Tour issued Callaway Apex Pro 19' "Dot" Iron Pics and differences (comparison Pics added Page 3)

easyyy

I'm not an expert on how different grinds effect turf interaction, but I tend to do better (hit more solid shots) with thinner soles vs bigger wider soles. I wish this wasn't the case because I miss out on being able to hit bigger more forgiving clubs because I don't hit bigger clubs/soles as cleanly. The dots go through the turf as good as anything (except maybe my old vapor pro combos) but still have some size and forgiveness to them. Also, they spin and have traditional lofts so I can actually hit them high. I'm a low flight low spin player. Hope that helps and I'm sure there are some experts on here that can better explain the effects of the grind/sole.

> @mxskier said:

> Agree, topline is marginally thinner, but not anywhere near a blade look. And they feel just fantastic, even when hitting range rocks, they sizzle like they're smushed.

>

> How do you think that trailing edge relief changes turf interaction? I really like the Dots, just going to need to get them shafted with my obans (ugh, I hate CC for letting me hit these...) and can't wait to see how buttery they feel once they're spec'd out.

>

> > @marionmg said:

> > The top line is a little thinner and the trailing edge grind of the sole is a little straighter/thinner. Overall profile size is about the same although the scoring lines are longer on the dots which I think makes them appear a little bigger. They feel unreal. Very soft and great turf interaction.

> >

> > > @cota0429 said:

> > > I’m curious too how much thinner the top line is and also how much smaller the profile is on the dot.

> >

> >

>

> @palmer70 said:

> Anyone know how to get these looking raw like Xander's?

remove the badges carefully -- go with a media blast -- put in new paintfill, and re-install the badges

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @palmer70 said:

> Media blast? Any insight on how or where to get that done?

perhaps someone can give you insight - but usually i get mine done at a machine shop that is near my work.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I hit these last night. It is really really hard to tell a difference between these and the standard heads. A little thinner top, maybe. Slight muscle differences and one extra groove.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Honestly they are missing the tech in the facecup, don’t go as far and spin more and less offset. If that’s what you are looking for then they should be perfect. Depends on what the player actually wants with his irons. Without the tech they are about as forgiving as the MBs. I’d personally play these so I don’t hit a 150 yard PW. Looking into one myself. But without the tech is a little hyped up to be honest.

In reality the> @QuigleyDU said:

> I hit these last night. It is really really hard to tell a difference between these and the standard heads. A little thinner top, maybe. Slight muscle differences and one extra groove.

>

>

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

> @cota0429 said:

> Honestly they are missing the tech in the facecup, don’t go as far and spin more and less offset. If that’s what you are looking for then they should be perfect. Depends on what the player actually wants with his irons. Without the tech they are about as forgiving as the MBs. I’d personally play these so I don’t hit a 150 yard PW. Looking into one myself. But without the tech is a little hyped up to be honest.

>

> In reality the> @QuigleyDU said:

> > I hit these last night. It is really really hard to tell a difference between these and the standard heads. A little thinner top, maybe. Slight muscle differences and one extra groove.

> >

> >

>

>

These still have the face cup.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

The dots do not

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @cota0429 said:

> > Honestly they are missing the tech in the facecup, don’t go as far and spin more and less offset. If that’s what you are looking for then they should be perfect. Depends on what the player actually wants with his irons. Without the tech they are about as forgiving as the MBs. I’d personally play these so I don’t hit a 150 yard PW. Looking into one myself. But without the tech is a little hyped up to be honest.

> >

> > In reality the> @QuigleyDU said:

> > > I hit these last night. It is really really hard to tell a difference between these and the standard heads. A little thinner top, maybe. Slight muscle differences and one extra groove.

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

> These still have the face cup.

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

I’ve hit both. The face cup version feels / sounds very different from the dot version.

Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009

> @brushie said:

> I’ve hit both. The face cup version feels / sounds very different from the dot version.

The dots are still the same multi piece construction head with a urethane insert. Go back and read post number 77 by easyy if you don’t believe me.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @brushie said:

> > I’ve hit both. The face cup version feels / sounds very different from the dot version.

>

> The dots are still the same multi piece construction head with a urethane insert. Go back and read post number 77 by easyy if you don’t believe me.

Read my post. I’m talking about face cup vs not.

Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009

Well...I'm in! Thanks to my main man @joey3108 I have a set of the Apex Pro dots being built up. Hit the regular Pros first...and definitely noticed the occasional 'hot' ball. I also prefer less offset, and while the regular Pros don't have a lot of offset...the dots look better to my eye.

Went in for a new driver....and ended up with a complete fitting and a virtually completely new bag! I can't wait to hit these!

RIDE

• Like 2

Take it to a plating company and have it reverse plating properly, so it won't hurt the metal and altered the specs to far.

Don't use media blast or muriatic acid. No body can't control it without hurting the metal under the chrome.

The dot version has "NO" cup face. The pro preferred the no cup face for better control and feedback, especially on "mishit". They don't need longer distance. Definitely sounds and feel different as you can see on my video hitting the sweet spot.

Joe

> @palmer70 said:

> Media blast? Any insight on how or where to get that done?

• Like 2

Has anyone had these two on a launch monitor yet that can compare the two, especially in the long irons? I was recently fit into a set of the standard Apex Pro but they did not have the Dot head available. Coming from a set of Adams MB2s, however, the Dots seem like they would fit what I'm looking for in my irons a little better than the standard Pros would, especially in regards to gapping with a more familiar set of lofts.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

> @joey3108 said:

> Take it to a plating company and have it reverse plating properly, so it won't hurt the metal and altered the specs to far.

>

> Don't use media blast or muriatic acid. No body can't control it without hurting the metal under the chrome.

>

> **The dot version has "NO" cup face. **The pro preferred the no cup face for better control and feedback, especially on "mishit". They don't need longer distance. Definitely sounds and feel different as you can see on my video hitting the sweet spot.

>

> Joe

>

> > @palmer70 said:

> > Media blast? Any insight on how or where to get that done?

>

>

paging @tdk8180

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @brushie said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @brushie said:

> > > I’ve hit both. The face cup version feels / sounds very different from the dot version.

> >

> > The dots are still the same multi piece construction head with a urethane insert. Go back and read post number 77 by easyy if you don’t believe me.

>

> Read my post. I’m talking about face cup vs not.

>

>

> @rtraudt said:

> Has anyone had these two on a launch monitor yet that can compare the two, especially in the long irons? I was recently fit into a set of the standard Apex Pro but they did not have the Dot head available. Coming from a set of Adams MB2s, however, the Dots seem like they would fit what I'm looking for in my irons a little better than the standard Pros would, especially in regards to gapping with a more familiar set of lofts.

I have, It is a little hard to compare as the specs are different. The standard heads have stronger lofts. 45* wedge in the standard vs. 47* in the "DOT". Other than that, the preform very similar.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Is anyone else a lefty here? I ordered my set when they were first released. When they came in, all 4-pw had dots. I assumed this to be normal and part of the design, but now I am thinking I was sent the tour only set? I guess that is a pretty cool mistake. I absolutely love them, the flight, and consistency. It will take an act of congress to get these out of my bag!

Did any other lefties experience this? I wonder if the left hand sets are all dot sets?

> @Trying4Better said:

> Is anyone else a lefty here? I ordered my set when they were first released. When they came in, all 4-pw had dots. I assumed this to be normal and part of the design, but now I am thinking I was sent the tour only set? I guess that is a pretty cool mistake. I absolutely love them, the flight, and consistency. It will take an act of congress to get these out of my bag!

>

> Did any other lefties experience this? I wonder if the left hand sets are all dot sets?

When you say they had dots do you mean dots on the hosel or under the iron number?

> @andrevanderpost said:

> > @Trying4Better said:

> > Is anyone else a lefty here? I ordered my set when they were first released. When they came in, all 4-pw had dots. I assumed this to be normal and part of the design, but now I am thinking I was sent the tour only set? I guess that is a pretty cool mistake. I absolutely love them, the flight, and consistency. It will take an act of congress to get these out of my bag!

> >

> > Did any other lefties experience this? I wonder if the left hand sets are all dot sets?

>

> When you say they had dots do you mean dots on the hosel or under the iron number?

