2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tour issued Callaway Apex Pro 19' "Dot" Iron Pics and differences (comparison Pics added Page 3)

easyyy

Great shaft! I could play X100 or 6.5, but I’m more partial to the 6.5

let me know how they play

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Need to be careful when looking for a used set. Ordered one advertised as Dot version, but they weren't. Worked out for the best though, ended up finding some double dot raw ones and they are on their way.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

Hey guys,

Long time lurker but first-time poster. Thought I would share my thoughts on these irons:

Last spring I was in the market for a new set of irons to replace my long overdue Mizuno MP-67's with DG X100's. While I don't have the game I use to, I still very much prefer the look of blades. My fitter and I quickly ruled out blades for my new irons given the quality of today's forged cavity back players irons. After hitting each manufacturers irons in that category I quickly narrowed it down to the Pro DOTs. I didn’t know anything about them prior to hitting them. Not only did they fit my eye, like the thinner top line but as many have already said they felt very solid/soft. As for the shafts, I ended up with TT Elevate Tour X (122G), for me this shaft was easy to swing, I could really smooth it and get great distance or could jump on it and it would respond/hold up well, not to mention it felt the smoothest/softest to me. As for ball flight, I already could hit it high with the X100's and while the Elevate shaft is considered Mid-high launch, to my surprise I didn't find it to balloon on me and could hit it different trajectories. Finally, not only did this setup look/feel the best to me, but the Trackman data that the fitter had backed up my feelings so for me it was a great experience and an easy purchase. Having played them for a year now I couldn't be happier with the look, feel and playability of these Pro DOT's with TT Elevate Tour shaft and would encourage those looking at this category of iron to give these a real chance.

~Ryan

• Like 1

I am attempting to put together my dream combo set for s**ts and giggles. I picked up 7-PW in Apex MB. I found an Apex Pro Dot 6 iron on CPO. I initially was going to do the standard Apex Pro in 4 & 5. But, now I am starting to second guess that as I don't want a huge variance in playability through the set. Problem is, it is damn near impossible to find individual irons. It's my summer project so I have some time to wait.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Hey Spoolin, pretty impressive first post. I'm sure I will be one of many to say welcome aboard.

I am also impressed your fitter had these available to try, with the dot's being as impressive as they are I'm not surprised you chose them, and have played them for a year. Hopefully you don't get tempted to replace them as so many of us have done, seems like a popular thing around here to sell off our favourites. Then buy them back a few times. lol

I can remember heading to the golf shop and trying numerous 7 irons, mostly GI and SGI. Place was empty and I able to help myself to many a club, not really finding anything that wowed me I kept looking, they had a non dot Pro 7 iron in the demo bag, figured I have hit everything else might as well try this. I hit the pro 7 better than anything I tried that day, seemed weird but I liked it. They also had a 2018 forged in the demo bag, I had similar results hitting it. The 18 forged felt softer though. I did this same trial a week or 2 later and had the same results. So I started researching the Apex Pro's and I found this thread Easyyy had started on the Dot's. All it took was for Easyyy, to say they were one of the softest irons he has hit, that was enough to convince me to find a set. Thanks Easyyy.

I was able to find a set on the BST with some PX LZ 6.5's for a fair price. I have only hit them at a heated indoor/outdoor range a few times, and was quite happy with my purchase. Found some 18 forged H heads as well, going to be a fun spring hopefully , once some normality returns.

Probably time to find a back up set Ryan, that seems to be a common thing to do around here as well

/\/\/\/\

Appreciate the warm welcome and kind words Stonewalled!

Like I had mentioned, I didn't know anything about the DOT's let alone the regular pros but after hitting them and feeling them compared to other options in real time it was clear to me these were amazing. Some might think I was foolish to place the order after the session but I did! That then lead me to doing some research on them (after the purchase, ) and quickly realized there were not many reviews at that time (May 2019) and they were more of a limited production iron. So after the fact, I realized how lucky I was that he had these as an option but then again he is probably one of the best fitters in Central, OH.

No chance I am giving these up, not to mention I tend to hang on to sticks for awhile. You're right, might be in my best interest to start piecing together another/backup set!

For those looking for more pics/information on these here are some comparison pics against my old MP-67's. In this order, Wedge, 8 iron, and 7 iron (I think). Sorry for the huge pics!

