Any Long Term Srixon 785 Irons Reviews??

tigerfan23

5 hours ago, Burnsy22 said:

Why would a V sole that presumably creates more bounce dig a hole any greater than a typical non-v sole’d iron?

I dont no, but from my experience and down here in Charlston when course are more on the damp side these soles felt like they digged deeper than my previous Mizuons 59, 919f. It quite possibly be my swing is different than yours. I have been know to be a superintendents nightmare from divot standpoint. It was more in jest, but carry on. 

• Haha 1

I played the last year with Callaway X Forged 5-7, and APex MB 8-PW.  Got fitted twice, once with the Mizuno Rep and once with a fitter at local golf store. Both times it came out with a bit of a surprise. Thought I would be a stiff flex, but the they had me in $ Taper 130 X, and while I wasn't a massive fan, I ended up going with the Project X 6.5. I am 6'4 and tend to be fairly steep and load the club pretty hard.  The X forged and MB set was very consistant distance wise but punished miss hits. 

I just found a set of Z785 heads and sold the heads off my Callaway set. I was going to just install the 6.5 Shafts into the Z785's, but have been thinking about other options.  Practicing the 6.5's are fairly hard on the elbow that is for sure. and out on the course, full commitment is needed to get everything out of them.  Being that these irons may be a bit low spinning, would it be advised to maybe try something a little easier to hit? I found I got the best out of the 6.5's in the hitting bays and on the course when I go at it fully, but being almost 45 and not playing as much as I like I don't seem to be able to repeat that kind of effort on every iron shot, and the results tend to be fairly low heat seeking missiles. 

Any thoughts/shaft recommendations would be great, or maybe I just need a golf shrink.....

My initial shafts thoughts were these....Project X 6.0, Project X PXI 6.5 (although discontinued there are some out there) AMT White Tour X100, KBS C Taper S, (Maybe KBS C Taper Lite X)

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 12:20 PM, Burnsy22 said:

I played the last year with Callaway X Forged 5-7, and APex MB 8-PW.  Got fitted twice, once with the Mizuno Rep and once with a fitter at local golf store. Both times it came out with a bit of a surprise. Thought I would be a stiff flex, but the they had me in $ Taper 130 X, and while I wasn't a massive fan, I ended up going with the Project X 6.5. I am 6'4 and tend to be fairly steep and load the club pretty hard.  The X forged and MB set was very consistant distance wise but punished miss hits. 

I just found a set of Z785 heads and sold the heads off my Callaway set. I was going to just install the 6.5 Shafts into the Z785's, but have been thinking about other options.  Practicing the 6.5's are fairly hard on the elbow that is for sure. and out on the course, full commitment is needed to get everything out of them.  Being that these irons may be a bit low spinning, would it be advised to maybe try something a little easier to hit? I found I got the best out of the 6.5's in the hitting bays and on the course when I go at it fully, but being almost 45 and not playing as much as I like I don't seem to be able to repeat that kind of effort on every iron shot, and the results tend to be fairly low heat seeking missiles. 

Any thoughts/shaft recommendations would be great, or maybe I just need a golf shrink.....

My initial shafts thoughts were these....Project X 6.0, Project X PXI 6.5 (although discontinued there are some out there) AMT White Tour X100, KBS C Taper S, (Maybe KBS C Taper Lite X)

Honestly, having messed around with the shaft game a lot, I think you just need to do another fitting. For what it’s worth, the shaft optimizer puts SO many people in $taper X. I’m starting to think it’s broken. 

I’ve learned that I despise that shaft. Though it does reduce the left miss for me, I just can’t time it at all. 

if you guess with shafts it will lead you to blaming bad rounds on a bad fit and keep searching etc. I was struggling with my x100 and overcooked draws. I went for a fitting and ended up in modus 120x which makes no sense in theory but the draw was reduced by about 50%. So it goes to show you the fit may result something you didn’t expect..  

anyways the 785 are nice club. I’d get fit with that head if you can because the spin and height profile are a bit different. Could affect shaft

So I’d go either PX 6.0 or PXLZ 6.5.  I did a fitting at the beginning of the year and was also fitted into PX 6.5’s.  Now I love PX shafts but the 6.5’s made me, like you, work for every shot.  The LZ’s give me the same weight but better feel.  I can go at the ball with a smooth swing, hard swing or dial it down for a knock down and so far I’ve had no issues.  Going into the fitting I was thinking PX 6.0 and I may still build a set of 785’s with them, i can’t help but wonder what a set of 785’s with PX would be like!  But the 785’s with the LZs for me are pretty damn good.  

Of course you could always do another fitting too 😊

35 minutes ago, Bigjim1022 said:

So I’d go either PX 6.0 or PXLZ 6.5.  I did a fitting at the beginning of the year and was also fitted into PX 6.5’s.  Now I love PX shafts but the 6.5’s made me, like you, work for every shot.  The LZ’s give me the same weight but better feel.  I can go at the ball with a smooth swing, hard swing or dial it down for a knock down and so far I’ve had no issues.  Going into the fitting I was thinking PX 6.0 and I may still build a set of 785’s with them, i can’t help but wonder what a set of 785’s with PX would be like!  But the 785’s with the LZs for me are pretty damn good.  

Of course you could always do another fitting too 😊

PXI 6.5's or 7.0's be too odd with the weight difference? I know they are disco'd but I can find both of them for a fair bit less.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Burnsy22 said:

PXI 6.5's or 7.0's be too odd with the weight difference? I know they are disco'd but I can find both of them for a fair bit less.

Hmmm I hadn’t thought of that.  I’d bet the PXi in 6.5 would be a pretty good compromise given the price difference.  I actually have a 6.0 in my 23° Adam’s hybrid.  It works well with the set and it doesn’t feel odd at all.  

