2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Monte's efficient swing

i*windows

> @Girevik said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > @Girevik said:

> > > Would it be beneficial to video a full swing and compare my positions at each of the three points and compare in order to find where my differences are?

> >

> > I think Monte’s video almost assumes you are using video to validate...

> >

> >

>

> I guess I was thinking at that point he was taking about videoing the holding at each of the 3 stages and the drills rather than comparing them to your full swing. Guess I'm dense.

yeah you need to bench mark yourself vs what is ideal as it's spelled out in each section and go from there. If you are getting out of position early with the take away, it's just going to compound from there so that is where you start.

I caved and bought the series because my game

Has declined. Already doing drills

I did watch the whole series twice and now dissecting each segment

A lot of basic and important things I have forgotten over the years are covered in different ways and I love how monte gives you different feels if one drill doesn’t work

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I feel compelled to leave a review on this program. First, a bit of a back story. I played a lot in university, worked at a course and beat balls everyday. I got fairly good (7-8 handicap) without ever taking a lesson other than pointers from the better players at my club. I even strung together two great rounds and won my club championship once. That was 10 years ago.

After getting married, buying/renovating/selling a few houses, and having our son, golf took a back seat. In the last 10 years I’ve played maybe 15 rounds? I’ve decided to get back into it this year and to put it nicely, results have been sporadic and I’m shooting 87-92 so far in 4 rounds. Very frustrating but not unexpected.

After reading through this thread, I figured what the heck and bought the video lessons. Again, I’ve never taken a lesson in my life, so I figured this would be a good way to have videos to rewatch when thing inevitably get hairy again.

To say I’m impressed is an under statement. I’m currently working on stage two, haven’t even watched videos beyond that because I want to master one part before I move on. I took the drills to the range this morning for the first time and had more solid shots in my bucket of balls than I’ve had all year combined. This is also the first time I’ve seen my own swing on video and it isn’t as beautiful as I thought, especially at impact. If the impact is improved as much as the takeaway, I’m sure I’ll get it figured out. Even with poor impact mechanics I hit a few today that sounded and flew unlike anything I’ve ever hit, at least nothing that I can remember hitting.

It’s a lot of work, but I figure if I’m essentially starting from scratch, I may as well relearn a swing from a pro. Highly recommended, I can’t wait for the next stage.

• Like 1

> @Girevik said:

> > @DFinch said:

>

> > Section 4 is where the real work begins. That section is the hardest (and Monte says so) and if most of your issues are in transition then you are going to have to put in the time and effort to reprogram your move. It's also the one section that has frustrated me a bit because there are too many options. I can do them all. I can't decide which is going to be the most consistent and repeatable for me.

> >

> This has been my concern about the program all along. It can show me the "right" way to do things, but will I be able to identify where my flaws are and understand how to correct them. I strongly suspect most of my issues are in transition, but I'm fearful this will be more spinning of my wheels.

>

> @Girevik said:

> > @DFinch said:

>

> > Section 4 is where the real work begins. That section is the hardest (and Monte says so) and if most of your issues are in transition then you are going to have to put in the time and effort to reprogram your move. It's also the one section that has frustrated me a bit because there are too many options. I can do them all. I can't decide which is going to be the most consistent and repeatable for me.

> >

> This has been my concern about the program all along. It can show me the "right" way to do things, but will I be able to identify where my flaws are and understand how to correct them. I strongly suspect most of my issues are in transition, but I'm fearful this will be more spinning of my wheels.

>

Your concerns are exactly why I and several others suggested you take an online lesson several threads ago.

> @Fireballer said:

> Ive never been a big video guy, but I think Im gonna pull the trigger on one of Montes videos with the Memorial Day sale. For those that have both, do I go D4D, or efficient swing? Isnt D4D basically a full swing video?

D4D talks some basic setup and grip fundamentals. Efficient Swing bypasses the basics and starts with the backswing. I think Monte commented that he was going to release a supplemantary video to Efficient Swing that covered setup but Im not 100% sure.

Both are great. Call Your Shot gets slept on but its awesome as well.

Anyone looking to try out these vids and get better, Monte has some sales this weekend. The dude is an absolute giver. His latest Efficient Swing series directly helped me with my best score thus far 2019. Everyone that has made the purchases continues to do better.

SAVE BIG THIS WEEKEND ON ALL VIDEOS:

EFFICIENT SWING: $34

ESMEMORIAL at checkout

USE THE BOUNCE 2: $34

UTBMEMORIAL at checkout

DRIVE 4 DOUGH: $34

D4DMEMORIAL at checkout

WEDGES: $17

WEDMEMORIAL at checkout

Shoot low, bros.

> @Fireballer said:

> Ive never been a big video guy, but I think Im gonna pull the trigger on one of Montes videos with the Memorial Day sale. For those that have both, do I go D4D, or efficient swing? Isnt D4D basically a full swing video?

It depends on what you are looking to get out of it, and how you learn

I think you can’t go wrong with either.

If you aren’t already a very highly skilled player, i think efficient swing is an excellent start. But in terms of value, hard to say D4D isn’t better (it’s way longer). Both are incredible values however.

I would say even one key point out of each video would make it worth the money, and the likelihood is that there are many pearls to be had for years as your swing evolves.

Good luck

I REALLY struggle with coming over the top. I simply can't get that beautiful, arms extended to right field gloved down right after impact look. I'm watching the Efficient Swing transition segment hoping to find a nugget that will help me with this (or dare I hope, the magic bullet to fix me?). I'm assuming the issue is with my hands so I'm starting there, but is there any way to tell short of an online lesson where the most beneficial place to start for me might be?

Sto Pro Veritate

> @Girevik said:

> I REALLY struggle with coming over the top. I simply can't get that beautiful, arms extended to right field gloved down right after impact look. I'm watching the Efficient Swing transition segment hoping to find a nugget that will help me with this (or dare I hope, the magic bullet to fix me?). I'm assuming the issue is with my hands so I'm starting there, but is there any way to tell short of an online lesson where the most beneficial place to start for me might be?

The first thing I'd make sure of is if you're getting it back in good shape. So much is set in motion going back that impacts OTT.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Girevik said:

> > I REALLY struggle with coming over the top. I simply can't get that beautiful, arms extended to right field gloved down right after impact look. I'm watching the Efficient Swing transition segment hoping to find a nugget that will help me with this (or dare I hope, the magic bullet to fix me?). I'm assuming the issue is with my hands so I'm starting there, but is there any way to tell short of an online lesson where the most beneficial place to start for me might be?

>

> The first thing I'd make sure of is if you're getting it back in good shape. So much is set in motion going back that impacts OTT.

>

>

I've compared videos of myself at each of the 3 positions and my takeaway seems decent. I'm sure it's not perfect, but it seems pretty close.

I seem to be much closer to the high handicapper in the video (go figure, since I stink) than the other guy. I think I've gotten better, but I tended to pull my hands straight down and getting the club too vertical. Now, if I'm deciphering the video correctly, I'm shallowing the club better but it's pretty much parallel to the target line where I think I need to have the head behind my body more.

I've not made it through all the upper body transition videos yet, so my "magic bullet" may still be there to be found. I'm more just trying to verify that it is my hands I need to be focusing on and not lower body.

I have to say that I love that Monte focuses on the transition. I've had so many people tell me to "get into this position", but I kept trying to start out the same way and force myself into that position at the end. It took me quite a while to realize that I needed to focus more on how I start than how I finish.

Sto Pro Veritate

If you’re getting it back in decent shape, then indeed look at transition segment. The thing about transition is it’s not ‘either/or’ - both hands/arms and how the pivot/legs work matter. Monte talks about this (and the difficulty of integrating the two).

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> If you’re getting it back in decent shape, then indeed look at transition segment. The thing about transition is it’s not ‘either/or’ - both hands/arms and how the pivot/legs work matter. Monte talks about this (and the difficulty of integrating the two).

I understand, but you gotta start somewhere, right? I'm trying to figure out which is most broken and work on that first.

Sto Pro Veritate

Finally purchased.....only part of the way through but great so far. As a low handicapper I still struggle with some of the fundamentals from time to time or can get caught up with so many different swing thoughts that I get lost. This really gives some excellent guidelines and explains the variances that are still acceptable which is what most instructors don't do. Seeing as how I can't ever seem to get to Cali to see Monte and have to wait a year for the clinics...this will certainly help keep my game in check. A+Monte

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

> @Girevik said:

> I REALLY struggle with coming over the top. I simply can't get that beautiful, arms extended to right field gloved down right after impact look. I'm watching the Efficient Swing transition segment hoping to find a nugget that will help me with this (or dare I hope, the magic bullet to fix me?). I'm assuming the issue is with my hands so I'm starting there, but is there any way to tell short of an online lesson where the most beneficial place to start for me might be?

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Girevik said:

> > I REALLY struggle with coming over the top. I simply can't get that beautiful, arms extended to right field gloved down right after impact look. I'm watching the Efficient Swing transition segment hoping to find a nugget that will help me with this (or dare I hope, the magic bullet to fix me?). I'm assuming the issue is with my hands so I'm starting there, but is there any way to tell short of an online lesson where the most beneficial place to start for me might be?

>

> **The first thing I'd make sure of is if you're getting it back in good shape. So much is set in motion going back that impacts OTT. **

>

>

Agreed. I see Monte in person and as of late had developed a nasty OTT move that I've never had before. It was beyond annoying and no matter how much I did the drill to fix it, the full swing was shite. I watched the first part of Efficient Swing at work over lunch (and video'd myself in my office) and realized I was not turning as much as I thought I was, which was causing me to lift and get OTT. I went to the range last night and bam, no more OTT. I feel like an idiot, but also thank god because I was about to give up golf. If you get Efficient Swing, I highly recommend just going through it from scratch and videoing yourself like he recommends.

Monte's teaching is relaxing to me, so even though I see him in person, I like his videos to keep my brain understanding a good golf swing between lessons.

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

> @Girevik said:

> Let me ask this of the folks who have watched the video. Some of the moves are obviously exaggeration moves that have no place on a course, but I'm wondering if there are some that might be beneficial swing thoughts during a round. Are there any you've successfully taken to the course?

If you're trying to score, taking the drills to the course will usually be detrimental. The range is where you drill and try to get your body used to a new move enough that it becomes natural (big exaggerations for small changes). Then you have to hope it carries over. If you can commit to non-scoring on-course practice, it's a reasonable middle transition strategy to "take it to the course" with your favorite drills, recognizing that playing golf swing on the course is not playing golf. During my on-course practice I've hit some amazing shots using the drills. I've also hit some terrible shots (most commonly fat from successfully getting the club shallow and inside). The old "you're likely to hit 6" behind the ball with this drill" thing...yeah, I can do that. Had 4 birdies last round. Also had a snowman.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

> @DFinch said:

> > @Girevik said:

> > Let me ask this of the folks who have watched the video. Some of the moves are obviously exaggeration moves that have no place on a course, but I'm wondering if there are some that might be beneficial swing thoughts during a round. Are there any you've successfully taken to the course?

>

> If you're trying to score, taking the drills to the course will usually be detrimental. The range is where you drill and try to get your body used to a new move enough that it becomes natural (big exaggerations for small changes). Then you have to hope it carries over. If you can commit to non-scoring on-course practice, it's a reasonable middle transition strategy to "take it to the course" with your favorite drills, recognizing that playing golf swing on the course is not playing golf. During my on-course practice I've hit some amazing shots using the drills. I've also hit some terrible shots (most commonly fat from successfully getting the club shallow and inside). The old "you're likely to hit 6" behind the ball with this drill" thing...yeah, I can do that. Had 4 birdies last round. Also had a snowman.

>

I agree more or less completely, but that's the point of my question. Are there any "drills" that translate to actual swing thoughts? The one that prompted this for me was the "sit on a stool" drill. I'm thinking that one could translate pretty much directly to the course as a swing thought.

Sto Pro Veritate

> @Girevik said:

> > @DFinch said:

> > > @Girevik said:

> > > Let me ask this of the folks who have watched the video. Some of the moves are obviously exaggeration moves that have no place on a course, but I'm wondering if there are some that might be beneficial swing thoughts during a round. Are there any you've successfully taken to the course?

> >

> > If you're trying to score, taking the drills to the course will usually be detrimental. The range is where you drill and try to get your body used to a new move enough that it becomes natural (big exaggerations for small changes). Then you have to hope it carries over. If you can commit to non-scoring on-course practice, it's a reasonable middle transition strategy to "take it to the course" with your favorite drills, recognizing that playing golf swing on the course is not playing golf. During my on-course practice I've hit some amazing shots using the drills. I've also hit some terrible shots (most commonly fat from successfully getting the club shallow and inside). The old "you're likely to hit 6" behind the ball with this drill" thing...yeah, I can do that. Had 4 birdies last round. Also had a snowman.

> >

>

> I agree more or less completely, but that's the point of my question. Are there any "drills" that translate to actual swing thoughts? The one that prompted this for me was the "sit on a stool" drill. I'm thinking that one could translate pretty much directly to the course as a swing thought.

I think that's probably the best lower body choice. For upper I've been using the "turn the face to the camera".

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

> @topspark said:

> To those who have knee issues , how does his teachings and methods effect long and short term?

1. I study this stuff every day and my first priority is to put as little pressure on the body as is possible...in a motion that puts tons of pressure on the body.

2. I had meniscus repair in 2017, so I will be partial to putting less pressure on the knees.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Thanks for the quick reply in your early hours :)

I will go online an order

Cheers

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> > @topspark said:

> > To those who have knee issues , how does his teachings and methods effect long and short term?

>

> 1. I study this stuff every day and my first priority is to put as little pressure on the body as is possible...in a motion that puts tons of pressure on the body.

> 2. I had meniscus repair in 2017, so I will be partial to putting less pressure on the knees.

>

>

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> > @topspark said:

> > To those who have knee issues , how does his teachings and methods effect long and short term?

>

> 1. I study this stuff every day and my first priority is to put as little pressure on the body as is possible...in a motion that puts tons of pressure on the body.

> 2. I had meniscus repair in 2017, so I will be partial to putting less pressure on the knees.

>

>

Nvm