Which irons won't you play and why?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

> @texcrom said: > Wilson. Always perceive them as a cheap low quality product.   You are Wrong

Any iron(s) with stick-on badges, bridges, bolts, elastomer fillings or laughably strong lofts. The results of any iron shot, whether forged or cast, should reflect solely the quality with which it w

You guys aren’t playing PING irons because there is a notch in the hosel that isn’t visible at address? Seriously?   Edit: and you don’t like the look at address? Have you ever held an S55 or iBlade d

I'll play pretty much anything as long as they fit reasonably well for length, lie and are within a grade of my usual shaft flex. I can figure out lofts after a simple range session or a round or two. It all works about the same.

I happen to still have the set of crappy, cast zinc alloy box set clubs I played my first season of golf from long ago. (They are kept in the attic to give to out-of-town guests who are too dumb to rent a better set.) Yep, they still work, too.

I’d say ping and Taylormade. I had a set of ping I irons and had a bad experience they didn’t feel great and the soles were too chunky. And I don’t really like the looks of any of their irons. Taylormade just doesn’t seem worthy to me and I feel like other companies have way better offerings

Titleist. I don’t think I have anything against them really but each time I’m out for new irons and I’m testing a bunch they’ve just never made it to serious consideration.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I'll play any club that works for me. I have no overriding brand grudge/dislike/hate/snobbery that will ever get in the way of me playing equipment that makes the game more enjoyable and/or easier for me.

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> PXG -- I would love to try them, but spending $3,400 on a set of irons only to lose 50% of their value when I inevitably put them on the BST would just be painful lol

I would pay $5,000 for a set of irons if it meant everything I hit went straight and on line

I just won't play big clubs, prefer small headed drivers, woods, irons etc

Haven't gone to full blades yet but have been a small cavity user for most of my serious golfing life, started off with a set of Callaway 2008 x tour irons followed by Titleist 710cbs and this summer an upgrade to 718 cbs

I'm not sure why but I always struggle to get good performance out of Mizuno irons. I love how they look and they do feel great on center strikes but I really struggle to hit them consistently whenever I try them out. It's an iron that I'd love to bag but I can't ignore the poor numbers I get from them.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 

> @rkelso184 said:

> > @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > PXG -- I would love to try them, but spending $3,400 on a set of irons only to lose 50% of their value when I inevitably put them on the BST would just be painful lol

>

> I would pay $5,000 for a set of irons if it meant everything I hit went straight and on line

I would pay $1M for a set of clubs that did that. You'd make up that cost with just one PGA Tour win haha

• Like 1

Callaway....don't know why. I wasnt a fan of Cobra either but those black forged tec irons look pretty sweet

PING G410+ 10.5* Ventus Blue 7S
PING G410 16.5* Ventus Blue 8S
PING G410 20.5* Ventus HB Blue 9X
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW  Modus 105
Callaway MD5  50/12W 54/10S 58/12X  KBS $-Taper 120
Bettinardi QB6 SBS DASS Tour Dept/Stability Tour
Titleist ProV1x

> @TryAgainPls said:

> Callaway. Just can't deal with the sound of the woods and I hate every iron they've ever made.

>

> except the Apex mb. that sucker is nice.

The Apex MBs are copies of older Hogan irons, that's probably why you like them

I'm an old geezer, but I have played since 1964, and still keep a hcp of 8.

I have tried to find MBs that I like, and have both Titleist , Taylormade TP2014 MBs - the latter is pretty OK, but nothing special, really.

Just for the h*ll of it, I reshafted my 1999 Hogan Apex irons with KBS regular shafts (they were originally Apex 4s) - and it was just like coming home from a long and frustrating journey - early season here yet, but I lowered my hcp to 7 within the last month. Old love never rusts - but I am looking forward to hear from Hogan whether they can supply me with a set of Ft. Worth, including a 3-iron. If so, they are bought.

I won’t refuse to play anything if it’s for testing, curiosity, hype, or experimenting purposes.

