2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

NEW MACGREGOR IRON AND WEDGES

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay on new pictures. Just received in some heads late last week and they are being photo shot ASAP. Should have some images up before you start eating turkey.

Reid.

Reid, would you be able to share the direction MacGregor will be taking in regards to the Club Line-Up, even if pictures are not available?

Will we continue to see Drivers, Fairways, and Hybrids with the Cup Face technology?

Do you anticipate releasing a new non-Draw Driver soon?

Will you continue to offer Game Improvement selections?

By the way, congratulations on the good showing on the 3 Wood in Todays Golfer and 5 Wood in Golf Monthly.

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

Somehow, I missed this thread until now. As everyone else has stated, the new stuff looks great! I played MT Tourney CBs for a long time as well as well as the NVG driver and V Foil putter. I'm definitely going to be looking at those irons when they are available.

I'm excited about the putter line up as well. Clean classic designs at a very reasonable pricepoint, what more could you ask for? I hope the insert will be discreet as opposed to that awful red the Rossa putters sport. Also, it would be great if the head-weights were nice and heavy. Anymore info on the models that will be available?

Callaway Epic

Callaway Apex Hybrid
Honma TW Muscle Backs
TP Mills Custom Soft Tail

I currently own over 30 sets of MacGregor irons, mostly Nicklaus/VIP/JNP variants, and every single set has diamonds on the faces. I think the diamonds are a MUST HAVE custom option on these new MT's. Satin chrome with diamond faces.... it doesn't get any more "MacGregor" than that!

I'll order a full set, 2-LW, satin chrome throughout, and order me a big GREEN and WHITE MacGregor staff bag to put them in. Please bring back the old bags, or some rendition of the old bags. They are the classiest, prettiest golf bags to ever grace the practice range at PGA Tour events.

Seriously, I have a set of custom grind 1025M's. When I placed my order, I got to speak directly with a guy at MacGrgor named Don Kilkenny. I hope he is still there. He was amazing. I took some pictures of my old Muirfield Customs and sent them to Don, and told him I wanted the toe and topline to look just like the old irons. They came out looking PERFECT. I got 2-LW, and they even custom stamped my wedges 54 and 61 degrees!!!! Oh, and they also have my initials "MB" stamped on every single club in big, bold, deep letters. They have satin chrome and they are by far and away the best set of irons I've ever hit, and I've hit everything.

PLEASE bring back that classic MacGregor look, Reid, and thanks for sharing your time and your thoughts with us here. This is AWESOME STUFF.

Regards,

Mike Baisley
Knoxville, TN

I also think the diamonds on the face are a must. They make macgregors stand out compared to other sets. I would really love to be able to get them onthe faces. I also really want to see the green and white stand bags. A local magregor guy named Ron Baker had a green and white leather like stand bag in his shop a few years ago, i have kicked myself for not buying it everytime i see anything macgregor.

[quote name='teezoid' post='797955' date='Nov 21 2007, 11:04 AM']Turkey is very close to being served.....[/quote]

[size=3]It's the bottom of the 9th on the turkey eating clock...but I promised to get everyone some new pictures to look at before turkey was served. So here goes:

I don't have picture of the Driver or all of our game improvement irons yet. However, the MT Forged CupFace iron (low-mid handicap product), MT Fairway and Hybrids (also with CupFace technology) have arrived. New images of production grade samples of the MT Pro-C, Pro-M and MT Pro "DW" Wedges (satin and gunmetal) are also attached.

Following are some descriptions of the entire 2008 lineup to paint the entire picture that everyone has been anxious to explore (which we appreciate very much)...along with a brief explanation of my vision for where the brand is headed.[/size]

[size=3]Our objectives for the future of MacGregor Golf are to build the brand into the leading manufacturer of "tour-inspired" and personalized (a.k.a. custom) golf equipment...particularly in the iron, wedge and putter segments. In doing so, we will return MacGregor to be the "club of choice" for the best players at the professional, amateur, senior, women and junior levels. This differentiation will occur by offering more tour-inspired shapes than any other manufacturer...that preserve the aesthetic appeal of classic designs while tastefully incorporating the latest game improvement technologies. We like call this design approach "Modern Classics". Obviously, these objectives won't be achieved overnight...but we have a clear vision and strategy in place of how to get there.[/size]

