2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What up with Jordan?

tsecor

Jordan getting it back?  Doubt it.  Overall I'd start thinking of securing movie rights, rise-fall-redemption story arc, culminating with dramatization of that farewell T2 at Barracuda 2029 where he misses 3 footer for the playoff.  The movie will be played over and over, in a loop, some days on Golf Channel in 2040.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

7 minutes ago, Drewsky34 said:

It’s getting so depressing seeing him throw decent rounds in the garbage. 

Some of you are taking someone else's career far too seriously

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

55 percent gir 

35 percent fir

2 triple bogeys. More bogeys than birdies.

Below average distance and putting so far.

He just doesnt hit it good enough.

Once or twice a year he will make a bunch of snakes and fool everyone but the ball striking just aint there.

It's not mean. It's not coming from a Spieth hater. Its just honesty. 

He doesnt have the ball striking from tee to green anymore to be relevant week in week out.

Edited by Mcgeeno
  • Like 4

His short game is fine.  It's always been his inconsistent swing that's been the problem.  He doesn't have a consistent miss which can go both ways.  During the early part of his career it wasn't as bad as it has been the past few years and his putting was so good that it would cover some of his mistakes off the tee.  I think his pursuit of distance was also partially to blame for his poor play, but the majority is in his head.  He's still a young man so he has time to figure it out. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

His short game is fine.  It's always been his inconsistent swing that's been the problem.  He doesn't have a consistent miss which can go both ways.  During the early part of his career it wasn't as bad as it has been the past few years and his putting was so good that it would cover some of his mistakes off the tee.  I think his pursuit of distance was also partially to blame for his poor play, but the majority is in his head.  He's still a young man so he has time to figure it out. 

It’s nothing more than that Laid off backswing and flatter plane he’s trying to play from now.  Before he was upright and swing down the line using face adjustments for which way the ball would fall. As in hit it mostly straight.  He’s gone to trying to play that rope hook for some unknown reason .  Go to 2015 and watch his release and swing from behind.  He fonsihed up over his head. Not down and around like now.  His 2015 swing was a marvelously predicable swing.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

14 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

It’s nothing more than that Laid off backswing and flatter plane he’s trying to play from now.  Before he was upright and swing down the line using face adjustments for which way the ball would fall. As in hit it mostly straight.  He’s gone to trying to play that rope hook for some unknown reason .  Go to 2015 and watch his release and swing from behind.  He fonsihed up over his head. Not down and around like now.  His 2015 swing was a marvelously predicable swing.  

Yeah you're right.  It seems to me that his swing change could stem from him trying to get more distance off the tee.  A lot of long hitters such as DJ, Sergio, Rahm, etc. are laid off at the top and perhaps that is perhaps helping generate more SS from lag. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

It still boggles my mind that he would have the success he did and then come to the conclusion that he needed to change his golf swing. Tiger set a bad example for the young pups in that regard. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s now obvious he won’t be able to fight through these changes.  He needs to fire his swing coach, probably his caddie and reset.  I know he is a loyal person and these people are probably like family to him, but at some point business is business and this should be the prime of his career.  

• Like 4

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

2 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

It’s now obvious he won’t be able to fight through these changes.  He needs to fire his swing coach, probably his caddie and reset.  I know he is a loyal person and these people are probably like family to him, but at some point business is business and this should be the prime of his career.  

Absolutely.... I might keep Michael as long as he was all in on fixing it.  Whatever it took.  But at this point he needs a new voice in his ear.  

I feel like the right voice could fix this inside of a season.  But butch is retired.  ( ducks and runs  for cover ). 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

21 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Absolutely.... I might keep Michael as long as he was all in on fixing it.  Whatever it took.  But at this point he needs a new voice in his ear.  

I feel like the right voice could fix this inside of a season.  But butch is retired.  ( ducks and runs  for cover ). 

Sometimes you just have to clean house and get a fresh outlook.  Look, I know we are just speculating,we don’t know what is really going on with team Jordan. He got married, he had early success, money changes things, but he seems like a guy who is driven to win.  It might be as simple as removing everyone who is in your ear and going to the range and digging it out if the dirt. Or he might just need to find some new advice from different people.  

I hope he figures it out because I think he makes golf more entertaining. 

Edited by dlygrisse
  • Like 3

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

5 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Absolutely true.  And I agree on the mind boggling part.  It irks me to no end.  Mostly because I recognized the genius in his swing early on while most just cite the chicken wing finish.  Then golf digest did that special on the analysis that shown how long he held the face square to path . It was nuts how long his hitting zone (square to path ) was.  He had it figured out and then poof.  Change it ...

would be like jim furyk laying his swing down and trying to swing like hogan.   Goes against his own swings DNA.  

I don't think that "the genius in his swing" was sustainable.  1. It is not natural.  2. It was reliant upon hand squaring of the face, not natural rotation.  I think that swing was flawed from the get go.  He was able to make it work for awhile when he was younger with less battle scars - the innocence of youth, and great putting.  But he was exposed to too many players who were flying it by him on the course, and that has to work on the sub-bean.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

4 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

Wrote that about 2 years ago, for many it was "too early, he'll be fine, changes must take hold"

Now 2 years of work down the drain, and counting!  I suspect he'll keep on pushing in the wrong direction, "there's no going back" all that stuff.  He's got nobody to take him aside and have "the talk."

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

1 hour ago, gvogel said:

I don't think that "the genius in his swing" was sustainable.  1. It is not natural.  2. It was reliant upon hand squaring of the face, not natural rotation.  I think that swing was flawed from the get go.  He was able to make it work for awhile when he was younger with less battle scars - the innocence of youth, and great putting.  But he was exposed to too many players who were flying it by him on the course, and that has to work on the sub-bean.

I just disagree.  It wasn’t handsy.  It was due to his being upright.  

think standing over the ball.  Think of an imaginary yardstick running straight through the ball parrallel to your toe line.  Now think of a swing path that swings along that line.   You bring it barely inside to out for a draw and you bring it barley outside to in for a fade.  Nothing else changes.  He had zero flip at impact to square it up.  He just finished with his right hand underneath going at the target.  The “ chicken wing only really showed itself whne he was holding off a low trajectory wedge etc.  it was face control.  Not the opposite which would be saving it with the hands. Ie timing it up.  

now he’s doing opposite.  Think of an arc going through the ball from behind your trail foot to the ball and then ending behind your Lead foot.  He’s swinging on that line now and trying to arrive at a square face at impact.   This is how alot of little kids swing whne the club is too heavy or too long.  

Which in my opinion is dumb dumb dumb.  

some players natural dna swings that way. And that’s cool.  But those of us who see straight lines in  in the swing can’t comprehend why you’d add an element of timing like swinging on a arc.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

Sometimes you just have to clean house and get a fresh outlook.  Look, I know we are just speculating,we don’t know what is really going on with team Jordan. He got married, he had early success, money changes things, but he seems like a guy who is driven to win.  It might be as simple as removing everyone who is in your ear and going to the range and digging it out if the dirt. Or he might just need to find some new advice from different people.  

I hope he figures it out because I think he makes golf more entertaining. 

100% agree.  His talent wasn’t a fluke.  We simply weigh distance too much these days.  Golf was better with him in it. 

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

12 hours ago, Medson said:

Back door to a T38!

Trending in the correct direction?

No. YJS had 3 straight top 10's last year in May/June. Didn't help him. Of course a T38 after a T71, T72, MC, MC, MC run looks like improvement. If there were a cut for this event YJS would of had another MC.

• Like 2

I think it's time for me to step in with YJS ....

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Jordan, let me introduce you to "The Lifestyle" ....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

“There’s a lot that’s off. I’m not really sure. If I knew, I’d fix it,” he said.

“Why doesn’t he just stop thinking and swing?!”

“I’d love to,” Spieth says. “But the second I try and just pick a tree and swing at it, the ball goes pretty far offline. There still needs to be focus on the mechanics.”

“Standing on a tee at the U.S. Open and not exactly knowing where the ball is going to go is not a great feeling,” Spieth said, gazing out at a motley crew of masked reporters. “I know you guys probably haven’t experienced that before, but it’s not incredibly enjoyable.”

“I’ll grind it out. I don’t ever give up,” Spieth said. “I have no reason to. I’m here.”

Then he went to practice.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/news/jordan-spieth-lost-us-open/amp/

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

“There’s a lot that’s off. I’m not really sure. If I knew, I’d fix it,” he said.

“Why doesn’t he just stop thinking and swing?!”

“I’d love to,” Spieth says. “But the second I try and just pick a tree and swing at it, the ball goes pretty far offline. There still needs to be focus on the mechanics.”

“Standing on a tee at the U.S. Open and not exactly knowing where the ball is going to go is not a great feeling,” Spieth said, gazing out at a motley crew of masked reporters. “I know you guys probably haven’t experienced that before, but it’s not incredibly enjoyable.”

“I’ll grind it out. I don’t ever give up,” Spieth said. “I have no reason to. I’m here.”

Then he went to practice.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/news/jordan-spieth-lost-us-open/amp/

Pretty entertaining interview here from a week ago.     It’s long , but somewhere around the 3/4 mark he literally says he’s now looking back at the “ blueprint “ swing from 2014 and 15 and working towards it.  Albeit a new version because of his body changes in the gym.     Who knows.  But that’s at least a glimmer of common sense.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 3

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Pretty entertaining interview here from a week ago.     It’s long , but somewhere around the 3/4 mark he literally says he’s now looking back at the “ blueprint “ swing from 2014 and 15 and working towards it.  Albeit a new version because of his body changes in the gym.     Who knows.  But that’s at least a glimmer of common sense.  

Saw that part. Wow, gotta hand it to him, has a great attitude.

”I’m in a great mental space”

I guess seeing 8-digits in your bank account with your morning coffee ️ will help with that ; )

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Saw that part. Wow, gotta hand it to him, has a great attitude.

”I’m in a great mental space”

I guess seeing 8-digits in your bank account with your morning coffee ️ will help with that ; )

Not only the money, but also the exempt status.  Talk about having a block of altitude to work through your problems

FLIGHT Movie Trailer Starring Denzel Washington | Collider

• Like 1

Jordan is such a feel player and he has lost his way. I think he needs to get with Will Smith and find his way back. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Has he tried switching equipment? Or at least shafts?

It can make a world of difference in feel and confidence if you find the right head/shaft combo in the driver. 

I'm sure he has tried this but I haven't seen it publicized. 

Obviously the clubs are not THE problem, but sometimes the right driver can give you a boost and confidence and make it easier to fix your problems. 

Edited by straightshot7