Original One Mini Driver

Sounds like a great combo. What's the playing length?

DR: Taylormade M5 9* + Diamana W60x.

FW: Taylormade R9 Ti 16.5* + Diamana R80s.
HY: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 22* + White Tie HX4.
Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
Wedges: Cleveland RTX3 52*/58* + Modus 130.
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

9.5 with x100.... BULLETS  

Wanted to update posting:  I pulled my three wood and for the past month the OO and my 460 have shared tee box duties.  When the 460 has been hot I’ve been enjoying the ride if it cooled off the OO ca

I have been using a 13.5 OO for the past two months and its everything i wanted it to be. I have only used it off the tee not off the deck but every time i pull it on a par 4 i wonder why i am even c

44”, Leaves some room to trim it shorter if needed but really looking at this as a driver replacement.

Driver - Ping G425 LST 9* Ventus Black 6X
Fairway - ?

Irons - 2019 Cobra King MB 5-GW KBS $-taper 130X

SW - Cobra MIM Black 56 Versatile KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

LW - Cobra MIM Black 60 Low KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter - Tour Issue Odyssey Protype PT12 Butane Finish

For me, the club has been a game changer! It’s so good I bought a back up head in case mine breaks. I’m playing a 13.5, 1 click higher, with an EvenFlow Blue 65 @ 43.5”. It’s a 3 wood replacement and fairway finder off the tee. I can rip bomb cuts with it off the deck too due to the 55g steel sole plate. I’m still in love 6 months into it!

Play mine at 43 1/2” and it's definitely a driver replacement.

DR: Taylormade M5 9* + Diamana W60x.

FW: Taylormade R9 Ti 16.5* + Diamana R80s.
HY: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 22* + White Tie HX4.
Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
Wedges: Cleveland RTX3 52*/58* + Modus 130.
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guys, great thread. I’ve been hunting for either a mini driver or a deep faced 3 wood to use off the tee for a while. My Ping G30 LST driver gets moved from bag storage to the trunk of my car pretty often when it goes wild on me. (It cant possibly be user error). I’ve cut the shaft down to play at 44, then 43 3/4, which has added some accuracy, but my search continued.

Yesterday’s deal of the day at our big box Canadian golf Retailer was the OriginalOne, so I snappped up a 13.5 with a stiff shaft. I’ll probably open the face as my miss is left. I’m really looking forward to trying it when and if my home course opens. It is short, narrow, and full of hazards on the left.

I appreciate all the feedback in the thread.

I have a random question on shafts. If this head is as low spinning as it seems, would pairing it with a mid high or high spin shaft be a good idea?

Its funny, I just picked one up as well.

I plan on using it as a 2 wood for tight tees. I trimmed it down a smidge from the stock length so it is only slightly longer than a standard 3 wood. I have a feeling this could be a very good club for me. I picked up the 13.5 and opened it to 12.75.

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Picked up a 13.5* in the Fall of last year to go into this season and see how it would work out. Already had a few fwy shafts laying around, but came across a few others at great prices ($20 a shaft from a fitting studio up here), so will have a Fuji Pro 73X and Fuji Six X TS, Diamana 80X Kai'Li and W 70X. Nice little variety to tinker with.

Titleist Canada Day Bag:  Red Maple Leaf Dormie Headcovers

Titleist Tsi3 10* w/ KK XT 60 X

Titleist TS3 16.5* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ EF T1100 6.0

Edel 4-P w/ Paderson TS-I S

Edel 50/54/58 w/ Paderson TS-W S

Yes! Abbie Forged 33"

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up an SLDR mini a few years ago, and never really used it much (not sure how I even came across it). Recently, decided to go the minimalist route, and, with a little will-power, took the 'ego stick' out of the bag and replaced it with the mini. Much more consistent and did not lose any distance that has hurt my hacker game. Drives have been typically as far or farther than my playing partners because they, like me, can't hit driver consistently. And I have gotten to where I can hit it pretty well off the deck too. Can't say I'll never use the driver again, but if the mini keeps going as well as it has, I don't see where the driver would benefit me.

• 1 month later...

Reviving a dead thread......

Got one to try in 11.5, waiting for the X100 to cure in the adapter.....should be fun

Taylormade Original One Mini 9.5° - DG x100
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
Srixon z765 5 iron S300
Wilson Staff FG62 6-PW - S300 Hard Stepped
TM HiToe 52°/56°/62° 
Ping Dalehead - Odyssey Protype 3  - Toulon Atlanta
2016 RZN Platinum (15 dozen in the garage)

Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify

I still have my 13.5. For whatever reason, I get the same club head speed with the O.O. at 43.50 inches as I get with my 45.00 inch driver. But ball speeds are typically about 5 mph hotter with driver, even with the O.O. cranked down to 11.5. For this reason, the O.O. has always been a driving range club for me that I rarely put in the bag. I need to do more testing, however, because I get the sense that my spin is lower with the O.O., which might offset the ball speed loss, and I'm definitely more accurate with the O.O.