[size=3]Regarding the specifics of our new 2008 products, here's what the lineup looks like:[/size]

[size=3][b]MT PRO-C[/b] - 1025 Carbon Forged heads...CNC milled cavity back...Tour inspired shaping...Stock shafts are either Nippon NS PRO 1150GH or Dynamic Gold S300...Stock grip is Golf Pride DD2 (MacGregor black/red)...Street Price = $799. Finish options are Satin Chrome (mid/late December) or Gunmetal (early February). This club is designed for lower handicap golfers. Men's only, available 3-W. Left Hand coming in mid-March

[attachment=192712:Pro_C_Full_View.JPG]

[attachment=192714:Pro_C_Closeup.jpg]

[attachment=192716:Pro_C_Back_View.JPG][/size]

[size=3][b]MT PRO-M[/b] - same as PRO-C except the design is a milled muscle back. Men's only, available 3-W. Left Hand coming in mid-March

[attachment=192718:Pro_M_Full_View.JPG]

[attachment=192720:Pro_M_Side_View.JPG]

[attachment=192721:PRO_M_times_4.JPG][/size]

[size=3][b]MT PRO-C/M[/b] - combines long irons of PRO-C with short irons or PRO-M (typically this will be 3-6 PRO-C and 7-W PRO-M...but we can do whatever the Customer wants). Men's only, available 3-W. Left Hand coming in mid-March[/size]

[size=3][b]MT[/b] - Forged CupFace combined with cast 17-4 stainless body (2-piece construction)...moderate undercut channel for optimal weighting...Tour inspired shaping, very similar top profile to MT PRO irons, but slightly larger...Stock shaft is Nippon NS PRO 950GH...Stock grip is Golf Pride DD2 (MacGregor black/red)...Street Price = $799. Availability is mid-January. This club is designed for low to mid handicappers. Men's only, available 3-W.

[attachment=192717:MT_Iron.JPG]

[attachment=192719:MT_Top_Line.JPG][/size]

[size=3][b]MT-MID[/b] - Cast 17-4 stainless body with cast CupFace...deep undercut channel for optimal weighting...Tour inspired shaping, slightly larger than the MT iron...Stock shaft is MacGregor Micro-step lightweight steel...Stock grip is Golf Pride DD2 (MacGregor black/red)...Street Price = $599. Availability is mid-January. This club is designed for mid to higher handicappers that want a traditionally shaped iron but with confidence inspiring design benefits. Men's only, available 4-GW.[/size]

[size=3][b]MT-OS (oversize)[/b] - Cast 17-4 stainless body with cast CupFace...deep undercut channel for optimal weighting combined with wider sole...Tour inspired shaping, slightly thicker top-line but not obnoxious...Stock shaft is MacGregor lightweight graphite...Stock grip is Golf Pride DD2 (MacGregor black/red)...Street Price = $799. Availability is mid-January. This club is designed for higher handicap golfers that aspire to play a more traditional head shape...but with erratic swings and/or slower club head speeds they need lots of help! Men's set comes with 4-5 MT Hybrids, 6-GW. Senior and Women's set comes with 4-6 MT Hybrids, 7-GW. Senior (green) and Women's (eggplant) products have unique color schemes (grip/shaft/head) for point of sale differentiation. [/size]

[size=3]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/size]

[size=3][b]MT PRO "DW" Wedges[/b] - 1025 Carbon Forged heads...Tour inspired shaping designed by Hall of Fame craftsman Don White...Stock shaft is Dynamic Gold...Stock grip is Golf Pride DD2 (MacGregor black/red)...Street Price = $109. Finish options are Satin Chrome (mid/late December) or Gunmetal (early February). This club is designed for any golfer looking for a traditional wedge designed by a legend whose clubs have won 12 major championships. Available 50º/6 ºB, 52º/6ºB, 54º/10ºB, 56º/12ºB, 56º/8ºB, 58º/10ºB, 60º/8ºB, 60º/12ºB. Left Hand version available in 56º/12ºB and 60º/8ºB starting in mid-March. MT PRO Wedges will have a custom logo program for corporate business or tournament prize opportunities.

