2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Your favorite blade irons

moorebaseball

> @Forged4ever said:

> > @rgk5 said:

> > Thanks Richard. They were my second favorite Mac iron after the 985 Silver Scot although the MTs had a superior leading edge grind. Why the **** did MacGregor collapse? My guess is they joined the game improvement bandwagon too late

>

> I could spout my .03 worth though a lot of it is said much better & much more succinctly in this article, which I found to be fair, accurate and enlightening...

>

> https://www.google.com/amp/s/golfweek.com/2009/12/14/macgregor-demise-american-classic/amp/

>

> Stay well?

> Richard

I knew most of the details about the demise and the chronology of same. It was a shame as so many of us grew up with their irons along with Staffs, Golfcrafts, First Flights, Hogans and Top Flites. All were great forgings if you bought the right model.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

As I’ve mentioned before, and this was told to me by not one, but TWO Mizzy design engineers, though only one of em worked on the 87’s, however the copper underlay was nothing more than a sprayed on “mist,” and the one involved said that their big concern was an even symmetrical coating, and where the myth started about it contributing to the “soft” feel these engineers had absolutely no idea, as it was never spoken to by Mizuno, and while both stated that there is no way that there was enough copper applied to affect the feel of the iron as it was only sprayed on to enhance the bonding properties of the chrome to the steel, both said that it was a great “myth” that was beneficial to Mizzy and as I also said, when I asked the engineer who had worked on the 87’s why they wouldn’t correct such an erroneous statement, he looked at me like I was a total flippin a**hole, laughed and said only, “yea right,” lolol.

The reason that this so fascinated me was having Played two sets of 87’s across 3 1/2 seasons as I put a set of Proto 14’s in the bag in the fall of ‘91, about 10-12 months before their retail release in the US, and they for me, the spec nightmare aside, as anyone Playin Mizzies back then knows that if you got half your lofts correct on a 9 iron set, you’d hit the lottery, lolol, blew away the 87’s feel wise, though I realize that feel is very subjective matter and my sense of feel is predicated on the auditory sound of my iron at impact versus some physical feeling in my hands, outright boning a long iron aside, lol.

So I asked the engineers if it were possible that for some, the copper changed the sound at impact and both could not emphasize enough how little copper was used and the fact that it was applied in a spray form led both to believe that this would not affect the sound at impact, and the older Gent, who was involved in the design of the 87’s, attributed it to the “placebo” effect. It initially bothered me cuz as I’ve always said, I thought that the 87’s were firmer then both the 14’s, which I would Play for 12 years, and then the 33’s, which I put in the bag in 2003. The only other guy in town with 87’s in the bag, the Oakmont Asst. That I spoke of, thought that the 14’s were softer than the 87’s, though he felt that the 87’s were softer than the 29’s, which he put in the bag after the 14’s.

As I’ve stated, I just didn’t see many bags with 87’s in em, and the few that I did see, none of the guys kept em in the bag when the 14’s and 29’s came out, as a truly great blade stays in the bag, as my Staff Tour Blades did for 11 years and the 14’s did for 12 years and through 4-5 subsequent MP releases following the 87’s. They, like my Grand Pap, God Rest his soul, have definitely grown “greater” as the decades have passed??, especially for an iron that was designed TOTALLY off of Hogan’s Personal iron, as have the number of guys who bagged em, lmao???.

Regardless, those are GORGEOUS irons 95124, and I’d throw a shaft in them, put leather wrap grips on em and put em in a glass top felt lined coffee table!!

Those are too da** beautiful to hit, lol?

All the Best,

RP

• Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

> @rgk5 said:

> > @Forged4ever said:

> > > @rgk5 said:

> > > Thanks Richard. They were my second favorite Mac iron after the 985 Silver Scot although the MTs had a superior leading edge grind. Why the **** did MacGregor collapse? My guess is they joined the game improvement bandwagon too late

> >

> > I could spout my .03 worth though a lot of it is said much better & much more succinctly in this article, which I found to be fair, accurate and enlightening...

> >

> > https://www.google.com/amp/s/golfweek.com/2009/12/14/macgregor-demise-american-classic/amp/

> >

> > Stay well?

> > Richard

>

> I knew most of the details about the demise and the chronology of same. It was a shame as so many of us grew up with their irons along with Staffs, Golfcrafts, First Flights, Hogans and Top Flites. All were great forgings if you bought the right model.

A funny aside is that Jack had approached Sam prior to purchasing Mac in the late 70’s and Sam, who could be spiteful and definitely had a loooooong memory and never met a grudge that he couldn’t carry to his grave, felt slighted by MacGregor approximately FOURTY YEARS BEFORE, when they had signed the trio of Byron Nelson, hogan and Jimmy Demaret, and though he was with Staff at the time, it was more of a season to season deal and the word “hayseed” had been thrown around regarding Sam, and if there was one thing that he was extremely sensitive to, and I saw this through my years around him, and that was the perception that he was a “hick” or “hayseed” from the backwards of Virginia. He would joke about it but God help you if you joked about it and him in public, lol.

The powers that be at Mac felt that Demaret, ever the showman & crowd favorite, was a better fit than Sam, and Sam felt slighted even though Pete said that Sam had actually used Mac’s signing of the “Triad” to get his own contract(this happened over a period of a year to a year and a half) with Wilson bumped up, insinuating with Staff that Mac had made behind the scene overtures to Sam(they had not), and Wilson bit hard, giving Sam a $10,000 check, twice what all three combined had been signed for($5,000), and the “hayseed” went about his business, lol.