As for irons I would what I would use in a tournament or a money game, the list of irons I would not use is 10 fold longer than the irons I would trust. I’m not sure that is any sort of useful information.

> @bigdane said:

> I'm an old geezer, but I have played since 1964, and still keep a hcp of 8.

> I have tried to find MBs that I like, and have both Titleist , Taylormade TP2014 MBs - the latter is pretty OK, but nothing special, really.

> Just for the h*ll of it, I reshafted my 1999 Hogan Apex irons with KBS regular shafts (they were originally Apex 4s) - and it was just like coming home from a long and frustrating journey - early season here yet, but I lowered my hcp to 7 within the last month. Old love never rusts - but I am looking forward to hear from Hogan whether they can supply me with a set of Ft. Worth, including a 3-iron. If so, they are bought.

The Ft Worth 4 iron is pretty much the same as the 99 Apex 3 iron, so you may not need it. :)

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver:  Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber 7.5 TS, 44", King LTD, HZRDUS 75 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Aldila Tour Blue 85 S, 42.5"; Stage 2 Tour, SO Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300; Golden Ram TW276, NV105; Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; Ram TG-898, Super Peening Blue X; 1980 Golden Rams, Dynamic S; MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S
GW:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400
SW:  Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.25"; Yes! Nicky, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or 50 Elite, TP5

> @rkelso184 said:

> > @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > PXG -- I would love to try them, but spending $3,400 on a set of irons only to lose 50% of their value when I inevitably put them on the BST would just be painful lol

>

> I would pay $5,000 for a set of irons if it meant everything I hit went straight and on line

I wouldn't - all the courses I play are heavily tree-lined, and with my sometimes shonky tee game, I need the ability to hit a big slinging hook with a 6 iron to get out of trouble.

Other than that I wouldn't play anything from Ping, and any of their stuff I've tried has been incredibly disappointing. I think I can still feel the Eye 2+ BeCu 4 iron I caught thin in 1995....

Yonex - Because at the time, I was a loyal Yonex customer on my 4th set of irons. I bought a brand new Yonex driver. Driver cracked apart under 100 range balls. After the RMA and evaluation, they claimed I broke it by accidental impact, and made up a story that I damaged it. They wanted to sell me a new driver head, and they said they would not warranty the new driver head either. No more Yonex anything for me.

Driver... Cobra LTD Elements Chrome+
Fairway... Adams Tight Lies (2013)
Irons... 4-P Wilson F5 Kuro Kage 85R
Wedge... Cleveland RTX-3
Putter... Odyssey DFX 6600 Super Stroke 2.0 XL

> @JAMH03 said:

> No need to be apologetic here just give us the straight truth even if it doesn't make sense.

>

>

>

> Which irons do you refuse to play and why?

Anything over 150 dollars used. Not going to be responsible for the rising of prices on golf irons that are all marketing and do nothing for your game.

• Like 2

> @BarrySanders said:

> > @JAMH03 said:

> > No need to be apologetic here just give us the straight truth even if it doesn't make sense.

> >

> >

> >

> > Which irons do you refuse to play and why?

>

> Anything over 150 dollars used. Not going to be responsible for the rising of prices on golf irons that are all marketing and do nothing for your game.

#20 Which irons do you especially like?

....rental clubs weren’t always ap2s....for most decades, you’d get some really beat clubs, at least at munis. Golf gear is pretty great today.

Specifically, Jack Pearsall always had a dedicated revulsion for Ping iSI’s aesthetics but never doubted their utility. The ball went straight. But while effective, that iSI iron looked more like a plumbing supply. JP Was playing Hogan’s back then and was a monstrous club snob no doubt. But things change too, and he admits that today an old Ping iSI in becu looks cool to JP. Go figure.

Generally, oversized club heads and some of the EGI stuff (excessive game improvement). Nike Slingshots come to mind. Also, he doesn’t like hybrid iron sets. He doesn’t ever want to get to that point and fears someday he’ll be drooling in the fairway with a walker swinging viciously for those 80 yards...