PING G410 1w / 3w [Ventus Blue]

PING G425 5w / 7w [Ventus Blue]*

MIZUNO MP20 4i-P [Modus Tour]

MIZUNO T-20 52 / 58 [Tour Issue]

PUTTER TBD | ProV1x #68 | CP2

*On the way 

I was excited to see some revived discussion on the One Mini.

I have a barely-used GD YS-7 wood shaft laying around that fits me really well. It came from a strong 3 wood I used to game. The old hosel on that head had to be re-set by Ping and they opted to install one of their own shafts. Anyway, for years I’ve been contemplating finding the ‘perfect’ fairway head for that shaft to put in the bag as a reliable tee club. I’ve always had relative consistency with every club in my bag except for the driver, so I have constantly tinkered with that set up.

I have an 11.5 One Mini head on the way, as well as the adapter sleeve for the shaft. Based on the head weight of the mini (thanks to the other thread!), I think this is going to work out just fine from a SW standpoint. Can’t wait to put this thing together and give it a try

I've since tried mine out with 3 different shafts, and I have to say I really dislike it. Feels terrible and hard (to me) and regardless of what shaft or setting, I'm snapping it off the planet. Had really high hopes for it as a '3' wood as I use it primarily off the tee and rarely off the deck, but I will be selling mine and picking up something else.

Yes! Abbie Forged 33"

9.5 with x100.... BULLETS

img-20200627-211042-01.jpg

img-20200627-211042-02.jpg

img-20200627-211042-03.jpg

• Like 4

Srixon z765 5 iron S300
TM HiToe 52°/56°/62° 

• 2 weeks later...

So I’ve played 3 rounds with this little experiment. It IS super fun to hit. I really don’t know how to fit it in my bag. I pulled a wedge for the tome being and carry it with my driver and 3 wood. Obviously not a long term solution.

on good strikes it’s just as long as playing partners drives. Or close enough.

every once in a while someone bombs one past it and it makes me wish I had it driver. But it’s much more accurate. Probably because it’s 44”.

the miss I see is a snap hooky one that rolls further than I’d expect. Like I walk out there and am surprised it’s at 180 instead of 100.

actually every shot with it just seems to roll out more than other clubs. Sneaky long.

I gave it a trial becuase my driver was squirrelly (as I’m sure everyone does). And it’s for sure longer than my 3 wood.

i just don’t know how to reconfigure the bag. Something has to come out.

Specs: 11.5 with an ADBB 6X. Out of the 2nd hand bin at a golf shop. 43.75”.

^ Mine was an experiment as well, and one that I had high hopes for, but was a disappointment. Even after trying a few shafts, I hated the feel, which quite surprised me. My miss was a low hook, more me than anything likely. I played mine at 42" (I'm only 5'8" and play everything short) and my 9* G400 played at 43.5" was a good 40yds longer on good strikes with a much higher ball flight vs relying on roll out.

Biggest thing for me with the G400 was the ability to pick up the OEM head weights for cheap off of golfworks (compared to the gouging that other OEM's do... fhawk them). Only thing I'm going to change is to try and get my hands on a KK 60 TX as my '13 proto in stiff yields the best, most consistent results over everything I've tried with the 18g head weight.

Yes! Abbie Forged 33"

You take the driver out.

Thats what I did, I am hitting more fairways than ever with this thing and its plenty long enough for me.

• Like 1

Srixon z765 5 iron S300
TM HiToe 52°/56°/62° 

I just got the 11.5 stock stiff shaft, plan to make a short set adding 18* hybrid, 5 irons and 1 wedge and putter. I hit quite a few as long as my driver when the fairways are rolling. The feel is something I will have to wait and see; I've never been a carbon sound/feel guy. I play the XR 16 pro dr, G400 3wd so I like the higher pitched sounds more. I don't always know where I have struck the face with carbon. But, this thing looks like knuckle-baller and does GO. Tee height is something to work on, I'm thinking lower is better for me, hit a few high on face and the feel is not good there.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently picked up an Original One with the stock shaft it wasn’t going to stay in the bag. After swapping the stock shaft for an Aerotech SteelFiber hfs780. It’s turned into a real fairway finder. I’ve been playIng an Areoburner mini for a few years now. Just got tired of my love hate relationship with my 460 driver. I love watching the ball fly I hated playIng from heavy rough or from behind a tree. The mini divers average 220 yards 30 yards shorter than my traditional driver but I’m hitting fairway. Since going mini I’ve lowered my handicap 8 strokes and the big difference is with a second shot from the fairway I’m hitting more greens I regulation then ever before. My opinion if you’re hitting fairways with your driver the mini probably isn’t for you. If you’re spraying balls all over the place (like me) give a mini a try.

The Original One seem to have a lower ball flight then the Aeroburner but the distance and consistency is about the same for me and I wasn’t expecting in great change just wanted a shinny new toy.

• Like 1