Pics of dots for reference 18zmrxbds690.jpeg

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @joey3108 said:

> > Take it to a plating company and have it reverse plating properly, so it won't hurt the metal and altered the specs to far.

> >

> > Don't use media blast or muriatic acid. No body can't control it without hurting the metal under the chrome.

> >

> > **The dot version has "NO" cup face. **The pro preferred the no cup face for better control and feedback, especially on "mishit". They don't need longer distance. Definitely sounds and feel different as you can see on my video hitting the sweet spot.

> >

> > Joe

> >

> > > @palmer70 said:

> > > Media blast? Any insight on how or where to get that done?

> >

> >

>

> paging @tdk8180

LMAO @gioguy21

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @brushie said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > @brushie said:

> > > > I’ve hit both. The face cup version feels / sounds very different from the dot version.

> > >

> > > The dots are still the same multi piece construction head with a urethane insert. Go back and read post number 77 by easyy if you don’t believe me.

> >

> > Read my post. I’m talking about face cup vs not.

> >

> >

>

> > @rtraudt said:

> > Has anyone had these two on a launch monitor yet that can compare the two, especially in the long irons? I was recently fit into a set of the standard Apex Pro but they did not have the Dot head available. Coming from a set of Adams MB2s, however, the Dots seem like they would fit what I'm looking for in my irons a little better than the standard Pros would, especially in regards to gapping with a more familiar set of lofts.

>

> I have, It is a little hard to compare as the specs are different. The standard heads have stronger lofts. 45* wedge in the standard vs. 47* in the "DOT". Other than that, the preform very similar.

That would actually fit what I'm looking for perfectly then. I'd love the forgiveness/consistency that the apex pro gave me in the fitting, but with more manageable gapping, and it seems as if the DOTs are exactly that. Going to have to get a set of heads and send them off to Oughtons to strip them raw. If they're raw, then they might stand a chance of keeping my MB2s from returning to the bag, as they always do.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

A couple of things here, just for funsies:

1. These are certainly different heads, with the size, shape, and construction being different

2. If you bend your non-DOT Apex Pro '19's to the DOT Apex Pro '19 lofts, you will get REALLY close to the offset specs of the DOT's (at least that is what my initial math points towards and what I will most likely be doing)

3. I'm only just a teensie bit salty that I had no idea these were even a thing when I ordered my Pro '19's and now I don't want to be "That Guy" with my Callaway rep, constantly dinging him for new stuff

4. I really don't need them anyway, as ballstriking is my #1 weakness and I can use all the forgiveness that can be packed into a low-offset, small-ish clubhead

5. I still am just a little miffed about Season8 Episode 3 of Game of Thrones, but I'll give them a chance to redeem themselves with the last 3 episodes

And, uh, that's all I have to say about that.................

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

finally got mine (built to the wrong length.. so going back to the shop), but before sending them back hit them. Definitely noticed a different feel between the apex pros and the dots for the long irons. And for my swing I didn't really see any ball speed drop off. Comparing 5i to 5i at this particular day (hitting in loafers, no warm up, and business clothes from work), the pros had 126mph ball speed at 38", the dots 122 at 37.5", which is functionally the same when different length is taken into account. But the feel was certainly different and softer.

Interesting thing I'm seeing, especially on the wedge, is the way the hosel transitions into the club. With the different shape leading edge, it almost gives the appearance of having more offset IMO. I bent all of my dots to the lie angles of the pros. Does lie angle have any real visual effect on a golf clubs offset? Or is my eye just playing games with me.

Anyway, very excited for the my clubs to finally come back with the proper build length so I can really compare the two sets of irons. Then one is off to the BST.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue

Titleist TSi2 3W, 5W Ventus TR Blue

Callaway Apex CB 4-PW DG 120

Titleist Vokey SM9 50/55/60 Oban CT 115

Ping PLD Anser

> @scratchswinger said:

> > @Coop88 said:

> > Just got a set and these are awesome. They don’t feel the same as the Stabdard Apex pro and do spin a little more. Have not seen **a large distance loss either**. Great clubs so far!

>

> That is because the standard ones are not any longer then other standard irons.

Just thought the cupface would of made them a little longer but it isn’t the case. Loving the dots.