What up with Jordan?

tsecor

15 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Looks like YJS will miss the cut this week.  He is going to have some time off before the U.S. Open...

After these last few years he might not even qualify as YJS anymore.  

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

7 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

The Y now stands for Yesteryear

That does seem to be the case these days.  

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

5 hours ago, ebk said:

Lefty playing right handed?  It worked for Ben Hogan...

I think that Hogan being a lefty has been proven to be a myth.

However, Hogan did start out playing as a lefty as he had a lefty club, the only club he had in the caddy yard.

• Thanks 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

4 minutes ago, gvogel said:

Bill Rodgers, Ralph Guldahl, Curtis Strange - the answer to guys who played at the very top of the game for a few years, and then couldn't.

Are you ready to add Jordan to that list? 

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

10 hours ago, bladehunter said:

He has to do something.  Soon.  Too much talent to waste it.    

I tell you. What I don’t get is why he isn’t mad yet.  I mean irate.  I run too hot for this type crap.  Results or else.  I can be patient if I’m seeing incremental improvement , but you always have this feeling of if a club or a change is going to work.  If I don’t click with it and know after 2-3 swings. It’s out.  I’m not saying Cameron can’t be the instructor.  But what I don’t get is why he can’t just hit the reset button and go back to 2015 swing.  even  if it took months to groove.  For most of us our natural swing is alwasy there. even  after changes to improve it are grooved.  As in I can go back and show you the arm overrun , and the hook I worked my way out of . Now I hit a fade and am much slower and shorter going back.   I’ve seen tiger in clinics ( pre surgery ) show the crowd his 3 swing changes one after another.  And he preformed each perfectly.  

Jordan can go back upright and play if he’d just do it.  This laid off two way miss is the issue.  And it’s now killed his mindset.  He has no idea where the ball is going.     Upright and down the line is the answer.  

Maybe he’s chasing that Hogan feeling. Flat worked well for him.  I do disagree with you on the “just go back to what worked” idea. That body is gone. He is bigger and stronger(and older). It sounds so easy but you cannot just go back .  Even Tiger has talked of this. He may be able to “show” the differences in a clinic but you cannot go play that way. Especially not play at the tour level.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Someone should setup a call between Spieth and Lydia Ko.  I don't have an opinion on Foley, but it seems like he did get Ko to dump all of the thoughts going through her head and swing freely again.  Her swing isn't the same as it was when she came out on tour, but her path looks more neutral and slightly out-to-in again.  Apparently she's hitting a fade again vs. trying to turn it over / hit it farther.

Her comments:

"With Sean, we haven't done a lot in the technical sense. We are trying to get rid of the question marks in my head so I can swing freely. Sean has told me to dig a hole and throw all my crap in there. A big thing for me has just been able to believe in myself again."

Some of these people have enough talent to just swing naturally and hit the ball well enough.  I would include Spieth in this camp but whether he ever changes his direction or soon enough remains to be seen.  

• Like 1

For those of you that bought Brooks Koepka at the top of the market last year (8 majors no problem, right?), looks like he will finish the 2019-2020 season with the same number of wins as Speith (zero).  Brooks did beat him in MCs though.

Taking the recent results and extrapolating them into the future is not knowledge or analysis yet many seem to think that it is.  Tiger in 2008, Rory in 2014, Spieth in 2015-2017, Koepka in 2019...

15 hours ago, erikalfstad said:

I hope he finds a way out of it. I came across that video on social media, which I first saw posted on this thread, of him taking over 20 seconds to pull the trigger just out on the range. It’s been stuck in my head sense. 

That's a great point.  You get one thought (and hopefully it's a fairly simple one), and you have to pull the trigger.

You play golf by feel, not by swing thoughts.  One can take your mind off extraneous stuff.  Nicklaus said he could play with 2 thoughts when he was really playing well.

How many thoughts were going through DJ's head this past weekend?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

17 hours ago, erikalfstad said:

I hope he finds a way out of it. I came across that video on social media, which I first saw posted on this thread, of him taking over 20 seconds to pull the trigger just out on the range. It’s been stuck in my head sense. 

I saw that video as well, a few guys on social media mentioned that he is working on grip changes though & that's why he was stood over the ball for that long, to get comfortable.  Hopefully they're right.

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

Man, the extensive COVID-19 hiatus has not been working out for Spieth. I was really hoping the time off can calm his mind and rebuild his confidence. 

He had 3 top 10. That's it. (https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.34046.jordan-spieth.html)

Onto 2021 season, I guess. I wonder whether this is what Spieth will be in the short-term, good enough to keep the card (and maybe occasional top 70 at the end of season), but nothing more. 

5 hours ago, gvogel said:

That's a great point.  You get one thought (and hopefully it's a fairly simple one), and you have to pull the trigger.

You play golf by feel, not by swing thoughts.  One can take your mind off extraneous stuff.  Nicklaus said he could play with 2 thoughts when he was really playing well.

How many thoughts were going through DJ's head this past weekend?

Two.  Hit it far and Brooks face on back of ball.

