2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2014 Ping Rapture 3 wood vs the new TaylorMade M6 Rocket 3

TheFlyingWASP

2014 Ping Rapture 13* 3 wood vs the new TaylorMade M6 Rocket 3 14* wood....

I'm still gaming the Rapture (but almost exclusively off the tee). I play on a lot of tight courses & it gets pulled out of the bag a couple times a round. I honestly love everything about it. I can bomb it long, low, & straight. But like a true Wrx-er, I'm always at least LOOKING for bigger & better.

Neither the old SLDR Mini, nor the Hot 3 Deep could kick this one out of the bag, but I honestly haven't challenged it since those few tests quite a long time ago, but I saw the TM M6 Rocket 3 online the other day & it kinda got me curious again. It's .25" shorter, but the face isn't as deep (so may be usable off the deck at times). It's apparently also made of titanium plus it has the carbon crown.

Any thoughts on these two strong / deep fairway woods? Any benefit to upgrading? Honestly no store around here has it in stock for me to demo, so I'm just getting thoughts & opinions first. Thanks in advance!

Titleist TS2 Driver (10.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 Fairway Wood (16*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 Hybrid (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 Irons (5-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge (50*/11) w/ Dynamic Gold 115

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw Wedges (54*/10 and 58*/10) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour

Vokey SM6 Black w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour  (62*/8)

Scotty Cameron Futura X5r Putter (34”)

My rocket 3 is amazing. Soooooo good. Off the tee or off the turf. Sounds good and very forgiving.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 10.5* 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood 

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Tour X PROTO putter

Yea, definitely not going to sell the rapture. Just trying to decide if the m6 rocket would be as long off the tee but a little more user friendly off the deck as well. Can’t hit one around here so just just doing some facts gathering.

• Like 1

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw Wedges (54*/10 and 58*/10) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour

Rapture is a great stick. I had one for a little while but dumped it because it spun a little too much for me. I have the m6 15* fwy and I love it. Longer than the rapture and easier to hit off the deck. With that said the Rapture is more forgiving by design so maybe not apples to apples. If i were you I would look at the Original One by Taylormade. I saw it today and it looks great, 275cc and comes in 11.5 with adjustability.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

D@mn that looks sharp. I didn’t know anything about the original one. That’s a good looking club. Definitely looks more like something that could compete with the Rapture. Where the M6 rocket may compare more to a 3 deep or a titleist 3+??? Not sure, but that is a good looking club (and I’m no TM fanboy as you can see from my signature). Well, I guess there goes another $400 lol.

Thought it does look A LOT like the 2014 Ping Rapture lol

I was never crazy about the dedicated "strong 3 woods" or "driving woods"....there's a lot of 13-15 degree 3 woods that you can adjust strong, and these clubs maintain a lot of versatility off the turf too. I have a 12.75 lofted Titleist F3 and a 14 degree Epic Subzero, both with 80g low launch shafts, and they are bombers but also easier to hit off the turf.

So i wouldn't just look at the dedicated stuff. Almost any 3 wood now can be strong lofted

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @Troutfly said:

> I was never crazy about the dedicated "strong 3 woods" or "driving woods".

> You will regret selling so keep it- the Rapture is for real. Jeff's response is clouded by a deep resentment over it's original retail price ?

Hey any time you can buy a 3 wood for a higher price than any driver on the market, you've gotta jump on it! So yes....guilty

But, besides the outrageous price Ping charged for it, i actually was being truthful too, i tried out the Callaway 3deep versions 1 and 2 also....i just never got along with them, referring mostly to "bigger heads" or "deep faced" dedicated driving woods.

Always ended up preferring the normal 3 woods you could just adjust to 13 degrees

Also, the price Ping charged for it was horse**** :)

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @MtlJeff said:

> > @Troutfly said:

> > I was never crazy about the dedicated "strong 3 woods" or "driving woods".

> > You will regret selling so keep it- the Rapture is for real. Jeff's response is clouded by a deep resentment over it's original retail price ?

>

> Hey any time you can buy a 3 wood for a higher price than any driver on the market, you've gotta jump on it! So yes....guilty

>

> But, besides the outrageous price Ping charged for it, i actually was being truthful too, i tried out the Callaway 3deep versions 1 and 2 also....i just never got along with them, referring mostly to "bigger heads" or "deep faced" dedicated driving woods.

>

> Always ended up preferring the normal 3 woods you could just adjust to 13 degrees

>

> Also, the price Ping charged for it was horse**** :)

Ha- I absolutely agree, the length of today's fairways and Ping's price are both crazy. However, after finding a clean/used Rapture, I have to say it is a really good stick- long, good looking, and a fairway finder. Just the ticket for those of us having some type of driver issue.

> @TheFlyingWASP said:

> 2014 Ping Rapture 13* 3 wood vs the new TaylorMade M6 Rocket 3 14* wood....

>

> I'm still gaming the Rapture (but almost exclusively off the tee). I play on a lot of tight courses & it gets pulled out of the bag a couple times a round. I honestly love everything about it. I can bomb it long, low, & straight. But like a true Wrx-er, I'm always at least LOOKING for bigger & better.

>

> Neither the old SLDR Mini, nor the Hot 3 Deep could kick this one out of the bag, but I honestly haven't challenged it since those few tests quite a long time ago, but I saw the TM M6 Rocket 3 online the other day & it kinda got me curious again. It's .25" shorter, but the face isn't as deep (so may be usable off the deck at times). It's apparently also made of titanium plus it has the carbon crown.

>

> Any thoughts on these two strong / deep fairway woods? Any benefit to upgrading? Honestly no store around here has it in stock for me to demo, so I'm just getting thoughts & opinions first. Thanks in advance!

Try it so you'll know but I wouldnt expect much benefit.

The Rapture is a true "tweener" club -- 13 degree loft, titanium head, tungsten weights, much bigger head than a standard 3 wood, but smaller than a mini-driver. The M6 Rocket is just a three wood with 1 degree less loft. (God I despise TaylorMade's gimmicky marketing).

So, you could compare these two clubs, but it's no different than comparing the Rapture with any other three wood out there with slightly lower loft.

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

Would a better comparison be between the Rapture and the new TM Original One mentioned above? I've only seen a few pics online, but it looks surprisingly similar to the Rapture, even down to the shape of the weight on the bottom of the club. IDK why I'm even worrying about it at this point lol, I love my Rapture & really don't see anything changing that. Fun to compare. I ordered a Rocket 3 off of Amazon just so I could see it (none around here). It's due in today, but from everything I'm hearing it'll probably be back in the box & heading back to Amazon tomorrow lol. Original One has peaked my curiosity, but again.... love this Rapture.

> @Troutfly said:

> I was never crazy about the dedicated "strong 3 woods" or "driving woods".

> You will regret selling so keep it- the Rapture is for real. Jeff's response is clouded by a deep resentment over it's original retail price ?

I will never sell my Rapture. For some courses it is a real lifesaver.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

M6 3 Rocket (such a ridiculous name ?) arrived today. Okay... so for starters, as stated above, its nothing like a Rapture or the soon to be released Original One. This is a pretty standard 14* 3 wood that at least looks anyway like it shouldn't be too difficult to hit off the deck. Seems to have a similar face profile to my old 2016 M2. So while it will in no way be a Rapture replacement, I only use my Rapture off the tee, especially on bad driving days. However, I do have somewhat of a gap between my driver & my 17* 4 wood, so I'm very much considering adding this into the mix & just subbing the Rapture in for the driver on days when the driver is acting up. Anyone have any experience hitting this M6 Rocket off the deck? And why not just call it a 3+ ? Literally everything is the exact same as the 15* 3W except for 1* of loft lol.

??? yes lol 3 woodier for sure lol

• 1 year later...

I game the 14 degree rocket 3 wood but it is more of a off the tee club for tighter holes. dispersion is great on it and can be launched high off the tee, off the fairway it can be hard to hit but as i said i usually use off tee

Taylormade sim max 90  ATTAS 6star 6s 

Taylormade M6 14 UST proforce V2 

Taylormade M6 rescue 19Nippon GOST

Taylormade P770 4-PW Nippon Modus 105 stiff

Taylormade Hi-Toe 52, 56, 60 Nippon Modus 105 Wedge stiff

Taylormade Truss TB1

Taylormade TP5X Pix

Hey you know whats awesome,  the people who bought the 2014 Rapture 3 wood are probably JUST getting close to paying it off.  Few more years of payments and you'll own that baby outright!!!

I was debating between that 3 wood and a house in 2014. Went with the house because it was cheaper and got better financing rates than the Rapture 

Edited by MtlJeff

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Still have the old school Cleveland Hibore XL 2 Wood. Almost impossible to find nowadays. 16 degrees, 44" shaft, automatic off the tee fairway finder. Never see them much of these on various sites such as Ebay, and if you do they are pretty expensive for such an old club. Actually walked into out local Play It Again Sports, and found mine in great shape w/stock gold stiff shaft & headcover for $39.00 a few years back. It's not going anywhere now that I realize how accurate and easy it is to hit.

2 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Hey you know whats awesome,  the people who bought the 2014 Rapture 3 wood are probably JUST getting close to paying it off.  Few more years of payments and you'll own that baby outright!!!

I was debating between that 3 wood and a house in 2014. Went with the house because it was cheaper and got better financing rates than the Rapture 

Thought before opening thread “MtlJeff is going to make jokes about pricing of that Rapture AGAIN “- wasn’t disappointed 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

1. Anyone who says they have an “automatic fairway finder” either doesn’t measure or considers 60% automatic.

2. if you are asking whether or not to upgrade the raputure then one or two things is true. You like hearing all the “if ain’t broke!!!” Crowd telling you to keep it or deep down you know the tech has passed it by.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Johnny Manziel actually uses one of those Raptures in a Golfholics vlog- so got that going for it.😃 (set up for @MtlJeff). All joking aside, never get rid of a reliable fairway, know you stated not going anywhere, just had to make the public service announcement. The M6 rocket is also a good club, just really comes down to frequency of use off deck and need for versatility. Just remember, lots of players are in search of a viable driver alternative for certain holes and yardages, since you already have one, don’t make swing changes to fit something else in search of “better” that may not be needed.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu