What up with Jordan?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He may or may not get it done this week.  But I’ll say it AGAIN...... you guys are nuts if you think he’s done and his success was a fluke.  This kid has won in dominant fashion since his primary scho

Everyone should want Jordan to win this...

Form is temporary, class is permanent. 

Posted Images

On 4/5/2021 at 5:23 AM, agolf1 said:

To me, the fans were just as wrong as the haters.  Go back to late-2017, 2018 and the fans would have told you he was just about to turn the corner.  They were way off - it was much worse than they ever expected.

I'd say a reasonable over-under career total for this guy is 20 wins / 5 majors.  And that would be low based on all the "hype" or "look at what he did from 2015-2017, normal people don't do that" stuff that was often cited here many years ago.

I'm glad to see him win and noted a few weeks ago he seemed to be back (or on the way back for real).  But let's see if he returns to a multiple winner per year, multiple more majors, etc vs. some random tour event winner.  There's a big difference between the two...

He has a good 20 years left of potential winning on the tour if he stays motivated.  He will have more ups and downs, I think he should at least double his current wind totals, majors are different, he may win 5 more or zero more, but I suspect he will end up with 5 or 6.  

• Like 1

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

12 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

thanks for the shout out.

glad I’ve made the anti-Jordan hall of fame.

just kidding 

even though we disagree on just about everything, I know you’re a good guy who means well. 

and so do I. I’m less of a jerk in real life, I promise.

I don’t even dislike Spieth. He seemed pretty cool when I saw him in person. Obviously if I had a chance to play golf with him I’d be doing my best to make friends with him and he’s probably a great guy in real life.

I do think his commentary and over analysis is not the best to watch.

but if anything (as a huuuuge Tiger fan) I am probably in the camp of how non-huge Tiger fans felt when the huge Tiger fans would root for him so relentlessly/passionately. Sometimes the narrative needs some balance. 

What's weird is people dislike JS for his "commentary" yet love Tiger, who sometimes had almost endless streams of commentary filled with F-bombs and other profanities in front of young fans.  JS is neurotic, and Tiger was just passionate I guess....

• Like 4

Ping G400
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

24 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Your positivity and total lack of a grandiose hot take have no place in this thread

Bahaha!! Yeah, I've got nothing else...the dude is just super fun to watch and really good at golf!!

Callaway Mavrik (10.5*) / Aldila Rogue White 130 M.S.I.

Callaway Mavrik (15*) / Aldila Rogue White 130 M.S.I.

Srixon Z H85 (19*) / PX Hzrdus Black 6.0

TaylorMade P770 (4), Srixon Z785 (5-PW) / N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50-54-58 Mid) / Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade TP Collection Soto (36")

WITB on WRX

17 hours ago, Barfolomew said:

Jordy I'm a fan.....

But stop talkin to the ball in the air you sound like a neurotic whiner.......... Live with your hit and man up already. Has he not learned the mental game is everything at his level yet?  He even admitted his downfall was mental... makin the game tougher then needs to be is a rough way to win tourneys

?? ... literally every golfer talks to his/her ball in the air ... "man up" ... he's not man enough? ... what is meant by "man up"? ... just curious ... 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bad9 said:

Did you watch golf from 1980 to 1997? That's the kind of stuff they were saying then "these guys are all too good for someone to dominate", etc. It was actually pretty boring. And then came April 1997...

You guys are missing my point.  Or more likely I’m not getting it out properly. 

im not discounting tiger.  Holy crow.  I’d rather watch tiger than eat , pure genius in any subject fascinated me.  

what I’m saying is ,    There won’t be another one.  Period , full stop.  Nobody thinks like he played.  They all just swing hard and chase stats.  Not trying to be great , just trying to find the sweet spot of averages , and get lucky when they can.  Everyone of them.  Nobody thirsts for blood.  It’s frowned on in society.  Tigers upbringing could be called abuse in some circles today.  

the only point I’m making is that we’ve seen the only one there is.  We won’t see an 8 major guy in my lifetime. I’m 41.  8 isn’t halfway to tiger or Jack.    So how is it that what I said earlier isn’t proving true ?  Where is this person who’ll win 7 events in a row ?  

• Thanks 1

Titleist tsi2 9*  Accra RPG gold 462 M5 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

26 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Lots of folks dislike Crusty as well.  Some folks have a need to complain about stuff.  Those who verbalize displeasure with shots are easy targets satisfying that need.

Yep. I also love to watch Christie.  Few F bombs , you know. Genuine person. Lol. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Lots of folks dislike Crusty as well.  Some folks have a need to complain about stuff.  Those who verbalize displeasure with shots are easy targets satisfying that need.

I bought my wife a pair of socks, when she was still working as a Legal Admin in a corporate legal department of a multinational.  These socks read "I'm a delicate f---ing flower."

That's my sideways commentary on Ms Kerr's language....   😊

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5*, one click lower loft, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X -or- Aldila NV105 X

3w: Cobra King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h, NV105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58*
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Rife Bimini, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

On 4/6/2021 at 1:20 PM, bladehunter said:

You guys are missing my point.  Or more likely I’m not getting it out properly. 

im not discounting tiger.  Holy crow.  I’d rather watch tiger than eat , pure genius in any subject fascinated me.  

what I’m saying is ,    There won’t be another one.  Period , full stop.  Nobody thinks like he played.  They all just swing hard and chase stats.  Not trying to be great , just trying to find the sweet spot of averages , and get lucky when they can.  Everyone of them.  Nobody thirsts for blood.  It’s frowned on in society.  Tigers upbringing could be called abuse in some circles today.  

the only point I’m making is that we’ve seen the only one there is.  We won’t see an 8 major guy in my lifetime. I’m 41.  8 isn’t halfway to tiger or Jack.    So how is it that what I said earlier isn’t proving true ?  Where is this person who’ll win 7 events in a row ?  

8 majors is more than halfway to Tiger. I agree there is no other like Tiger but I but don't agree with some of your points.

"They all just swing hard and chase stats": Tiger was known for swinging hard, almost out of his shoes and hitting it way longer than everyone else when he first came on tour. Also, isn't he the guy who has been chasing Jack's record stat of 18 majors?

"Not trying to be great": I'm sure some of them are content with just making a living out there, and playing halfway decent become a multi-millionaire, but you cannot say that there is not one single person out there trying to be great. You don't think Bryson/Spieth/Rory/Reed want to win every time out?

14 minutes ago, golfer929 said:

8 majors is more than halfway to Tiger. I agree there is no other like Tiger but I but don't agree with some of your points.

"They all just swing hard and chase stats": Tiger was known for swinging hard, almost out of his shoes and hitting it way longer than everyone else when he first came on tour. Also, isn't he the guy who has been chasing Jack's record stat of 18 majors?

"Not trying to be great": I'm sure some of them are content with just making a living out there, and playing halfway decent become a multi-millionaire, but you cannot say that there is not one single person out there trying to be great. You don't think Bryson/Spieth/Rory/Reed want to win every time out?

Tiger rarely swung out of balance like Bryson regularly does.  Speed doesn’t equal hard.     He had speed. But he wasn’t swinging in a way that looked like he was going at it hard .  Bryson is doing Heeman thrusts for practice swings and then spinning like a top on the actual swing.  

Other than that i don’t get your points.  Name one guy who’s burning his candle at both ends like tiger did.   Bryson is the closest I can think of.  And he doesn’t have the natural talent required to do so , in my opinion.   

DJ is the obvious guy.  But he’s a family man now.  Brooks wants to. But his body isn’t nearly going to allow it.  And so on.  

I don’t even recall what started this convo.  But I still stand by 8 majors being unreachable now.  Equipment has made the game so evenly spaced player to player that no one guy can break free.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Tiger rarely swung out of balance like Bryson regularly does.  Speed doesn’t equal hard.     He had speed. But he wasn’t swinging in a way that looked like he was going at it hard .  Bryson is doing Heeman thrusts for practice swings and then spinning like a top on the actual swing.  

Other than that i don’t get your points.  Name one guy who’s burning his candle at both ends like tiger did.   Bryson is the closest I can think of.  And he doesn’t have the natural talent required to do so , in my opinion.   

DJ is the obvious guy.  But he’s a family man now.  Brooks wants to. But his body isn’t nearly going to allow it.  And so on.  

I don’t even recall what started this convo.  But I still stand by 8 majors being unreachable now.  Equipment has made the game so evenly spaced player to player that no one guy can break free.  

I can agree that Tiger had more speed than everyone else, but there was plenty of times he swung as hard as he could. Could probably find a couple in almost every round he plays. Si Woo Kim just broke his putter today because he 3-putted and was in like T5 or T6 place. But he doesn't want to win. When Spieth talks to himself after every shot he whines and needs to shut up, but when Tiger does it its just "He is passionate and wants to win!!" I assume we also just don't see the true side of all the players thoughts. It not like they would come right out to the cameras and start MF'ing people and saying to win at all costs/etc. Not a great look for their brands, I think you would have to agree to that. 

I think somebody will win 8 majors in your lifetime. For me personally, I don't agree with the equipment argument. In all eras of golf, every single person on tour everyone was using equipment that gave them the best chance to win. Still the same today, the best players use the best equipment. Talent is the thing that separates them. There is just a lot more talented/skilled guys today than there was in Tiger's era and Jack's or whoever's. 

9 minutes ago, golfer929 said:

I can agree that Tiger had more speed than everyone else, but there was plenty of times he swung as hard as he could. Could probably find a couple in almost every round he plays. Si Woo Kim just broke his putter today because he 3-putted and was in like T5 or T6 place. But he doesn't want to win. When Spieth talks to himself after every shot he whines and needs to shut up, but when Tiger does it its just "He is passionate and wants to win!!" I assume we also just don't see the true side of all the players thoughts. It not like they would come right out to the cameras and start MF'ing people and saying to win at all costs/etc. Not a great look for their brands, I think you would have to agree to that. 