I’d hesitate to go 7.0 though, I think you’d be heading into the same territory of having to work to hard to get the results you’re looking for. 

I feel you’re pain though, I’m 42.  So the idea of not working too hard is really appealing also! 😂

48 minutes ago, Burnsy22 said:

Would Project PX Flighted 6.0's work? With the 355 Tip anyone know the weights on these?

I see you’ve rather disregarded my above comment. I would seriously advise getting fit. You are straight up taking a shot in the dark here. The other option is grabbing a few sets of used shafts and installing different options in a few of the heads. It’s pretty easy to tell what you like the feel of best. 

Just picked up some 785s after gaming the 745s multiple times.  I can already tell these are promising and will be a great iron for me once I get more comfortable with them.  Really liking the Modus 120 in them, the weight is good and my body doesn't feel torn up afterward.  It's nice to be able to hit long irons comfortably, they are a real weapon when you need them.  Very happy so far.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

3 hours ago, Burnsy22 said:

Would Project PX Flighted 6.0's work? With the 355 Tip anyone know the weights on these?

I found the flighted PX to be a very different animal from the original PX and I hated the feel of them.  I can’t remember the specs but I “think” they had progressive weighting.  I could be wrong on that, I may be thinking of the original Rifle flighted.  

Would they fit? Sure, I’m pretty sure the 785’s are 355 hosels.  I’d still go PX 6.0 or PXi over the flighted though. 

21 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Just picked up some 785s after gaming the 745s multiple times.  I can already tell these are promising and will be a great iron for me once I get more comfortable with them.  Really liking the Modus 120 in them, the weight is good and my body doesn't feel torn up afterward.  It's nice to be able to hit long irons comfortably, they are a real weapon when you need them.  Very happy so far.

They really are great clubs.  I went into this season really wanting to find an iron set of stick with for a few years.  I’m pretty sure I found them in these. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burnsy22 said:

I didn’t disregard it, just I don’t think a fitting is an option with this head, maybe the ZX7 soon will be in stock but the 785 isn’t an option.

I’d be really surprised if you couldn’t find a fitter who had the 785 head still. I just got a set of 785s and wanted to get new shafts too. Went to the closest fitter/builder - who hasn’t even worked with Srixon since 2019 - and he still had the fitting head and let me test out different shafts to decide. 

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Accra TZ5 65 M4

Nike Covert 2.0 15* UST VTS Silver 7S

Titleist U510 2 iron Atmos HB TS Blue 8X

Srixon Z785 4-A Project X LZ 6.0

Nike Engage Square 54* Project X 6.0

Nike Engage Toe Sweep 58* Project X 6.0

Odyssey Stroke Lab Black 7

Bridgestone Tour B X

10 hours ago, Burnsy22 said:

I have 5 blank heads and the 7 iron was missing from the set of 785 heads I bought. So I had to buy a separate 7 iron, that included a modus 120 S flex shaft. And to me it feels too light. I believe the the modus 120 S comes in at 114 grams. I am thinking I need at least 120g shafts to feel right with this head.

What grip is on it and what grip do you play?  I have stayed away from the Modus 120 stiff for the same reasons you mentioned but when I came across this current set that was barely used, I couldn't pass them up.  The butt end of the 120 is smaller than most other shafts which was a feel I had trouble getting used to with standard grips..  This set has midsize Tour velvets.  They dont feel much larger than my normal standard size grips and they add a little weight to the club so they don't have that overly light feel.  It may be worth a shot with a heavier grip, or midsize if you can.  JAT.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Went and tried the 7 iron at the range with the 120 s modus, it didn’t go well. Granted it isn’t my normal 1/2” over length and 2 degrees upright like I need, but the shaft felt way too light. Also my back hasn’t been great and it was cold blah blah blah. 
After  that brief experiment I think I need weight to be similar to where my 6.5 px’s are for sure. 
The project x lz’s 6.5 could be an option but would have to go new. Also just saw a set of Modus 130s which are 124 gram and may be a decent compromise. And the price isn’t too shabby. 

FWIW I was fit into the PX 6.5 last year, and the X-Forged head generated almost 1k RPM more spin than the Z785. You could always experiment a bit with golf ball choice or weakening the lofts slightly if you like the Srixons. 

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

3 hours ago, GooseHook said:

FWIW I was fit into the PX 6.5 last year, and the X-Forged head generated almost 1k RPM more spin than the Z785. You could always experiment a bit with golf ball choice or weakening the lofts slightly if you like the Srixons. 

I did that this year.  Tried premium Bridgestone, Srixon and Titleist.  Settled on ProV1/x.  I didn’t have any issues with spin but know that’s a thing with these clubs.  I even played with the Top Flite gamer urethane and had good results. 

17 minutes ago, Bigjim1022 said:

I did that this year.  Tried premium Bridgestone, Srixon and Titleist.  Settled on ProV1/x.  I didn’t have any issues with spin but know that’s a thing with these clubs.  I even played with the Top Flite gamer urethane and had good results. 

ProV1x is a great choice for if you want ball speed and the extra spin. I play the Tour BX myself but probably had my best stretch of golf this year with the softer, spinner BXS. 

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

1 hour ago, GooseHook said:

ProV1x is a great choice for if you want ball speed and the extra spin. I play the Tour BX myself but probably had my best stretch of golf this year with the softer, spinner BXS. 

I might have to revisit the Bridgestone balls.  I don’t feel like I was swinging all that well when I tested them and I thought they felt too soft off the driver...is it spring yet? 😂

10 hours ago, Bigjim1022 said:

I might have to revisit the Bridgestone balls.  I don’t feel like I was swinging all that well when I tested them and I thought they felt too soft off the driver...is it spring yet? 😂

It is in the Southern Hemisphere.  🙂

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors