When Did "New" Stop Meaning New?

Maybe it's just me, but I'm kind of tired of these people on eBay who list clubs as being new only to then in the description tell about how it was only used for a few rounds, or a couple months or whatever other length of time. When something is listed as new, it should be new as in still in the original plastic that it came in. Once it is out of the plastic and you hit a ball with it, it's not new anymore no matter how much you want it to be. I literally clicked on 5 consecutive listings which that stated the club was "new" only to then read about how they used it for this or that about of time, but that it is still new. Sorry about the rant.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Around the same time people started feeling that all their used crap is still worth 90% of the retail price.

Looking on classifieds, ebay, etc is LAUGHABLE how much people are asking for used and well used things, not just from golf. When you clue them in to how stupid their price is and why it isnt selling they get offended. Classic.

Epic Max LS + HZRDUS Yellow  / TS2 3W + Tensei AV Blue / Mavrik 7W + ATMOS TS Blue / XForged UT + ATMOS TS Black  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

Doesn’t eBay offer both new and new with tags as options when listing an item? Pointless for golf but probably makes a difference for certain goods.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

> @Petethreeput said:

> I think it is a long slide as we further insulate ourselves socially resulting in the drop of functional vocabulary for the average person from 23,000 words in the 50's to 10,000 in 2005. It can help with re-sale though...

Is this true? Dang...

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> Around the same time people started feeling that all their used **** is still worth 90% of the retail price.

> Looking on classifieds, ebay, etc is LAUGHABLE how much people are asking for used and well used things, not just from golf. When you clue them in to how stupid their price is and why it isnt selling they get offended. Classic.

I know that I started pricing my items a bit higher because I know I'm gonna get beat down on price. When I used to price things well they wouldnt sell and I'd end up getting offers that were extremely low. But youre right, 90% of a new item is pretty steep.

Srixon ZX5 9.5* - GD ADDI 6S
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
Taylormade M4 19* - UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")

Srixon ZXU 3i - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat

Cleveland Zipcore Tour Rack 50*/54* mid, 58* low -0.5" - 2* flat 
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
Odyssey OWorks 2ball  33.5" - 1* loft - 71* lie

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack - 34" 4* loft - 71* lie
WITB Link

> @Nick081974 said:

> On eBay??!!!! WHAT ABOUT HERE!!

>

> Almost every day and currently in the BST “Brand New” clubs listed only used for a few dozen range balls or only used 7 rounds! I bite my tongue but it does bother me like crazy!

This drives me absolutely nuts. There was a driver listed recently as "Brand New ________". First sentence of the listing repeats that it is brand new. Four sentences later the seller says something along the lines of "I tried it at the range for a couple buckets and one round on the course, and it just isn't for me." I actually reported it to the mods (who didn't do anything) because those types of listings are what tend to end up on DOND as disputes. I just can't imagine having the...audacity (dishonesty?) to twice list a used club as new before divulging in the very same paragraph the fact that is not new. And to be honest, I immediately assume the seller is not to be trusted, so he is losing at least one potential buyer.

Its not just Ebay, its not uncommon on the BST here.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

@blink3665 that is a true statement if I remember the exact numbers correctly (which I think I am). The general theory, and of course it is just theory, is it is the logical progression of individuals who are able to completely communicate in a very small circle or through writing. When writing the majority of folks use the shortest simplest words to describe an event, action, etc. Its pretty amazing if you ask me.

> @ORT said:

> How can something be new and other at the same time? That makes no sense. It's either new or not. Thanks eBay for muddying the waters just a little bit more.

I'm pretty sure "new other" was intended for "seconds" type of items. For example, I've purchased Kentwool socks that are seconds because they have misaligned logos so they can't be sold for full price. It was not intended for people to sell used crap as new because they want to get more money, but that was the inevitable result.

Just want to add that the lowballing flakes came over with the site update.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

what part of "_**need these gone asap**_" did you guys not understand? just pay my ridiculous price i have posted on something you can get about 1/2 price cheaper on the bay. oh and don't forget to add $1,000 if i'm shipping west of the Mississippi. >:)

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

> @toc said:

> Doesn’t eBay offer both new and new with tags as options when listing an item? Pointless for golf but probably makes a difference for certain goods.

“New” or “New (Other)” are the two choices for new.

As far as “Mint”, or “Pristine” used so often on here, I’m sorry but if you’ve hit a bucket of balls or “12 ProV1’s” Your irons are neither mint nor pristine IMO, and they’re certainly not new, so don’t price them based on your description.

If you could see my feedback it would be 500+ here and nearly 700 on EBay. All positive.

I’d like to chime in:

I’ve seen a few BST Ads recently that said “Brand New” only hit a few rounds or “Brand New” hit a bucket of balls etc....

I cringe.

I want to report the ad.

I want to reach out and tell them they are at best misleading and at worst, untruthful and potentially fraudulent.

Then I remember most WRX’ers are smart and see through that BS. It’s just another step you have to go through before buying something.

But I’ll agree with others here: it’s pretty frustrating and 100% avoidable.

Don’t get me started on eBay. It’s the Wild West.

M2 or M3 or M4 or ... M5 or SIM
Some driving iron for Links courses
Titleist or Mizzy Blades when I feel lucky otherwise some AP2s or Pings or z745s or Callys 
A Vokey wedge or 2 or 3
I love/hate every one of my 17 putters

I have no problem with "mint". To me it means it will be hit, but be _virtually_ the same as "brand new". Sure, someone has hit it a few times (hopefully not with sandy range balls, or else its not "minty" any more). If it doesn't have any scratches/ball marks, I really don't care if someone has hit it some, as long as I can't distinguish from new.

I have bought more than normal recently, and everything has been better than advertised on Global Golf, CPO, and the Bay. If I'm buying here (never have) or eBay, I won't buy unless they have detailed pics of the actual club for sale anyway, so I kind of skim over the descriptions without putting much stock in them.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

> @"Olde Maroon" said:

> > @Nick081974 said:

> > On eBay??!!!! WHAT ABOUT HERE!!

> >

> > Almost every day and currently in the BST “Brand New” clubs listed only used for a few dozen range balls or only used 7 rounds! I bite my tongue but it does bother me like crazy!

>

> This drives me absolutely nuts. There was a driver listed recently as "Brand New ________". First sentence of the listing repeats that it is brand new. Four sentences later the seller says something along the lines of "I tried it at the range for a couple buckets and one round on the course, and it just isn't for me." I actually reported it to the mods (who didn't do anything) because those types of listings are what tend to end up on DOND as disputes. I just can't imagine having the...audacity (dishonesty?) to twice list a used club as new before divulging in the very same paragraph the fact that is not new. And to be honest, I immediately assume the seller is not to be trusted, so he is losing at least one potential buyer.

I know being a mod isn't easy, but that should be policed especially if reported.

On the other hand...there are some "used" or "new other" wood heads I have seen listed on ebay by dealers that can only sell the head in that manner.

They will say ....hit on indoor monitor for demo purposes.

When received...it is in fact brand new in plastic!

:p

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5 72g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5 80g X
CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 18*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST 102g X
TAYLORMADE SIM2 RESCUE, 22*, Diamana Thump 105g X
TAYLORMADE P790 - 4, 5, 6, PX IO 6.5
CALLAWAY APEX 21 TOUR CB, 5 - GW, PX IO/LS 6.5

TAYLORMADE MG2 52/9, DG TI x100; Hi-Toe 55/9, DG TI s400; MG2 60/8, DG TI s400 ONYX
VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 52/9F, DG TI x100; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX 
TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold

SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper

Are these ads devoid of pictures ? If not. Ignore the text. Look at pics. And decide what condition it is for yourself.

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Pxg Gen 2 0317X 3h  kbs 95 s+ 

Titleist T100 [email protected]*  modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft.