2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Original One Mini Driver

radiman

I suspect this latest 'Mini Driver' will soon end up in closets and/or garages just like all the other 'Mini Drivers' that came before it!....

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

> @bobcat said:

> I suspect this latest 'Mini Driver' will soon end up in closets and/or garages just like all the other 'Mini Drivers' that came before it!....

Speaking from experience of owning a xhot 3deep, x2hot 2deep, SLDR mini, and Aeroburner mini, this thing is a different animal. I felt all the earlier ones played more like glorified big 3woods. With the correct shaft the 11.5 Original One can compete with about any driver out there. It is also easy to hit off the deck. Love mine. All the others were just "ok" in my opinion. I play mine as a second driver/strong 3w. I usually play a fade with my "real" driver, and I can hit nice long draws with the mini. It's a fun combo to have in the bag.

• Like 1

> @Pack7483 said:

> > @bobcat said:

> > I suspect this latest 'Mini Driver' will soon end up in closets and/or garages just like all the other 'Mini Drivers' that came before it!....

>

> Speaking from experience of owning a xhot 3deep, x2hot 2deep, SLDR mini, and Aeroburner mini, this thing is a different animal. I felt all the earlier ones played more like glorified big 3woods. With the correct shaft the 11.5 Original One can compete with about any driver out there. It is also easy to hit off the deck. Love mine. All the others were just "ok" in my opinion. I play mine as a second driver/strong 3w. I usually play a fade with my "real" driver, and I can hit nice long draws with the mini. It's a fun combo to have in the bag.

This beast is legit. It is fun as hell.

• Like 2
Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I absolutely love this club.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

> @HipCheck said:

> > @Pack7483 said:

> > > @bobcat said:

> > > I suspect this latest 'Mini Driver' will soon end up in closets and/or garages just like all the other 'Mini Drivers' that came before it!....

> >

> > Speaking from experience of owning a xhot 3deep, x2hot 2deep, SLDR mini, and Aeroburner mini, this thing is a different animal. I felt all the earlier ones played more like glorified big 3woods. With the correct shaft the 11.5 Original One can compete with about any driver out there. It is also easy to hit off the deck. Love mine. All the others were just "ok" in my opinion. I play mine as a second driver/strong 3w. I usually play a fade with my "real" driver, and I can hit nice long draws with the mini. It's a fun combo to have in the bag.

>

> This beast is legit. It is fun as ****.

I completely agree that this addition of the "mini" is different. I think it is a ton of fun. My only issue is I do not know how I would work it into my bag. But, that issue put away. it is a great club. The price is also a bit steep for something that is a bit of a novelty.

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> I completely agree that this addition of the "mini" is different. I think it is a ton of fun. My only issue is I do not know how I would work it into my bag. But, that issue put away. it is a great club. The price is also a bit steep for something that is a bit of a novelty.

For me, it's a real strong FW off the tee, but also a driver replacement if the big stick goes south. Confidence thing. I did hit it off the FW in the last round I was surprised I could. It didn't go high at all but rolled out 210 or so.

I absolutely HATE fairway woods, so it makes sense to be in that slot.

• Like 1
Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

> @HipCheck said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > I completely agree that this addition of the "mini" is different. I think it is a ton of fun. My only issue is I do not know how I would work it into my bag. But, that issue put away. it is a great club. The price is also a bit steep for something that is a bit of a novelty.

>

> For me, it's a real strong FW off the tee, but also a driver replacement if the big stick goes south. Confidence thing. I did hit it off the FW in the last round I was surprised I could. It didn't go high at all but rolled out 210 or so.

>

> I absolutely HATE fairway woods, so it makes sense to be in that slot.

>

Thats what I was kinda thinking. If you don't like fairway woods, or you do not hit them from the fairway very often and basically just need a second option off of tee's. This is a great choice.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @HipCheck said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > I completely agree that this addition of the "mini" is different. I think it is a ton of fun. My only issue is I do not know how I would work it into my bag. But, that issue put away. it is a great club. The price is also a bit steep for something that is a bit of a novelty.

>

> For me, it's a real strong FW off the tee, but also a driver replacement if the big stick goes south. Confidence thing. I did hit it off the FW in the last round I was surprised I could. It didn't go high at all but rolled out 210 or so.

>

> I absolutely HATE fairway woods, so it makes sense to be in that slot.

>

Exactly why I love mine. I dropped Fairway woods, and swore not to get another one last season. I justify my mini in the bag, because I am actually hitting it good off the deck, but that is only needed 1-2 times a most per round at my course. The bonus is I can use it off a tee much better than any fairway wood I have tried in the past. I may only pull it 4-5 times per round, but when I do there is a smile on my face lol.

• Like 1

> @Pack7483 said:

> > @HipCheck said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > I completely agree that this addition of the "mini" is different. I think it is a ton of fun. My only issue is I do not know how I would work it into my bag. But, that issue put away. it is a great club. The price is also a bit steep for something that is a bit of a novelty.

> >

> > For me, it's a real strong FW off the tee, but also a driver replacement if the big stick goes south. Confidence thing. I did hit it off the FW in the last round I was surprised I could. It didn't go high at all but rolled out 210 or so.

