Which irons won't you play and why?

I’d never own any Taylormade irons after some terrible experiences with their customer service. 

Callaway are our the door too bar somebody giving me a set of x forged! I’ve never found a set of their irons that feel right or given consistency. 

PXG are like a trophy wife to me. Hideously expensive, lots of extra surgery/implants and after 6 months you’ll regret everything and want to throw them in the lake. Problem is now you’re bankrupt!

Currently in a set of Srixon ZTX2s and if I ever upgrade it’ll be more Srixons or maybe Mizuno/Bridgestone. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

> @texcrom said: > Wilson. Always perceive them as a cheap low quality product.   You are Wrong

Any iron(s) with stick-on badges, bridges, bolts, elastomer fillings or laughably strong lofts. The results of any iron shot, whether forged or cast, should reflect solely the quality with which it w

You guys aren’t playing PING irons because there is a notch in the hosel that isn’t visible at address? Seriously?   Edit: and you don’t like the look at address? Have you ever held an S55 or iBlade d

Ping and PXG Irons.

Cannot stand the way they look looking down at them. I own 0311 Gen 1s and they will be sold here quickly.

The offset is atrocious to me. Granted, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I bought them or what my expectations were coming from OG Nike Blades, but whoa, not good.

Callaway woods is another. I play Cobra woods and love them.

Taylormade clubs, just never liked the look/feel of them. Titleist woods just don't feel solid to me either. Also avoid any set that claims distance gains for each club when they're just changing the lofts. Last one really limits my options.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ ◊◊ 8.5º - Tensei Pro White 60TX
Callaway Epic Flash SZ Bonded 3W - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Callaway X Forged UT 18º - Tensei Pro White 100TX
Callaway X Prototype Raw 4-PW - C-Taper 130X
Callaway MD4 52º 56º - DG S400
Callaway PM Grind 60º - DG S400
Odyssey Black Series 1

Titleist fits the #1 slot for me. They're the ultimate smoke and mirrors company as far as I'm concerned. Pretentious is another good word. Almost a cult.

PXG is another that I won't touch. Not even with a biosuit.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver:  Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber 7.5 TS, 44", King LTD, HZRDUS 75 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Aldila Tour Blue 85 S, 42.5"; Stage 2 Tour, SO Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300; Golden Ram TW276, NV105; Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; Ram TG-898, Super Peening Blue X; 1980 Golden Rams, Dynamic S; MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S
GW:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400
SW:  Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.25"; Yes! Nicky, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or 50 Elite, TP5

Taylormade.. owned Speedblades as my first set. Hate their marketing, customer service, and release cycle. Hate lots of offset and excessive chunk. Hate loud badging.

Taylormade Sim 9* Speeder 757 Tour Spec X

Taylormade Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue 110MSI 70x

Taylormade Sim Max 18* Tour AD GP 7X  | Callaway Apex '19 20* Veylix Rome 988 90x

Miura CB-57 4-7 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura MB-001 8-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist JDM Forged 51F & 56M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM8 60S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Toulon Austin 34" | Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Titleist Pro V1 or Bridgestone Tour BXS

Ping Hoofer

Less a brand for me and more a look -- can't seem to ever hit SGI very well. Started with 3-5-7-9 blade starter set and then Ping Eye2 like forever. I've played some version of a cavity back, but don't like to see any of the irons "backside" at address.

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13) Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17) Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X Odyssey Sabertooth www.YourGolfHeadcovers.com

i can't stand Callaway irons, especially the 'X' design features, dating all the way back to the X22 irons. X here, X there. Make sure it looks like an X on the back. Gawd awful cavity design. Epic Rogue woods i actually liked. But the color scheme for the Epic Flash...barf. Also also...the Callaway logo and branding just has no feng shui to me. I use to be anti-Ping just because they seem to be old fart, no style clubs. But the putter, and then woods changed that for me. Still on the fence about the iblades and i210.

I've always avoided Taylormade. Don't like the marketing.

