green by 5 yards or 50 it’s still a stroke.

> >

> > considering that everyone misses, then in theory everyone needs more forgiveness, not just mid or high cappers.

>

> ok but a miss is not just a loss of yardage, it is also left and right or WAY left and WAY right... how is a perimeter weighted club going to fix that?

It won’t.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Wedges... TBD

Pro V1 

> @cliffhanger said:

> > @Exactice808 said:

> > > @cliffhanger said:

> > > > @Golf4lifer said:

> > > > > @cliffhanger said:

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > > > I have never met a 10-handicap who's not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I'm not here to spare feelings. I have no reason not to express what I think.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I have never met a golfer who is not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Who cares about feelings and what you think is not necessarily true.

> > > > > how true is that statement? So why all the fuss regarding one specific group if everyone misses with their irons? Unless of course someone is willing to argue they hit 100% of all greens in regulation.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > It’s a very true statement and I for one am not sure why there is all the fuss when a high/mid/low/scratch golfer wants to play blades. If you miss the green by 5 yards or 50 it’s still a stroke.

> > >

> > > considering that everyone misses, then in theory everyone needs more forgiveness, not just mid or high cappers.

> >

> > ok but a miss is not just a loss of yardage, it is also left and right or WAY left and WAY right... how is a perimeter weighted club going to fix that?

>

> It won’t.

And this is the correct answer. A perimeter weighted club “may” help a little, but not that much from my experience.

> @cliffhanger said:

> > @Golf4lifer said:

> > > @cliffhanger said:

> > >

> > >

> > > > > I have never met a 10-handicap who's not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm not here to spare feelings. I have no reason not to express what I think.

> > > >

> > > > I have never met a golfer who is not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> > > >

> > > > Who cares about feelings and what you think is not necessarily true.

> > > how true is that statement? So why all the fuss regarding one specific group if everyone misses with their irons? Unless of course someone is willing to argue they hit 100% of all greens in regulation.

> > >

> >

> > It’s a very true statement and I for one am not sure why there is all the fuss when a high/mid/low/scratch golfer wants to play blades. If you miss the green by 5 yards or 50 it’s still a stroke.

>

> considering that everyone misses, then in theory everyone needs more forgiveness, not just mid or high cappers.

True, but isn’t golf about managing your misses? How can we judge a mid/high handicapper when we haven’t seen their swing or know their game?

When I started golfing I played blades because that’s what was available. I was a high handicap because I could not drive the ball straight and could not hit a chip or pitch to save my life. My iron game was good and it kept me playing the game. Once I figured out how to chip/pitch I dropped from a 25 to an 18. Then once I figured out the driver I got down to a 7. In my eyes, the blades I played never played a role in my improvement, but they didn’t have an adverse effect either. To me they were just my irons.

> @nsxguy said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > >

> > > Try reading post 1141. Did you or did you not write that post ?

> > >

> > > You seem to have confused DSS and you seem to have been talking to me.

> > >

> > > Mind clarifying bro ? LOL

> >

> > Go back and read it, dude. Nothing confusing about it.

> >

> > What I wrote does also apply to you but it was directed at DSS who seemed to feel it necessary to describe having an ability that all human golfers have.

> >

> > He also disagreed with @pinestreetgolf who in this case has been spot on. He and I do not disagree.

>

> LOL. Nothing confusing about it ? Then why did you direct the "years ago" comment to DSS (in 1149) ? HE didn't say anything about "years ago". And he told you exactly that so apparently(?) HE didn't understand your reference/post either. So we're confused and you wrote clearly ? OK.

>

> And why, when you quoted THIS post of mine did you cut out all the prior quotes, including BTW, DSS correcting you ? LOL

>

> Here's a hint (not that you really need it). When quoting a single post it is fairly obvious to the reader that one is replying TO the quoted post.

>

> When one is quoting multiple posts, one is still typically assumed to be replying to the LATEST quoted post unless one specifies one is talking to someone else from one of his "nested" quotes. And then he will specifically mention the other poster's name.

>

> Otherwise, the reader (properly IMO) assumes you are replying ONLY to the latest post,,,,,,, just as DSS and I did.

>

> Anywho,,,,,, carry on,,,,,,,

>

>

>

Haha, game recognizes game holmes.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> If you miss the green by 5 yards or 50 it’s still a stroke.

Good point. The up and down rates from both of those yardages are nearly identical.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I think its more a matter of what you enjoy more and your overall objective with the game and why YOU play it and not others. Stretching to an iron you like the looks and feel of when you hit it pure at the expense of working on the part of your game where you know you need to improve says that you are not all that stressed about lowering your scoring. If that's what elevates your enjoyment of golf, that's great!! I think you said looks and feel were more important to you. Trying out MBs for mid handicapers is just that. Trying them out on a launch monitor before plunking down +1K would be my strong suggestion with a good fitter. If you just want them in your bag, well go ahead and order them online. You'll love the way they look in your bag ( shouting "hey world I am a player" ) but I suggest you also get a couple of really decent hybrids if you want to improve your scoring when you are on the course!