> >

> > I absolutely HATE fairway woods, so it makes sense to be in that slot.

> >

>

> Exactly why I love mine. I dropped Fairway woods, and swore not to get another one last season. I justify my mini in the bag, because I am actually hitting it good off the deck, but that is only needed 1-2 times a most per round at my course. The bonus is I can use it off a tee much better than any fairway wood I have tried in the past. I may only pull it 4-5 times per round, but when I do there is a smile on my face lol.

4-5 times per round seems like a good number. That is way more than I typically hit a fairway wood. Last round I played I hit a fairway wood twice, both times off of a tee that I didn’t want to hit driver. I would be willing to bet if I paid attention, I only hit a fairway wood 2-3 times per round.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @Pack7483 said:

> > > @HipCheck said:

> > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > I completely agree that this addition of the "mini" is different. I think it is a ton of fun. My only issue is I do not know how I would work it into my bag. But, that issue put away. it is a great club. The price is also a bit steep for something that is a bit of a novelty.

> > >

> > > For me, it's a real strong FW off the tee, but also a driver replacement if the big stick goes south. Confidence thing. I did hit it off the FW in the last round I was surprised I could. It didn't go high at all but rolled out 210 or so.

> > >

> > > I absolutely HATE fairway woods, so it makes sense to be in that slot.

> > >

> >

> > Exactly why I love mine. I dropped Fairway woods, and swore not to get another one last season. I justify my mini in the bag, because I am actually hitting it good off the deck, but that is only needed 1-2 times a most per round at my course. The bonus is I can use it off a tee much better than any fairway wood I have tried in the past. I may only pull it 4-5 times per round, but when I do there is a smile on my face lol.

>

> 4-5 times per round seems like a good number. That is way more than I typically hit a fairway wood. Last round I played I hit a fairway wood twice, both times off of a tee that I didn’t want to hit driver. I would be willing to bet if I paid attention, I only hit a fairway wood 2-3 times per round.

Good point. A standard type 3w would only get 1 use maybe every other round or so, and I was always unsure of the outcome, so I relied heavily on my 4 iron for setting up par 5 third shots, and rarely used it off a tee. The fact I actually want to use the mini as much as I do helps me justify how expensive it was lol.

Does anyone know if there are any tour issue versions of this in a 9.5* heads in the works? Would love to get one as a driver replacement. I know turning the 11.5 down is an option but don’t need the open face angle.

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Got my 13.5 out to the range for the first time today and was really impressed. Launch angle off the tee was really good. Carry was nearly as long as my driver. The Mini Driver landing angle was considerably steeper, so I’m guessing the total distance would be much shorter. Had a tough time elevating it off the deck. Low straight bullets, but would only be useful if the green was wide open in front.

Playing it with an Evenflow Black 75s. Same shaft as my driver. Going to play my next round with the Mini replacing driver in my short set.

> @jblough99 said:

> Does anyone know if there are any tour issue versions of this in a 9.5* heads in the works? Would love to get one as a driver replacement. I know turning the 11.5 down is an option but don’t need the open face angle.

I would try it first - I haven't moved mine off 11.5 but the ball flight is about the same as my sub zero cranked down to 8.5.

> @jmkenn0 said:

> > @jblough99 said:

> > Does anyone know if there are any tour issue versions of this in a 9.5* heads in the works? Would love to get one as a driver replacement. I know turning the 11.5 down is an option but don’t need the open face angle.

>

> I would try it first - I haven't moved mine off 11.5 but the ball flight is about the same as my sub zero cranked down to 8.5.

I would agree with that. Hit it first before thinking you need less loft. I was certain I'd need the 11.5° but hit the 13.5 much better. But then I'm over 60 and only have 100-105 swing speed-not wrx qualified at all lol.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @Warrick said:

> sticking a pro white in mine to try next time out

I have an F9 too, so can you compare the 2 drivers please.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

> @ian-500 said:

> > @Warrick said:

> > sticking a pro white in mine to try next time out

>

> I have an F9 too, so can you compare the 2 drivers please.

Will have more to share after a few rounds, F9 comes up oddly short every once in a while, can’t figure it out, mini rolls out well

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

> @bobcat said:

> I suspect this latest 'Mini Driver' will soon end up in closets and/or garages just like all the other 'Mini Drivers' that came before it!....

Remember, that Ping did this same idea with the [2014 Rapture 3/13](https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2014/01/22/ping-rapture-three-wood.html "2014 Rapture 3/13")?

Perhaps it's a "Ping" thing, but after Ping discontinued that model, resale prices for the club have held up amazingly well.

> @"15th Club" said:

> > @bobcat said:

> > I suspect this latest 'Mini Driver' will soon end up in closets and/or garages just like all the other 'Mini Drivers' that came before it!....

>

> Remember, that Ping did this same idea with the [2014 Rapture 3/13](https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2014/01/22/ping-rapture-three-wood.html "2014 Rapture 3/13")?

>

> Perhaps it's a "Ping" thing, but after Ping discontinued that model, resale prices for the club have held up amazingly well.

