2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

My Experience Gaming Blades as a Mid-High Handicapper

Andus

Use whatever coping mechanism you need.

and you as well sir.

Don’t need one. I live in a rational universe.

i like your rationale, your not coping, just the rest of the world is in their decision making.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Ping G430 #3 hybrid with RDX red 80 

Srixon ZX MK 11 #3 Utility iron 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges... TBD

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

Working the ball, to me, is a tee shot concept. Rarely do I need more than a straight iron shot. I play draws and fades off the tee on dogleg holes.

Sure, I can hit a low hook out of the trees, etc. however, that can be done with any iron or hybrid in my experience.

Titleist tsi2 10 tensei blue raw R
Titleist tsi2 16.5 tensei blue raw R
Titleist 816 h1 17/21/25 Diamana red 60 S
Mizuno 6-P JPX 921 HMP recoil 95 f3
Mizuno t20 46/52/58 recoil 95 f3
Mizuno mcraft iii 
Titleist Pro V1x 

and you as well sir.

Don’t need one. I live in a rational universe.

Look, I’m not trying to convince you about blades and GIs here, and it’s an orthogonal topic, but you can’t just compare the number on your iron and the distance.

Maybe your 7 iron is easier to hit than my 6, but you can’t just say that one 7 goes 10 yards longer than another 7 iron so it’s more forgiving.

We can’t agree on a lot of things but comparing different lofted clubs by distance makes a lot less sense than asking “how accurate are you with the equivalent 170 yard club.”

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD -  Autoflex SF505X

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Srixon ZX Utility -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

4 Hybrid: Titelist TSi2 - Kuro Kage 60s

PW-5:  Titelist T150 - Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Wedges: Titelist SM9 50,55,60  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Putter: Evnroll ER2

This is why I'm not spending a lot of time looking for a specific video. Just go to Youtube and watch. A guy hits a MB 7 iron 152,160,173 and an AP1 162,162,160. That's a difference maker to me. The ball may be offline with both clubs, but at least you are pin high and offline and not 10 yards short or long also.

No, you just hit with your 6-iron which has the same loft as that 7. And the advantage is that you don't have gapping issues between your wedge and PW, which I had with my old callaway XRs. Don't confuse lofts and distance with accuracy.

JFC - you've gone to a strawman argument he is not making. Put on your glasses or work on your reading comprehension and try again.

He's quite clearly saying there is a chunk result - regular result - thinned liner result with the MB getting you crap dispersion of 20yds, where as with the GI iron the 3 swings are getting roughly the same yardage results.

You can argue about the severity of the example, but what your banging on about you've just pulled out of thin air from the golf club cliche collection and doesn't address his post in the least.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

and you as well sir.

Dont need one. I live in a rational universe.

Look, Im not trying to convince you about blades and GIs here, and its an orthogonal topic, but you cant just compare the number on your iron and the distance.

Maybe your 7 iron is easier to hit than my 6, but you cant just say that one 7 goes 10 yards longer than another 7 iron so its more forgiving.

We cant agree on a lot of things but comparing different lofted clubs by distance makes a lot less sense than asking how accurate are you with the equivalent 170 yard club.

Who said we were? Jacked lofts or not is another totally completely irrelevant subject.

Working the ball, to me, is a tee shot concept. Rarely do I need more than a straight iron shot. I play draws and fades off the tee on dogleg holes.

Sure, I can hit a low hook out of the trees, etc. however, that can be done with any iron or hybrid in my experience.

My much younger cousin is a scratch player with a swing that reminds most that see him of McIlroy. He plays with Callaway XRs and I've often watched people tell him, "You should be playing with blades". A friend of his dad is so impressed, he has a standing offer to buy him any set of blades he wants. To which he just shrugs and says he likes his clubs.

Once, during one of our many rounds, I asked him why he didn't want more workable clubs and he said, "There's nothing wrong with straight." He echoed what you said in the sense that he felt he really only needed to shape shots off the tee when playing from the tips. For irons, he only cared about high or low, which he handled by lofting or delofting, and could think of maybe only 2 times when he could only get out of jail with sideways movement. He's very creative in figuring out how to solve situations with "over" or "under" and avoiding "around". So he plays what he feels will give him the straightest shot every single time which, for him, is the shovel.

We only see each other and play now maybe once a year but I never cease to marvel at his laser straight irons and the simplicity of his philosophy of the game. Anyway, seeing your post reminded me of him.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

We should have a contest to see who can quote the longest post...

i like that idea, however the post then must finish in... "play what you want, i don't care"

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Wedges... TBD

Pro V1 

i like that idea, however the post then must finish in... "play what you want, i don't care"

Or it could end in "So what if I lost the receipt. I want to return the driver for the full price I paid for it and I will get it from any store I can. So long as *I* don't lose the $$$ I don't care".

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Or it could end in "So what if I lost the receipt. I want to return the driver for the full price I paid for it and I will get it from any store I can. So long as *I* don't lose the $$$ I don't care".

yeah for sure we could do that, but i think its been done... we are looking for originality bud.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Wedges... TBD

Pro V1 

My much younger cousin is a scratch player with a swing that reminds most that see him of McIlroy. He plays with Callaway XRs and I've often watched people tell him, "You should be playing with blades". A friend of his dad is so impressed, he has a standing offer to buy him any set of blades he wants. To which he just shrugs and says he likes his clubs.

Once, during one of our many rounds, I asked him why he didn't want more workable clubs and he said, "There's nothing wrong with straight." He echoed what you said in the sense that he felt he really only needed to shape shots off the tee when playing from the tips. For irons, he only cared about high or low, which he handled by lofting or delofting, and could think of maybe only 2 times when he could only get out of jail with sideways movement. He's very creative in figuring out how to solve situations with "over" or "under" and avoiding "around". So he plays what he feels will give him the straightest shot every single time which, for him, is the shovel.

We only see each other and play now maybe once a year but I never cease to marvel at his laser straight irons and the simplicity of his philosophy of the game. Anyway, seeing your post reminded me of him.

You do realize that its the golfer who squares the face angle to its path and that is what creates the straight shot and not the club right? So if your friend hits the ball with an open or closed face to path that it won't actually go straight. That applies to shovels as well as blades and everything in between because regardless of design, the player must be consistent with the strike to get consistent results. I would give more credit to your friends ball striking and less to the XR iron.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Wedges... TBD

Pro V1 

Didn't realize this was the thread of the day on Thurs! Congrats to Andus!

http://www.golfwrx.c..._content=unused

i certainly appreciate that he shared his story with us. its a tough crowd to please here though, especially when what your saying doesn't align with what the CB boys believe in.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Wedges... TBD

Pro V1 

You do realize that its the golfer who squares the face angle to its path and that is what creates the straight shot and not the club right? So if your friend hits the ball with an open or closed face to path that it won't actually go straight. That applies to shovels as well as blades and everything in between because regardless of design, the player must be consistent with the strike to get consistent results. I would give more credit to your friends ball striking and less to the XR iron.

You do realize that the very same face to path angle with a blade will result in more curvature than the same face to path angle with the GI, don't you ?

Titleist Pro V1X

yeah for sure we could do that, but i think its been done... we are looking for originality bud.

Ahhhh, my bad.

You're shopping that driver until you got price paid for it certainly was original. I'd never heard of anyone doing that before, nor even thinking about doing it.

So congrats on you originality !!! :clapping:

Titleist Pro V1X

Thanks NSXGUY!! by the way i am still waiting on that invite to go golfing next time i am in Florida... will be visiting again this year. Say Oct/Nov timeline

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Wedges... TBD

Pro V1 

Thanks NSXGUY!! by the way i am still waiting on that invite to go golfing next time i am in Florida... will be visiting again this year. Say Oct/Nov timeline

I'll keep my schedule open,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :rolleyes:

Titleist Pro V1X

streamsong?

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Wedges... TBD

Pro V1 

streamsong?

Don't know it. Who sang it ? :cheesy:

Titleist Pro V1X

You do realize that the very same face to path angle with a blade will result in more curvature than the same face to path angle with the GI, don't you ?

so you are saying that a path that is out to in with an open face will have more spin with a blade and in turn have a better chance to get back to the target than the CB? so in essence the Blade is more forgiving? At least more accurate right.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Wedges... TBD

Pro V1 

streamsong?

ok... i won't pick something as upscale as that so we can play your 20 dollar muni... i'm cool with that. I'm all about being around great folks... the golf is really secondary.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Wedges... TBD

Pro V1 

so you are saying that a path that is out to in with an open face will have more spin with a blade and in turn have a better chance to get back to the target than the CB? so in essence the Blade is more forgiving? At least more accurate right.

Or go further AWAY from the target; i.e. LESS "accurate".

Titleist Pro V1X

streamsong?

ok... i won't pick something as upscale as that so we can play your 20 dollar muni... i'm cool with that. I'm all about being around great folks... the golf is really secondary.

How long can you hold your breath ? ;)

(OK, I'm done with this now - you get the last word so the thread can go on,,,,,,,,,,,,)

brat-holding-breath.jpg

Titleist Pro V1X

i think the difference is subtle and the blade would be more accurate as the CB would just go straight to path every time right.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Wedges... TBD

Pro V1 

i think the difference is subtle and the blade would be more accurate as the CB would just go straight to path every time right.

You're entitled to your opinion.

Titleist Pro V1X

i would say we both are however being a guy who played blades last year i feel like i am more the authority in this area. :miz:

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Wedges... TBD

Pro V1 

i would say we both are however being a guy who played blades last year i feel like i am more the authority in this area. :miz:

So I guess that since I've been playing CBs for a lot longer I'd say I am more the authority in this area.

I pick up a blade every 5th time I hit into the LM, just for giggles,,,,,,,,,, and it works every time,,,,,,,, always makes me giggle. :)

Titleist Pro V1X

So I guess that since I've been playing CBs for a lot longer I'd say I am more the authority in this area.

I pick up a blade every 5th time I hit into the LM, just for giggles,,,,,,,,,, and it works every time,,,,,,,, always makes me giggle. :)

i would disagree as i have gamed CB's up until the start of last year. So both are fresh in my mind. Picking up a blade every so often in a sim isn't anywhere near the same as standing over the ball on a long par 3 with a 4 iron in your hands and water everywhere. but if thats what you base your facts on, i see why your so passionate on the subject.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Wedges... TBD

Pro V1