My Golf Spy Ball Test - General Discussion

rkelso184

> @crazygolfnut said:

> I get the stats in the study such as Avg. Ball Speed, Launch Angle, etc. The one number that stands out for me is the Shot Area wich is the dispersion or grouping of shots. Since I am closer to the 85 MPH Driver Speed, those are the numbers that I am looking at.

>

> I find it interesting that the Driver worst number is 9.3 times larger area that the best number.

> Driver Best

> ProV 1X - 27

>

> Driver Worst

> Snell MTB Black - 140

> Inesis Tour 900 - 145

> Snell MTB-X - 157

> Callaway ERC Soft - 203

> Titleist Tour Soft - 251

>

> The 7 iron number has a 11.7 times larger area from the best to the worst.

> 7 Iron Best

> Mizuno RB Tour X - 12

>

> 7 Iron Worst

> Snell MTB Black - 87

> Mizuno TB Tour - 89

> TaylorMade TP5X – 100

> Maxfli Tour - 109

> Maxfli Tour X - 140

>

> Any thoughts on this?

Their samples are one to two orders of magnitude too small to support ANY conclusions about dispersion, variability or manufacturing tolerances.

> @mmack067 said:

> Tony in the comment section:

> TONY COVEY 2 DAYS AGO

> It’s also worth mentioning that we’re using a 2-sigma confidence interval to create what amounts to an ~85% confidence distribution area which results in larger values than the actual dispersion area.

That's the thing that makes me question the whole dispersion thing. I would like to see a photo of where all the balls of 1 type landed instead of them just listing "shot area".

• Like 2

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @dhartmann34 said:

> > **I thought this comment and reply from the testing site was QUITE telling for the callaway results.....Especially how Callaway staffers aren't playing the true ball itself...which I've always known. But if it's literally almost none...That's telling. **

> >

> > ****HUMZA 5 HOURS AGO

> > In all of this, I am truly astonished to see how poorly you have shown Callaway, the established #2 in the ball market, to have performed. They have been a runaway retail success since the original Chrome Soft came out and people of all abilities play them regularly. However in all your metrics, they seem to be slower/shorter/wilder/less consistent than the competition. I have tested them against the TP5 and Pro V1 from time to time and haven’t noticed any significant difference. If anything, I have preferred them on short game shots, where they feel very responsive and have great spin control. I don’t understand how they are so popular if there is such a performance drop off compared to others. Surely their success can’t be all down to marketing!?

> >

> > REPLY

> > TONY COVEY 5 HOURS AGO

> > It’s almost entirely marketing driven and relies heavily on the idea that golfers will identify with a brand and a product and often see what they want to see because of it. The CS is short. Everybody in the industry knows it’s short (and that it doesn’t spin around the green). Callaway knows its’s short. IMO, the compression vs. ball speed chart illustrates one of the most eye-opening things we’ve ever uncovered in testing. Soft is slow and soft doesn’t spin.

> >

> > Consider this: a significant number of Titleist PGA Tour guys play the retail ball. Tiger plays the retail version of the Bridgestone ball. Until Callaway released the new CSX Triple Track (a ball that’s significantly different from the non-TT CSX), next to none of its PGA Tour staff played the retail ball. Tour guys aren’t big on giving up distance or greenside spin for feel. Consumers will. The reality is that over the last few years, several Callaway staffers have broken contract to play a non-Callaway ball.

> > So yeah, a lot of marketing driven by an awareness that once consumers decide they like a product, they’ll be inclined to accept responsibility for the deficiencies…things like “I guess I didn’t catch that one as good as I thought”. Sometimes it really is the ball. ****

> >

> > > @Oldboy said:

> > > it wasnt really soft ball = bad it was soft ball = slow ballspeeds and no greenside spin .. this is a great read with very interesting results imo .. yes callaway took it in the balls .. literally with this one .. in the comment section its stated that callaway is all marketing not performance driven .. ouch

> >

> >

>

> I commented that Callaway should just dump the retail ball and sell the Tour ball. Why would they not do this? Admitting past failure?

Goes to show that those who love Callway will love any ball Callaway makes and believe anything they are told that the ball will do. Callaway knows this, and knows that if they say the chrome soft will have faster ball speeds and more greenside spin than anyone their loyalists will believe it and 'verify' however they want. The bigger promises you make via marketing, the harder you fall when a test like this goes to show that your messaging doesn't hold weight.

I think that is what this test is going to do more than anything. Give consumers the information that all of these companies don't want you to have because they allow you to objectively draw your own conclusions about the performance of their ball.