I have one of those Ping Rapture mini drivers, and it is a great club. On narrow holes it is very helpful. I think I only lose 10 yards or so to my driver. I also put it in play as my play club with a 5-wood and a set of hickory shafted irons, niblick and putter.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @bobcat said:

I suspect that you’ll be very, very wrong. I truly do admire your multi-forum trolling efforts though.

I’ve had mine for a month now. 11.5* with an EvenFlow White. It’s pretty much a perfect club for me. I hit it so much more consistently than my driver. I play a lot of old, short courses, so keeping the ball in play for 18 holes is much more important for me than the additional length my driver gives me.

If my driver starts to cooperate better in the future (God knows I’m trying), I’ll replace my mini with a tree wood again, but until then this club is firmly in the bag and my “large driver” only gets the nod on the widest of fairways.

Now, I haven't used a TaylorMade driver in years, so maybe this is old news, but I'm surprised at how POWERFUL this thing feels. It feels like the ball is exploding off the face. Part of this is probably the acoustics of the club, which is excellent engineering. It makes it a really fun club to hit.

I took my 11.5 degree turned to 13 degree out for its first spin for 36 holes this weekend. It's a driver replacement for me and I basically alternated between the mini driver and my 3 wood off the tee. There was a clear distance advantage with the mini driver of maybe 10 yards. Also unquestionably longer and more forgiving than my old Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5. Even a couple mishits still got out there pretty good. I did have my big right block come back on a couple holes, but that was clear operator error. I felt like I really wanted to go after the ball and ended up overswinging. All in all, this is absolutely going in the bag over my driver right now.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

> @gvogel said:

> > @"15th Club" said:

> > > @bobcat said:

> > > I suspect this latest 'Mini Driver' will soon end up in closets and/or garages just like all the other 'Mini Drivers' that came before it!....

> >

> > Remember, that Ping did this same idea with the [2014 Rapture 3/13](https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2014/01/22/ping-rapture-three-wood.html "2014 Rapture 3/13")?

> >

> > Perhaps it's a "Ping" thing, but after Ping discontinued that model, resale prices for the club have held up amazingly well.

>

> I have one of those Ping Rapture mini drivers, and it is a great club. On narrow holes it is very helpful. I think I only lose 10 yards or so to my driver. I also put it in play as my play club with a 5-wood and a set of hickory shafted irons, niblick and putter.

Me too, Greg. I found one with a Ping Tour 80 shaft in it and I just had to have it. Paid rather more for it than I'd have liked but that is the going rate. It was in really nice condition. I like having it in a backup bag of Ping clubs that I have for the fun of it. (I leave my "Ping bag" in Florida for the winter most years.) Makes me feel better about having a 45 3/4" driver in the bag.

Still loving this, I can hit it fine off the deck with stock stuff shaft but it’s a little loose off the tee. I just got an EFSZ TD with the HZRDUS Smoke Green and it’s an absolute cannon. Definitely a TINK sound and doesn’t sound as nice as the M5 or Mizuno 190 or F9 but it feels like using a sledgehammer to pound in a 16 penny nail when struck and takes the left side out of play for me. Thinking of putting one in my Original One but doubt it would be much of an off the deck club if I did. However I picked up a TEE CBX 119 5 wood with EF White T1100 which is great off the deck and almost as long as a regular three wood. Decisions decisions.

Disappointed so far! I've been using the OO for a couple of weeks now, but mostly in a test mode... just haven't found a good shaft fit so far. Basically launching low, often with a slight push cut and the feel has been a little dull. The head feels "heavy" so overall it just doesn't feel well balanced. I've tried different shaft settings but I'm sensing it would work better if I could have reduced the head weight a few grams. My benchmark of sorts is a Cleveland Launcher 330 cut to 43.75 which seems to carry about the same or slightly farther but with much better launch and with a fairly reliable draw. The 330 seems to more of what I'd like in a mini driver; it's slightly bigger and deeper, but still compact, and it's not trying to do dual service as a fairway. That said it does seem to spin up a bit more than I'd like but that might be improved with a better shaft option. Given that I'm not giving up on the OO yet and will be trying a couple of more shaft options this week. Thoughts certainly welcome...

> @14mh said:

> Was the launcher a 45 inch driver to start? If it was you probably have a pretty light swing weight on the 330 and don't know how you would get the TM to not feel like a log.

1.2 approx difference in swing weights... so not too different. Today I found a way to launch it more consistently. Still has a "heavy" feel but I did hit it roughly the same total distance as the Launcher 330 but with a lower launch. The 330 launches much higher (10.5* vs OO at 11.5 standard loft) and carries 10 yds or so farther. I prefer the 330 so far as a driver alternative but feel the OO hasn't realized its full potential. So on to another shaft (Tensei white or Graf Blue) and possibly look to counterweight it just a bit. Even with the issues it is a fun club to hit.

Sounds like you have a winner with the 330. Don't get rid of that.

I lucked into a shaft on my first attempt of the shaft roulette. This club is awesome if it fits your needs. For me, a shorter driver is needed as I struggle squaring a 460 head.

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE