Steelfiber i95 straight in or hardstep 1x?

johnnybogey

According to Titleist's frequency data SF is not that stiff, but it seems a lot of people perceive them that way. Recoil's frequency test higher than SF but most people think the opposite. Guess what I'm driving at is that you may want to demo Recoil's if you haven't recently. Regarding the question at hand, I'm not sure.

w285ccnonj50.jpg

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Thanks Nessism.

Forgot to mention, I have Recoil 100 F4 in another set of irons which are nice, I get the feeling like I can load the shaft. Just want to move down in weight.

With the SF i95, I just don't feel like I can load the shaft during my swing.

Who knows, I might look into Recoil 95 Prototypes, lol

> @gsrjc said:

> Just go straight in and not hardstep the stiff. I have a similar SS, maybe slightly higher by a few mph and i have mine straight in.

> I have the i95 and not the i95cw as posted above.

He's asking about regulars (he's already playing the stiffs soft stepped).

> @johnnybogey said:

> Forgot to mention, I have Recoil 100 F4 in another set of irons which are nice, I get the feeling like I can load the shaft. Just want to move down in weight.

>

Why not just get the Recoil 95 (non-proto)'s in F4? They really are not noticeably softer than the 110's for the same flex - at least they were not for me. Going to the proto's really just tighten's up the torque but wont really change the loading all that much.

But if you do want to try the SF i95's in Reg, I'd start with them straight in.

• Like 1

Right at 83 MPH...mine are straight in. Felt the same way about the stiffs, just not quite enough ooomph in my swing to load them enough to keep them from feeling boardy...and I like a stiffer profile than most.

In the end, it's all very personal.

• Like 1

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Appreciate the input fellas.

I think for now, going to give SF i95 regular flex straight in as a starting point. The only issue I can think of is I'll need to leave a full inch on the butt end and choke down. Reason being, I play my irons +1/2" so if I decide to hardstep one time they go straight into the next longer iron.

As the price of shafts has increased dramatically over the last few years, to include steelfibers, I wouldn't discount giving the DG 105 R300s a shot either as a less expensive alternative. In testing, I had good results in terms of a head to head with the i95Rs. Don't have any information to speak of in terms of long-term testing of them though.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Went round and round with Steelfiber's, Recoil's and Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 with Prosoft inserts and Nippon 950gh.

Steelfiber 95's were Stiff and Regular. Recoil 95's were Stiff and Nippon 105's and 950gh's were both Stiff. All in TaylorMade P790's.

Played DGS300 105's in TaylorMade P790's for a good chunk of last year but they were rough on my elbows. Flight and Flex were fine but they feel kind of brittle if that's a way to describe them. They have a stiffer feeling tip and butt than most of the shafts above (other than the Steelfiber Stiff which are a Stiff+ in my book).

950gh felt OK but dispersion was the worst of the bunch. Felt light and kind of hollow.

Steelfiber 95 Stiff were very stiff and I had to work to load them so they did not stick around long.

Recoil 95's felt awesome in the shorter irons but did not care for them in the longer irons. Seemed to have a softer mid than the others and gives an almost kick through the ball.

Steelfiber Regular were a good match from long iron to short iron. Felt great and flight was very good. Dispersion was good as well.

Could easily play the Steelfiber's, but turns out the best fit ended up being a set of Ping i200's with Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff with Prosoft inserts.

Not quite as much vibration dampening as the Recoil or the Steelfiber's but they have a softer tip and butt end so they feel really smooth at impact and hit several buckets of balls and 2 rounds here in Michigan over the past few weeks with no ill effects on my elbows. Dispersion was great and ball flight high but not ballooning. I really enjoy the feel and flight with these shafts.

Have settled on them as the sole/turf interaction also seem to fit my over-the-top, sweeper type swing the best.

P790's may be the best irons I have ever played on thin hits though so don't over look them if that is your normal miss. My normal miss is out towards the toe and the Pings seem to handle that type of miss very well.

Still Jonesing for a set of G410's but have not got along with the G series since the G25 so no rush to get them until there are more on the used market.

I do however seem to live vicariously through Ness's trials as it appears that we have similar swings based on his many posts about what has worked for him and his swing.

I subscribe to the Try and Buy theory as I have an idea of what fits me based on past fittings and enjoy the hunt to fine tune as my swing changes from year to year.

Hit them all on the grass and then your home course as dry ball fittings on a launch monitor get you close but nothing really tells you how they will work until you get them out on your home course and play them with your ball of choice, turf, hole layout, etc.

Turf interaction changes with heads and shafts so it is difficult to really get there unless you have a phenomenal fitter who really knows what they are doing and not just trying to get you into the latest and greatest clubs.

• Like 1

> @Radeon962 said:

> Went round and round with Steelfiber's, Recoil's and Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 with Prosoft inserts and Nippon 950gh.

>

> Steelfiber 95's were Stiff and Regular. Recoil 95's were Stiff and Nippon 105's and 950gh's were both Stiff. All in TaylorMade P790's.