• Like 2

If I am hitting a 7 iron to a green and one ball gives be a 12 area (what ever that really is) and another ball is 11 times larger area, than I would probably want to be using a ball that is more precise. If you were going to shoot a deer why would you want to use a bullet that was 10 yards left or right. You are going to miss your target. Just wish they had better or more complete info.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

I find some of the comments here interesting that guys have played a ball and been happy with it's performance and will now not play it because of the MGS test results. And this seems to be from guys who have tried a number of different balls on the course, not in just on a launch monitor. Isn't the most important factor to use your own actual results out on a golf course?

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

> @Bad9 said:

> I find some of the comments here interesting that guys have played a ball and been happy with it's performance and will now not play it because of the **** test results. And this seems to be from guys who have tried a number of different balls on the course, not in just on a launch monitor. Isn't the most important factor to use your own actual results out on a golf course?

100% with you on this.

I can see these results being useful if, for whatever reason, you are deciding what new ball(s) to try out. If the last couple balls you've liked seem pretty similar in the robot test, then some other ball similar to them is a good place to start if you want to choose.

But how can you decide the results you've experienced in your own game are invalid just because you looked at a couple charts of test results? That's like your wife being convinced she needs to leave you because a "test" in a magazine rates you 4.5 out of 10 on a compatibility scale. It's crazy.

> @crazygolfnut said:

> If I am hitting a 7 iron to a green and one ball gives be a 12 area (what ever that really is) and another ball is 11 times larger area, than I would probably want to be using a ball that is more precise. If you were going to shoot a deer why would you want to use a bullet that was 10 yards left or right. You are going to miss your target. Just wish they had better or more complete info.

that's great and all, but like they themselves said, 1 or 2 wildly offline balls can completely blow the "shot area" up. i want to see an actual dispersion chart for each ball so we can see if it was a bunch of balls going all over the place or if 1 or 2 got wildly offline. until then, can't really take that metric of their test seriously. ![](https://www.adamyounggolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/4-dispersion.jpg "")

• Like 1

> @lopey986 said:

> that's great and all, but like they themselves said, 1 or 2 wildly offline balls can completely blow the "shot area" up. i want to see an actual dispersion chart for each ball so we can see if it was a bunch of balls going all over the place or if 1 or 2 got wildly offline. until then, can't really take that metric of their test seriously. ![](https://www.adamyounggolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/4-dispersion.jpg "")

Exactly right.

If you show me a list of offline distances like (-2, 3,- 2, 2, -1, -3, 3, -2, 2, 1, 2, 1, -2, 2, -2, -30, 3, 2, -1, 1) I see that -30 which, being just a single shot, could mean almost anything.

Now you show me offline distance values like (1, -4, 6, 2, 0, -5, -3, 3, 7, 4, -2, 4, 1, -2, 0, 1, 2, 3, -9, 1) I see that six out of twenty shots were either plus or minus a meaningful number of yards. That's much stronger evidence of high dispersion than that single -30 shot.

• Like 1

For the warts and all, I applaud M-G-S for going out, getting a robot and doing a test like this. Anything that generates 12 pages of discussion on here must merit some respect. I don't think the test was perfect, but in that regard I think there are guys on here who would question the accuracy of the results even if NASA did it, and then go on to blog about the earth being flat. Tough to please everyone, but debate is a good thing and I like reading other members views even if I don't agree with them myself.

While it has little to no bearing on my own terrible game, I'd love to know how many tour pros play a retail packet ball. I've been told by some of the guys on the Euro Tour that it's a lot less than you'd think and there are almost always a host of "special runs" or "protos" kicking about in vanilla boxes that have little changes or upgrades to aero or material. This is probably even more relevant when you put GOATs face on the box, I doubt he's striping the same ball you get off the shelf at Dicks. But I bet the $$$ play out real well in the mass production market. I'd probably need the VP of R&D and Bridgestone to convince me otherwise on this one lol.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

> @TheInfidel said:

> For the warts and all, I applaud M-G-S for going out, getting a robot and doing a test like this. Anything that generates 12 pages of discussion on here must merit some respect. I don't think the test was perfect, but in that regard I think there are guys on here who would question the accuracy of the results even if NASA did it, and then go on to blog about the earth being flat. Tough to please everyone, but debate is a good thing and I like reading other members views even if I don't agree with them myself.

>

> While it has little to no bearing on my own terrible game, I'd love to know how many tour pros play a retail packet ball. I've been told by some of the guys on the Euro Tour that it's a lot less than you'd think and there are almost always a host of "special runs" or "protos" kicking about in vanilla boxes that have little changes or upgrades to aero or material. This is probably even more relevant when you put GOATs face on the box, I doubt he's striping the same ball you get off the shelf at Dicks. But I bet the $$$ play out real well in the mass production market. I'd probably need the VP of R&D and Bridgestone to convince me otherwise on this one lol.