[attachment=192715:DW_Satin_1.JPG]

[attachment=192713:DW_Gun_Metal.jpg]

[attachment=192711:DW_Gun_Metal_3.JPG][/size]

[size=3][b]MT ESCAPE Wedges[/b] - Oversize 17-4 Stainless head with a classic shape and very wide sole/flange. Stock shaft is MacGregor branded lightweight graphite...Stock grip is Golf Pride DD2 (MacGregor black/red)...Street Price = $99. This club is designed for higher handicap golfers that use graphite shafted irons who are looking for a classic shape with ultimate "escape-ability". Available in 56º and 60º. Available in Men's, Senior and Women's versions. Senior (green) and Women's (eggplant) products have unique color schemes (grip/shaft/head) for point of sale differentiation. [/size]

[size=3]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/size]

[size=3][b]MT 460 Driver[/b] - Forged beta Ti CupFace plasma welded to 6-4 Ti body construction...Tour inspired shaping (top) combined with triangular sole geometry...Stock shaft is the new Aldila DVS 65 (Mitsubishi Bassara also available as stock option for a reasonable up charge, tons of other custom shafts options can be ordered) ...Stock grip is Golf Pride DD2 (MacGregor black/red)...Street Price = $299. Availability is early February. Men's options are 8.5º - 11.5º. Offset version available in 11.5º and 13.5º for Senior and Women (shaft is MacGregor branded and designed for slower swing speeds). Senior (green) and Women's (eggplant) products have unique color schemes (grip/shaft/head) for point of sale differentiation. [/size]

[size=3][b]MT Fairway[/b] - Stainless CupFace with Stainless body construction...Tour inspired shaping (top) combined with "baffler style" triangulated sole...Stock shaft is MacGregor branded lightweight graphite...Stock grip is Golf Pride DD2 (MacGregor black/red)...Street Price = $179. Availability is early February. Men's options are 13.0º, 15.0º, 16.5º, 18.0º. Men's options also available in 2º UP/2º FL lie angles. Offset version available in 3,5,7 for Senior and Women (shaft is MacGregor branded and designed for slower swing speeds). Senior (green) and Women's (eggplant) products have unique color schemes (grip/shaft/head) for point of sale differentiation.

[attachment=192723:MT_FW_13_3.JPG]

[attachment=192725:MT_FW_13_Front.JPG]

[attachment=192726:MT_FW_13_1.JPG][/size]

[size=3][b]MT Hybrid[/b] (same hybrid that comes in the MT-OS iron set) - Stainless CupFace with Stainless body construction (same as MT FW)...Classic shaping with slight offset (top) combined with "baffler style" triangulated sole...Stock shaft is MacGregor branded lightweight graphite...Stock grip is Golf Pride DD2 (MacGregor black/red)...Street Price = $149. Availability is early February. Men's options are 17º (2h), 20º (3h), 23º (4h), 26º (5h), 29º (6h). Men's options also available in 2º UP/2º FL lie angles. Senior and Ladies versions available in 20º (3h), 23º (4h), 26º (5h), 29º (6h) (shaft is MacGregor branded and designed for slower swing speeds). Senior (green) and Women's (eggplant) products have unique color schemes (grip/shaft/head) for point of sale differentiation.

[attachment=192727:MT_Hybrid_6.JPG]

[attachment=192722:MT_Hybrid_2_Front.JPG]

[attachment=192724:MT_Hybrid_17_1.JPG][/size]

[size=3]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/size]

[size=3][b]Bobby Grace Face-Off DCT Putters[/b] - same product currently in the 2007 product lineup. Removable DCT (Distance Control Technology) face plate allows golfers to choose between a softer polymer and firmer titanium insert (you get both faces with each putter), both offering the performance benefits of DCT. DCT is a proprietary and patented insert technology from MacGregor that helps off-center struck putts end up closer to the hole. This is accomplished due to the minimization of energy loss that DCT provides as result of the varying rebound properties outside of the CG location. Street Price = $199. Available now in both RH (3 models) and LH (2 models).[/size]

[size=3][b]Bobby Grace DCT "Sun Coast" Series[/b] - Tour inspired stainless steel heads (7 models) that incorporate a fixed DCT (Distance Control Technology) insert that helps to compensate for energy loss (lost distance) that occurs on off-center struck putts...Street Price = $129. Availability is mid March. No pictures yet on these yet.