I think somebody will win 8 majors in your lifetime. For me personally, I don't agree with the equipment argument. In all eras of golf, every single person on tour everyone was using equipment that gave them the best chance to win. Still the same today, the best players use the best equipment. Talent is the thing that separates them. There is just a lot more talented/skilled guys today than there was in Tiger's era and Jack's or whoever's. 

We’re saying the same thing on tiger. Trying to find one driver swing with recoil ( his “ out of your shoes “ swing -tell ) isn’t the same as the guys who do it every swing now.  

sure. Plenty want to win.  Hear that. Want to win.  But not many do whatever it takes to actually do it.  Or try to do it.  The mentality is what I’m taking about.  you yourself said it.  They are afraid of ruffling feathers and loosing ad dolllars.  Did tiger fear that ?  I don’t think the evidence says he did.  He burned plenty of $ several times.  He regularly showed anger beyond what’s considered normal frustration , on camera.  And without apologizing.    Today’s player has to spend a month making amends if he says any curse word on. Tape.  To himself.  It’s just a different world.  

who do you think gets to 8 ? 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

It's great to see Jordan swinging, especially the driver, with a lot more freedom and confidence. 22 of 28 fairways and 30 of 36 greens so far. Not too shabby.

Although he catches a lot of heat on this site because of his running commentary, I find it intriguing to be able to gain some insight on what these guys are thinking. Yesterday, Jordan commented to Greller that during the swing he heard the noise of the wind in the trees increase and let it affect his shot.

I can certainly relate to that. I am so easily distracted that I make Bubba look like a Zen master.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Glide 2.0 58

On 4/6/2021 at 10:21 AM, dlygrisse said:

What's weird is people dislike JS for his "commentary" yet love Tiger, who sometimes had almost endless streams of commentary filled with F-bombs and other profanities in front of young fans.  JS is neurotic, and Tiger was just passionate I guess....

Brandel sent a nice and pointed comment in Bruce’s direction last night for his useless F bomb/sarcasm in his post-round interview. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, mwkbmw said:

It's great to see Jordan swinging, especially the driver, with a lot more freedom and confidence. 22 of 28 fairways and 30 of 36 greens so far. Not too shabby.

Although he catches a lot of heat on this site because of his running commentary, I find it intriguing to be able to gain some insight on what these guys are thinking. Yesterday, Jordan commented to Greller that during the swing he heard the noise of the wind in the trees increase and let it affect his shot.

I can certainly relate to that. I am so easily distracted that I make Bubba look like a Zen master.

The clip they showed from 2017, “What would Arnie do?” was priceless. 

• Like 2
On 4/9/2021 at 9:13 PM, bladehunter said:

I agree with your statement about swinging hard. I can Not ever remember Tiger swinging so hard he looked odd. It was still a very balanced swing. 

I also agree I don't see anyone being as dedicated to winning major the way Tiger was right now. I do believe if Jordan could keep the blow up holes at bay and his comes back that and his short game could help him win a lot of majors. Without the way Tiger went about it. But not 18. 8 could be doable for him. If....... 

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, mizuno player said:

I agree with your statement about swinging hard. I can Not ever remember Tiger swinging so hard he looked odd. It was still a very balanced swing. 

I also agree I don't see anyone being as dedicated to winning major the way Tiger was right now. I do believe if Jordan could keep the blow up holes at bay and his comes back that and his short game could help him win a lot of majors. Without the way Tiger went about it. But not 18. 8 could be doable for him. If....... 

I found it interesting that they said Tiger held the record for the longest driving average in Masters history, till Bryson broke it last November. Tiger set the record in ‘97 with a steel shaft and a wound a Titleist professional. Tiger swung it REALLY fast when he was a skinny 20-something. 

• Like 3

Ping G400
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Came back to see if we had any other pearls of wisdom dropped here ?   

still crickets I see. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

still crickets I see. 

I was coming to say the same thing @BlackDiamondPar5 said......YJS trending in a very nice direction.....we certainly could play the "what if" game after that trip on the 9th Friday....leading field in GIR'S I believe. 

He loves this place and should win again fairly soon! 

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

still crickets I see. 

What is there to say?

With his first win in ~3.5 years at the Valero, are we supposed to go wild? 

Maybe this finish at the Masters will move him into the top 30 in the OWGR.

Great.

But how is he a bigger story than Xander, DJ, JT, Rahm, Morikawa, Bryson, Reed, Hatton, Simpson, Cantlay, Koepka, Rory, Finau, Hovland, Berger, Matsuyama, etc?

He's been playing well lately. But the level of hype is still based on what he did 3+ years ago...until further notice.

If/when he wins a major and has a multiple win season, then we can talk about whether there are crickets. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spieth's average performance in the Masters is incredible, to have 5 top 3 finishes by the age of 27.

But still only the one win, when it definitely should be two, and possibly 3. He's good enough on that course to get near the 6 of Nicklaus, but probably needs to turn these high finishes into another win at Augusta if he wants to be considered one of the best ever on that course.

• Thanks 1

His best skill has always been his clutch putting and this week he didn't have it. Compared to the field he was pretty bad from 5-10 feet.

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3