>

> Played DGS300 105's in TaylorMade P790's for a good chunk of last year but they were rough on my elbows. Flight and Flex were fine but they feel kind of brittle if that's a way to describe them. They have a stiffer feeling tip and butt than most of the shafts above (other than the Steelfiber Stiff which are a Stiff+ in my book).

>

> 950gh felt OK but dispersion was the worst of the bunch. Felt light and kind of hollow.

>

> Steelfiber 95 Stiff were very stiff and I had to work to load them so they did not stick around long.

>

> Recoil 95's felt awesome in the shorter irons but did not care for them in the longer irons. Seemed to have a softer mid than the others and gives an almost kick through the ball.

>

> Steelfiber Regular were a good match from long iron to short iron. Felt great and flight was very good. Dispersion was good as well.

>

> Could easily play the Steelfiber's, but turns out the best fit ended up being a set of Ping i200's with Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff with Prosoft inserts.

>

> Not quite as much vibration dampening as the Recoil or the Steelfiber's but they have a softer tip and butt end so they feel really smooth at impact and hit several buckets of balls and 2 rounds here in Michigan over the past few weeks with no ill effects on my elbows. Dispersion was great and ball flight high but not ballooning. I really enjoy the feel and flight with these shafts.

>

> Have settled on them as the sole/turf interaction also seem to fit my over-the-top, sweeper type swing the best.

>

> P790's may be the best irons I have ever played on thin hits though so don't over look them if that is your normal miss. My normal miss is out towards the toe and the Pings seem to handle that type of miss very well.

>

> Still Jonesing for a set of G410's but have not got along with the G series since the G25 so no rush to get them until there are more on the used market.

>

> I do however seem to live vicariously through Ness's trials as it appears that we have similar swings based on his many posts about what has worked for him and his swing.

>

> I subscribe to the Try and Buy theory as I have an idea of what fits me based on past fittings and enjoy the hunt to fine tune as my swing changes from year to year.

>

> Hit them all on the grass and then your home course as dry ball fittings on a launch monitor get you close but nothing really tells you how they will work until you get them out on your home course and play them with your ball of choice, turf, hole layout, etc.

>

> Turf interaction changes with heads and shafts so it is difficult to really get there unless you have a phenomenal fitter who really knows what they are doing and not just trying to get you into the latest and greatest clubs.

>

>

>

Wow, thanks for that Radeon!

I gone through so many in my trials and tribulations as well.

TBH, don't know why I made the switch to graphite as I don't have any injuries now. I guess it was more of a preventative measure when I turned 40 two years ago, lol.

Been hearing a ton of great things about Nippon. The only Nippon's I've ever hit were the 950's in my Cobra S9 set from years ago. I quickly traded them as they were way too soft. Might have to take a look at the Modus line.

As of now, leaning towards Steelfiber i95 regular flex straight in. Had a chance to speak with Aerotech today as well and the fitter I spoke with agreed that regular straight in or even soft stepping regular could be an option.

Will keep you guys posted on my journey! lol

I have played S300, Rifle 5.5, etc for most of my life and the Steelfiber 95 Regular straight in were a good match Flex wise. Feel is subjective but I enjoy the feel of the Steelfiber's more than the Recoil.

I compare them to the Diamana D+ (White) is more similar to the Steelfiber and S+ (Blue) is more similar to the Recoil.

Recoil has a softer mid so there is a more perceived, if not actual, kick. While the Steelfiber is more of a one-piece feel somewhat like the old Aldila NV.

Depends on what works and feels right for your swing as they are very different shafts and it seems that most people like one or the other and not both.

Steelfiber Regular held up very well to my swing as did the Recoil F4. To me, Flex wise at least SF Regular vs Recoil F4, they are similar but how they are built to work feels very different.

Had Prototype 110's last season and they felt about 1/2 Flex stiffer and felt stiffer throughout (I.e. The mid, tip and butt felt stiffer throughout, more akin to the Steelfiber but not quite there as far as one-piece feel of the Steelfiber's).

> @johnnybogey said:

> hey guys,

> So I currently play SF i95 stiff flex softstepped 1x in my irons and they are still too much for me.

> Looking to put i95 regular flex in them but not sure if I should go straight in or hardstep them 1x.

> my 6 irons SS is about 84 mph and driver is about 97-100 mph.

> What do you guys think?

I have the same swing speed in iron and driver as you and play mine i95s hard stepped once. I don’t feel much a difference between hardstepped and not, but it did help my control a little more.

Dr: TSi3 10 Ventus Red 6s

F: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red 7s

H: 915h 18 and 24 diamana s+

I: P770 5-PW Steelfiber i95s

W: MG3 49, 54, 58 dg115

P: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 w/      custom CT Tour shaft (custom red,white,blue paint fill with stars & stripes headcover)

B: BX / TP5X 

I've had the i95's Stiff for 4 years now, play them 1/2 over, D4 s/w, my s/w is similar to yours perhaps plus 1-2 mph. Play them straight in, they feel/load much better than my old project X 6.5's. Look forward to your update/conclusions.

Cheers

D.

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

• 2 years later...