Buddy trip to Scottsdale

Planning a golf trip with friends to Scottsdale,AZ. We will be there on Saturday and Sunday in April. We are currently planning to play the two TPC courses and two We-ko-pa courses.

Any recommended companies to call to help us organize the rounds and get decent accommodation? Or should we book the rounds and accommodations ourselves ?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'd skip the TPC courses for Grayhawk or Troon but if you're dead set on playing the stadium course then so be it. TPCs are still good, just think some of the others are better and give more value. Wekopa is great. No idea if there's a company that would work best, when I went we did an air bnb and then booked the rounds ourselves. Playing 36 at one place usually they have a decent deal.

WeKoPa is a no brainer. I am not a fan of the TPC course...bad experience with conditioning last time we played. But I'm sure it's in great shape now - just call before to make sure. And by all means, book it yourself!

One of my personal favorites is Talking Stick North, a Coore/Crenshaw design and it is just perfect.

Either way, enjoy! :golfer:

My set-up:
Bag - Flex Tech Crossover
Driver - Ping G430 MAX with HZRDUS Black Smoke

3 Wood - Ping G430

Hybrid - Rocketballz 3 Hybrid
Irons - Cobra King Tour irons

Wedges - Ping Glide 4  50* / 54* / 58*
Putter - Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
Shoes - Ecco Hybrid
Ball - Maxfli Tour X

Stadium is a must play- champions is forgettable. Quintero is really fun and great views.

Stadium is a must play one time and only the month leading up to the tournament. If the stands are down already then you might as well skip it. We-ko-pa are must plays. I would put Southern Dunes as the 2nd best public course in the area after Seguro.

Stadium is a must play- champions is forgettable. Quintero is really fun and great views.

Stadium is a must play one time and only the month leading up to the tournament. If the stands are down already then you might as well skip it. We-ko-pa are must plays. I would put Southern Dunes as the 2nd best public course in the area after Seguro.

This is 100% accurate.

This is 100% accurate.

I was just there last week and played(in the order I would replay them)

Quintero (Fantastic! Loved how it was cut into the mountains and the views were great. I thought the fairways were pretty generous. Can't wait to play again)

Wickenburg Ranch (Easily the best shape out of the 6 courses I played down there. Great shape and great course. Highly recommend although is a ways of a drive but well worth it)

Southern Dunes (In the second best shape behind Wickenburg. Loved the course and layout. Lots of sand but more room than it appears off the tee. Was the cheapest of the group I played but it is a ways out there)

Golf Club at Dove Mountain (Used to host the Accenture Match-Play. Really liked it. May have been the hardest of the 6 I played. Bring your game)

We-Ko-Pa -- Seguaro (I liked it as I usually do with Crenshaw-Coore designs, but wasn't blown away like I thought I would be. Was very busy and slow)

Troon North -- Monument (Kind of disappointed to be honest. The back 9 had sweet views and all but the front wasn't anything great and it was in probably the worst shape of the 6 I played. Won't rush back and it was the most expensive)

Those are just my thoughts. To each their own. In the grand scheme all 6 are good courses. Some I was more blown away than others. I have played TPC Stadium and Grayhawk in previous trips and liked those as well. I personally would play the TPC Stadium just to check it off the "bucket list" but that is just me. Enjoy wherever you decide to play!

This is 100% accurate.

Quintero (Fantastic! Loved how it was cut into the mountains and the views were great. I thought the fairways were pretty generous. Can't wait to play again)

Wickenburg Ranch (Easily the best shape out of the 6 courses I played down there. Great shape and great course. Highly recommend although is a ways of a drive but well worth it)

Southern Dunes (In the second best shape behind Wickenburg. Loved the course and layout. Lots of sand but more room than it appears off the tee. Was the cheapest of the group I played but it is a ways out there)

Golf Club at Dove Mountain (Used to host the Accenture Match-Play. Really liked it. May have been the hardest of the 6 I played. Bring your game)

We-Ko-Pa -- Seguaro (I liked it as I usually do with Crenshaw-Coore designs, but wasn't blown away like I thought I would be. Was very busy and slow)

Troon North -- Monument (Kind of disappointed to be honest. The back 9 had sweet views and all but the front wasn't anything great and it was in probably the worst shape of the 6 I played. Won't rush back and it was the most expensive)

Those are just my thoughts. To each their own. In the grand scheme all 6 are good courses. Some I was more blown away than others. I have played TPC Stadium and Grayhawk in previous trips and liked those as well. I personally would play the TPC Stadium just to check it off the "bucket list" but that is just me. Enjoy wherever you decide to play!

Troon North is so overrated. I played it a few years back and will never pay their greens fees to play it again. I need to get to Wickenburg Ranch.

This is 100% accurate.

Troon North is so overrated. I played it a few years back and will never pay their greens fees to play it again. I need to get to Wickenburg Ranch.

Yes, I do agree. Is it still a nice course in the grand scheme of things, sure. But way overpriced. I don't see myself going back anytime soon. Go play Wickenburg. I promise you'll love it! It is fantastic and like I mentioned, in phenomenal shape! My only regret is being short on time and not getting to play Lil' Wick the par 3 course. I've heard that is awesome too!

Thanks for all the advice folks. We decided to book ourselves as that was significantly cheaper. Going to play TPC (for the experience) and WeKoPa . Might squeeze in one extra round at troon or greyhawk on Friday

Are you playing TPC Champions or Stadium? Just asking because we booked and played Champions under the same premise - "just for the experience" - and it was not worth it. They go out of their way to make sure you don't get the same experience when playing the Champions course.

Champions is a completely separate facility (across the street). Not that it isn't nice, but there's no "experience" to be had - no sit-down restaurant (just a turn window), they have you hitting off of mats instead of grass at the range, and course is just average.

Thanks for all the advice folks. We decided to book ourselves as that was significantly cheaper. Going to play TPC (for the experience) and WeKoPa . Might squeeze in one extra round at troon or greyhawk on Friday

Are you playing TPC Champions or Stadium? Just asking because we booked and played Champions under the same premise - "just for the experience" - and it was not worth it. They go out of their way to make sure you don't get the same experience when playing the Champions course.

Champions is a completely separate facility (across the street). Not that it isn't nice, but there's no "experience" to be had - no sit-down restaurant (just a turn window), they have you hitting off of mats instead of grass at the range, and course is just average.

Isn't the experience playing the stadium course...with the stadium up?

Honestly, unless you're just playing Stadium with the stands up for the experience it isn't too much different across the street. I could make a pretty strong argument that Champions is actually a better course but both are simply average. Neither are in the top 20 public courses in the area.

Honestly, unless you're just playing Stadium with the stands up for the experience it isn't too much different across the street. I could make a pretty strong argument that Champions is actually a better course but both are simply average. Neither are in the top 20 public courses in the area.

Good to know. In that case TPC wouldn't worth it either way. Played Papago on the same trip and the greens were lightning. Across the board way better "experience" there than TPC.

I guess my definition of experience would include more than just the stadium aspect, like a great course, greens, clubhouse, service, food etc.

I guess my definition of experience would include more than just the stadium aspect, like a great course, greens, clubhouse, service, food etc.

That’s definitely not TPC

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

We are playing both courses on the same day. We are doing it mostly for the Stadium course.