Flight scope mevo: How accurate is it ?

Hi guys,

I've order the Mevo, looking for something to replace my ES14.

i was wondering how accurate the Mevo is compared to a TM, i could find some review but few of them with actual TM data to compare and they are from 2017, i bet since the mevo have received some firmware update ?

Any GWRXer that have some data to share ?

From the data i've gathered, he is what i found out:

* Ball Speed:

- most of the time ball speed will higher by 1 mph and up to 1.7 mph but its is consistently higher than TM, so you just need to retract 1mpH ball speed and you are pretty much spot on

*Club headspeed:

- always higher than TM by 3-4 Mph ( bit disapointing)

* Spin rate:

- mesures total spin so straigher is the shot the more accurate the spin mesured will be backspin ( no spin axis taken into account). if stright shoit, spin is 200-300 consistently lowe than TM.

*LA:

Consistenly higher by 2-3°

I would be interested in your findings. There was a lot of discussion about this device when it was first released, but it has since died down. Would love to hear some long term reviews, especially with the introduction of the Garmin G80.

Paradym 10.5 w/Graphite Design ADHD 5S

Paradym 3WHL w/ Tensei Blue 6S

Paradym 7W w/ Tensei Blue 6S

Ping 425 4H w/Tensei Orange 80HYS at 23°

Yonex Ezone CB 301 5-PW w/ Nippon Modus TOUR125S

Mizuno Copper T22 50S, 54D, 58X w/ Project X LZ 6.0

LAB Golf B.2

> @wedgegame said:

> I would be interested in your findings. There was a lot of discussion about this device when it was first released, but it has since died down. Would love to hear some long term reviews, especially with the introduction of the Garmin G80.

Yeah, my pro has a trackman so when i'll take a lesson in may, i'd be able to make comparison

Perhaps a comparison including the Swing Caddie SC300 which supposedly is Doppler-based and more in-line with price of Mevo

SC300 Swing Caddie

$549.99

•Measures

» Carry/Total Distance

» Smash Factor

» Launch Angle

» Swing Speed

» Apex (Max Height)

» Ball Speed

•Doppler Radar Technology

•Voice Output of Distance

•Instant Feedback via LCD Display

•Adjustable Loft Angles

•Apps (iOS Available, Android- Available in June 2019) for Real-time/Integrated Shot Data and Statistics for Each Club

•Spin Data now available via App

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

I would love to see a comparison of the G80, mevo, and SC300 to a higher end unit. For me the G80 is in the lead because I don't have another GPS/rangefinder solution, but if SC300 spin numbers are accurate than that might tip the scales.

My issue with the mevo is the lack of a display. For range sessions it would seen cumbersome to have to always reference my phone, but ultimately data accuracy is going to be the determining factor.

Paradym 10.5 w/Graphite Design ADHD 5S

Paradym 3WHL w/ Tensei Blue 6S

Paradym 7W w/ Tensei Blue 6S

Ping 425 4H w/Tensei Orange 80HYS at 23°

Yonex Ezone CB 301 5-PW w/ Nippon Modus TOUR125S

Mizuno Copper T22 50S, 54D, 58X w/ Project X LZ 6.0

LAB Golf B.2

It seems highly unlikely to be anything other than disappointed when comparing a TM to a MEVO based on the sheer difference in data sets.

I agree with @bulls9999 if you are in the market for what would be a *personal* LM for recreational use, then compare the SC’s, ES14s, and MEVO’s of the world for a more realistic apples to apples approach.

I have compared them, and came to the conclusion that the MEVO will be the LM for me based solely on my garage setup and the app interface. I have no problem using little silver stickers to better record more accurate spin rates, and if TM says my SS is 1 mph less, and BS is roughly 3-4 mph less then what the MEVO is tracking, though certainly an impactful margin in golf, it’s smaller than I would probably expect given the roughly $17,500 price discrepancy. The big thing you miss out on from the commercial/pro variants, is dispersion, attack/descent angles, face path data, and the ability to simulate different atmospheric/environmental conditions...but pretty sure we won’t get that on ANY monitor that’s less than $1,500...skytrak is probably the cheapest LM with a more robust data set.

The primary reason for me wanting to go with a MEVO is, it gives me the basics I need to figure out gapping, what different swing %’s do to those distances, and I can continue to work on accuracy and consistency in my ball striking...definitely worth $450 to me, and the app interface is sleek, well designed, and the automatic video clipping function is a pretty cool extra.

> @wedgegame said:

> I would love to see a comparison of the G80, mevo, and SC300 to a higher end unit. For me the G80 is in the lead because I don't have another GPS/rangefinder solution, but if SC300 spin numbers are accurate than that might tip the scales.

>

> My issue with the mevo is the lack of a display. For range sessions it would seen cumbersome to have to always reference my phone, but ultimately data accuracy is going to be the determining factor.

From what I have seen, it appears the spin rates are not measured on the SC300. In terms of accuracy, that's a pretty big deal. The ball speed, club speed, LA, etc are the easier numbers to measure, the ability to measure spin rates is what sets the monitors apart. The SC300 seems to do nothing more than guess...same as the ES14...and many of the other low budget monitors.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Right now there is no personal LM that can really give you what you need in terms of spin, launch, ect...

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @J13 said:

> Right now there is no personal LM that can really give you what you need in terms of spin, launch, ect...

Yah, I’m inclined to agree if the intent is to have incredibly accurate spin data...

If I was a <5 handicap, I would probably be saving up (or selling a kidney) for an x3 or TM, but I have a lloooooonnngg way to go...coming from a 13 in my early twenties, and now 4 kids later and lucky to play 10 rounds a year, I break 90 one or twice a year, and all I have time for IS practice in my garage, which I just started this year, so I will cast my display to my Apple TV hooked to a monitor in my garage and use the silver stickers to get “improved” spin numbers...but I will just accept the MEVO for what it is...it won’t come close to giving you what you get from any pro monitors but it *can* be what you need if you adjust your expectations.

I need to know my carry distances, work on contact, and I like that when I hit a good shot (or a bad one) I would be able to watch the swing that caused it with the video clipping feature. MEVO does all of that, and after sessions I can manage data with my phone or laptop...not sure how SC300 works with cloud data and access/organization, but I am looking into that one along with the G80 at the moment.

They seemingly have added an 'app' that now includes Spin Data? You'd think they'd be advertising that 'louder' instead of being buried at the bottom of the list as an "oh yea, we just added this...."

Swing Caddie SC300 $549.99

•Measures

» Carry/Total Distance

» Smash Factor

» Launch Angle

» Swing Speed

» Apex (Max Height)

» Ball Speed

•Doppler Radar Technology

•Voice Output of Distance

•Instant Feedback via LCD Display

•Adjustable Loft Angles

•Apps (iOS Available, Android- Available in June 2019) for Real-time/Integrated Shot Data and Statistics for Each Club

•Unit does not require the App to operate

**•Spin Data now available via App NEW**

•Measuring Range: 15-370 Yds

•Including a charger and a remote

> @Golfrnut said:

> > @wedgegame said:

> > I would love to see a comparison of the G80, mevo, and SC300 to a higher end unit. For me the G80 is in the lead because I don't have another GPS/rangefinder solution, but if SC300 spin numbers are accurate than that might tip the scales.

> >

> > My issue with the mevo is the lack of a display. For range sessions it would seen cumbersome to have to always reference my phone, but ultimately data accuracy is going to be the determining factor.

>

> From what I have seen, it appears the spin rates are not measured on the SC300. In terms of accuracy, that's a pretty big deal. The ball speed, club speed, LA, etc are the easier numbers to measure, the ability to measure spin rates is what sets the monitors apart. The SC300 seems to do nothing more than guess...same as the ES14...and many of the other low budget monitors.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

> @bulls9999 said:

> They seemingly have added an 'app' that now includes Spin Data? You'd think they'd be advertising that 'louder' instead of being buried at the bottom of the list as an "oh yea, we just added this...."

> Swing Caddie SC300 $549.99

> •Measures

> » Carry/Total Distance

> » Smash Factor

> » Launch Angle

> » Swing Speed

> » Apex (Max Height)

> » Ball Speed

> •Doppler Radar Technology

> •Voice Output of Distance

> •Instant Feedback via LCD Display

> •Adjustable Loft Angles

> •Apps (iOS Available, Android- Available in June 2019) for Real-time/Integrated Shot Data and Statistics for Each Club

> •Unit does not require the App to operate

> **•Spin Data now available via App NEW**

> •Measuring Range: 15-370 Yds

> •Including a charger and a remote

>

> > @Golfrnut said:

> > > @wedgegame said:

> > > I would love to see a comparison of the G80, mevo, and SC300 to a higher end unit. For me the G80 is in the lead because I don't have another GPS/rangefinder solution, but if SC300 spin numbers are accurate than that might tip the scales.