• Like 1

The game was better to watch when he was playing well.  His game is scrappy and the type that finds a way to get the ball in the hole.  Lately... he can't find the fairway, let alone the hole,

• Like 1

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

He needs to go back all the way to the basics.Go to a driving range with  200 balls and a 5 iron,no fking coach and start from their.Stop all the fiddling at the ball and slowly build up his confidence again.

Cant think of anything else Jordan,if your reading this.

Incredible to think that from winning the Open three years ago,it feels like an achievement if he makes the cut.

Edited by Chris52
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 3:01 PM, bladehunter said:

He has to do something.  Soon.  Too much talent to waste it.    

I tell you. What I don’t get is why he isn’t mad yet.  I mean irate.  I run too hot for this type crap.  Results or else.  I can be patient if I’m seeing incremental improvement , but you always have this feeling of if a club or a change is going to work.  If I don’t click with it and know after 2-3 swings. It’s out.  I’m not saying Cameron can’t be the instructor.  But what I don’t get is why he can’t just hit the reset button and go back to 2015 swing.  even  if it took months to groove.  For most of us our natural swing is alwasy there. even  after changes to improve it are grooved.  As in I can go back and show you the arm overrun , and the hook I worked my way out of . Now I hit a fade and am much slower and shorter going back.   I’ve seen tiger in clinics ( pre surgery ) show the crowd his 3 swing changes one after another.  And he preformed each perfectly.  

Jordan can go back upright and play if he’d just do it.  This laid off two way miss is the issue.  And it’s now killed his mindset.  He has no idea where the ball is going.     Upright and down the line is the answer.  

Under no pressure Tiger & Spieth can show you all sorts of different versions of swings old to new, but it’s the playing under pressure part that highlights flaws & weaknesses that previously weren’t there with no pressure. Mentally Spieth is shot and that’s overriding any attempt to engrain any swing changes. He’s slowly become a true basket case between the ears and it’s looking like he’ll never recover as he’s been on this spiral to nowhere for too long now.

3 hours ago, RareSight said:

Under no pressure Tiger & Spieth can show you all sorts of different versions of swings old to new, but it’s the playing under pressure part that highlights flaws & weaknesses that previously weren’t there with no pressure. Mentally Spieth is shot and that’s overriding any attempt to engrain any swing changes. He’s slowly become a true basket case between the ears and it’s looking like he’ll never recover as he’s been on this spiral to nowhere for too long now.

I agree on it being mental.   But. It’s not a no hope situation.  The mind is just as easily set right as it is distracted.  If he’s get mad and say enough , and stop thinking. His Brain spiel recall how to hit the ball.  This game is hard on one hand and very simple on the other.  He has the hard part by birth.    Somebody needs to kick him in the jewels and call out his man card.  Shame him into getting on with it 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

7 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I agree on it being mental.   But. It’s not a no hope situation.  The mind is just as easily set right as it is distracted.  If he’s get mad and say enough , and stop thinking. His Brain spiel recall how to hit the ball.  This game is hard on one hand and very simple on the other.  He has the hard part by birth.    Somebody needs to kick him in the jewels and call out his man card.  Shame him into getting on with it 

Spieth should have showed up last week with a Red Sox hat on and asked Joe LaCava to caddie for him.

Lydia Ko seems to have turned it around somewhat.  By just swinging the club like she remembered doing as a kid.  Foley is teaching her for [ ] sake.

On 8/25/2020 at 7:24 PM, bladehunter said:

“The mind is just as easily set right as it is distracted.”

If that was true Spieth after 3 years is either extremely mentally weak or it’s not as “easy” as you make out.

5 hours ago, RareSight said:

“The mind is just as easily set right as it is distracted.”

If that was true Spieth after 3 years is either extremely mentally weak or it’s not as “easy” as you make out.

Just because one doesn’t do it doesn’t make it hard.  We make Things way more difficult than they are a lot of times.  Can’t never could and won’t never will.  

Edited by bladehunter

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

In my mind the parts don’t match. The Uber weak grip doesn’t seem to work with his new swing. 

yeah I know Hogan had a weakish grip and a flat swing but I think his left hand is even weaker and he doesn’t have Hogan’s body type. If he keeps that grip he needs to swing more with the arms and more upright.

JMHO. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

2 hours ago, indianagolf2 said:

Jordan spieth is done..will be off tour in a few years

100% and that's why I believe he has nothing to lose at this point and should rebuild his golf and personal life.  Firings and divorces.  There's no downside anymore, nothing worth saving.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

It takes a quiet mind to handle the pressures of past Major wins. The old saying “once you’ve been to the mountain top”. After that he started chasing distance. He has to play with what he brought to the dance. 
The mind quiets with familiarity. Forget it all and swing the club. Put it in the fairway and play from the short grass. 

On 8/29/2020 at 7:06 PM, bladehunter said:

Just because one doesn’t do it doesn’t make it hard.  We make Things way more difficult than they are a lot of times.  Can’t never could and won’t never will.  

“Just because one doesn’t do it doesn’t make it hard.”

If it was “easy” Spieth would be “doing it”, no? 

That’s unless Spieth’s *purposely sabotaging* his career, or he’s *secretly enjoying* his slide into obscurity?

So which is it?