I hope that everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving break. Looking forward to sharing more stuff with you soon and hearing your feedback on what has been posted here.

Take care,

Reid Gorman
President
MacGregor Golf Company[/size]

Great pictures of the new line-up MT-PRO!!!! I love that gunmetal wedge!!!
Saw this in another post and just wanted to see if you had any info on Aaron and what he's playing right now.
[attachment=192732:post_143...753836_1.jpg]

EPIC SZ 10.5 Ozik 70M5 X
EPIC SZ 15 Ozik 80M5 X
Steelhead XR Pro 3i Tour-V X
Apex Pro 16 4i-9i C-Taper X
MD3 49.11S, 56.10S C-Taper X
PM Grind 60.06
Spalding TPM8
Chrome Soft X

[quote name='meyer7001' post='799247' date='Nov 22 2007, 03:48 PM']Great pictures of the new line-up MT-PRO!!!! I love that gunmetal wedge!!!
Saw this in another post and just wanted to see if you had any info on Aaron and what he's playing right now.
[attachment=192732:post_143...753836_1.jpg][/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like the new products!

Aaron plays Don White Grind muscle back irons. Very similar to the MT Pro-M design.

Regarding Aaron's status with MacGregor...he is being paid (contrary to many reports) to represent MacGregor through the end of the year. Aaron has not indicated at this point if he will be resigning with MacGregor. We would certainly like him to be on our team and we know he loves the irons. That's all I'm at liberty to say at this point.

Take care, Reid.

[quote name='mbaisley' post='798526' date='Nov 21 2007, 09:34 PM']I currently own over 30 sets of MacGregor irons, mostly Nicklaus/VIP/JNP variants, and every single set has diamonds on the faces. I think the diamonds are a MUST HAVE custom option on these new MT's. Satin chrome with diamond faces.... it doesn't get any more "MacGregor" than that!

I'll order a full set, 2-LW, satin chrome throughout, and order me a big GREEN and WHITE MacGregor staff bag to put them in. Please bring back the old bags, or some rendition of the old bags. They are the classiest, prettiest golf bags to ever grace the practice range at PGA Tour events.

Seriously, I have a set of custom grind 1025M's. When I placed my order, I got to speak directly with a guy at MacGrgor named Don Kilkenny. I hope he is still there. He was amazing. I took some pictures of my old Muirfield Customs and sent them to Don, and told him I wanted the toe and topline to look just like the old irons. They came out looking PERFECT. I got 2-LW, and they even custom stamped my wedges 54 and 61 degrees!!!! Oh, and they also have my initials "MB" stamped on every single club in big, bold, deep letters. They have satin chrome and they are by far and away the best set of irons I've ever hit, and I've hit everything.

PLEASE bring back that classic MacGregor look, Reid, and thanks for sharing your time and your thoughts with us here. This is AWESOME STUFF.

Regards,

Mike Baisley
Knoxville, TN[/quote]

Mike,

Can't say I've ever met someone with such a MacGregor collection! Wow, that's incredible. We are certainly headed down a path to provide you with the classic MacGregor look you are looking for, MT is the first step. I'm saving the diamonds for another product line that will launch in October 2008. That being said, Don White can make you a set of MT irons with diamonds on the face through our Custom Grind program...and yes, we've got a Green/White staff bag in the development pipeline (should be available around Master's timeframe).

Happy Thanksgiving...I've got to get off this computer now or my wife is going to kill me with a turkey carving knife.

Reid.

Reid....

Thanks very much! You certainly added some icing to the cake and making my Thanksgiving better than I thought possible. I had a wonderful day with family and I trust you and all the Golfwrx members and families did as well.

The photos of the new equipment is awesome. I agree that MacGregor is back on the way to being a real force in the industry. It is not very often a President of the company takes some of the advice of the customer to design it's new line of clubs. Thanks for listening and taking some of our own ideas to fruition.
As I have already told you and I don't mind repeating, I have been a real Mac fan for years and I look forward to putting your clubs into play next season.

Regards,
Mike Greca
Pittsburgh, PA

Wow! I can't stop drooling! Macgregor will surely make a comeback in my bag!

Fairway woods with custom lie angles!

Your choice of finish on wedges and irons - including gunmetal!

