St. George, Utah Trip

podunker

> @podunker said:

> My Wife and I just got back from our 30th Anniversary trip to St. George. What an awesome area. We spent a week at Entrada and played five rounds of golf. We spent a day at Zion National Park also. I can't speak highly enough of the area and people. Everyone was so nice. We played The Ledges with WRX member RSinSG, it was a very nice course and it was great to meet Ron. We played Entrada the next day, highly recommend, but I think you have to be staying there to play the course. We also spent some time at the range at Entrada through the week. We splurged and stayed in a Casita, and it was an awesome place to stay. Even played a little Pickle ball. We went to Zion the first evening and drove through the tunnel and hiked the Overlook Trail. Then we spent most of another day at Zion and hiked Angels Landing. It was awesome and scary at the same time. We took a day off after that to recover from Angels Landing. The next day we headed down to Mesquite, NV and played Wolf Creek and Conestoga. Wolf Creek was a neat experience and would recommend playing at least once. Too expensive to play more than that. We were not too impressed Conestoga, too many blind tee shots and just not as nice as the other courses. The last course we played was Sand Hollow and it was super nice also. Sand Hollow State Park looked like a lot of fun, for ATV/UTV riding also. We wanted to play Sky Mountain, but couldn't fit it in. Ron (RSinSG) gave us lots of tips on eating places and things to do while we were there, he was a wealth of great information, and a super nice guy. The whole area is clean with lots of new construction going on. The roads were excellent and seemed to handle the traffic well. We liked the town of Hurricane well also, its out by Sand Hollow on the way to Zion. We will definitely be going back to the area. The weather was great the whole time, I think it can get windy, but it wasn't while we were there. Next time we will skip Mesquite and just play the rest of the courses around St. George. If I had to rate the course, I would pick : 1. Entrada 2. Sand Hollow 3. The Ledges 4. Wolf Creek and a distant 5. Conestoga. Food wise, you have to hit up Bella Marie's Pizza, Anasazi Steak House, and Anglica's Mex Grill. A person could spend a week just in Zion National Park if he wanted.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to stay at Entrada? And then how much are the green fees at Entrada?

> @zer0 said:

> Thinking about heading to SG in the fall, but don't want to go when the courses are being overseeded etc. Does anyone know when it will be safe to go and not worry abou that stuff?

>

>

Only a few courses overseed in St. George, Sunbrook used to might be another one or two. Sand Hollow, Entrada, Ledges and Sky Mountain, among others don't.

Last couple of years we have fall golfed the West Slope. Love Redlands Mesa, enjoy Devil's Thumb and had a great time at Iron Bridge.

• 3 weeks later...

> @zer0 said:

> Thinking about heading to SG in the fall, but don't want to go when the courses are being overseeded etc. Does anyone know when it will be safe to go and not worry abou that stuff?

>

All of the city courses will be done by Sept. Not sure about the other courses except the Ledges where I work and they don't overseed. Hit me up if you want to play there as I can get you on for cart fee only mid-week.

Southgate Golf Club

Aeration: Front 9, Sept. 3, 2019

Back 9, Sept. 4, 2019

Overseed: Sept. 18-27, 2019

Sunbrook Golf Club

Aeration: Woodbridge, Sept. 3, 2019

Black Rock, Sept. 4, 2019

The Pointe, Sept. 5, 2019

Overseed: Sept. 11-19, 2019

St. George Golf Club

Aeration: Front 9, Sept. 4, 2019

Back 9, Sept. 5, 2019

Overseed: Sept. 19-27, 2019

Dixie Red Hills

Aeration: Sept. 3, 2019

Overseed: Sept. 9-19, 2019

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

• 2 weeks later...

@RSinSG Planning a buddies trip down there for 10-12 guys second weekend in October... Looking to play 36 Th-Sat... What would be your recommendation? I am a member of a private course as are a few of the other guys. Not sure if that connection might be used to get us on somewhere. We will have half our guys coming from Sacramento and the other half from SLC and I think we will be staying in Hurricane. Thanks

> @RSinSG said:

> > @zer0 said:

> > Thinking about heading to SG in the fall, but don't want to go when the courses are being overseeded etc. Does anyone know when it will be safe to go and not worry abou that stuff?

> >

> All of the city courses will be done by Sept. Not sure about the other courses except the Ledges where I work and they don't overseed. Hit me up if you want to play there as I can get you on for cart fee only mid-week.

>

> Southgate Golf Club

> Aeration: Front 9, Sept. 3, 2019

> Back 9, Sept. 4, 2019

> Overseed: Sept. 18-27, 2019

>

> Sunbrook Golf Club

> Aeration: Woodbridge, Sept. 3, 2019

> Black Rock, Sept. 4, 2019

> The Pointe, Sept. 5, 2019

> Overseed: Sept. 11-19, 2019

>

> St. George Golf Club

> Aeration: Front 9, Sept. 4, 2019

> Back 9, Sept. 5, 2019

> Overseed: Sept. 19-27, 2019

>

> Dixie Red Hills

> Aeration: Sept. 3, 2019

> Overseed: Sept. 9-19, 2019

Looks wonderful since I'll be there the 19-23rd.... My choices will be limited it looks like.

In search of solid contact...

> @"Lefty Light HItter" said:

> Anyone know when Wolf Creek overseeds? I was getting ready to book it for the 21st and there are a lot of times open.

Used to, September several years ago I played it, overseeded with slow greens. Was also cart path only and 106°, did not enjoy the round. Call them 866 252 4653

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Played Copper Rock 3 weeks ago,AWESOME track!Fastest greens around and every hole is pretty unique,with plenty of elevation changes on the back nine.A pretty cool waterfall feature was being built on hole #12..................... A LOT of construction going on in the area and the new clubhouse should be finished in the next month or two.Just got the carts in the day we played,so the GPS should be up and running by now.

I predict CR will be the best golf course in So.Utah within a couple of years when the rock hard green settle down......Hopefully they can stay in business and don't wind up like Kokopelli did!

I get the sentiment, but completely disagree. In fact I think as courses stretch to start with 8's we are alienating most of golf. Golf has been a robust sport for hundreds of years, governing bodies are seeing the equipment/ball increases leaving too many courses behind and in fact will most likely IMO act to make 6800 a number that seems just about right.

Pebble showed it. Fast greens are only fast until weather doesn't allow. you need tighter landing area's and misses to be a penalty.

Again, I think for 95% of golfers this isn't an issue and this is going to be a great benefit to the area for golf.

I will say for every new top course built in the last 15 years that is under 7k yards you can name, I can name 10 that are over 7k.

Pebbles defense are small greens, not necessarily the most undulating. The pro-am mandates that they keep it very playable with the rough and green speeds. I would argue Pebble is a perfect example of what works. Look at the US open. Final scores: half of the field was over par, half of the field was under par, winner at -13. Most scratch amatures in those conditions would shoot in the 90's. Added length will not improve this game. The fact that people are building longer courses is not a justification it is a problem.

depends on your game. I like when you have par 4's that you have to hit a long iron into or there is more risk on shorter holes. I would be totally fine playing at 6800 yards and am ok if playing 6500 or more usually. I have at time had regular groups that are much better than me and they are playing longer courses because that is what they play for competition.