2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

My Experience Gaming Blades as a Mid-High Handicapper

Andus

> @jpdx said:

> Hey guys, for the guys who say no one should play blades or that’s say they play cb .... how many of you play cb wedges?

>

> If you don’t, why don’t you?

> If you do, where do you get them?

Who’s saying NOBODY should play blades? They just have no benefit for somebody who doesn’t have control over the golf ball. I’ve met a lot of fantastic golfers who use GI and hit high straight balls and hit GIRS all day. I can count on one hand the amount of players I’ve seen that benefit from them.

> @"moko jumby" said:

> if you're a high handicapper why are you even thinking about equipment? it's like ppl who don't know how to code debating whether to use java or C#, it's irrelevant to you because you haven't even learned how to build an HTML table yet. you're trying to min/max an essentially random action, your swing is fundamentally wrong and inconsistent causing you to mishit the ball all the time, it doesn't matter what club you use.

>

> my advice if you're a double digit handicap would be literally don't spend 1 more second thinking about clubs and spend that time learning how the golf swing works. any time you have the urge to come on the equipment forum, stop and go do a shallowing drill in the mirror instead. any time you feel like browsing the callaway preowned site go watch a youtube video on hip rotation in the downswing instead. when your brother buys you a new hybrid for christmas sell it and buy 2 lessons instead.

>

> are AP1s gonna shave 2 strokes off your game compared to MBs? maybe? who cares? you shoot 92 instead of 94? im not trying to belittle bad players or discredit progress, but invest your time learning how to make a fundamentally correct golf swing and you don't have to worry about 92 vs. 94, you'll be shooting in the 70s

Dude, you can’t suggest that high handicaps work on their game, especially in the equipment forum. It’s well known that the typical 18 hdcp on this site is an elite ball striker with a horrendous short game, so they can play any iron they want.

If you suggest that someone take a lesson, some members will get offended, go crying to the mods and threaten to leave the site.

I want to say that I agree with you, but that’s not allowed either. All you can say is ‘play whatever makes you happy’ and move onto the next thread. It doesn’t seem fair, but those are the rules.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @jpdx said:

> > Hey guys, for the guys who say no one should play blades or that’s say they play cb .... how many of you play cb wedges?

> >

> > If you don’t, why don’t you?

> > If you do, where do you get them?

>

> Who’s saying NOBODY should play blades? They just have no benefit for somebody who doesn’t have control over the golf ball. I’ve met a lot of fantastic golfers who use GI and hit high straight balls and hit GIRS all day. I can count on one hand the amount of players I’ve seen that benefit from them.

It’s implied. All the benefits of the cb that is being tossed about, why would ANYONE midcap or not, play anything but cb? I get what you mean though ...so should a midcap who should be playing a gi set, play cb wedges also?

> @jpdx said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @jpdx said:

> > > Hey guys, for the guys who say no one should play blades or that’s say they play cb .... how many of you play cb wedges?

> > >

> > > If you don’t, why don’t you?

> > > If you do, where do you get them?

> >

> > Who’s saying NOBODY should play blades? They just have no benefit for somebody who doesn’t have control over the golf ball. I’ve met a lot of fantastic golfers who use GI and hit high straight balls and hit GIRS all day. I can count on one hand the amount of players I’ve seen that benefit from them.

>

> It’s implied. All the benefits of the cb that is being tossed about, why would ANYONE midcap or not, play anything but cb? I get what you mean though ...so should a midcap who should be playing a gi set, play cb wedges also?

>

... I think even the most ardent defender of CB's GI's and SGI's have no argument with decent ball strikers playing MB's in their short irons. That obviously includes wedges. I have posted this before but I was on staff with Wilson when Payne Stewart was working with Bob Mandrella trying to build and play a set of Forged CB's because he felt like he needed more forgiveness. Yup, one of the best ball strikers in the history of the game wanted more forgiveness. Mandrella kept making CB sets, Payne would play them in a practice round and then replace his short irons with his old MB's. After numerous sets. Bob finally came up with the idea of a split set with MB short irons and CB mid/long irons. So no, it isn't necessary for a decent ball striker that uses CB's to play a CB wedge.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

> @chisag said:

> > @jpdx said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > Hey guys, for the guys who say no one should play blades or that’s say they play cb .... how many of you play cb wedges?

> > > >

> > > > If you don’t, why don’t you?

> > > > If you do, where do you get them?

> > >

> > > Who’s saying NOBODY should play blades? They just have no benefit for somebody who doesn’t have control over the golf ball. I’ve met a lot of fantastic golfers who use GI and hit high straight balls and hit GIRS all day. I can count on one hand the amount of players I’ve seen that benefit from them.

> >

> > It’s implied. All the benefits of the cb that is being tossed about, why would ANYONE midcap or not, play anything but cb? I get what you mean though ...so should a midcap who should be playing a gi set, play cb wedges also?

> >

>

> ... I think even the most ardent defender of CB's GI's and SGI's have no argument with decent ball strikers playing MB's in their short irons. That obviously includes wedges. I have posted this before but I was on staff with Wilson when Payne Stewart was working with Bob Mandrella trying to build and play a set of Forged CB's because he felt like he needed more forgiveness. Yup, one of the best ball strikers in the history of the game wanted more forgiveness. Mandrella kept making CB sets, Payne would play them in a practice round and then replace his short irons with his old MB's. After numerous sets. Bob finally came up with the idea of a split set with MB short irons and CB mid/long irons. So no, it isn't necessary for a decent ball striker that uses CB's to play a CB wedge.

>

But with the benefits continually being tossed around, wouldn’t they be better off with a cb wedge? You know, those quarter inch off center hits.

> @chisag said:

> > @jpdx said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > Hey guys, for the guys who say no one should play blades or that’s say they play cb .... how many of you play cb wedges?

> > > >

> > > > If you don’t, why don’t you?

> > > > If you do, where do you get them?

> > >

> > > Who’s saying NOBODY should play blades? They just have no benefit for somebody who doesn’t have control over the golf ball. I’ve met a lot of fantastic golfers who use GI and hit high straight balls and hit GIRS all day. I can count on one hand the amount of players I’ve seen that benefit from them.

> >

> > It’s implied. All the benefits of the cb that is being tossed about, why would ANYONE midcap or not, play anything but cb? I get what you mean though ...so should a midcap who should be playing a gi set, play cb wedges also?

> >

>

> ... I think even the most ardent defender of CB's GI's and SGI's have no argument with decent ball strikers playing MB's in their short irons. That obviously includes wedges. I have posted this before but I was on staff with Wilson when Payne Stewart was working with Bob Mandrella trying to build and play a set of Forged CB's because he felt like he needed more forgiveness. Yup, one of the best ball strikers in the history of the game wanted more forgiveness. Mandrella kept making CB sets, Payne would play them in a practice round and then replace his short irons with his old MB's. After numerous sets. Bob finally came up with the idea of a split set with MB short irons and CB mid/long irons. So no, it isn't necessary for a decent ball striker that uses CB's to play a CB wedge.

>

Well argued and very accurate. I don't believe there is much drawback in mixing MBs into scoring clubs. That said, drop offs still do occur. If you were watching the BMW today I think it was evident that 17 could eat you up with a miss hit. Lots of water balls today whether it was due to an over cut or a miss hit. In any event, I think combo sets are a great way to go. I'd like to mix MB into my 8-PW eventually. That's as far as I would go.

> @jpdx said:

> > @chisag said:

> > > @jpdx said:

> > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > Hey guys, for the guys who say no one should play blades or that’s say they play cb .... how many of you play cb wedges?

> > > > >

> > > > > If you don’t, why don’t you?

> > > > > If you do, where do you get them?

> > > >

> > > > Who’s saying NOBODY should play blades? They just have no benefit for somebody who doesn’t have control over the golf ball. I’ve met a lot of fantastic golfers who use GI and hit high straight balls and hit GIRS all day. I can count on one hand the amount of players I’ve seen that benefit from them.

> > >

> > > It’s implied. All the benefits of the cb that is being tossed about, why would ANYONE midcap or not, play anything but cb? I get what you mean though ...so should a midcap who should be playing a gi set, play cb wedges also?

> > >

> >

> > ... I think even the most ardent defender of CB's GI's and SGI's have no argument with decent ball strikers playing MB's in their short irons. That obviously includes wedges. I have posted this before but I was on staff with Wilson when Payne Stewart was working with Bob Mandrella trying to build and play a set of Forged CB's because he felt like he needed more forgiveness. Yup, one of the best ball strikers in the history of the game wanted more forgiveness. Mandrella kept making CB sets, Payne would play them in a practice round and then replace his short irons with his old MB's. After numerous sets. Bob finally came up with the idea of a split set with MB short irons and CB mid/long irons. So no, it isn't necessary for a decent ball striker that uses CB's to play a CB wedge.

> >

> But with the benefits continually being tossed around, wouldn’t they be better off with a cb wedge? You know, those quarter inch off center hits.

>

??

Lol. I don’t know of anyone stupid enough to believe that a 1/4” miss with a 56* wedge is the same as with an short, mid, or long iron. Or do I?

> @BiggErn said:

> > @jpdx said:

> > > @chisag said:

> > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > > Hey guys, for the guys who say no one should play blades or that’s say they play cb .... how many of you play cb wedges?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If you don’t, why don’t you?

> > > > > > If you do, where do you get them?

> > > > >

> > > > > Who’s saying NOBODY should play blades? They just have no benefit for somebody who doesn’t have control over the golf ball. I’ve met a lot of fantastic golfers who use GI and hit high straight balls and hit GIRS all day. I can count on one hand the amount of players I’ve seen that benefit from them.

> > > >

> > > > It’s implied. All the benefits of the cb that is being tossed about, why would ANYONE midcap or not, play anything but cb? I get what you mean though ...so should a midcap who should be playing a gi set, play cb wedges also?

> > > >

> > >

> > > ... I think even the most ardent defender of CB's GI's and SGI's have no argument with decent ball strikers playing MB's in their short irons. That obviously includes wedges. I have posted this before but I was on staff with Wilson when Payne Stewart was working with Bob Mandrella trying to build and play a set of Forged CB's because he felt like he needed more forgiveness. Yup, one of the best ball strikers in the history of the game wanted more forgiveness. Mandrella kept making CB sets, Payne would play them in a practice round and then replace his short irons with his old MB's. After numerous sets. Bob finally came up with the idea of a split set with MB short irons and CB mid/long irons. So no, it isn't necessary for a decent ball striker that uses CB's to play a CB wedge.

> > >

> > But with the benefits continually being tossed around, wouldn’t they be better off with a cb wedge? You know, those quarter inch off center hits.

> >

>

> ??

>

> Lol. I don’t know of anyone stupid enough to believe that a 1/4” miss with a 56* wedge is the same as with an short, mid, or long iron. Or do I?

I guess I’m “stupid”. Thanks for keeping it civil...

Why isn’t it the same? I have 90 to carry the water I hit my 56 1/4in off the toe. I end short. I’m in the water. I’m 145 to carry the water. I hit the cb 8i and due to the magic of forgiveness I miss 1/4in and I miraculously carry the water....wouldn’t a cb wedge give me the magic of forgiveness you’ve been touting and I would miraculously carry that 56 over right?

> @jpdx said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @jpdx said:

> > > > @chisag said:

> > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > > > Hey guys, for the guys who say no one should play blades or that’s say they play cb .... how many of you play cb wedges?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > If you don’t, why don’t you?

> > > > > > > If you do, where do you get them?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Who’s saying NOBODY should play blades? They just have no benefit for somebody who doesn’t have control over the golf ball. I’ve met a lot of fantastic golfers who use GI and hit high straight balls and hit GIRS all day. I can count on one hand the amount of players I’ve seen that benefit from them.

> > > > >

> > > > > It’s implied. All the benefits of the cb that is being tossed about, why would ANYONE midcap or not, play anything but cb? I get what you mean though ...so should a midcap who should be playing a gi set, play cb wedges also?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > ... I think even the most ardent defender of CB's GI's and SGI's have no argument with decent ball strikers playing MB's in their short irons. That obviously includes wedges. I have posted this before but I was on staff with Wilson when Payne Stewart was working with Bob Mandrella trying to build and play a set of Forged CB's because he felt like he needed more forgiveness. Yup, one of the best ball strikers in the history of the game wanted more forgiveness. Mandrella kept making CB sets, Payne would play them in a practice round and then replace his short irons with his old MB's. After numerous sets. Bob finally came up with the idea of a split set with MB short irons and CB mid/long irons. So no, it isn't necessary for a decent ball striker that uses CB's to play a CB wedge.

> > > >

> > > But with the benefits continually being tossed around, wouldn’t they be better off with a cb wedge? You know, those quarter inch off center hits.

> > >

> >

> > ??

> >

> > Lol. I don’t know of anyone stupid enough to believe that a 1/4” miss with a 56* wedge is the same as with an short, mid, or long iron. Or do I?

>

> I guess I’m “stupid”. Thanks for keeping it civil...

>

> Why isn’t it the same? I have 90 to carry the water I hit my 56 1/4in off the toe. I end short. I’m in the water. I’m 145 to carry the water. I hit the cb 8i and due to the magic of forgiveness I miss 1/4in and I miraculously carry the water....wouldn’t a cb wedge give me the magic of forgiveness you’ve been touting and I would miraculously carry that 56 over right?

Love this guy ?

> @jpdx said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @jpdx said:

> > > > @chisag said:

> > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > > > Hey guys, for the guys who say no one should play blades or that’s say they play cb .... how many of you play cb wedges?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Who’s saying NOBODY should play blades? They just have no benefit for somebody who doesn’t have control over the golf ball. I’ve met a lot of fantastic golfers who use GI and hit high straight balls and hit GIRS all day. I can count on one hand the amount of players I’ve seen that benefit from them.

> > > > >

> > > > > It’s implied. All the benefits of the cb that is being tossed about, why would ANYONE midcap or not, play anything but cb? I get what you mean though ...so should a midcap who should be playing a gi set, play cb wedges also?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > ... I think even the most ardent defender of CB's GI's and SGI's have no argument with decent ball strikers playing MB's in their short irons. That obviously includes wedges. I have posted this before but I was on staff with Wilson when Payne Stewart was working with Bob Mandrella trying to build and play a set of Forged CB's because he felt like he needed more forgiveness. Yup, one of the best ball strikers in the history of the game wanted more forgiveness. Mandrella kept making CB sets, Payne would play them in a practice round and then replace his short irons with his old MB's. After numerous sets. Bob finally came up with the idea of a split set with MB short irons and CB mid/long irons. So no, it isn't necessary for a decent ball striker that uses CB's to play a CB wedge.

> > > >

> > > But with the benefits continually being tossed around, wouldn’t they be better off with a cb wedge? You know, those quarter inch off center hits.

> > >

> >

> > ??

> >

> > Lol. I don’t know of anyone stupid enough to believe that a 1/4” miss with a 56* wedge is the same as with an short, mid, or long iron. Or do I?

>

>

> Why isn’t it the same? I have 90 to carry the water I hit my 56 1/4in off the toe. I end short. I’m in the water. I’m 145 to carry the water. I hit the cb 8i and due to the magic of forgiveness I miss 1/4in and I miraculously carry the water....wouldn’t a cb wedge give me the magic of forgiveness you’ve been touting and I would miraculously carry that 56 over right?

Maybe. Forgiveness is more paramount the longer the club. 1/4” off the toe with a 56* wedge may only be a couple yards short if that. With an MB 8 iron it may be 5+ yards. With a 5 iron it may be 10+ yards. There’s also not much of a market for CB wedges due to the fact more loft requires less forgiveness. However there is a huge market for long iron replacements due to the need for forgiveness.

> @arobbins3 said:

> All I know is that I think there is a substantial "myth" in terms of amateurs not being able to play blades or benefitting from them. I respectfully disagree. I am gaming the Cobra CB/MB combos and my game has never been better. Since I have been using those irons, my handicap has dropped from 4.9 to 3.2 - AND I've shot my very first two rounds under par. Yes, they aren't as "long" as other irons or not as forgiving. But, they are much, much, much more consistent than anything I've played and I'm a club junkie. I've played so many sets of irons over the last two years (favorites being P-750s). What I like the most about them is that I'm never surprised by them. When it's pure, it goes the exact same distance every time. When it's not pure, it's always short of target, NEVER long. I don't want to have to worry about hitting an iron over the green if it's mishit. Just my two cents! I am not biased and I think anyone should play with what they WANT to play with.

I'm not talking about a shovel vs. a blade which it seems some on here are. I'm talking about a very compact players CB vs MB. No increased chance of fliers but more consistent ball speed across the face. As said earlier, Titleist CB vs MB - long irons there is benefit every single day of the week for almost every player (pros included) to be playing the CB. My CBs are just as workable and consistent as the MB with a good amount more miss hit protection.

> @arobbins3 said:

> All I know is that I think there is a substantial "myth" in terms of amateurs not being able to play blades or benefitting from them. I respectfully disagree. I am gaming the Cobra CB/MB combos and my game has never been better. Since I have been using those irons, my handicap has dropped from 4.9 to 3.2 - AND I've shot my very first two rounds under par. Yes, they aren't as "long" as other irons or not as forgiving. But, they are much, much, much more consistent than anything I've played and I'm a club junkie. I've played so many sets of irons over the last two years (favorites being P-750s). What I like the most about them is that I'm never surprised by them. When it's pure, it goes the exact same distance every time. When it's not pure, it's always short of target, NEVER long. I don't want to have to worry about hitting an iron over the green if it's mishit. Just my two cents! I am not biased and I think anyone should play with what they WANT to play with.

You're not a mid-hdcp player. You do things a mid-cap cannot do.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @jpdx said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > @chisag said:

> > > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > > > > Hey guys, for the guys who say no one should play blades or that’s say they play cb .... how many of you play cb wedges?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > If you don’t, why don’t you?

> > > > > > > > If you do, where do you get them?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Who’s saying NOBODY should play blades? They just have no benefit for somebody who doesn’t have control over the golf ball. I’ve met a lot of fantastic golfers who use GI and hit high straight balls and hit GIRS all day. I can count on one hand the amount of players I’ve seen that benefit from them.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It’s implied. All the benefits of the cb that is being tossed about, why would ANYONE midcap or not, play anything but cb? I get what you mean though ...so should a midcap who should be playing a gi set, play cb wedges also?

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > ... I think even the most ardent defender of CB's GI's and SGI's have no argument with decent ball strikers playing MB's in their short irons. That obviously includes wedges. I have posted this before but I was on staff with Wilson when Payne Stewart was working with Bob Mandrella trying to build and play a set of Forged CB's because he felt like he needed more forgiveness. Yup, one of the best ball strikers in the history of the game wanted more forgiveness. Mandrella kept making CB sets, Payne would play them in a practice round and then replace his short irons with his old MB's. After numerous sets. Bob finally came up with the idea of a split set with MB short irons and CB mid/long irons. So no, it isn't necessary for a decent ball striker that uses CB's to play a CB wedge.

> > > > >

> > > > But with the benefits continually being tossed around, wouldn’t they be better off with a cb wedge? You know, those quarter inch off center hits.

> > > >

> > >

> > > ??

> > >

> > > Lol. I don’t know of anyone stupid enough to believe that a 1/4” miss with a 56* wedge is the same as with an short, mid, or long iron. Or do I?

> >

> > I guess I’m “stupid”. Thanks for keeping it civil...

> >

> > Why isn’t it the same? I have 90 to carry the water I hit my 56 1/4in off the toe. I end short. I’m in the water. I’m 145 to carry the water. I hit the cb 8i and due to the magic of forgiveness I miss 1/4in and I miraculously carry the water....wouldn’t a cb wedge give me the magic of forgiveness you’ve been touting and I would miraculously carry that 56 over right?

>

> Maybe. Forgiveness is more paramount the longer the club. 1/4” off the toe with a 56* wedge may only be a couple yards short if that. With an MB 8 iron it may be 5+ yards. With a 5 iron it may be 10+ yards. There’s also not much of a market for CB wedges due to the fact more loft requires less forgiveness. However there is a huge market for long iron replacements due to the need for forgiveness.

Couple yards short is still in the water @BiggErn . If the carry is exactly 90. Even a millimeter short, it’s in the water. Why wouldn’t you want cb wedges in your bag? After all, short is short right?

I don’t really care that there is more or less of a market for cb wedges, or mid or long irons as it’s irrelevant to whether one should bag a cb or blade club. If one to follow your line of posts that cb’s are more forgiving, why don’t we all bag cb wedges? After all, Every incremental increase in forgiveness - whether it’s is only a yard difference or 10+ On a mishit - can only help us amateurs.

Edit: and there’s nothing wrong with bagging a cb wedge if you want. You do you.

So I am 69, still hitting hard. Have a bit of wrist issues and golfer's elbow, nothing a better swing would not cure.

I was advised to get GI or SGI clubs with light senior or reg graphite. I did. G25s with reg graphite. Felt light as a paper straw. Played all this year. HC went from 11 to 16.4. Approach shots all over the place. Loved the clubs, not the control.

Played a friend's i5 irons and shot great. Ordered a a set with stiff steel. Let's see what happens.

Stiff heavier clubs actually relax my swing and me. Instead of whipping the club, I let the club do its work. Wr will see what my wrist says.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

> @jpdx said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @jpdx said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > > @chisag said:

> > > > > > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > > > > > Hey guys, for the guys who say no one should play blades or that’s say they play cb .... how many of you play cb wedges?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > If you don’t, why don’t you?

> > > > > > > > > If you do, where do you get them?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Who’s saying NOBODY should play blades? They just have no benefit for somebody who doesn’t have control over the golf ball. I’ve met a lot of fantastic golfers who use GI and hit high straight balls and hit GIRS all day. I can count on one hand the amount of players I’ve seen that benefit from them.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It’s implied. All the benefits of the cb that is being tossed about, why would ANYONE midcap or not, play anything but cb? I get what you mean though ...so should a midcap who should be playing a gi set, play cb wedges also?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > ... I think even the most ardent defender of CB's GI's and SGI's have no argument with decent ball strikers playing MB's in their short irons. That obviously includes wedges. I have posted this before but I was on staff with Wilson when Payne Stewart was working with Bob Mandrella trying to build and play a set of Forged CB's because he felt like he needed more forgiveness. Yup, one of the best ball strikers in the history of the game wanted more forgiveness. Mandrella kept making CB sets, Payne would play them in a practice round and then replace his short irons with his old MB's. After numerous sets. Bob finally came up with the idea of a split set with MB short irons and CB mid/long irons. So no, it isn't necessary for a decent ball striker that uses CB's to play a CB wedge.

> > > > > >

> > > > > But with the benefits continually being tossed around, wouldn’t they be better off with a cb wedge? You know, those quarter inch off center hits.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > ??

> > > >

> > > > Lol. I don’t know of anyone stupid enough to believe that a 1/4” miss with a 56* wedge is the same as with an short, mid, or long iron. Or do I?

> > >

> > > I guess I’m “stupid”. Thanks for keeping it civil...

> > >

> > > Why isn’t it the same? I have 90 to carry the water I hit my 56 1/4in off the toe. I end short. I’m in the water. I’m 145 to carry the water. I hit the cb 8i and due to the magic of forgiveness I miss 1/4in and I miraculously carry the water....wouldn’t a cb wedge give me the magic of forgiveness you’ve been touting and I would miraculously carry that 56 over right?

> >

> > Maybe. Forgiveness is more paramount the longer the club. 1/4” off the toe with a 56* wedge may only be a couple yards short if that. With an MB 8 iron it may be 5+ yards. With a 5 iron it may be 10+ yards. There’s also not much of a market for CB wedges due to the fact more loft requires less forgiveness. However there is a huge market for long iron replacements due to the need for forgiveness.

>

> Couple yards short is still in the water @BiggErn . If the carry is exactly 90. Even a millimeter short, it’s in the water. Why wouldn’t you want cb wedges in your bag? After all, short is short right?

>

> I don’t really care that there is more or less of a market for cb wedges, or mid or long irons as it’s irrelevant to whether one should bag a cb or blade club. If one to follow your line of posts that cb’s are more forgiving, why don’t we all bag cb wedges? After all, Every incremental increase in forgiveness - whether it’s is only a yard difference or 10+ On a mishit - can only help us amateurs.

>

> Edit: and there’s nothing wrong with bagging a cb wedge if you want. You do you.

Lol. Well if you play a course where a pin is literally right up against the water be sure to take a calculated risk. It’s always some irrational bs comparison that guys come up with to try and justify using MBs. Here’s the thing, if you don’t hit virtually EVERY shot dead on the button solid there is no benefit to playing them. That’s no bs comparison that is an undeniable fact.

> @dciccoritti said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > I'm talking about a very compact players CB vs MB. No increased chance of fliers but more consistent ball speed across the face.

>

> You got that backwards.

What on earth. Please tell me you're trying to say that ball speed is more consistent on off centre hits with an MB vs a CB. This thread is so broken. Play blades if you want because you like them, just don't spew fallacies.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @jpdx said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > > > @chisag said:

> > > > > > > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > > > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > > > > > > Hey guys, for the guys who say no one should play blades or that’s say they play cb .... how many of you play cb wedges?

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > If you don’t, why don’t you?

> > > > > > > > > > If you do, where do you get them?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Who’s saying NOBODY should play blades? They just have no benefit for somebody who doesn’t have control over the golf ball. I’ve met a lot of fantastic golfers who use GI and hit high straight balls and hit GIRS all day. I can count on one hand the amount of players I’ve seen that benefit from them.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It’s implied. All the benefits of the cb that is being tossed about, why would ANYONE midcap or not, play anything but cb? I get what you mean though ...so should a midcap who should be playing a gi set, play cb wedges also?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > ... I think even the most ardent defender of CB's GI's and SGI's have no argument with decent ball strikers playing MB's in their short irons. That obviously includes wedges. I have posted this before but I was on staff with Wilson when Payne Stewart was working with Bob Mandrella trying to build and play a set of Forged CB's because he felt like he needed more forgiveness. Yup, one of the best ball strikers in the history of the game wanted more forgiveness. Mandrella kept making CB sets, Payne would play them in a practice round and then replace his short irons with his old MB's. After numerous sets. Bob finally came up with the idea of a split set with MB short irons and CB mid/long irons. So no, it isn't necessary for a decent ball striker that uses CB's to play a CB wedge.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > But with the benefits continually being tossed around, wouldn’t they be better off with a cb wedge? You know, those quarter inch off center hits.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > ??