> > >

> > > My issue with the mevo is the lack of a display. For range sessions it would seen cumbersome to have to always reference my phone, but ultimately data accuracy is going to be the determining factor.

> >

> > From what I have seen, it appears the spin rates are not measured on the SC300. In terms of accuracy, that's a pretty big deal. The ball speed, club speed, LA, etc are the easier numbers to measure, the ability to measure spin rates is what sets the monitors apart. The SC300 seems to do nothing more than guess...same as the ES14...and many of the other low budget monitors.

>

>

Judging by the more recent reviews out there, it still looks like "derived" data from the other measured info. That's probably why there is still no claims to measuring spin, only displaying it.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

> @Teed426 said:

> > @J13 said:

> > Right now there is no personal LM that can really give you what you need in terms of spin, launch, ect...

>

> Yah, I’m inclined to agree if the intent is to have incredibly accurate spin data...

>

> If I was a <5 handicap, I would probably be saving up (or selling a kidney) for an x3 or TM, but I have a lloooooonnngg way to go...coming from a 13 in my early twenties, and now 4 kids later and lucky to play 10 rounds a year, I break 90 one or twice a year, and all I have time for IS practice in my garage, which I just started this year, so I will cast my display to my Apple TV hooked to a monitor in my garage and use the silver stickers to get “improved” spin numbers...but I will just accept the MEVO for what it is...it won’t come close to giving you what you get from any pro monitors but it *can* be what you need if you adjust your expectations.

>

> I need to know my carry distances, work on contact, and I like that when I hit a good shot (or a bad one) I would be able to watch the swing that caused it with the video clipping feature. MEVO does all of that, and after sessions I can manage data with my phone or laptop...not sure how SC300 works with cloud data and access/organization, but I am looking into that one along with the G80 at the moment.

Its not worth it to buy a Trackman. If i need to know my distances I go on the golf course and hit shots. If i want more data i just go somewhere that has a trackman and pay a small fee to get dialed in or fit into clubs ect... For one person it's not worth $20k unless you make a living playing the game.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @J13 said:

>

> Its not worth it to buy a Trackman. If i need to know my distances I go on the golf course and hit shots. If i want more data i just go somewhere that has a trackman and pay a small fee to get dialed in or fit into clubs ect... For one person it's not worth $20k unless you make a living playing the game.

I couldn't agree more. To be honest I doubt that anyone off-tour(s) would benefit from that level of minutiae at _every_ practice session.

My local place sells trackman time @ $50/hour and I am glad to pay them for 3 or 4 hours over the course of the year if I am working on some significant change, or comparing balls or other components. Other than that hitting balls at the range will tell me nearly everything that I need to know.

• Like 1
Comfort brings trust, trust brings consistency, consistency drops indexes.

In my mind, the best use of these personal launch monitors is only to dial in distances, especially on approach shots and irons. LA may be helpful...I'm looking at picking up the SC300 now. Mainly, for target mode and practicing and dialing in my irons....mainly, cause I suck. I am already in lessons getting TM data every few weeks, but as my swing changes, it will be helpful to understand my gapping and distances better.

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

> @games said:

> MEVO launch angles with driver are getting thrown off when people don't set the unit on its box, so it sits at the same level as the ball sitting on a tee...

I haven't seen any data to support driver launch angles being off as of yet, but definitely want to look into it! The MEVO does have a threaded tripod mount on the bottom(mostly for baseball applications), maybe the best setup is with one of those flexible spider leg camera holder things?

There is another really good thread same topic and the YouTube videos from BGI golf are great.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18900847#Comment_18900847

Basically proved to me that the newly released spin data for the SC300, kinda sucks right now...they shot a flag at 40 yards, then hit to it with both devices tracking. The MEVO was spot on, the SC300 was off by almost 10%...that’s massive from that short of a distance...and SC300 doesn’t give you spin on lofts greater than 7 iron(yet)? That tells me distances are going to be way off on approach shots, and isn’t that the primary reason to get one of these things? I want to know what 50% 60% 70% 80% distances are for PW/GW/SW/LW, if data is off by 5-10 yards, then it is utterly useless.

