Any Long Term Srixon 785 Irons Reviews??

tigerfan23

@Indygolfer85 you are overthinking it.
Get the shaft that gives you the best feel and dispersion. Adjust spin by adjusting the loft if you need to.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

IMO that might actually have you spinning too much outdoors. My spin goes up by 1000+ rpm hitting off grass on trackman. My 745 with TI X100 was between 7500-7800 RPM off grass a couple of weeks ago. Indoors it's between 5500-6500 depending on what mat and what ball. Basically, I don't trust indoor fitting numbers unless it's a mat that has been proven to provide accurate numbers such as TXGs. I'd go with the one that fit you better. Don't worry about 300 rpm it's nothing.

Thought I'd need the extra forgiveness of the 585s. And In reg flex at 105.

Ive lost 1-2 clubs the last few years from a bad back and now 60 years ouchy old. lol

When fit I found the 785 much more consistent as to strike pattern (I come from the inside).

Also was fit into the Modus Tour S 120 soft stepped once. Flat lie 1 *

Cannot be happier 🙂 Broke par for the first time in 20 years last month and have a 76/77 in my last two rounds of golf.

HCP coming down. Age going up! lol

Edited by Forged5
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue St Max (10.5) - Tensei Blue 55 s
Ping G425 5 wood (set @ 16.5*)- Alta CB 
Ping G425 7 wood (19*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 4 hybrid (22*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 5 hybrid (26*) - Alta CB 

Srixon Z 785 irons A-8 / 585 mkll 7-6 irons  - Recoil SmacWrap 
Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Inovai 6 spud neck 

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - yellow
“ 6.3 index and going down!!! 63 years old and going up!!!” Lol

Found a pretty good deal on a set of 4-AW 785 with Modus 120. So far the results are as expected. Great feel, accurate and good spin into the greens.

Has me looking forward to the upcoming releases.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Absolutely. Anyone saying they are low spin is getting their numbers from a wonky set up or don't know what they're on about... or both. I'm a skinny-fat Furyk/Webb type playing 745s with graphite shafts and have no trouble bringing them to a stop on the greens and controlling them in the wind.

I'm no - oh hey what are the tour pros playing - however :-) I'm pretty sure Lowry, GMac and the others playing z7s wouldn't be doing so if they were serving up knuckle balls. They may be on the large size and have healthier lofts, but they are not Cally Apex or TM 790s, not by a long shot.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Got my clubs on Monday and after two range sessions and one round, I am very impressed. I seemed to find the center of the clubface pretty consistently, and when I do miss it, the falloff is negligible. Mishits are not very punishing. I ended up with the Modus 120 shafts. First time I have ever used Nippon shafts, and I really like them. The word that comes to mind is smooth. They are very smooth feeling.

These clubs seem to be a full club longer than my Apex CF16s. Must be the shaft, since the Srixons are about 1° weaker throughout the set. I am well aware of the "New Club Boner" effect, but these sticks seem to be the real deal!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have being gaming my new set for almost two months now. Around 12-14 rounds. It took a few rounds to get used to them (distances, ball flight, misshits, etc.) but now I can say I am having the best iron game in years. Gained one, one and a half club distance, compared to my MP-25/MP5 combo, although this was not something I was looking for. To me they feel great (similar to MP5s) and are very forgiving compared to both MP5s and MP25s,

Z585 5 iron is a bit hotter off the face. I adjusted loft 1 degree weeker and no gapping issues. Well may be with my Titleist AP3 4 iron :))

Still learning clubs reaction to different type of shots, knock downs, etc. (definetely launch higher than my Mizzys) and spin (lower than Mizzys), but the latter has not been an issue at all. Very happy so far.

Cobra AEROJET LS GD AD IZ 6
TM Stealth 15 Ventus Red 6

Callaway UW 19 Hzrdus Smoke Black
Cobra King Utility 4i MMT
Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-7i / ZX7 8-PW SteelFiber i95
Cleveland CBX2 50 / RTX6 56 /RTX6 60
Cobra King Vintage Stingray / Scotty Cameron Newport 2

So...holy guacamolito...

Just took my new 785/585 blended set out today for a first hit and to determine my gapping, and holy crap are these long. Honestly, it's put me in a gapping conundrum. My 4-6 are 585's and 7-PW are 785's.

I figured my distance would drop as I was coming from a set of cobra forged tecs (7 iron is 29.5 deg), but my carry on the 7 iron ended up being exactly the same at 180 yds. Even the ball speed went up from 120 to 126 mph. Sorry, I don't have all the launch numbers, but certainly surprising.

Down to the 585's, the numbers were even more dramatic.. My 5 iron normally went around 195 carry (128 mph ball speed) on my Cobra Forged Tecs (23 degrees), the 585's were at 210 carry at 134 mph ball speed (24 deg loft). Obviously, this was not a controlled test and the shafts may play a role (went from Modus 120s to $-taper S) but was a lot easier to get big distances even with slowing down my swing. Gapping is going to be a bit of a headache, but super easy irons to hit nonetheless. The numbers were from GC2 at the PGA superstore.

I did want to disclose (at the risk of taking away all my credibility), that I am fairly new to golf (though not new to swinging sports), and while my iron play is actually quite decent, my findings may not be terribly valuable to better players. One thing I did want to convey was that I felt pretty intimidated to try these as I thought they would be "above my level," but they really were easy to hit. I previously used i200's (and the aforementioned cobras), and the 785's are easier to hit in my opinion, so I don't think higher HC players should feel apprehensive about trying these.

• Like 1

Not completely new, it's been a few months now. Also, is that distance unusual? Pros likey don't swing with everything they have, and my more experienced buddy who got me into golf is definitely longer than me if he wills it. The machine that I used today is a GC2 from PGA superstore, on turf. Not that I have any need to prove anything, but I'm happy to film it and send it to you if you so desire, but that certainly wasn't the point of my earlier post.

Edited by sadclevelandsports

• 2 months later...

I’ve been playing for the Z785s for almost a year now. They look great at address and in the bag.  Of course they feel great to hit and don’t dig too much through the turf; a very fluid feel (if you tend to take bigger divots).  They do feel great when hitting from the center but of course you’ll know when you miss hit it. Also, the lofts may be stronger than similar sized irons but I find the spin is more than high enough to hold firm greens even in longer irons. They will show a bit of bag chatter (being fully forged). Hope this helps ! 

Just want to toss in my opinion here. I played a set of z785s for just about this entire season (up until about 3 weeks ago) and I really liked them quite a bit, but also definitely did not love them. I ordered them direct from Srixon with the lofts weakened to match my previous set (46* PW, 4* gaps going down from there) so I didn't personally think they were way too long as others have stated.

My main issue/concern was with the sole. It just flat out doesn't work for me as much as I tried to make it work. I played some really good golf with these clubs this year, probably some of my best golf ever, but I've come to terms with the fact that I'm too much of a picker/shallow divot player to play these consistently well enough. I recently switched to the Mizuno JPX 921 Tours and immediately noticed a massive difference in quality of strike on almost every single club. 

Might be something to consider if you're looking into buying a set of z7 series clubs, especially if you don't have the ability to hit them off the turf (as many don't). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ani5009 said:

Just want to toss in my opinion here. I played a set of z785s for just about this entire season (up until about 3 weeks ago) and I really liked them quite a bit, but also definitely did not love them. I ordered them direct from Srixon with the lofts weakened to match my previous set (46* PW, 4* gaps going down from there) so I didn't personally think they were way too long as others have stated.

My main issue/concern was with the sole. It just flat out doesn't work for me as much as I tried to make it work. I played some really good golf with these clubs this year, probably some of my best golf ever, but I've come to terms with the fact that I'm too much of a picker/shallow divot player to play these consistently well enough. I recently switched to the Mizuno JPX 921 Tours and immediately noticed a massive difference in quality of strike on almost every single club. 

Might be something to consider if you're looking into buying a set of z7 series clubs, especially if you don't have the ability to hit them off the turf (as many don't). 

Can you compare the 921 Tours vs Z785s in terms of forgiveness and distance? I've been looking at switching to the 921 Tours from Z785s. Also, are you playing the same shaft in the 921 Tours that you had in the Z785s?

Thanks!

I have been playing a set of 765's this year with NS Pro Modus shafts. I really like them. 

My prior irons were a set of tour van i506's with NV Pro 105 graphite shafts. I prefer the feel of those shafts against most steel shafts, which has kept me going back to that set of irons for many years. 

The look at address is very similar between the older i506 and the much newer z765's. They're about equally forgiving. I do like the v sole of the newer clubs as my miss can be a bit fat. 

If I could easily swap the z765 heads onto the NV Pro shafts I think I'd really love that combination. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

7 hours ago, TJacks1908 said:

Can you compare the 921 Tours vs Z785s in terms of forgiveness and distance? I've been looking at switching to the 921 Tours from Z785s. Also, are you playing the same shaft in the 921 Tours that you had in the Z785s?

Thanks!

Same exact shafts in both yes, and I got the lofts bent so they match exactly as well. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the forgiveness of the 921s, I would say theyre probably a hair less forgiving than the 785s but definitely not an unplayable amount. As for distance, the difference is really negligible for me. I could see the 921s being a touch shorter, but my striking has been a lot more pure so I think that’s covering up some of the difference

• Thanks 1

Saw a brand new set of 785s today for $799.... I'm feeling like I should have jumped....

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

11 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

Saw a brand new set of 785s today for $799.... I'm feeling like I should have jumped....

Are you left and play x stiff? My friend has a brand new never used set just chilling. 

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

11 hours ago, Bigjim1022 said:

Where?

Roger Dunn in Santa Ana CA

2 hours ago, UnderPar18 said:

Are you left and play x stiff? My friend has a brand new never used set just chilling. 

I am not, righty and stiff....

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

On 11/3/2020 at 7:22 AM, ani5009 said:

Keep in mind that you would have weakened the lofts by 2 degrees in some cases, which will raise the leading edge and move the bounce further up. Probably not the best adjustments on the V sole for a picker. 

Edited by scooterhd2
  • Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

4 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Keep in mind that you would have weakened the lofts by 2 degrees in some cases, which will raise the leading edge and move the bounce further up. Probably not the best adjustments on the V sole for a picker. 

Yep, you are 100% correct. The sole/bounce is for sure the biggest reason they didn't work for me. I'm sure they would be exceptional for certain swing-types, just not for me. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2020 at 10:48 AM, scooterhd2 said:

@scooterhd2can you elaborate why?

also, what is your opinion on what quantifies as a picker? Like what AOA?

3 hours ago, therealjonzone said:

@scooterhd2can you elaborate why?

also, what is your opinion on what quantifies as a picker? Like what AOA?

Loft and bounce have a direct 1:1 relationship. When you weaken the lofts, you are increasing the angle in relation to the hosel and shaft. This will also increase the bounce angle by the same amount. As you bend the club weaker, the leading edge raises up higher off the ground.  So 2 degrees weaker is 2 degrees more bounce and the edge higher off the ground. Usually, pickers do not like the leading edge sitting up, as a strike with little divot will tend to be thin, and you feel forced to hit down on the ball to hit it with anything other than the bottom groove. With the V sole, weakening lofts also alters the low point of the club. Its now further forward and the back half of the sole sits closer to the ground. You get less V and more __/ sole shape. This effectively plays as a wider sole, which pickers also typically do not like as much. 

image.png.6b0ee49151cfe5564f5d7a7e8a347d17.png

Edited by scooterhd2
  • Like 2

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

2 hours ago, BigD said:

Has anyone tried the 785’s with PX LZ shafts?  

Was fit into this combo at the beginning of the year, PXLZ 6.5.  I really like this combo, great feel and nice high penetrating flight.  I can also buy them lower if needed.  I know the knock in these sticks is that they are too low spin for some.  I did not experience that at all.  My distances are consistent and I’ve even managed to spin a few back this year.  Great feel!  Worth noting I played V1/V1x for a ball this year.  

• Thanks 1

I already have the Z585 but Golf Town in Canada here has put the Z785 on sale for $750 USD converted,  with taxes in for brandnew set of 4 iron to Pw. I am now thinking of getting a set. I tried out the irons of my buddy and they were so amazing to hit.  He loves his irons so much and had them for a whole season this year. 

I came from GI irons all my life and when I first saw the Z785 at address, I was terrified that I won't hit the ball properly. I was surprised at how forgiving these irons are, from the long irons to the wedge. 

Edited by msg
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 11:28 PM, Bigjim1022 said:

Was fit into this combo at the beginning of the year, PXLZ 6.5.  I really like this combo, great feel and nice high penetrating flight.  I can also buy them lower if needed.  I know the knock in these sticks is that they are too low spin for some.  I did not experience that at all.  My distances are consistent and I’ve even managed to spin a few back this year.  Great feel!  Worth noting I played V1/V1x for a ball this year.  

To piggy back off of Bigjim. I have the same set. absolutely love this set up for my swing. I was very loyal to the Srixon XV golf balls. Switched to Pro V1 and this combo has been deadly for me. Shot my best three rounds ever. Couple of Cons and small ones. If you are playing a soggy course that V Sole will dig a hole to china and the bag chatter shows. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 6:34 AM, Bluemile said:

To piggy back off of Bigjim. I have the same set. absolutely love this set up for my swing. I was very loyal to the Srixon XV golf balls. Switched to Pro V1 and this combo has been deadly for me. Shot my best three rounds ever. Couple of Cons and small ones. If you are playing a soggy course that V Sole will dig a hole to china and the bag chatter shows. 

Why would a V sole that presumably creates more bounce dig a hole any greater than a typical non-v sole’d iron?