> > > > >

> > > > > Lol. I don’t know of anyone stupid enough to believe that a 1/4” miss with a 56* wedge is the same as with an short, mid, or long iron. Or do I?

> > > >

> > > > I guess I’m “stupid”. Thanks for keeping it civil...

> > > >

> > > > Why isn’t it the same? I have 90 to carry the water I hit my 56 1/4in off the toe. I end short. I’m in the water. I’m 145 to carry the water. I hit the cb 8i and due to the magic of forgiveness I miss 1/4in and I miraculously carry the water....wouldn’t a cb wedge give me the magic of forgiveness you’ve been touting and I would miraculously carry that 56 over right?

> > >

> > > Maybe. Forgiveness is more paramount the longer the club. 1/4” off the toe with a 56* wedge may only be a couple yards short if that. With an MB 8 iron it may be 5+ yards. With a 5 iron it may be 10+ yards. There’s also not much of a market for CB wedges due to the fact more loft requires less forgiveness. However there is a huge market for long iron replacements due to the need for forgiveness.

> >

> > Couple yards short is still in the water @BiggErn . If the carry is exactly 90. Even a millimeter short, it’s in the water. Why wouldn’t you want cb wedges in your bag? After all, short is short right?

> >

> > I don’t really care that there is more or less of a market for cb wedges, or mid or long irons as it’s irrelevant to whether one should bag a cb or blade club. If one to follow your line of posts that cb’s are more forgiving, why don’t we all bag cb wedges? After all, Every incremental increase in forgiveness - whether it’s is only a yard difference or 10+ On a mishit - can only help us amateurs.

> >

> > Edit: and there’s nothing wrong with bagging a cb wedge if you want. You do you.

>

> Lol. Well if you play a course where a pin is literally right up against the water be sure to take a calculated risk. It’s always some irrational bs comparison that guys come up with to try and justify using MBs. Here’s the thing, if you don’t hit virtually EVERY shot dead on the button solid there is no benefit to playing them. That’s no bs comparison that is an undeniable fact.

I never mentioned a pin did I? Simply a carry distance was all I was talking about.

So do you play cb wedges? Because I’m sure there’s a carry over water at wedge distance some where you’ve played.

> @BiggErn said:

> Here’s the thing, if you don’t hit virtually EVERY shot dead on the button solid there is no benefit to playing them. That’s no bs comparison that is an undeniable fact.

Wrong. Just a preconceived delusional perspective that is not even remotely based in reality.

Here's Coach Lockey testing the new G410's. Toe strike shows a loss of almost 20 yards with a so called 7 iron.

Ball speed all over the place with a variance of 8mph. What a joke :-)

Dan was more consistent though yet still had a 7 yard variance. How could that be with an SGI of all things? Even he had a 5 mph variance in ball speed. Should I post a video of Dan and Mark's ball speed and carry variance testing a 718 MB? Of course not. That would be completely wasted on you and some others because this is not really a discussion is it? Just a thread where 'some' troll and spin their preconceived notions. Like I've always said, play what you like but don't tell me what I'm gaining or losing due to my choice in equipment. I play blades and that's why I'm here. You won't find me trolling in a P790 thread preaching what they're gaining or losing playing hollow body irons.

I'll post the video for the lurkers and the open minded.

> @jpdx said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @jpdx said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > > > @chisag said:

> > > > > > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > > > > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > > > > > > > Hey guys, for the guys who say no one should play blades or that’s say they play cb .... how many of you play cb wedges?

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > If you don’t, why don’t you?

> > > > > > > > > > > If you do, where do you get them?

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Who’s saying NOBODY should play blades? They just have no benefit for somebody who doesn’t have control over the golf ball. I’ve met a lot of fantastic golfers who use GI and hit high straight balls and hit GIRS all day. I can count on one hand the amount of players I’ve seen that benefit from them.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > It’s implied. All the benefits of the cb that is being tossed about, why would ANYONE midcap or not, play anything but cb? I get what you mean though ...so should a midcap who should be playing a gi set, play cb wedges also?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > ... I think even the most ardent defender of CB's GI's and SGI's have no argument with decent ball strikers playing MB's in their short irons. That obviously includes wedges. I have posted this before but I was on staff with Wilson when Payne Stewart was working with Bob Mandrella trying to build and play a set of Forged CB's because he felt like he needed more forgiveness. Yup, one of the best ball strikers in the history of the game wanted more forgiveness. Mandrella kept making CB sets, Payne would play them in a practice round and then replace his short irons with his old MB's. After numerous sets. Bob finally came up with the idea of a split set with MB short irons and CB mid/long irons. So no, it isn't necessary for a decent ball striker that uses CB's to play a CB wedge.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > But with the benefits continually being tossed around, wouldn’t they be better off with a cb wedge? You know, those quarter inch off center hits.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > ??

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Lol. I don’t know of anyone stupid enough to believe that a 1/4” miss with a 56* wedge is the same as with an short, mid, or long iron. Or do I?

> > > > >

> > > > > I guess I’m “stupid”. Thanks for keeping it civil...

> > > > >

> > > > > Why isn’t it the same? I have 90 to carry the water I hit my 56 1/4in off the toe. I end short. I’m in the water. I’m 145 to carry the water. I hit the cb 8i and due to the magic of forgiveness I miss 1/4in and I miraculously carry the water....wouldn’t a cb wedge give me the magic of forgiveness you’ve been touting and I would miraculously carry that 56 over right?

> > > >

> > > > Maybe. Forgiveness is more paramount the longer the club. 1/4” off the toe with a 56* wedge may only be a couple yards short if that. With an MB 8 iron it may be 5+ yards. With a 5 iron it may be 10+ yards. There’s also not much of a market for CB wedges due to the fact more loft requires less forgiveness. However there is a huge market for long iron replacements due to the need for forgiveness.

> > >

> > > Couple yards short is still in the water @BiggErn . If the carry is exactly 90. Even a millimeter short, it’s in the water. Why wouldn’t you want cb wedges in your bag? After all, short is short right?

> > >

> > > I don’t really care that there is more or less of a market for cb wedges, or mid or long irons as it’s irrelevant to whether one should bag a cb or blade club. If one to follow your line of posts that cb’s are more forgiving, why don’t we all bag cb wedges? After all, Every incremental increase in forgiveness - whether it’s is only a yard difference or 10+ On a mishit - can only help us amateurs.

> > >

> > > Edit: and there’s nothing wrong with bagging a cb wedge if you want. You do you.

> >

> > Lol. Well if you play a course where a pin is literally right up against the water be sure to take a calculated risk. It’s always some irrational bs comparison that guys come up with to try and justify using MBs. Here’s the thing, if you don’t hit virtually EVERY shot dead on the button solid there is no benefit to playing them. That’s no bs comparison that is an undeniable fact.

>

> I never mentioned a pin did I? Simply a carry distance was all I was talking about.

>

> So do you play cb wedges? Because I’m sure there’s a carry over water at wedge distance some where you’ve played.

You’re assuming something I don’t have an issue with. I don’t need forgiveness with a wedge. If I’m hitting to a 90 yard pin that requires an 80 yard carry to clear water I don’t even worry with it. Your comparisons and weak argument is laughable.

Forgiveness is only half the equation when looking at blades vs GI irons. If ball striking is consistent, the second question is trajectory. Pro's talk about hitting through a desired "window", which is another way of saying "do I hit this too high or too low"? In a blade, the CG location is invariably higher than a GI cavity back. You can check this by taking a look at measured vertical center of gravity (VCOG) (reference Maltby's Playability Factor ratings). Maltby counts a relatively high VCOG as a bad thing, but it really comes down to how you hit the ball. Anything under .8 is easier to elevate and anything above .8 is going to provide a lower flight and more "control". If you hit a high ball with a consistent strike, blades are perfect. If you hit a low ball, even with a consistent strike, blades will do you no favors when trying to hold a green and maximize carry. Roll out with an 8 iron doesn't do anyone any good. This is why combo sets work well for many. Lower CG, higher MOI cavity backs in the long irons for forgiveness AND higher trajectory to hit the desired "window". Higher CG, lower MOI blades in the short irons for control and lower trajectory.

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

> @balls_deep said:

> > @dciccoritti said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > I'm talking about a very compact players CB vs MB. No increased chance of fliers but more consistent ball speed across the face.

> >

> > You got that backwards.

>

> What on earth. Please tell me you're trying to say that ball speed is more consistent on off centre hits with an MB vs a CB. This thread is so broken. Play blades if you want because you like them, just don't spew fallacies.

Fallacies it what keeps them going.

Maybe the comparisons are weak, and the argument as well...

but you still can’t answer the question.

Again, do you play cb wedges?

They are more forgiving as you say....perhaps you hit them dead on the button every time? If you don’t, then maybe your game will be helped - improved - by cb wedges since all cb’s are more forgiving. So which is it?

> @jpdx said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @jpdx said:

> > > > @chisag said:

> > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > ??

> >

>

>

Why did you change the 1/4" off to suit your narrative? You go from 1/4" off the toe to say you're going to be short and in the water, to 1/4" miss (assuming off of middle) with a cb and being fine... Sorry for calling you out, well, no I'm not sorry...

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

> @gwelfgulfer said:

> > @jpdx said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > @chisag said:

> > > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > > > > Hey guys, for the guys who say no one should play blades or that’s say they play cb .... how many of you play cb wedges?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > If you don’t, why don’t you?

> > > > > > > > If you do, where do you get them?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Who’s saying NOBODY should play blades? They just have no benefit for somebody who doesn’t have control over the golf ball. I’ve met a lot of fantastic golfers who use GI and hit high straight balls and hit GIRS all day. I can count on one hand the amount of players I’ve seen that benefit from them.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It’s implied. All the benefits of the cb that is being tossed about, why would ANYONE midcap or not, play anything but cb? I get what you mean though ...so should a midcap who should be playing a gi set, play cb wedges also?

