Snell MTB vs. Vice Pro Plus (Updated after playing)

I’m really interested in the potential value of the Snell MTB and Vice Pro balls and want to pull the trigger on one of them. But that value really only comes in to play with a big purchase, which I’m hesitant about since I’ve never played with either. As far as I can find, there isn’t a way I can buy a sample sleeve or something to try them out.

I know Snell gets a ton of love and Vice seems to have fallen out of favor, but I’m wondering if anyone has played around with both and has some insight to share

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anyone is interested, I put the Vice Pro Plus, MTB-black, and MTB-X into play over the course of several rounds the last couple weeks.   I feel like they were all fairly comparable without big gla

I strayed from the Snell MTB last year and it won't happen again. I have no desire to try another brand of ball. The new black is as good as it gets in my opinion.

I've played Vice Pros for the last 5 years and have been happy with the performance and price.  However, about 1 in 6 balls of the last batch I bought would develop small tears in the cover within the

You can buy a 10 pack on Vice. 2 of each of their models.

I just bit the bullet and ordered 6 dozen (5 White, 1 Green) Vice Pro Plus without hitting them. From everything I've read they won't be bad enough that I won't play them. It was either that or buy more Used/Refinished Taylormade TP5's. I haven't paid for new balls in over 10 years.

They both have sample packs. It's not one sleeve but it allows you to compare their balls. I think the Vice sample pack is a better value. It comes with 2 of each of their balls so you can compare all of their balls types head to head. You can always try and find someone who plays the Snell and buy a sleeve or if they are a friend see if they will let you have a sleeve.

It would be down to who manufacturers them better. The bigger names have better quality control than these farmed out Mom and pops. Because vice, snell, etc etc use Korean or Asian plants to manufacture their balls, basically outsourcing it.

If you think about it the bigger the company the bigger the facility making the balls. The larger the order the more attention goes into the batch.

I strayed from the Snell MTB last year and it won't happen again. I have no desire to try another brand of ball. The new black is as good as it gets in my opinion.

• Like 1

Titleist TS2
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Ping Anser 20,
Wilson V6's  3-GW
Ping Glide
58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

Ive played both and Snell is a much better ball than the vice.

TXG did a comparison on several of the boutique balls vs the ProV1. If launch monitor data is of interest to you, then check it out.

> @"Bones." said:

> I’m really interested in the potential value of the Snell MTB and Vice Pro balls and want to pull the trigger on one of them. But that value really only comes in to play with a big purchase, which I’m hesitant about since I’ve never played with either. As far as I can find, there isn’t a way I can buy a sample sleeve or something to try them out.

>

> I know Snell gets a ton of love and Vice seems to have fallen out of favor, but I’m wondering if anyone has played around with both and has some insight to share

>

I recently switched from the Snell MTB Black to the new MTB-X, I'm a fan and I 'll be sticking with them for the foreseeable future. I've also tried the Vice Pro+ and Vice Pro but personally like the feel of the Snell balls around the green and off the putter face. My advice would be trying out each, the Snells are 6 of each, but Vice really has an extremely comprehensive sample pack as @hacker49 said:

> They both have sample packs. It's not one sleeve but it allows you to compare their balls. I think the Vice sample pack is a better value. It comes with 2 of each of their balls so you can compare all of their balls types head to head. You can always try and find someone who plays the Snell and buy a sleeve or if they are a friend see if they will let you have a sleeve.

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered sample packs for both, even though the vice pack has several balls I'm unlikely to use. Figured I'd just put them in play and see how they work. I'm not a member anywhere so I can't really test them besides chipping and putting.

Side note, got the Snell's today and it's pretty cool that Dean leaves a hand written note in the package like he does.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, I put the Vice Pro Plus, MTB-black, and MTB-X into play over the course of several rounds the last couple weeks.

I feel like they were all fairly comparable without big glaring differences, but the one that I liked the most was the MTB Black. I got similar distances with all three, though the Snells were consistently 5-10 yards longer than the Vice. I did not get much difference between the MTB-black and MTB-X, despite the recent testing done by other website(s). However, I felt like the MTB-X was a little looser with the driver than the black.

Both Snells performed really well around the green. I was getting great, but not excessive, back spin on approaches with both Snells, and they both checked up great with chips and pitches. The Vice pro plus seemed to roll out a bit more.

I wouldn't have a problem playing all three but I just felt like I had better overall control with the MTB-Black. Of course, this was just a few rounds playing these balls side by side using sample packs (total 2 Vice Pro Plus, 6 MTB-B, 6MTB-X) so I couldn't comment on consistency within a larger sample size. That being said, Dean's reputation, resume, and personal note gives me a feeling of confidence (false or not) that he's paying attention to detail and stands behind this product.

I went ahead and ordered 5 dozen, and feel pretty good about it.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

@Bones. I’m really interested in a follow-up review! 
I‘ve been buying MTB Blacks and really loved them, but here in Switzerland, the price including customs and shipping ended up being the same as ProV1s and the likes- too high for a 19 capper who is still losing a couple balls per round. 
I’m almost sure the Vice Pro (which can be had for cheaper here thsn Snells, as there’s a Swiss distributor) fits me better than the Pro Plus. @DivinDave said the Vice is inferior, but by how much and how so, if that’s even true?

I’m using Srixon Q-Star Tour lakeballs now and they are pretty good, but even at my level, the lower spin around the greens is noticeable. 
They scuff up pretty easily, too. But they’re around $1,25/ball and that’s a huge factor for me. 
Looking forward to more comments!

I've played Vice Pros for the last 5 years and have been happy with the performance and price.  However, about 1 in 6 balls of the last batch I bought would develop small tears in the cover within the first nine holes.  I'm just finishing up a dozen sample Snell balls and really like the MTB Black.  It feels a tad firmer than the Pro and I get a couple of yards more off the driver.  Just my experience, YMMV. 

• Thanks 1

Vice Pro Plus feel and perform great for me, I can't say the same for the Snell's I've tried. The new 2020 Vice Pro Plus is an improved ball which I'm seeing more distance off the tee. I believe the bigger core is leading to these results. With either four-piece ball you're not going to get a considerable amount of performance difference from one ball to the next, just get the one which feels and performs best for you. 

Edited by snagy2000

Wonder why they stopped making the Project (a)..

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5*, 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
Hogan Apex Edge forged irons, 5-E, Apex 3 
Mizuno 52, 56, 60 wedges
Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball, 36" --  Ball: Snell MTB Black

On 9/10/2020 at 9:51 AM, Twism86 said:

They just call it the Tour Response now, essentially. Same 3 piece, urethane cover + new name = Wow new ball, sales go up! 

Had to also get the word "tour" in there like all the others.  Thanks.

• Like 1

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5*, 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
Hogan Apex Edge forged irons, 5-E, Apex 3 
Mizuno 52, 56, 60 wedges
Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball, 36" --  Ball: Snell MTB Black

• 2 weeks later...

I mainly play Snell. I recently got my hands on a Vice Pro Soft and a Vice Tour. I thought the Pro Soft was very good. Am transitioning from the MTB-X to the Black because I want to bring the trajectory down a bit. I was watching Bryson hit those high bombs and it looked familiar - only mine are a leeeetle bit shorter, haha.