Pete thought that the Nicklaus offer was a great opportunity and tried to talk Sam into letting his people do the leg work with Nicklaus’s, however, along with being spiteful, Sam also could be as stubborn as a mule and he didn’t wanna hear about it, his mind was made up, lol

Another worthless story from days gone by, lol?

Cheers?

RP

• Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

> @Forged4ever said:

> > @rgk5 said:

> > > @Forged4ever said:

> > > > @rgk5 said:

> > > > Thanks Richard. They were my second favorite Mac iron after the 985 Silver Scot although the MTs had a superior leading edge grind. Why the **** did MacGregor collapse? My guess is they joined the game improvement bandwagon too late

> > >

> > > I could spout my .03 worth though a lot of it is said much better & much more succinctly in this article, which I found to be fair, accurate and enlightening...

> > >

> > > https://www.google.com/amp/s/golfweek.com/2009/12/14/macgregor-demise-american-classic/amp/

> > >

> > > Stay well?

> > > Richard

> >

> > I knew most of the details about the demise and the chronology of same. It was a shame as so many of us grew up with their irons along with Staffs, Golfcrafts, First Flights, Hogans and Top Flites. All were great forgings if you bought the right model.

>

> A funny aside is that Jack had approached Sam prior to purchasing Mac in the late 70’s and Sam, who could be spiteful and definitely had a loooooong memory and never met a grudge that he couldn’t carry to his grave, felt slighted by MacGregor approximately FOURTY YEARS BEFORE, when they had signed the trio of Byron Nelson, hogan and Jimmy Demaret, and though he was with Staff at the time, it was more of a season to season deal and the word “hayseed” had been thrown around regarding Sam, and if there was one thing that he was extremely sensitive to, and I saw this through my years around him, and that was the perception that he was a “hick” or “hayseed” from the backwards of Virginia. He would joke about it but God help you if you joked about it and him in public, lol.

>

> The powers that be at Mac felt that Demaret, ever the showman & crowd favorite, was a better fit than Sam, and Sam felt slighted even though Pete said that Sam had actually used Mac’s signing of the “Triad” to get his own contract(this happened over a period of a year to a year and a half) with Wilson bumped up, insinuating with Staff that Mac had made behind the scene overtures to Sam(they had not), and Wilson bit hard, giving Sam a $10,000 check, twice what all three combined had been signed for($5,000), and the “hayseed” went about his business, lol.

>

> Pete thought that the Nicklaus offer was a great opportunity and tried to talk Sam into letting his people do the leg work with Nicklaus’s, however, along with being spiteful, Sam also could be as stubborn as a mule and he didn’t wanna hear about it, his mind was made up, lol

>

> Another worthless story from days gone by, lol?

>

> Cheers?

> RP

Yes, Sam had the elephant memory and loved the $.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

I'm currently play Titleist 718 MB's and love them, but I think my all time favorite with the Callaways RAZR MB's.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* w/Mitsubishi Diamana GT 60S
Titleist TSR2 15* w/VA Composites Nemesys 75S
Taylormade Stealth 2 Hybrid 19* w/VA Composites Nemesys 90S
Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW w/Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist SM9 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/Project X LZ 6.0
Edel EAS 2.0 Putter
Vice Pro

The best and last set of blades I played were the **MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025-M**. Super soft feel, great trajectory and relatively easy to hit.

Unfortunately, when the new groove rules took effect they were declared non-conforming by the USGA. As I play in club and local tournaments I had to stop playing them.

![](http://www.igolfvalueguide.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/r/irnmg052.jpg "")

TaylorMade M5 10.5° /  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 S
Cobra King Speedzone 18.5@17° / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 S
TaylorMade  M3 3/19° Rescue/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 80H S
Callaway X Forged Utility 21°@22° /  TT Elevate 95 S

Honma T//World Rose Proto MB 5-10 / N.S. Pro Modus3 120TX
Edison 51° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 56° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T22 60° / DG Tour Issue S400
L.A.B. B.2 Brass/ BGT Stability Tour Black
Maxfli Tour X

I consider the mp-67 and Nike Pro Vapor blades. 67 has same cut muscle as 32s. Vapors are just a new muscle back styling where they have slimmed the top section more. Not sure what the Honma look like though.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

If I found the correct images online, the Honmas look like Bulletbacks.

FWIW, I say si

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I always thought copper was used as like an adherence layer in nickel chrome or something to that effect.....makes sense with the Mizuno story. Copper is something I have always wanted to do. Just needed right set....

@Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > @gbartko said:

> > > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > Good grief, if you copied and pasted some of these posts into a wine forum they wouldn't be out of place.

> > >

> > > "Ah, yes, the Yonex Ezone MBs. Buttery notes, earthy offset, inviting aromas. Smooth aftertaste and silky bouquet sets it apart, especially paired with such subtle offset." *adjusts blazer that has elbow pads*

> >

> > stay in your lane with the unwashed masses

>

> Read that as your avatar.

>

>

>

> trzw6z8c5xy3.jpg

> 6mubzdwkct3w.jpg

>

These are downright awesome. That is my ideal looking toe...

> @Bigmean said:

> I always thought copper was used as like an adherence layer in nickel chrome or something to that effect.....makes sense with the Mizuno story. Copper is something I have always wanted to do. Just needed right set....

That's pretty much it, Biggie.

The irony in the TN-87 myth is that copper is firmer than nickel, or so it's been said on the intarwebs over the years. I admit I haven't checked hardness scales lately to be sure. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I would think at the end of the day your irons feel as soft as the forged steel...like if You had the same 7 irons, one chrome, one copper, one raw and one plated in feathers with all the platings the same thickness, I would be willing to bet when they are thrown at a ball at 88mph you mostly just feel the metal and where the impact was off center if off center.