Original One Mini Driver

^I'm in a similar boat. It's rare for me to get through a full round with consistent control playing a "standard" length/head-size driver. I'll usually catch 1-2 great ones, but long-iron off the tee just gives me much more confidence/control and usually enough length for the courses I play.
About 2 weeks in with the 11.5 Mini head playing about 43.5" and it has been fun. If I had a little more patience and put some work hitting driver, I might find a better setup in a full-size head with a shorter shaft. But so far, I have noticeably better control with this Mini setup, which has had a direct impact on my scores. Like @wattage - I'm trying to dial-in tee height. Lower has seemed to be better for me as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

9.5 with x100.... BULLETS  

Wanted to update posting:  I pulled my three wood and for the past month the OO and my 460 have shared tee box duties.  When the 460 has been hot I’ve been enjoying the ride if it cooled off the OO ca

> @Pack7483 said: > > @bobcat said: > > I suspect this latest 'Mini Driver' will soon end up in closets and/or garages just like all the other 'Mini Drivers' that came before it!....

Wanted to update posting:  I pulled my three wood and for the past month the OO and my 460 have shared tee box duties.  When the 460 has been hot I’ve been enjoying the ride if it cooled off the OO came out of the bag. Last week I change the settings and the Original One has come alive. I’m seeing driving distances I have seen in ten years. (I’m 63)  Cutting the corner over the trees on doglegs consistently carrying 250+ averaging just over 285 total distance hitting  beautiful online shots with just a slight draw. Today on four par fours my second shot was a lob wedge.  Reached two par fives in two and the other two my third was again just a lob wedge.  The distance and accuracy has been a game changer for me.  This club woke up when I ignored the advice I’d heard from professional reviewers suggesting this club be played like a three wood.  I set it to the standard 12* loft setting and setup like I normally would with my driver. Bam I treated it like a driver and it started acting like one.  

Edited by Nebraska
Add details
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Jetierney13 said:

What length shaft is everyone playing in theirs?  I tend to switch between driver length and 3W length.

42.75 with an X100.

I have never, repeat never, been this consistent off the tee.....

• Like 2

Taylormade Original One Mini 9.5° - DG x100
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
Srixon z765 5 iron S300
Wilson Staff FG62 6-PW - S300 Hard Stepped
TM HiToe 52°/56°/62° 
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport 330g 
2016 RZN Platinum (15 dozen in the garage)

Check out my Podcast "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify

1 hour ago, Jetierney13 said:

I might have to try the steel shaft route!  Thank you for mentioning this I honestly would not have thought to try that.

It works well for me, but I have had steel in the driver for years, before the Mini I was still gaming my 983k with x100

• Like 2

Srixon z765 5 iron S300
TM HiToe 52°/56°/62° 

Check out my Podcast "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify

48 minutes ago, nino44 said:

Does anyone know if I can put my old SLDR driver shaft in one of these, or is the adapter different? 

Same adapter

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

I love the OO and I'm even thinking about buying a second at 11.5 now that they're being blown out at the big box. I bought my 13.5 used with a regular shaft which I changed for a stiff shaft. It was a LH stock shaft which I believe is interchangeable on a R/H head.

I have never been on the short grass more off the tee in my life! I can only max out at 230 for now but for me that's better than 250-260 either in the right or left bush with a sideways pitch back to the fairway. 

Recently for $hit$ and giggles I tried hitting it off the deck expecting a big top, but instead I was able to launch it a yardage right between my 5 wood and the OO off the peg! I friggin love this little club!

• Like 1

My OO is a 13.5 I swapped out the stock shaft for an Aerotech Steelfiber hfs780 R flex.  Just my opinion but I think too many average golfers are obsessed with playing a stiff shaft.  I often have played with guys hitting 200 yd drives who insist in continuing to use a stiff shaft and costing themselves yardage.  Have a friend who used his wife’s 12* Callaway driver for a couple weeks while talking himself into buying one.  He did 10.5* stiff shaft and 2.5” longer then her’s. He  couldn’t understand why his new driver didn’t perform as well.  I’m 63 stand 6’5” I do sets of bench press with 200 lb and play regular flex shafts.  My average drive with the OO R flex this past week 282 Yds.  If you want to get more out of your clubs get a shaft fitting the right shaft can make a world of difference in distance and direction.  With the stock shaft this club was headed to eBay.  With the right shaft I’m picking which side of the fairway I want to play from and hitting wedges into the greens.

Edited by Nebraska
Auto correct
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 9:00 PM, Roy_Donk said:

I hope I find an OO.

A lot of the ones on eBay seem sketchy or super-used.

Good 11.5s are even harder to snag than the 13.5s.

Never grinded this hard to find a club for sale. ?

Anyone had success with a Ventus in their OO?

Love the 7-S in my Sim Max Hybrid.

I think I got in on the tail end of stock being cleared out by sellers who obviously get large quantities of TM surplus.  

Hope you can find a nice one soon.

I haven’t found the 13.5* launch to be too high, and only slightly higher than my 10.5* 460 driver.  
My opinion the extra loft is an aid to being straighter.

Sorry can’t help with shaft question I went with Aerotech hfs780 shaft and loving it.

• Thanks 1

Love mine!  I play it with the stock Diamana shaft.  I love that I can use it off the tee and in the fairway.  It will probably never leave my bag.  I was lucky to find a minty 11.5* on Facebook!

TM Sim 
TM Original One 3w
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 5w

Ping G410 3 Crossover
TM P790's 5-9
Odyssey Stroke Lab #2
TM MG Wedges 46, 50, 56, 60

Been thinking about this club for a while.  Found out that a friend had a 13.5 in his basement.  Took it for a spin. Turned up the loft and played 9 holes.  

I only use my current 3 wood off the tee. Thought this would be a great replacement. Extremely easy to hit and REALLY consistent. The only problem is that it goes about 20 yards farther than my Epic 3 wood.  Almost too long for many of the holes I need a 3 wood. 

this could reduce the number of drivers I hit by a good number. 

First date - but I might be in love. 

On 8/28/2020 at 10:22 PM, prouse25 said:

Been thinking about this club for a while.  Found out that a friend had a 13.5 in his basement.  Took it for a spin. Turned up the loft and played 9 holes.  

I only use my current 3 wood off the tee. Thought this would be a great replacement. Extremely easy to hit and REALLY consistent. The only problem is that it goes about 20 yards farther than my Epic 3 wood.  Almost too long for many of the holes I need a 3 wood. 

this could reduce the number of drivers I hit by a good number. 

First date - but I might be in love. 

I did the same thing and cranked up the loft and played it like a 3w wasn’t very impressed.  When I set the loft to neutral and played it like a driver it was a different club a longer bombing club.  For me it fully replaced the driver still carry a 3w.  

On 8/30/2020 at 7:59 PM, Nebraska said:

I did the same thing and cranked up the loft and played it like a 3w wasn’t very impressed.  When I set the loft to neutral and played it like a driver it was a different club a longer bombing club.  For me it fully replaced the driver still carry a 3w.  

While i liked the OO cranked up to 15.5, it really seemed to close the face.  I found the first release of the mini driver from TM (looks like an SLDR driver).  Have it in 16 deg with a square face.  This seems to be the ticket for me.

• 1 month later...

Picked up an 11.5* OO a few weeks ago.  First round was a "learning curve" round, as I was trying to figure out ball placement in my stance but once I got it all sorted after a few holes wow this thing is sick.  The ball flight with the Diamana LTD shaft is so awesome.  I know the term "piercing" gets tossed around a lot on forums but man it was just low-mid goodness all day with a soft little baby draw.  In terms of yardage I still need a little time to see how it really stacks up against my current driver but I was within 10-20 yards from my buddies most of the day and hit all but one fairway.  I also spent some time on the range last night and really tried to go after the ball.  I know it's just the driving range but I was hitting to 3 different targets so I could really judge alignment and man it was point and shoot.  I feel like I can go after the ball a lot more too with the shorter shaft.  Not sure why but feels like there is so much more control.  After last night's range session I honestly don't know that I'll be giving up any yardage vs my current driver.

All together I'm really happy with this mini driver.  I really never gave them much thought and this was kind of an experiment but I think I may end up dropping my driver all together and gaming this thing.

• Like 2

Gamed one with the Hulk shaft in it last summer and had great luck with it so naturally I sold it in the off-season and got a G410+ which I proceeded to struggle mightily with. Will probably pick up an OO over the winter again.

It’s tough because I hate giving up the ~20 yards on the longer holes of our club but it’s perfect for the shorter holes. It’s longer than 3 wood and shorter than driver but I can’t really hit it well off the deck to replace 3 wood. I’ve never seen anyone count my clubs in league though 😂

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

Mines a fairway finder and have zero issues with distance whatsoever! Also, looks and feels nice too!

- TaylorMade Original One  13*

- Ping G25 16.5*
-
TaylorMade P770 4-PW  w/ KBS Tour S 120

- PXG 0311 Forged 50*
- Titleist SM7 54*, 58*
- Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

1 hour ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

I have not hit the SIM or SIM fairways to compare, but the OO is one of the best feeling clubs that I have ever hit.

And sounding, feels great and has the perfect thwack sound

• Like 1

Srixon z765 5 iron S300
TM HiToe 52°/56°/62° 

21 minutes ago, dupaloop3611 said:

these are a lot harder to get than I expected....

Agreed. I have a rare Ventus shaft with a TM tip that I bought on here. I tested the SIM and SIM Max in the Ventus, and I had too much spin. I'm curious to see how a OO would perform, but I'm discovering that they are hard to find/way too expensive for an experiment.

5 hours ago, me05501 said:

I LOVED my SLDR Mini Driver. It was my go-to tee club for about a year while I was working on my swing. I tried an OO this year and it didn't have that kind of magic in my hands. 

Still bag my SLDR mini, and its easily the club I hit most during rounds.  Off the tee or deck, its been awesome for me and itll be a sad day whenever it disintegrates.  

G400 LST    TS Speeder 7.2

SLDR MINI  TS Speeder 7.2

MP-18 Fli Hi

JPX 900 Forged

RTX-3 CB

Toulon Atlanta

9 hours ago, me05501 said:

I LOVED my SLDR Mini Driver. It was my go-to tee club for about a year while I was working on my swing. I tried an OO this year and it didn't have that kind of magic in my hands. 

Same issue. Never should have sold the SLDR with Diamana s+

Cobra SpeedZone Pars & Stripes 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue S 45.5”

PONDERING: Ventus Red 60x, Aldila RIP 60x

Tour Edge EXS 220 13.5 HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5
Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 UST Recoil ES 95 F5 X 

ORDERED: New Level NLU-01 21 Nippon Modus Pro 120X 1 Flat
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X 1 Flat

PONDERING: Fourteen DJ4 54

TaylorMade Hi Toe 58/10

Rife Phenom.Z 34”
Mizuno K1 Lo 2021 Blue/Red