Jump to content

New Ping Classic Putters


Recommended Posts

I was on my way out of a big box store in my area yesterday, and I just happened to glance at the putter rack and saw some vintage looking Anser heads. I walked over and there was a new Anser 4 and new Manganese Bronse Anser as well. Man, I rolled a few putts and they both felt really darn good! I really like their "petite" look as well, really thin flange, narrower sole width. I'm seriously thinking about picking one up.


TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F, 60.10S

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get yourself one of these! Rare as a blue steak, but oh what a beauty!! I just found this after STUPIDLY selling mine 7 years ago.  This one had a makeover by Chris Finch in the UK. Can you believe t

Just picked up these two NOS Ansers:  

Not quite as classic, but I'm rolling a PING G2 Tess blade and rolling the ball the best I ever have. It feels great and is so simple, just point and shoot. Distance control/feel is sublime.

 

Get yourself one of these! Rare as a blue steak, but oh what a beauty!! I just found this after STUPIDLY selling mine 7 years ago. 

This one had a makeover by Chris Finch in the UK. Can you believe these Retailed for $999 AUD back in the early 2000's when they stopped making them! Titanium Head with Tungsten Ingots in heel & toe 

glgravd4dmfo.jpeg

 

cwdjrbzl5j18.jpeg

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love milled putters as much as the next person, but this one below is the one I'm referencing. It may not have the best roll but it feels really good. I will be going back to the store tomorrow to roll it again and possibly purchase. Definitely a classic for a reason.cslnvr2a77co.jpg


TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F, 60.10S

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

Link to post
Share on other sites
A.Princey said:

I love milled putters as much as the next person, but this one below is the one I'm referencing. It may not have the best roll but it feels really good. I will be going back to the store tomorrow to roll it again and possibly purchase. Definitely a classic for a reason.cslnvr2a77co.jpg

 

 

Ping will mill the face very reasonable. I had my MgBr Anser and Anser X milled. They look and roll the ball great! They can also do other mods you may want like adjusting length and/or lie. They can also add weight to the head if you like.

It matters not what others call you, but what you answer to.

beer-goggles-on-glass-of-beer.jpg.c3e909aed71161ad053a32287bd7c3ed.jpg
Wishon 919THI  9* S2S Black 65 S
Wishon 929HS  14* S2S White S

Wishon 525F/D  13* S2S Black 65 S
Wishon 775HS   21* S2S Black Hybrids S
PXG 0211  5-GW  Elevate 95 S
PING Glide 3.0  54*SS

PXG 0311 Forged 60*
PING Anser3 Swan neck MgBr putter

Link to post
Share on other sites
Twin2L said:
A.Princey said:

I love milled putters as much as the next person, but this one below is the one I'm referencing. It may not have the best roll but it feels really good. I will be going back to the store tomorrow to roll it again and possibly purchase. Definitely a classic for a reason.cslnvr2a77co.jpg

 

 

Ping will mill the face very reasonable. I had my MgBr Anser and Anser X milled. They look and roll the ball great! They can also do other mods you may want like adjusting length and/or lie. They can also add weight to the head if you like.

Interesting, I don't necessarily NEED a milled face, and I believe these are already pretty light without removing more material. Either way, the current setup "as is" is almost my preference anyway, but thanks for the info.

 

TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F, 60.10S

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

Link to post
Share on other sites

f4vp01cz5pj9.jpeg

O Blade has always been my favorite. Surprised there aren’t more of them around.

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha ll 3W & 5W
Callaway Steelhead lll 9 wood 
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4/E
Cleveland 588 TA 51* & 56* 
Ray Cook Blue Goose 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, the other thing I should clarify if it isn't already apparent is that some of the classic designs are still in production, brand new. The Anser 4 pic above is from Morton Golf Sales, and it's the exact same NEW one I saw in a store.

TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F, 60.10S

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @TheLarch said:

> f4vp01cz5pj9.jpeg

> O Blade has always been my favorite. Surprised there aren’t more of them around.

 

Just picked up one of these about a week ago at the local Goodwill store..... $2.99 plus I got 15% off for being a veteran... I look there every time I am in town and have gotten some awesome deals on putters..... most I have paid is $5..oh and then the 15% off....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did in fact pick up a brand new Anser 4(remake) and I've delofted it some from about 5* to 3*. I decided to put it on the scale to see how light it is and wow, it's only 304g!!! Best part, it really feels good to me despite the weight, and I can lighten my grip to get really good feel with it. It's gonna see bag time the very first time I play again. Nothing but carpet putting so far, but the overall balance actually feels good.

TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F, 60.10S

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to quit ho'ing clubs moved on to putters, picked up a jas wti, old anser 3, old anser, wrx ti2, sadly this is in the last two weeks, the beauty is they can be had cheap and still put a good roll on the ball, there was something just right about how these feel.

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @shredNECTAR said:

> Idk why they don’t bring a putter like this back. Just give us classic anser shape no removable sole weights, no forged inserts.  Give us a nice basic anser with a milled face. That’s what the people want. 

 

Essentially the Redwood line?

WITB
Tools for the job!


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last update until I get a little course time, but my brand new Anser 4 is finally built up to my specs and it feels FANTASTIC. The blade height is on the short side, but it really forces me to keep the head centered on the equator of the ball. When struck relatively close to the sweetspot it feels/sounds every bit as good as all the Byron's and Scotty's I've owned.

 

Absolutely no slight on any milled putter maker, but this 305g cast Anser 4 head and Pingman grip are as good as anything I've gamed in the last 5 years. The light head is so versatile for me, I can grip it very lightly for super fast greens and more firm as the greens slow down. This combo seems to feel great at all levels and situations, it might be my Excalibur. The swing weight on this thing is ridiculous, but it just works. Just dialed the loft down slightly and it's rolling/feeling perfect.

TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F, 60.10S

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @brew4eagle said:

> Not quite as classic, but I'm rolling a PING G2 Tess blade and rolling the ball the best I ever have. It feels great and is so simple, just point and shoot. Distance control/feel is sublime.

 

Love me a Tess!

Driver = Taylormade SIM 8* Hzrdus green 6.0

1 iron = Titleist U501 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff tour blade,  4-PW
Wedges = Titleist 52* SM6

                   Taylormade 56* and 60* MG2

Putter = Scotty Del Mar

               Wilson Staff 8882

Ball = Experimenting at moment

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Nudgster said:

> Get yourself one of these! Rare as a blue steak, but oh what a beauty!! I just found this after STUPIDLY selling mine 7 years ago. 

> This one had a makeover by Chris Finch in the UK. Can you believe these Retailed for $999 AUD back in the early 2000's when they stopped making them! Titanium Head with Tungsten Ingots in heel & toe 

 

That’s a beauty! What does that putter feel and sound like? How would you compare it to a deep milled putter?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

> @grisham said:

> > @Nudgster said:

> > Get yourself one of these! Rare as a blue steak, but oh what a beauty!! I just found this after STUPIDLY selling mine 7 years ago. 

> > This one had a makeover by Chris Finch in the UK. Can you believe these Retailed for $999 AUD back in the early 2000's when they stopped making them! Titanium Head with Tungsten Ingots in heel & toe 

>

> That’s a beauty! What does that putter feel and sound like? How would you compare it to a deep milled putter?

 

Feels solid as, just had it remilled

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @kiwii said:

> You can even order the 1A putters if desired. I think price tag is around $130

 

I stumbled onto this one at the PGA Superstore a few weeks ago, and I loved it for some reason. It's quirky and has a distinct sound, but I still am thinking about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...