Steel shaft in hybrid

I have a Ping G 3HY that has a Aldila Tour green 85 X. I’ve always felt this was too lite as there is a huge jump from my 4I to the 3HY. The flight is a little too high for my liking as well. I recently acquired a brand new DG X100 tour issue 120G shaft that is uncut, and this has sparked my interest in trying something... 

I was thinking about pulling the Tour Green and installing the DG to 3I length, but hard step it so that it’s tipped like a 4I to possibly soften the flex ever so slightly. I currently have X100’s in the rest of my irons and believe it could be a good transition. 

Has as anyone put a steel shaft in a hybrid, and if so what were your impressions?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, you have to realize how the shaft will play is going to be determined by how heavy the head is, not the number printed on it.  Just because it's a 3 HY doesn't mean it will play the same as a 3i.   Hybrid head weights can vary quite a bit so the first thing to do is the actually weight the head and see what you have to work with before making any decisions.  A fairly standard 3i head weight would be in the 240 gm range - you can use that as a comparison.

However, to answer the question, the best way to get it to play softer would have been to get the 2i shaft instead of the 3i shaft.   Other than that, the only 'control' you have is by manipulating head weight - but that will usually be dictated by the playing length and what swing weight feel will be a good fit for you.  A good fit for swing weight is almost always going to be way more important than how good a fit the stiffness of the shaft is.  FYI, the equivalent to a soft step is about an additional 7 gm of head weight.  So in general the shorter the playing length, the heavier you can get the head to be (and maintain a good fit for SW) and the softer the shaft will play.    BUT, since you've already picked a relatively short length to play it at (as far as hybrids are concerned), that's the softest you'll really be able to get it play.

I did this a few years ago in my Titleist 915hd. I had already tried cutting it to 2 iron length with the D+90x shaft but still found the high left shot to be an issue (this had always put me off hybrids) so got my club guy to put a px lz 6.0 in an adaptor to match my irons in shaft and length. For me it is the first time I have ever been happy with this spot in my bag! Launches with a much more iron like flight but slightly higher and more forgiveness as well as a better feeling of workability compared to the D+. It feels slightly odd at first with the higher static weight but I quickly got over that so I’d say give it a go.

Stuart G. said:
First of all, you have to realize how the shaft will play is going to be determined by how heavy the head is, not the number printed on it.  Just because it's a 3 HY doesn't mean it will play the same as a 3i.   Hybrid head weights can vary quite a bit so the first thing to do is the actually weight the head and see what you have to work with before making any decisions.  A fairly standard 3i head weight would be in the 240 gm range - you can use that as a comparison.

However, to answer the question, the best way to get it to play softer would have been to get the 2i shaft instead of the 3i shaft.   Other than that, the only 'control' you have is by manipulating head weight - but that will usually be dictated by the playing length and what swing weight feel will be a good fit for you.  A good fit for swing weight is almost always going to be way more important than how good a fit the stiffness of the shaft is.  FYI, the equivalent to a soft step is about an additional 7 gm of head weight.  So in general the shorter the playing length, the heavier you can get the head to be (and maintain a good fit for SW) and the softer the shaft will play.    BUT, since you've already picked a relatively short length to play it at (as far as hybrids are concerned), that's the softest you'll really be able to get it play.

Thank you for the input. I’ll keep all of that in mind when talking with my club builder. 

I just gamed a TM UDI 2 I and he suggested we put an X7 in it, and the results are great. That is was peaked my interest in the steel shafted hybrid. 

I have a s300 in my 23* Super Hybrid, and it's been in the bag longer than any club that I own.  I have a tip weight and a heaver Adams weight in it to get the weight closer to my irons.  I have no issues hitting it high when needed, or keeping it a little lower into the wind.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM2 set 1 click lower- shaft TBD 

Fairway:  M3 3HL with Diamana Whiteboard 80s

Hybrids: 19* Adams 19* Proforce V2 85f4
Irons: 3 X Forged Utility (Proforce VTS 104s); 4 iron X Forged Utility, 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro:  All shafted with Modus 125s
Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore Wedges (All Raw with Modus 125 Wedge shafts) 48* bent to 49*, 52* Mid bent to 53*, 56* Mid bent to 58*. 

Putter: White Hot OG 7s or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

I also do this. I like to match it somewhat close to my irons. I play a short hybrid length and have also never really gotten along with graphite in them. Longer and ligher always leads me to a) poor contact b) hook machine

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
Xenon Copper Wide X
SGC 902

> @offwhite said:

> I play a titleist 585h 17* with the original rifle fcm 6.5 shaft. I’ve never experienced the “hybrid lefts” I hear so much about, and it’s been a solid club for me. Comfortable off tee or grass.

This is what I was looking for. Even with a lower launch/spin shaft, my misses are high and right (I’m LH). I always feel like this is due to the shaft being too lite.