56 degrees with 8 degrees of bounce!

DVS and Bassara shafts as stock!

Premium Golf Pride DD2 grips as standard!

Bobby Grace Tour inspired stainless putters at $129!

Reid, will this madness ever end??!

One thing I would like everyone here to take close notice to.....

Reid mentioned that if there is something, almost anything you want, it may be accomplished and purchased through their exclusive custom program. Now... from what I recall, it is not cheap. However, you will have something that we all have asked for and could never get and that is pure, true custom clubs done by one of the best in the world, Don White. Now... try that with any other OEM out there!
Regardless of how much you may be willing to spend, Taylor Made, Callaway, Titleist, Cleveland, etc, call them and tell them the grind, finish, shaft, stampings, etc., that you want. I suspect their answer is NO
MacGregor is one company that will treat you like a tour pro if that is what you truly want.

Reid,

First- thanks for the pics and happy Thanksgiving!

What are the face angles going to be like in the drivers, fairways, and hybrids? Many manufacurers have taken a two-tier approach with respect to offering the more accomplished player a more square or open clubface, while also offering a 'draw' version for those that may need help getting the ball airborn or are fighting a slice. It would appear that there will be one offering for everyone. In the wishlist/suggestion box, I'd love to see the fairways and hybrids with a paintbreak on the hosel like a true "Tour" club that would facilitate custom orders and bending as necessary.

I think if MacGregor is going to be focused on capturing the better player again, such details that aren't offered at retail by other manufacturers might be a good way to entice people and to suggest that their needs for true OEM custom are attainable.

The pics get better and the wait seems longer. By far, the gear I'm most looking forward to trying.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

[quote name='teezoid' post='799470' date='Nov 22 2007, 09:11 PM']One thing I would like everyone here to take close notice to.....

Reid mentioned that if there is something, almost anything you want, it may be accomplished and purchased through their exclusive custom program. Now... from what I recall, it is not cheap. However, you will have something that we all have asked for and could never get and that is pure, true custom clubs done by one of the best in the world, Don White. Now... try that with any other OEM out there!
Regardless of how much you may be willing to spend, Taylor Made, Callaway, Titleist, Cleveland, etc, call them and tell them the grind, finish, shaft, stampings, etc., that you want. I suspect their answer is NO
MacGregor is one company that will treat you like a tour pro if that is what you truly want.[/quote]

Teezoid,

You bring up a great point. Don IS the best in the world at what he does. If you don't believe my opinion, read the following article that was in Sports Illustrated about 8 years ago. For whatever reason, the previous regime here wasn't interested about promoting Don's legend in the golf equipment industry. This regime feels differently. If anyone would like Don White to make a set of clubs or wedges for them, just contact me and we'll provide the details.

Thanks, Reid.

[b]When the game's best players are in the market for a perfect set of irons, they call on Don White…[/b]

[b][attachment=192808:Don_White.jpg]
[font="Times New Roman"]
[/font]The King of Clubs[/b], by Rick Lipsey, Sports Illustrated, circa 1999

If you could have anyone in the world make you a set of irons, whom would you choose? Most of us would probably select Karsten Solheim or Ely Callaway or maybe Roger Cleveland. But when Jack Nicklaus, Greg Norman and Arnold Palmer, along with a slew of other name players, were given their choice, they picked Don White.

If you have never heard of White, you're not alone. He's one of the best kept secrets in golf. White, 45, began hand grinding irons for the MacGregor Golf Company 25 years ago and is now the most highly admired artisan in the industry. Using only a lathe, White is able to transform nine chunks of steel into the best-looking, softest-feeling most evenly balanced set of forged irons money can buy.

White's virtuosity (he's also adept at sculpting the master models that are used for the mass production of irons) has made him neither rich nor famous, but his work is revered by club designers and the players who use his blades. In addition to Nicklaus, Norman and Palmer, players such as John Cook, Steve Stricker and Tom Weiskopf carry White grinds, while Amy Alcott, Paul Azinger, Ben Crenshaw, Tom Lehman, Nancy Lopez, Larry Mize, Chi Chi Rodriquez and Curtis Strange, among others, used them before signing endorsement deals with rival manufacturers. "Don has a gift from God," says Rodriquez, who used White-ground MacGregors from 1988 until 1993, when he signed a seven-figure deal with Callaway. "It's what the greats like Ruth, Picasso and Mozart all had – genius. Don's genius is in his hands."

