Poll - The Masters: 1986 or 2019

OBbogey5

I watched 1986 and thought it was a tremendous accomplishment for Nicklaus. However, the 2019 final round at Augusta National was every bit as exciting. The very best in the world rankings fighting the pressure all round was outstanding. All credit to Woods, he kept his composure better than I have ever seen him in the past. He played smart golf and missed where he could recover. I honestly never thought Woods would win another major and boy was I wrong. He is as great an iron player as I have ever seen.

• Like 2

Also, if Tiger had made an ace on 16, I would say tie.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

> @dpb5031 said:

> Today had the potential, but '86 was more exciting. I'm thrilled that Tiger won, but at the same time disappointed that not a single one of the superstars on today's leaderboard was able to post a really good number. I'd never have bet that Tiger could win shooting 70 given the generally soft conditions. Definitely a case of "weak sauce" by the contenders, but with few exceptions that's been the case in many of his wins.

>

> Still, all credit in the world to him for overcoming adversity and coming back from a very dark place. Good for the game for sure...

So is that a testament to the scoring conditions and the pressure?

I mean the common denominator is the golf course.

I think the better accomplishment was Tiger's in today, but the better golf was played in 86. That was a great round that Jack played to comeback and win, but I think this tournament is more important to Tiger's career than 86 was to Jack's. It might all depend on how TW continues the next few years.

> @BMC said:

> Both great moments in golf. This win was not a surprise. Jack's was a surprise.

I think Tiger's incremental return to form, culminating in last year's Tour Championship win showed he still had some game. Jack was in pretty bad shape in 85/86 in terms of golf.

So.... Jack's final round of 65, going -6 on the back 9 is kinda better than Tiger's 70/-1. By quite a lot.

Both pretty good, and worthy of the ongoing dialog of who's GOAT and who's in second.

What most people here don’t know is that Jack’s business empire (MacGregor and other interests) were near financial ruin. Nicklaus wasn’t doing outstanding financially. He had that pressure underlying his degraded golf game. Maybe this had quite a bit to do with the poor play because Nicklaus was focusing on his businesses and not playing much golf. To merely dismiss Nicklaus’ accomplishment because Tiger Woods’ issues has been put into the forefront thanks to social media isn’t quite fair to this discussion.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

> @RobotDoctor said:

> What most people here don’t know is that Jack’s business empire (MacGregor and other interests) were near financial ruin. Nicklaus wasn’t doing outstanding financially. He had that pressure underlying his degraded golf game. Maybe this had quite a bit to do with the poor play because Nicklaus was focusing on his businesses and not playing much golf. To merely dismiss Nicklaus’ accomplishment because Tiger Woods’ issues has been put into the forefront thanks to social media isn’t quite fair to this discussion.

I’d also add that Nicklaus’ 46 years was like being 56 in today’s golf years. The fitness level of today’s elite golfers will allow them to play at a high level much longer than guys in Jack’s era.

> @RobertBaron said:

> > @RobotDoctor said:

> > What most people here don’t know is that Jack’s business empire (MacGregor and other interests) were near financial ruin. Nicklaus wasn’t doing outstanding financially. He had that pressure underlying his degraded golf game. Maybe this had quite a bit to do with the poor play because Nicklaus was focusing on his businesses and not playing much golf. To merely dismiss Nicklaus’ accomplishment because Tiger Woods’ issues has been put into the forefront thanks to social media isn’t quite fair to this discussion.

>

> I’d also add that Nicklaus’ 46 years was like being 56 in today’s golf years. The fitness level of today’s elite golfers will allow them to play at a high level much longer than guys in Jack’s era.

>

We shall see about that. A lot of the modern violent swings don't seem to be built for longevity. Knee injuries for McIlroy. Back injuries for Jason Day. Knee injuries/back injuries for Tiger. Remains to be seen on some of the younger guys how their bodies will hold up as they age.

I don;t understand the quest for the 'best ever' monnicker. We should enjoy events for what they give us at the time, rather than a constant desire to compare and rank.

I was too young to have seen '86, but I stayed up until 3am in Hong Kong last night watching the stream on my Ipad. As someone who lost his father recently, and is soon to become a father, and was at Hoylake in '06, last night bought a tear to my eye. Not a man sob, just a bit of light dust, but to reflect back on where Woods had been to as both and athlete and a human being, and to see him triumph, is truly one of the greatest of any sporting moments of this or any generation, and something I am humble and privileged to have watched.

• Like 1

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

For me it has to be 2019.

I get that 1986 was likely more exciting with birdies seemingly flying all over the place but I have no recall of it. It was all before my time. My first real recollection of Jack actually comes from 12 years on when he was making a charge in 1998.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

2019 and not even close for me. I was 8 in 1986, but my dad was not much of a Jack Nicklaus fan, he grew up liking Palmer. Me and my dad got into Tiger in the late 90's, we were big fans. So for me, being 41 and a Dad myself, yesterday was special.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

> @Aaronwilson_95 said:

> Just under 2 years ago he entered drug addiction rehab , and today he won the masters . Not too mention every single thing that’s happened to him.

> https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/trapdraw-podcast-no-laying-up/id1133618045?i=1000417810593

>

> Worth listening too

I don't know the drug addiction rehab is something that I'd hold up as something he's "overcome" let alone some of his self-destructive behavior. Evaluation was going to be required as a consequence of the criminal act regardless and maybe he was addicted, maybe he wasn't. Suffice it to say he's had tremendous physical challenges it is amazing he has overcome.

> @MattyO1984 said:

> For me it has to be 2019.

>

> I get that 1986 was likely more exciting with birdies seemingly flying all over the place but I have no recall of it. It was all before my time. My first real recollection of Jack actually comes from 12 years on when he was making a charge in 1998.

Another reason why these things are so generational!

My appreciation of Hogan and Snead, for example, is mostly from reading about them - never really saw them play at the height of their powers. Same to a lesser extent but still true with Arnie and even Jack's first many majors I have no recollection of - was just a wee lad. But when I started playing Jack was the man and I watched and read about him in his prime, so to speak. That stuff will always color how exciting something is for us.

A ton more people for all sorts of reasons have been in touch with what Tiger is doing - media exposure and hype is exponentially greater than it was back in the day, Tiger as a phenom brought a lot of folks to the game outside the norm (even if just people who didn't play, but watched), and somehow he managed to be somewhat polarizing at the same time and the past 9+ years and some of the self-destructive stuff he managed to have revealed only added to the hype.

I love his skills, kind of enjoyed him beating down folks as a very young pro just because his talent was so obviously unique. I have a daughter who has been Tiger 24/7 since she was 4 1/2.

The neat thing for golf is, there are kids out there who have been hearing Tiger, Tiger, Tiger for years but not a lot to see recently (hey he had some good seasons, just no majors, the past 9+ years) so this win will be big for them and some more Tiger will be good for golf for as long as he can play.

• Like 3