You don't earn your living playing golf right? Not many on these forums do. If you really care about lowering your HCP... then you really need to focus from 100 yards in on your pitching, chipping and putting given what you have told us. Know where your game needs improvement and focus on that assuming that's really your objective. You need to be honest with yourself. What's your real objective? Feel, looks or handicap improvement? They are not mutually exclusive with today's technology. You can always get out to a range and try and pure as many MB 7 irons as you can in a quest to experience that occasional "buttery feel" you love but be very disappointed on the course. If you care more about feel and looks, then absolutely, go with the MBs! You will get the looks instantly! That sweet feel? Well, you can't buy consistency, they may be few and far between unless you spend a lot more time on your irons. There is really no need for that today. If you also care more about feel and not hurting your score, then why not go to a nice trade off like AP2s or if you like Mizzuno the new 919s. You get that wonderful feel when you hit them pure and won't hurt you too much when you are less than "pure" and they still look great in the bag with great "feel". All the major equipment players have something that will get you close to a good compromise. HOWEVER... if lowering your score is more important to you, you must get out there and work on your pitching chipping and putting . No easy way out on that one! :)

MOST IMPORTANTLY HAVE FUN and if its about feel and less about scoring then go for it but be realistic in your expectations.

Golf, in a perverse sort of way, is like a very expensive search for that "Holy Grail". The Mfgs. know it and thrive off of it. Best advice for anyone is borrow or get a used MB 6 or 7 iron and play a few rounds with them before you spend big $$. But... If you care more about what's showing in your bag rather than your scoring, then go for it . The major mfgs are happy to take your money! Thanks for the interesting post.

G410 Plus 10.5
G410  3W 16d
RogueX 17 22 H

Sub70 699Pro 6 - 9

T20 PW
CBX 52 56 60
Newport 2 

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @cliffhanger said:

> > > @Golf4lifer said:

> > > > @cliffhanger said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > > > I have never met a 10-handicap who's not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'm not here to spare feelings. I have no reason not to express what I think.

> > > > >

> > > > > I have never met a golfer who is not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> > > > >

> > > > > Who cares about feelings and what you think is not necessarily true.

> > > > how true is that statement? So why all the fuss regarding one specific group if everyone misses with their irons? Unless of course someone is willing to argue they hit 100% of all greens in regulation.

> > > >

> > >

> > > It’s a very true statement and I for one am not sure why there is all the fuss when a high/mid/low/scratch golfer wants to play blades. If you miss the green by 5 yards or 50 it’s still a stroke.

> >

> > considering that everyone misses, then in theory everyone needs more forgiveness, not just mid or high cappers.

>

> ok but a miss is not just a loss of yardage, it is also left and right or WAY left and WAY right... how is a perimeter weighted club going to fix that?

Lol. Another completely irrelevant point.

> > ok but a miss is not just a loss of yardage, it is also left and right or WAY left and WAY right... how is a perimeter weighted club going to fix that?

>

> Lol. Another completely irrelevant point.

Sometimes you get in car accidents to the left or right. So obviously brakes are irrelevant as they don't help with that. May as well cut the brake lines.

The logic in this thread...

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

> @BiggErn said:

> > @Exactice808 said:

> > > @cliffhanger said:

> > > > @Golf4lifer said:

> > > > > @cliffhanger said:

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > > > I have never met a 10-handicap who's not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I'm not here to spare feelings. I have no reason not to express what I think.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I have never met a golfer who is not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Who cares about feelings and what you think is not necessarily true.

> > > > > how true is that statement? So why all the fuss regarding one specific group if everyone misses with their irons? Unless of course someone is willing to argue they hit 100% of all greens in regulation.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > It’s a very true statement and I for one am not sure why there is all the fuss when a high/mid/low/scratch golfer wants to play blades. If you miss the green by 5 yards or 50 it’s still a stroke.

> > >

> > > considering that everyone misses, then in theory everyone needs more forgiveness, not just mid or high cappers.

> >

>

> Lol. Another completely irrelevant point.

OH Really? so our quantifiable miss is a loss of distance in which a perimeter weighted club provides "forgiveness"

I did NOT realize that Cavity back clubs also fixes a club path with an open or closed faced and completely straightens out a shot.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > ok but a miss is not just a loss of yardage, it is also left and right or WAY left and WAY right... how is a perimeter weighted club going to fix that?

> >

> > Lol. Another completely irrelevant point.