Irons ground by White have won 11 (Now 12 after the 99 Masters) major championships, including this double grand slam – A pair of Masters by Nicklaus, two U.S. Opens by Strange, a couple of British Opens by Norman, and PGAs by Azinger and David Graham. Today, only a handful of pros use White's irons, but not because more don't want to. "A ton of guys on Tour have told me that they'd love to use Donny's sticks, but contractually, they can't," says Cook, who in 1994 joined MacGregor's staff largely because he was determined to play clubs made by White.

Some players are so high powered that they can play the clubs they prefer regardless of an affiliation with a manufacturer. Nicklaus (Nicklaus Golf) Norman (Cobra) and Palmer (Arnold Palmer Golf) fall into that category. "Don's the best: he's a great artisan," said Tom Crow, Cobra's chief of design, who in 1991 hired White to grind irons for Norman and stamp the Cobra name on them. Cobra doesn't make forged blades, but the Shark refuses to play with anything else.

Growing up on a cotton plantation in Leary, GA, only 24 miles west of Albany, where he now works and lives, White knew nothing about golf. "I'd seen a putter, I think, and a driver, too," he says, "but I had no idea what they were used for."

Along with his four brothers and two sisters, White was raised in a three-room house by his maternal grandparents. His grandfather, Joe (Doc) White, was a field hand. Roselle, his grandmother, also worked in the fields. Don has happy memories of those hardscrabble days. Money was tight, but not as tight as his family. Don's eyes tear up when he tells how he used to cuddle on Roselle's lap and listen to her read from the Bible. He says his grandfather "gave me my art sense. He could make something beautiful out of nothing." An expert craftsman, Joe White had a small work shed where he built wagons, furniture and toys. Don was usually at his side.

In 1968, having graduated from high school, White was uncertain about what to do next. He was a good student but didn't have the money to go to college. Instead, he took a job as a welder for the Lilliston Corp. and moved in with his wife-to-be, Marion. Life was good. Too good. White was more interested in partying than in work, and in 1970, he lost his job. Fortunately, a short time later, MacGregor moved part of its production facilities from Cincinnatti to Albany. A friend told White about possible job openings, and he soon had a position polishing and grinding iron heads in the company's prestigious custom-club Department.

Other companies, such as Hogan and Wilson, also have storied traditions in forged irons, but no one matched MacGregor during the heyday of the forged club, from the mid-1930s to the mid-70s. MacGregor recruited toolmakers from around the country to grind its clubs. At the same time, Toney Penna, a Tour player turned club designer who represented the company on the circuit, recruited a glittering and enormous staff of pros that included Tommy Armour, Jimmy Demaret, Byron Nelson, Louise Suggs, Craig Wood, and even Ben Hogan, who played MacGregors until he started his own equipment company in 1953.

Working for such a company rejuvenated White. For the first time since leaving his grandparents, he was happy. "I was raised from the dead," he says. "All the shapes and styles, the different cuts we had to do, the challenge excited me."

White's supervisor was Art Emerson, one of the best grinders in the business. Early on Emerson recognized White's gift, and, unbeknownst to White, began grooming him as his successor by giving him more and more responsibility. By 1980, White was handling all of the important orders, including those from Nicklaus, a MacGregor Staff Member from 1962 until 1992. "I always told Donny, 'it's the little things that make a great iron,' says Emerson, 74, who retired from MacGregor in 1987 after 37 years at MacGregor. "I'd tell him, 'Nobody has ever reached perfection, but that shouldn't stop you from trying.'"

Perfection for most amateurs usually comes in the form of a forgiving cast iron. The best players still prefer forgings even though, according to White, it is becoming difficult to find a well-made forged club these days. "I don't know how most of the stuff for sale can even be used," says White. Even lots of the Tour guys don't know it, but they're playing with junk."

Those are strong words, but White can back them up. He has that strong a reputation among clubmakers. For example, Jack Wullkotte has been Nicklaus' personal club designer since 1964. For the last 19 years, Wullkotte has allowed no one but White to grind the Golden Bear's irons. "I've been around clubmaking for about 50 years," says Wullkotte, "and no one has a better eye than Don White. For irons, his opinion is [i]the[/i] opinion."

According to White, the most important aspect of making an iron is getting the correct smearing – the blending of the lines and protrusions on the club head so that the weighting is even while the club remains pleasing to the eye. White says irons' shortcomings are usually on the top of the toe, in the heel, and in the slope between the hosel and the topline. The worst built part of most irons, White says, is the sole. The leading and back edges of many are not round enough, causing the irons to dig into the turf instead of sliding over it. "Amateurs don't look for such things," says White, "but to pros it's the small things that count."

White tailors his irons to each customer's personal, and often demanding, specifications. Norman, for instance, likes his irons with no offset, with the leading edge "killed" or extra rounded, and the sole slightly cambered from front to back so that the front edge is higher off the ground than the back edge. Palmer uses the cast clubs that his company manufactures – after White has ground down the toe and rounded the sole.

"Nicklaus, I don't see how he plays with his specs," says White. Nicklaus prefers almost no offset, a flat sole and a straight leading edge, features that would make most amateurs hit lots of fat shots.

White spends up to three days to finish an important order. First the client selects one of MacGregor's raw club heads, which are made by Cornell Forge in Chicago. Then, after adding a shaft and grip and checking each head's loft and lie, White grinds, stamps, polishes and buffs. That he can match every club in a set is perhaps his greatest talent. "Imagine Rodin making a single masterpiece," says Clay Long, a prominent club-design consultant. "Don can give you a set of nine identical masterpieces."

The only thing that isn't fine is White's own game. He finally took up golf 10 years ago and expected instant success. He remains an 18 handicapper. "I found out that it's not so easy to hit the ball just because it's sitting still," White said recently after shooting 46 for nine holes at Turner Golf Course in Albany. "It's got to be technique. Look at Fred Couples. How does he get such reaction out of the ball? I've got muscles like him. I'd sure like to find the secret."

White paused, then added, "Maybe I need new irons."

Dear Reid,

Any chance you can confirm a reconduction of Aarons contract for 2008. I m sure if you keep him on board you wont be disspointed as he has already proved. Lots of good stuff (majors, ...) Im sure still on the way.

I had previously asked MacGregor for an identcal reproduction of aarons 2007 irons and received a quote of 8000$ the set. I havent got that type of budget. Any chance through you we can get a reasonable price for a reproduction of his new clubs or can you confirm that they are the same as your new MT Pro M ?

Regards,

Olivier

Reid,

Congratulations, The PRO-C irons are going to be a [b]HUGE[/b] success!
Every golfer from 0 to 14 handicap are going to play those sticks.
The only problems I foresee with the PRO-M sticks are that #1 they are too gorgeous to hit and #2 they might slow down the pace of play while everone gawks at them on every tee box. True works of art.

I would like to volunteer my services to help test your new product line. (free of charge of course) :) <---- my best, cheesiest smile.
I am sure you have a lot of Professional feedback to date , i could help provide the low handicapper feedback, think of it as the die-hard working-man golfer feedback. <--- guys you cant fault me for trying.

Again, Congratulations on the new line-up, Thank you for all of the time you have giving us, I truely appreciate it and look forward to supporting Macgregor Golf.

David

ahem ahem, keep me in mind for product testing.... :D

Reid,

Thank you for taking time to check in on the posts from time to time. I hope you are finding the feedback valuable as you move ahead with your new product line. It looks fantastic and am anxious to check it out.

Most of the discussion has been centered around the product itself. Over the past several years, companies like Srixon and Bridgestone have been putting out excellent product, but have been held back, I believe, due to lack of product demos and general consumer awareness. While the initial reaction on this board appears to be overwhelmingly supportive, there will be at least a portion of potential customers that won't purchase based on pics alone, they will want to demo the product.

Any thoughts you can share on plans for a demo program? Would golfclubdemo.com be an option? Perhaps providing 6 irons on a demo basis, secured by credit card plus shipping, etc? Hopefully, targeting green grass accounts vs. big box (where knowledge and ability to explain the product can be spotty). Again, there have been some very good product introduced the last several years, but they seem to really lack the exposure for them to gain market share.

Best of luck as you move MacGregor back to its roots. It appears to be a sound move.