Custom Clubs built/delivered with wrong specs

Has anyone had any issues with ordering clubs and getting the wrong specs? I placed an order with Mizuno - 1/2" long, 1* strong, 1.5* upright, D3 swing weight. Clubs arrived and felt off after about 1 bucket of balls. Got them measured and saw lofts from 1* strong to 2* weak (5 iron measured at 29* instead of the ordered 26), lie angle was only .5* upright throughout, and swingweights right around D1. Mizuno offered to check the specs and said they had to remove the heads to see if they could achieve a D3 swing weight. This doesn't make sense because the clubs are already 1/2" long - this should be easy. They also said that they bent the clubs to their original specs (the wording about the bending was a little odd and non-committal as to whether they actually bent the clubs or they say they were bent correctly in the first place). Either way, the swing weight was wrong and Mizuno admitted it. Now they say they'll get as "close" as they can to D3, but I have no idea what that means or if the lofts will even be correct. The local rep won't admit any fault and won't take the clubs back for a rebuild, just that they'll "repair" them to what I ordered. Anyone have any experience with Mizuno customer service? Getting a little frustrated here.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

> @phatchrisrules said: > As an aside, anything over length in Mizuno gets built with the B heads, which are lighter and more upright naturally. So I agree with your rep --- they didn't do any

I wouldn’t be happy for sure. I’m surprised about this from Mizuno (though I’ve never ordered a custom set from them). I’d ask them to make it right or refund you.

M5 Kiyoshi Purple
TM M4 16.5 VA Composites Drago 75
Epon AF901 19*/22*
PXG 031X Proto CTaper 125 5-P/Ping I500/I210 KBS Tour 125 5-P
PXG 0311 Forged 50/56/60-Scratch 1018 50/53/58
Rife Deep Blue

FOR NOW...........
All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

Interesting. I heard on golfwrx that mizuno is infallible. I'd send them back for swingweight correction then have the loft and lie bent to your specs locally by somebody you trust that has properly calibrated tools.

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

Sorry, I would ask for a new set, not a set which is going to be bent and "adjusted", if you order a steak medium and they brought it out rare, would you agree for the cook to keep cooking it and "try" to get it right?

Call the company direct and state what YOU want, it's YOUR money. 1 strong through 2 weak is piss poor quality control and piss poor customer service from the rep.

I ordered a S18 wedge with a PX shaft, grip logo down and when I received it it looked like the shaft had twisted during the epoxy curing process. While I could have corrected this myself I didn’t feel I should have to so I sent it back. It returned with the shaft sticker more or less aligned but the grip still about a quarter turn off. Little disappointing. That aside I love the wedge.

My personal pet peeve!

For close to 1k you’d think you would get what you paid for!

Ping G400 10.5 (9.5*) HZRDUS Yellow 75 5.5 
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra Forged Tec 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R  
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 54/14
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 58/12

This Week's Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi BC 4 34"/ 343g
TM Tour Response/ ProV1/ FG Tour

What was the equipment used to measure on your end? And the measurements were relative to what? Standard L/L/L can vary by manufacturer, and I think Mizuno standard is a degree flatter than some others. Having measured some irons and having watched the process, it’s not a cut-and-dried deal to get a reliable number, at least with the standard equipment you see in most golf shops. That said, Mizuno irons (the forged ones anyway) are very easy to bend, and if you trust your local guy more than Mizuno, having him do the bending would be a quick route to what you want.

Swing weight is a different issue; swing weight scales, being very simple, seem more consistent from shop to shop. Getting from D1 to D3 should be easy (much easier than the reverse) and should have been done right. It just takes a few seconds to dry fit and test to eliminate the possibility of a combination not following the chart. Having just custom ordered a pitching wedge from Mizuno and received the wrong flex shaft, I can agree that not getting what you ordered is frustrating. But sometimes hard to know who dropped the ball.

> @tangojay said:

> Sorry, I would ask for a new set, not a set which is going to be bent and "adjusted", if you order a steak medium and they brought it out rare, would you agree for the cook to keep cooking it and "try" to get it right?

> Call the company direct and state what YOU want, it's YOUR money. 1 strong through 2 weak is **** poor quality control and **** poor customer service from the rep.

I agree that it's poor customer service but there is no issue at all pulling the heads, rebuilding, and adjusting the loft/lie.

Custom sets by definition are bent and "adjusted" after assembly to get the correct specs.

The issue with swingweight may be that they used the lighter B weight heads since it's 1/2" long. They still should've been able to add the correct tip weight to get what was ordered though. Hopefully they make it right.

> @howellhandmade said:

> What was the equipment used to measure on your end? And the measurements were relative to what? Standard L/L/L can vary by manufacturer, and I think Mizuno standard is a degree flatter than some others. Having measured some irons and having watched the process, it’s not a cut-and-dried deal to get a reliable number, at least with the standard equipment you see in most golf shops. That said, Mizuno irons (the forged ones anyway) are very easy to bend, and if you trust your local guy more than Mizuno, having him do the bending would be a quick route to what you want.

>

> Swing weight is a different issue; swing weight scales, being very simple, seem more consistent from shop to shop. Getting from D1 to D3 should be easy (much easier than the reverse) and should have been done right. It just takes a few seconds to dry fit and test to eliminate the possibility of a combination not following the chart. Having just custom ordered a pitching wedge from Mizuno and received the wrong flex shaft, I can agree that not getting what you ordered is frustrating. But sometimes hard to know who dropped the ball.