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > ... I think even the most ardent defender of CB's GI's and SGI's have no argument with decent ball strikers playing MB's in their short irons. That obviously includes wedges. I have posted this before but I was on staff with Wilson when Payne Stewart was working with Bob Mandrella trying to build and play a set of Forged CB's because he felt like he needed more forgiveness. Yup, one of the best ball strikers in the history of the game wanted more forgiveness. Mandrella kept making CB sets, Payne would play them in a practice round and then replace his short irons with his old MB's. After numerous sets. Bob finally came up with the idea of a split set with MB short irons and CB mid/long irons. So no, it isn't necessary for a decent ball striker that uses CB's to play a CB wedge.

> > > > >

> > > > But with the benefits continually being tossed around, wouldn’t they be better off with a cb wedge? You know, those quarter inch off center hits.

> > > >

> > >

> > > ??

> > >

> > > Lol. I don’t know of anyone stupid enough to believe that a 1/4” miss with a 56* wedge is the same as with an short, mid, or long iron. Or do I?

> >

> > I guess I’m “stupid”. Thanks for keeping it civil...

> >

> > Why isn’t it the same? I have 90 to carry the water I hit my 56 1/4in off the toe. I end short. I’m in the water. I’m 145 to carry the water. I hit the cb 8i and due to the magic of forgiveness I miss 1/4in and I miraculously carry the water....wouldn’t a cb wedge give me the magic of forgiveness you’ve been touting and I would miraculously carry that 56 over right?

>

> Why did you change the 1/4" off to suit your narrative? You go from 1/4" off the toe to say you're going to be short and in the water, to 1/4" miss (assuming off of middle) with a cb and being fine... Sorry for calling you out, well, no I'm not sorry...

No apologies necessary. But thanks for pointing it out. I didn’t notice that and was unintentional. My thought was that it was the same miss on the club face - to the toe. My apologies.

For my own knowledge though, would that make a difference because I genuinely don’t know.

My knowledge is limited in golf and I’d like to understand to get better. I can only draw from my own experiences. And my experiences say I play better with Some blades in the bag.

Edited for auto correct.

> @jpdx said:

> Maybe the comparisons are weak, and the argument as well...

>

> but you still can’t answer the question.

>

> Again, do you play cb wedges?

>

> They are more forgiving as you say....perhaps you hit them dead on the button every time? If you don’t, then maybe your game will be helped - improved - by cb wedges since all cb’s are more forgiving. So which is it?

>

You’re really reaching to try and make an argument. I would have no issue playing a CB wedge if more were available even though forgiveness with a high lofted club is pretty much moot. I’m not a double digit HC playing blades though.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @jpdx said:

> > Maybe the comparisons are weak, and the argument as well...

> >

> > but you still can’t answer the question.

> >

> > Again, do you play cb wedges?

> >

> > They are more forgiving as you say....perhaps you hit them dead on the button every time? If you don’t, then maybe your game will be helped - improved - by cb wedges since all cb’s are more forgiving. So which is it?

> >

>

> You’re really reaching to try and make an argument. I would have no issue playing a CB wedge if more were available even though forgiveness with a high lofted club is pretty much moot. I’m not a double digit HC playing blades though.

I’m in the combo camp at the moment Tbh, because of this thread. I put only the vapor fly pros in my bag. Scored poorly. Played my best round ever when I decided to go combo with the vfp and Vp. And my hdcp has gone down. It works for me.

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> @Nard_S interesting comments. So what are your top three sets that work? Thanks

>

>

The Maruman Conductor Pro SX or CX 41 with S400 shafts, best of the bunch. Ideal trajectory and bias (fade), sole grind has 4 way cambering. Long, accurate & perfect weight.

Spec'd 5 grams apart. 90's vintage Maru's are stellar and were made by Miura.

1999 Hogan Apex w/ FM #4 shafts. Great club, highly intuitive but I'm always 5 long and 5 left on great pass, had them in bag for 4 years. Great ambassador of MB's period.

Titles 681's w/ Rifle X shafts. Super heavy & plus 1/2" so they could use a shortening. Very long, accurate & quite forgiving on thin shots. The dowels rock. Best #4i ever used. Spec'd 3-4 grams apart.

1994 Hogan Fort Worth's: Rival the Maruman's in goodness, not as easy to hit as either the 99's or CP though. Redlines get love, but these really goose me.

Greg Norman Signatures: Best & worst of bladedom. The crystal meth of MB. Mine have tipped 1/2" S300's, which is not ideal for me. The SW is flat out best I ever used. They are spec'd 4 grams apart and stout but not super heavy. Don White in his glory.

I have maybe 3-4 others that if they were shafted and weighted up to desire could easily be happy with. VR Pro's are excellent but have parallel shafts (like ketchup on filet mignon).TM RAC MB, as forgiving as any CB made but with a true forged sweet spot (do not like Rifle Flighted though). Wilson FG 59 is great but the stock SL DG shaft does not do it justice. Have TP2000's, (TN 87 with satin finish), nice head but DG S100 shaft? Nada.

I have Brunswick FM's and Nippon Super Peening Blue's waiting to rectify the lesser's. May try Shimada's, $Tapers, Modus (125/130) & Project X. Dowels are mandatory on any build and so is 65g of grip (corded TW w/ 4 stepped layers of tape). Highly partial to DG S400 though. Ho'ing taught me much of the what and the why of me liking an iron. My attention now is on shafts and weighting.