9SBI6X260YBR.jpg

E8K7PV35BMCI.jpg

QCQFHHU1BXCT.jpg~Ryan

According to Callaways website, the Pri Dot irons are not available. I'm guessing it was a short run.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

I got the Dot 6 iron I ordered in today. My goodness is it a great looking head. Now, just need to find a 4 & 5.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

difference between single/double dot heads? I skimmed the whole thread and could not find the answer? Please advise, thank you...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

Here are few pics of a Single Dot Raw 7 iron and a Double Dot Raw (still in wrapper) 7 iron...most noticeable difference is the groove count (15 grooves Single Dot 7 iron vs 18 grooves Double Dot 7 iron). As @J13 mentioned, The Double Dots are also a touch heavier. Once I shaft the Double Dots and get em a little “patina love” I’ll post comp. pics of my raw MB’s, the Single Dots and the Double Dots.

J0Y1BTH35N6W.jpeg

M2HOPUXCT00D.jpeg

9EAXLM7VZS3J.jpeg

• Like 2

So, my hunt for Apex Pro Dot 4 & 5 irons isn't going real well. I would love to round out this combo set with dots. But, I was looking at the non dot specs and the lofts look to be only different by 1 degree. So, hypothetically, if I get the non dots and just have them bent 1 degree weak, will I be seeing any major issues going from a non cup face 6 iron to cup face in the 4 and 5? Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing to have the additional help in the longer irons? Or, would I be looking at a major difference in feel?

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

• 7 months later...

So I have some questions here actually. I have ready through 6 or 7 pages of this thread just gaining more knowledge on these clubs (and because who doesn’t love a good gear dive!? Am I right!?) and I haven’t come across anyone mentioning the “non-dot” heads in a raw finish. 

but i have in my hands, a 4 and 5 iron that are raw that came as part of a new, unhit combo set with some raw apex MB’s. Just wondering what the deal is on these two heads. Not a single or double dot on the hosel. They have pretty minimal offset for a long iron. (and I hate offset so I am very picky on this)

I guess I’m just curious as to the details of these heads and if anyone else has experience on them! I’ll add some pictures here shortly!

• 1 year later...
On 4/8/2019 at 9:49 AM, RyanBarathWRX said:

Heres my take...

Are these new Dot versions way different than retail? **

YES 100%, a one piece forged iron is not the same as a cup faced forged iron with a load of tungsten in it. BUT it doesn't automatically mean that its better of worse - just different.

These are very cool and I can't wait to see them in person - but its important to remember why these exist in the first place.

True, but if one has severe left eye dominance, anything more than a slight offset, will cause the face to be turned down which closes it, and it has no value to the player. I've had to have minimal offset for years and the Dot Pros have slightly less offset than the tour XForged I've played for some time.

Edited by flyingwedges2
spelling

On 4/9/2019 at 6:53 PM, Golf4lifer said:

> @jci13 said:

> On the offset just remember that Callaway switched their offset numbers to mm now. On the apex pro 19 the offset is minimal. I compared the offset in my apex pro 19 to my apex pro 16 and my apex pro original and the 19’s have less than the 16’s or the original apex pros.

The Apex Pro 19’s 8 iron have 2.5mm of offset or .098”. The Apex Pro 14/16 8 irons each have .095”/2.4mm of offset. Seems to me they are pretty darn close to one another.

4-PW offssets: 

2.54 mm, 2.33 mm, 2.13 mm, 1.93 mm, 1.77 mm, 1.65 mm, 1.57 mm    https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/iron-sets/irons-2019-apex-pro-dot.html#section-specs

Got these irons recently and I will say that I think they may be some of the softest irons i've ever hit. I hit them next to the 221's, I59's, zx7, t100, and they were softer (to me) than all the above, with the 221 being very close. I used to work at a golf club and have hit many different types of irons from all manufacturers, so I have a lot of reference to pull from. Unfortunately my only gripe with them is that for my swing, and with the extra grooves they spin way to much for me. They are seriously one of the best feeling and looking irons i've ever played. 

On 3/6/2022 at 6:31 PM, flyingwedges2 said:

True, but if one has severe left eye dominance, anything more than a slight offset, will cause the face to be turned down which closes it, and it has no value to the player. I've had to have minimal offset for years and the Dot Pros have slightly less offset than the tour XForged I've played for some time.

I never heard that and probably the reason why sometime I have a hard time figure out my club face is square or not, and have a big problem with offset.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

2 hours ago, shaolingolfer said:

I never heard that and probably the reason why sometime I have a hard time figure out my club face is square or not, and have a big problem with offset.

The same is also true for how a player sees the line while putting and the style of putter neck that works for them.  David Edel has video describing this on YouTube.

5 hours ago, flyingwedges2 said:

The same is also true for how a player sees the line while putting and the style of putter neck that works for them.  David Edel has video describing this on YouTube.

I hear you, bought and sold a bunch of putters for several years, even played with a left hand putter for a few rounds, mainly with a bloomstick before finally settle down with the 2 balls.  Not sure how but my left eye may have get more dominated as I get older.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.