> @Teed426 said: That tells me distances are going to be way off on approach shots, and isn’t that the primary reason to get one of these things? I want to know what 50% 60% 70% 80% distances are for PW/GW/SW/LW, if data is off by 5-10 yards, then it is utterly useless.

>

So which of these devices can actually "see" where the ball lands using radar? I'd think for fine-tuning your partial-wedge distances that's the one thing you need above all else. Having a device that measures initial launch parameters then guesses how far the ball will go isn't all that useful if you're trying to narrow your distance dispersion on a 75-yard shot from plus or minus 10 yards down to plus or minus 5 yards.

The only extended period in my life where I felt my wedge game was consistently the best part of my game (not great, mind you, just far better than the other parts of my 20+ hcp hackers game) was back when my home course had a range, hitting off pretty decently maintained grass, with like 8 or 9 different flags at distances from 35 up to maybe 120 yards or so.

I had just bought my first rangefinder so I could shoot the yardages then sit there for an hour hitting range balls at various distance flag with every wedge in the bag. It was actually fun and while I was doing it obsessively it was nothing to get up and down three or four times in a round after missing a green by 30, 40, 50 yards. Now I'm doing good to get down in the three reliably in those situations.

> @"North Butte" said:

> The only extended period in my life where I felt my wedge game was consistently the best part of my game (not great, mind you, just far better than the other parts of my 20+ hcp hackers game) was back when my home course had a range, hitting off pretty decently maintained grass, with like 8 or 9 different flags at distances from 35 up to maybe 120 yards or so.

>

> I had just bought my first rangefinder so I could shoot the yardages then sit there for an hour hitting range balls at various distance flag with every wedge in the bag. It was actually fun and while I was doing it obsessively it was nothing to get up and down three or four times in a round after missing a green by 30, 40, 50 yards.

>

That sounds pretty awesome...if I had access to a facility like that, I probably wouldn’t be obsessively searching for the best $500 monitor for hitting into a net...my time to spent at a course is INCREDIBLY limited, and my local range is expensive, and absolutely TERRIBLE...

I am better suited hitting my own TP5s into a net to practice contact, swing sequencing, and just get reps swinging a club for free. Hopefully someday when kids are older, and work is less demanding, I can spend more time and money on it and I will hopefully have access to some of the nicer facilities that have all of that in the area (real, well-maintained grass would be super). But for the moment, shagging balls in the garage for 30 minutes, 3 - 5 times a week (when I’m not recovering from wrist surgery) is all I can manage.

Better than what I’ve done for the last 10 years, which is play 6 - 10 rounds a year, a handful of scrambles, and wonder why I am struggling to break 90 consistently...(I have since lowered my expectations, lol...but now I am hoping to build them back up to unrealistic levels, and get my game back to “pre-adult/parent/life” levels with a lot more targeted practice, and hopefully more rounds on the course.

Lofty goals...but maybe I’ll find a happy medium...12 rounds a year, and 6 X 30 min garage range sessions per week!

i3j3zfgtymt2.png

Just got my Mevo back from Flightscope because it was not reading accurately. These numbers don’t seem to add up again. Seems to be under estimating carry.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

> @BB28403 said:

> > @"Long Shot" said:

> > i3j3zfgtymt2.png

> > Just got my Mevo back from Flightscope because it was not reading accurately. These numbers don’t seem to add up again. Seems to be under estimating carry.

>

> Hate to break it to you.

> Sometimes we Think we hit it further than we actually do.

>

> Do you use it at the range ?

You are really not breaking anything to me, and you can save the sarcasm but I am sure you couldn't help yourself as the ****** comment is indicative of the type of person your are here on this forum. The numbers are from outdoors range. I have trackman numbers to compare it too. I am under no false impressions of how far I hit it, and not thinking I am a 290 carry guy, but I do know from recent fittings with trackman indoors and a trackman session outdoors that my carry is around 260 plus or minus on each of those other machines, while Mevo is giving 250 plus or minus 5.

Overall the unit is really accurate with my irons, seems . Just getting mixed results with driver data.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B