Having said that... I'm not really "against" them. I want to play whatever is best for me. Don't really care what brand it is... Though Probably wouldn't by PXG cause... $300 a club? Nah...

• 1 month later...

Callaway. When I was young it seemed every older gentleman was putting them in there bag and making the game easier. Now that I’m older i use game improvement irons,, but still stay away from callaway

Ping and Callaway...just too chunky. I will say, however, that I do really dig the look of the Callaway Apex MB.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

I do not have an iron brand that I won't play. I have a brand of all clubs that I only try if I find nothing else first and all things mostly equal would never play their clubs. Titleist, and it is not because of the company itself, but because of one of their "house" names that makes clubs for them. I will not go into reasons, and just say because I won't. I haven't played a Titleist club since 2001. Yes I tried them, and the closest was a set of AP2's back in 2008ish. They were close to the Bridgestone J36's and I went with Bridgestone over them.

• Driver - Ping G410 LST on HZRDOUS Yellow
  • 3 Wood - TM M5 (15*) on HZRDOUS Yellow or Ping G410 (14.5*) on HZRDOUS yellow
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17* on Tour 85. ************* Member Tester TE Exotics Pro 17* on Tensei AV silver ****************
  • Irons - SUB70 testing ongoing
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50 and 54 CBX2 and RTX4 @ 58 and 62
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or  Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

> @"Harry Putter" said:

> I can't play any PING with the notch/cut out on the hosel. I know it serves a purpose, I just can't stand looking at it.

You can't see the notch when addressing the ball.

Callaway Rogue draw 10.5* 44.5"
Ping i3OS Irons 3 thru UW
Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
Ping G #4 crossover
Titleist Vokey 56* SW
Ping Cadence Tomcat C putter 34-3/4"
Snell MTBX

> @JAMH03 said:

> No need to be apologetic here just give us the straight truth even if it doesn't make sense.

>

>

>

> Which irons do you refuse to play and why?

Just rename to “why you wont play PXG irons” haha

> @starrman77 said:

> > @"Harry Putter" said:

> > I can't play any PING with the notch/cut out on the hosel. I know it serves a purpose, I just can't stand looking at it.

>

> You can't see the notch when addressing the ball.

>

Right. Does a prominent feature of the iron no longer exist when the club is at address?

> @mowakebum said:

> Ping Irons... it’s the notch in the in head. Yes I know I can’t see it at address. But I can see it in the bag and it drives me crazy.

This. I dont know why, it bugs me.

Ive never got one with the looks of Callaway stuff and in the 90/00 years a lot of taylormade products sat closed to me, so that always pushed me off that brand. The m5 does look real nice behind the ball though.

My pet peeves are wide soles, blunt leading edges, lots of bounce, raised toes and offset.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, i95cw
  • Titleist 620 - CB&MB - 3i-PW, PX 5.5
  • SM6 F-52/8, PX 5.5; SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
  • SC California Monterey
  • ProV1

The oversized, hollow pseudo-blade irons that seem to be in vogue at the moment. G700s, i500s, Taylormade P790s, Titleist T-MBs. Purely for aesthetic reasons.

Ping G410 9*
Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
Ping i210 4-U
Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
Bettinardi BB0
Srixon Q-Star Tour
Ping Hoofer

> @NRJyzr said:

> Titleist fits the #1 slot for me. They're the ultimate smoke and mirrors company as far as I'm concerned. Pretentious is another good word. Almost a cult.

Agree. I'm an GI fan and AP1 has two gap wedges (a non starter for me).

> @"Carl Spackler3" said:

> Won’t play blades because I like my shots to go in the air and somewhat straight

I'm with you on this one, even though started with blades and played them many years. No thanks.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

> @nsxguy said:

> Dude, are you kidding ?

> We've got guys who won't play the Epic Flash Driver because of the green and yellow,,,,,,, ON THE BOTTOM of the driver.

I just look at the colors as Augusta National colors...all better now! And yes I play the Epic Flash SZ.

I thought I’d never play mizuno... got fit and the club I got along with best was the hot metal pro... good times!

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7