>

> Sometimes you get in car accidents to the left or right. So obviously brakes are irrelevant as they don't help with that. May as well cut the brake lines.

>

> The logic in this thread...

LOL talk about irrelevant point... somehow correlating a car accident to a golf shot miss.

So tell me..... if a tour pro's average GIR is 71% (TW being 75.5% this season) in the top 10....is 29% of their misses ALWAYS SHORT? never left or right of target?

Im an amateur at best with my logged GIR at 37% and by your egregious statement, I NEVER miss the green left or right ONLY short, so CB/ cavity backs are a MUST as when I play the cavities, my GIR should SHOOT UP to 90-100% as my miss can ONLY BE LONG... right, Heck TW needs to dump is TW7 for CB's and gurantee 99% GIR... thats the only reason why hes losing strokes on approaches.... so IF i always play to the middle of the green since CB somehow straighten shots as well as you say left or right shots are "irrelevant" when I miss its a loss of yardage only and the CB's should guarantee me on the green..... Give me break. If thats your logic.... *facepalm*

How about we revisit the forced point, as im not sure what other's logic is but my logic is.

1) CB's or cavity backs are perimeter weighted to provide discretionary weight away from center to allow off centered strikes to retain the most amount of ball speed and loss of yardage. Thats it.... Retaining loss yardage on less than optimal strikes.

2) I did NOT realize that CB also magically corrected swing path, is it the discretionary weight that magically manipulates the club during the back swing?

3) I did not realize that CB magically corrected face angle at impact, does the discretionary weight mold are manipulate at impact to point straight at the target to allow the ball to go on the intended direction of the flag?

From my limited experience, I miss more shots left and right of the flag than I do short.

The PGA proximity of the hole 100-150 yards #1= JT @ 17'1", #10 is 19' 8"

Yeah I doubt I make any birdies from 17' on a consistent basis. and that is TOP 10 PGA players..

You tell me their shots are loss of distance only so an amateur like me will increase my proximity from 100-150 yards from CB's.....common...

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > ok but a miss is not just a loss of yardage, it is also left and right or WAY left and WAY right... how is a perimeter weighted club going to fix that?

> >

> > Lol. Another completely irrelevant point.

>

> Sometimes you get in car accidents to the left or right. So obviously brakes are irrelevant as they don't help with that. May as well cut the brake lines.

>

> The logic in this thread...

Lets try something else

since you skip my longer post and hate facts lets be blunt

0ejtwmqxotp6.png

This is live testing with a mid capper

P730 dispersion 8.8yard right and 22.9 yard left YUPS makes sense (31.7 gross Yards dispersion)

MCGB dispersion 28.2yards left and 16.6 yards right..... yups SGI really help the miss.. (44.8 yards gross dispersion) OH WAIT.... it did nothing and made it worse...

The obvious we all agree...CB's move weight to help retain ballspeed on less than optimal shots so they should go further.

P730 yards - 136 yard long vs 114 short (net 22yards distance dispersion)

MCGB yards 149 Yards log vs 130 short (19 yards distance dispersion)

*Edit* LOL just reviewed it further. They went 35* 7iron P730 and 29.5* 7iron MCGB not even a fair loft for loft... so the MCGB has a 5.5 loft disparity & distance advantage.

Yeah NONE will likely net me a birdie hell even an easy par.... So logic what?

• Like 1

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Funny thing there is how much better his distances are with the CB not to mention the fact that he's obviously hesitant with the blade. He carries the CB further and he generates that carry more consistently.

Using his own description, he expects to mis-hit the blade and actually prefers the sound of the CB with which he was more confident. When you look at his carry distances with the blades, it's horrific. Not only is he shorter but many of his misses are 20 yards short of where they could've been. That's nearly double the case as with the CB club.

I think that speaks to the experience of most of us that have dropped blades and it backs up why so many mid- and high-handicappers are pushed towards GI and/or player's CB designs.

• Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> Funny thing there is how much better his distances are with the CB not to mention the fact that he's obviously hesitant with the blade. He carries the CB further and he generates that carry more consistently.

>

> Using his own description, he expects to mis-hit the blade and actually prefers the sound of the CB with which he was more confident. When you look at his carry distances with the blades, it's horrific. Not only is he shorter but many of his misses are 20 yards short of where they could've been. That's nearly double the case as with the CB club.

>

> I think that speaks to the experience of most of us that have dropped blades and it backs up why so many mid- and high-handicappers are pushed towards GI and/or player's CB designs.

This is probably a more representative video in many respects...it’s an interesting watch:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JQx2jbbgK-0

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

I think the only reason why the mid's dispersion wasn't worse with the blades is because he hit it so short it couldn't go further offline.

The loft discussion is also moot. By these numbers, he needs the 5i of the blade to match up with the GI club and he's not going to hit a 5i blade well at all.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2