Definitely agree that there could have been some error on the measurements taken by my guy. He used a Mitchell Steelclub angle machine (non-digital) and measured against the Mizuno standard specs for that set. We checked each iron 3 times by removing and resetting - obviously some human error is expected, but the range in loft discrepancies from iron to iron was so vast that I'm confident something was incorrect. He also tested other irons on the machine and the specs came back to match what had been ordered on those clubs - this may be a coincidence, but I think it's more likely Mizuno just made a mistake.

My biggest concern is how Mizuno, specifically the local rep, has handled it and how vague they have been during the process. To say they will get "close" to D3 swingweight seems like a cop out and is not what I ordered. Obviously I'm not going to be able to tell the difference between D2.5 and D3, but I have no idea what "close" means. At this point we're going on 3 weeks without a resolution or even any urgency on their end. For the rep to basically state Mizuno did nothing wrong is laughable.

I ordered JPX900 tours when they came out and the specs were all over. Ordered +1/2" and D8. I needed them quickly so I accepted them, played them with lead tape, then had them re-built by someone I trust. Now when I order anything - it's all hard numbers. I don't order a PW +1/2" and 2* upright, I order it at 36", 66* lie angle, 47*loft at D8 SW.

Bag set (hopefully) for at least a year...NOPE. Today's date is ~~10/8/2019~~. 7/16/2020. 3/15/2021

Driver: Taylormade M5 9* (set at Standard) - Project X Smoke Green 60 6.5TX

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - Project X Smoke Black 70 6.5

5 wood: Taylormade SIM 19* - Diamana Blueboard 83x 

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI 2 @ 17* - Project X 6.5 (on the bench)

Irons: 3-6 Taylormade 2014 TP MC;  7-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* strong) - Project X 6.5

GW: Taylormade MG 50* - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 1018 DOG bent to 54* - KBS Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 1018 PDG  bent to 59* - KBS Ctaper 130x

Putter: Bettinardi BB1 Copper Classic - 35" @ 68* and 1.5* loft. 

My JPX900 Forged from two seasons ago came in close to what OP stated. Supposed to be 1/2" over, came in standard to maybe 1/4" over. Loft and lies were a bit of a mess. Luckily I work(ed) in a golf shop at the time so it was an easy fix to bend loft and lie. I was a little peeved at the length but ultimately decided for a quarter of an inch it is wasn't worth it to make a stink. From what I have seen the last few years I wouldn't trust any OEM build any more. I've seen some really scary stuff. The only company that seems to be on with their lofts and lies is Srixon. Every set I have seen from them is bang on. While it is not really helpful to OP, I have some friends that are very skilled club builders so I trust their work to get it done. I would suggest the OP reach out to someone to get it redone.

As an aside, anything over length in Mizuno gets built with the B heads, which are lighter and more upright naturally. So I agree with your rep --- they didn't do anything wrong here. You have to specify A heads if you want heavier over length clubs. The person you placed the order with should have known that.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

> @phatchrisrules said:

> As an aside, anything over length in Mizuno gets built with the B heads, which are lighter and more upright naturally. So I agree with your rep --- they didn't do anything wrong here. **You have to specify A heads if you want heavier over length clubs. The person you placed the order with should have known that.**

I don't agree with this. If I order something over length and request a D3 swingweight, Mizuno should know how to build that configuration and should use whatever parts necessary (A or B heads, tips weights, etc.) to accommodate that order. It shouldn't be up to the customer or authorized retailer to tell Mizuno how to meet the specs. And if Mizuno can't create the build ordered, they should inform the retailer/customer of that before building a set that is not to what was ordered

• Like 1

Anytime I get “stuck” meaning local guy washing his hands of it and getting a bit of a run around, I send an email or LinkedIn to the President. You will most definitely get a response.

I bought a nice Hermès watch for my wife for our 25th from a watch dealer in the neighborhood. Strap broke after 2 weeks, local guy fixed it and then it again broke one month later. Brought it back and the guy says “sorry, nothing I can do at this stage”. I was like WTF!!

I pushed on the guy but he did nothing. Sent an email to the CEO of Hermès and he got back to me with a big apology within 3 days and gave me a number for an SVP in customer service. Brand new watch and watch band sent one week later?

Mizuno did the same for me on custom order, standard lie when they were supposed to be 2 degrees upright. Dealer adjusted after i couldn't figure out why I couldnt hit the sweet spot.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 Mitsubishi Tensi Orange
Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue
Callaway Epic 5 Flash wood Mitusbishi Blue Tensi Blue

Pingi25 ZZ65 4-pw

Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s
Titleist SM6F Grind 50*, SM7 M Grind 55* SM6 59* S Grind S-300

God Bless America

Srixon screwed me up recently. Ordered a 785/585 combo set, all 785 lofts and 1* up. Most of the irons were 1* strong and 3-4* upright. SMH

I didnt measure them and immediately pulled the shafts for Will Peoples to build up, so no recourse really. Luckily I have a mitchell in the garage but 2 rounds and a few range sessions of wicked hooks was a bit puzzling

Sigh. Just finished re-building my new custom Mizuno pitching wedge that arrived today. I know that a B weight head with ProjectX lz graphite shaft +1“ and golf pride mcc midsize should come out right about D3, that’s what my MMC pw is. My build sheet from the original iron set specified swing weight “as light as possible.” So my custom MP18 MB pitching wedge arrived at D5. No sympathy from the authorized Mizuno dealer who ordered it for me (this was the second wedge; the first came with the wrong flex shaft), so I pulled the head, planning to drill some weight out of the hosel, at which point I found the tip weight. Removed the tip weight, back to D3. Who puts a tip weight in a “SW light as possible build?”