On the topic of not believing what has been reported.... They (people at Bridgestone) have been pretty clear Tiger is playing the retail ball.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

The numbers I've seen (which may or not be authoritative) is it varies by manufacturer but, across all brands, the majority of Tour golfers are playing either a current retail model or a recently-replaced model from the previous generation. I've heard that Titleist in particular starting pushing really hard a few years back for their Tour players to use current model balls.

I think nowadays you'd need to have a lot of fame and leverage to get Titleist to supply with one of the non-retail models on the USGA conforming list. Some of the others (Callaway's name has been overheard) are more flexible, as was Titleist years ago.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @rybo said:

> > So thanks to the test I did some testing yesterday. Picked up a dozen each of ProV1's and Tour B XS's to test them against my current ball of choice, the Callaway Chrome Soft. Also had a sleeve of last years TP5's which is the ball I switched from when going to the CS.

> > My swing speed is a bit north of 115mph and I consider myself to be a high spin generator.

> >

> > Course was wide open yesterday so was able to hit each ball side by side on 7 holes (played 9). FOR ME the CS was the longest off the driver and fairway woods every time. TP5 was always 2nd. The ProV1 and B XS were alternating between a distant third and forth. The Pro V1 and B XS launched considerably higher and were definitely spinning more. The difference in flight of the 4 balls was easily seen.

> > Off the irons, the launch of the V1 and B XS was higher then CS. Distance for both was a couple yards shorter then the CS.

> > Off the wedges, there was some additional spin on the little touch shots around the green. Not enough to call it an 'ah ha' moment , more like the ball checked up a foot or so quicker.

> > Off the putter was more noticeable for sure, I have been trying a new Spider X for the last few weeks and quite honestly the performance has been so so at best. Distance control was sporadic, one crazy long the next crazy short and both putts felt about the same, and seemed to be getting a lot of 'pulls' to the left. Also the ball would launch up in the air on longer putts. Never had any of these issues while using the CS with the Cameron Futura X5R. The match up of the CS and the grooves FOR ME seems to be producing some really odd results. With the V1, B XS, and TP5 the balls rolled considerably straighter and distance control was much improved.

> >

> > So went out to see how much distance I was losing with the CS and found that it was by far the longest ball of the four FOR ME. All four balls seemed to have the same amount of accuracy. There was not a single shot where I said 'what was that?' My good shots did what they were supposed to as did my misses. The eye opener was the improvement in putting when using a putter that has grooves among the 4 balls. I'll do some more putter testing to see what I can find out about this.

>

> The differences they are reporting from their robot test are smaller than anything you're going to be able to see playing multiple balls on the golf course. It takes hundreds of robot shots to reliably distinguish a 5-yard difference in driver distance. It would take thousands of shots from an amateur golfer to do the same.

>

> Play what makes you happy. The Chrome Soft obviously works perfectly well for your game and it's hard to see why you'd need any other ball. None of the differences that test is reporting are big enough to knock strokes off your handicap by switching from a "Good" urethane ball to a "Best" one, or whatever categories they use.

Also I wonder if the pros are even tracking Long Putt Launch (LPL), my strokes gained under LPL is real low just now.

> @TheInfidel said:

> Also I wonder if the pros are even tracking Long Putt Launch (LPL), my strokes gained under LPL is real low just now.

That's a new term (LPL) to me. Did I miss a joke? Or might there be a stat I've not heard of yet? I'm always interested in what stats people are tracking.

To me "long putt launch" sounds like that 40-footer I gunned past the hole and clear off the green the other day [that was a joke ;-) although I actually did just that and the result was a not very funny double bogey]

you eyeballed all that? glad the CS worked for you. I loved that ball last year but now I'm ruined after reading all that data and emptied my bag of all the "soft" balls.....got some BXS I am waiting to try.... > @rybo said:

> So thanks to the test I did some testing yesterday. Picked up a dozen each of ProV1's and Tour B XS's to test them against my current ball of choice, the Callaway Chrome Soft. Also had a sleeve of last years TP5's which is the ball I switched from when going to the CS.

> My swing speed is a bit north of 115mph and I consider myself to be a high spin generator.

>

> Course was wide open yesterday so was able to hit each ball side by side on 7 holes (played 9). FOR ME the CS was the longest off the driver and fairway woods every time. TP5 was always 2nd. The ProV1 and B XS were alternating between a distant third and forth. The Pro V1 and B XS launched considerably higher and were definitely spinning more. The difference in flight of the 4 balls was easily seen.

> Off the irons, the launch of the V1 and B XS was higher then CS. Distance for both was a couple yards shorter then the CS.

> Off the wedges, there was some additional spin on the little touch shots around the green. Not enough to call it an 'ah ha' moment , more like the ball checked up a foot or so quicker.

> Off the putter was more noticeable for sure, I have been trying a new Spider X for the last few weeks and quite honestly the performance has been so so at best. Distance control was sporadic, one crazy long the next crazy short and both putts felt about the same, and seemed to be getting a lot of 'pulls' to the left. Also the ball would launch up in the air on longer putts. Never had any of these issues while using the CS with the Cameron Futura X5R. The match up of the CS and the grooves FOR ME seems to be producing some really odd results. With the V1, B XS, and TP5 the balls rolled considerably straighter and distance control was much improved.

>

> So went out to see how much distance I was losing with the CS and found that it was by far the longest ball of the four FOR ME. All four balls seemed to have the same amount of accuracy. There was not a single shot where I said 'what was that?' My good shots did what they were supposed to as did my misses. The eye opener was the improvement in putting when using a putter that has grooves among the 4 balls. I'll do some more putter testing to see what I can find out about this.

> @mmack067 said:

> > @TheInfidel said:

> > For the warts and all, I applaud M-G-S for going out, getting a robot and doing a test like this. Anything that generates 12 pages of discussion on here must merit some respect. I don't think the test was perfect, but in that regard I think there are guys on here who would question the accuracy of the results even if NASA did it, and then go on to blog about the earth being flat. Tough to please everyone, but debate is a good thing and I like reading other members views even if I don't agree with them myself.

> >

> > While it has little to no bearing on my own terrible game, I'd love to know how many tour pros play a retail packet ball. I've been told by some of the guys on the Euro Tour that it's a lot less than you'd think and there are almost always a host of "special runs" or "protos" kicking about in vanilla boxes that have little changes or upgrades to aero or material. This is probably even more relevant when you put GOATs face on the box, I doubt he's striping the same ball you get off the shelf at Dicks. But I bet the $$$ play out real well in the mass production market. I'd probably need the VP of R&D and Bridgestone to convince me otherwise on this one lol.

>

> On the topic of not believing what has been reported.... They (people at Bridgestone) have been pretty clear Tiger is playing the retail ball.

Didn't know they'd addressed it more recently, care to direct me to anything they've said or published? Thanks man.

That is 100% true out of the mouth of tiger and bridgestone......I applaud bridgestone for that because as amateurs we tend to WANT to play what the tour guys play....but we really never have the option to do so.....how many people bought Nike clubs when Rory and Tiger were using them only to find out Titleist made the clubs for those two and put a swoosh on it? ....the retail community never had a shot at those clubs. with the ball, the BX and BXS are the same exact ball....I like that.> @mmack067 said:

> > @TheInfidel said:

> > For the warts and all, I applaud M-G-S for going out, getting a robot and doing a test like this. Anything that generates 12 pages of discussion on here must merit some respect. I don't think the test was perfect, but in that regard I think there are guys on here who would question the accuracy of the results even if NASA did it, and then go on to blog about the earth being flat. Tough to please everyone, but debate is a good thing and I like reading other members views even if I don't agree with them myself.

> >

> > While it has little to no bearing on my own terrible game, I'd love to know how many tour pros play a retail packet ball. I've been told by some of the guys on the Euro Tour that it's a lot less than you'd think and there are almost always a host of "special runs" or "protos" kicking about in vanilla boxes that have little changes or upgrades to aero or material. This is probably even more relevant when you put GOATs face on the box, I doubt he's striping the same ball you get off the shelf at Dicks. But I bet the $$$ play out real well in the mass production market. I'd probably need the VP of R&D and Bridgestone to convince me otherwise on this one lol.

>

> On the topic of not believing what has been reported.... They (people at Bridgestone) have been pretty clear Tiger is playing the retail ball.

see youtube, bridgestone tour truck.....> @TheInfidel said:

> > @mmack067 said:

> > > @TheInfidel said:

> > > For the warts and all, I applaud M-G-S for going out, getting a robot and doing a test like this. Anything that generates 12 pages of discussion on here must merit some respect. I don't think the test was perfect, but in that regard I think there are guys on here who would question the accuracy of the results even if NASA did it, and then go on to blog about the earth being flat. Tough to please everyone, but debate is a good thing and I like reading other members views even if I don't agree with them myself.

> > >

> > > While it has little to no bearing on my own terrible game, I'd love to know how many tour pros play a retail packet ball. I've been told by some of the guys on the Euro Tour that it's a lot less than you'd think and there are almost always a host of "special runs" or "protos" kicking about in vanilla boxes that have little changes or upgrades to aero or material. This is probably even more relevant when you put GOATs face on the box, I doubt he's striping the same ball you get off the shelf at Dicks. But I bet the $$$ play out real well in the mass production market. I'd probably need the VP of R&D and Bridgestone to convince me otherwise on this one lol.

> >

> > On the topic of not believing what has been reported.... They (people at Bridgestone) have been pretty clear Tiger is playing the retail ball.

>

> Didn't know they'd addressed it more recently, care to direct me to anything they've said or published? Thanks man.

I had a suspicion about the low compression balls. They do feel good with those modern thin faced irons, and launch really nice with them. They plain suck off the driver, I knew it. I played my best round of the year with a ProVX, after scratching it around with some Callaway's for a few rounds....this was BEFORE the test was released. I gotta say the test results really confirm everything I was thinking but had a hard time believing. And I know for a FACT my short game is better with a firmer urethane ball.

I also do NOT like the KSIG-3. I think the stats confirm why for me, I did however like the KSIG-4, curious how those would have tested.

The AVX looks like a total crap ball along with the CS, so in the end it looks like most of the pros know what they are doing, Titleist is king, Tiger knows what he is doing with BS, and the TM guys have a pretty good ball but not the best.

I wonder if there will be any fallout on tour and who plays what ball now that this is released?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @Bad9 said:

> > I find some of the comments here interesting that guys have played a ball and been happy with it's performance and will now not play it because of the **** test results. And this seems to be from guys who have tried a number of different balls on the course, not in just on a launch monitor. Isn't the most important factor to use your own actual results out on a golf course?

>

> 100% with you on this.

>

> I can see these results being useful if, for whatever reason, you are deciding what new ball(s) to try out. If the last couple balls you've liked seem pretty similar in the robot test, then some other ball similar to them is a good place to start if you want to choose.

>

> But how can you decide the results you've experienced in your own game are invalid just because you looked at a couple charts of test results? That's like your wife being convinced she needs to leave you because a "test" in a magazine rates you 4.5 out of 10 on a compatibility scale. It's crazy.

what magazine has this test in it? asking for a friend ?

> @dlygrisse said:

> I had a suspicion about the low compression balls. They do feel good with those modern thin faced irons, and launch really nice with them. They plain suck off the driver, I knew it. I played my best round of the year with a ProVX, after scratching it around with some Callaway's for a few rounds....this was BEFORE the test was released. I gotta say the test results really confirm everything I was thinking but had a hard time believing. And I know for a FACT my short game is better with a firmer urethane ball.

> I also do NOT like the KSIG-3. I think the stats confirm why for me, I did however like the KSIG-4, curious how those would have tested.

> The AVX looks like a total **** ball along with the CS, so in the end it looks like most of the pros know what they are doing, Titleist is king, Tiger knows what he is doing with BS, and the TM guys have a pretty good ball but not the best.

> I wonder if there will be any fallout on tour and who plays what ball now that this is released?

>

I also don't like the 3 piece ksig. However, if I knew anyone who was using $20-$30 dozen surlyn covered balls, I would suggest they switch. It's cheaper than all but the cheapest surlyn balls, and is going to perform way better.

• Like 1

> @arbeck said:

> I also don't like the 3 piece ksig. However, if I knew anyone who was using $20-$30 dozen surlyn covered balls, I would suggest they switch. It's cheaper than all but the cheapest surlyn balls, and is going to perform way better.

When I tried the K3 I was totally unimpressed. I didn't fall head over heels for the 4-piece original K-Sig but it was a fine ball. The 3-piece was just not nearly as good.

But I realized totally the same thing as you. I could get better results from the over-spinny K3 than from any Supersoft of NXT Tour or Noodle ball I'd ever seen. There's "bad" in high-performance ball terms but that's not the same as "a bad golf ball". Of course with my weak game I'm much less bothered about unexpectedly spinning back a K3 with a 9-iron than I am watching a Surlyn ball happily scamper over a firm green on a well struck shot.

P.S. And my condolences about the relegation thing, mate...

> @dlygrisse said:

> I wonder if there will be any fallout on tour and who plays what ball now that this is released?

>

I think its laughable to think that anyone on tour will be concerned by one iota with the results of the MGS ball test. I would guess that 99% of them will never know its was conducted or what its results were.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

So I dunno how I feel about this....I play the Q-Star Tour right now...the results below aren't that bad with the exception of dispersion.

Off of driver/7 iron....

Lowest Ball Speed, Lowest Compression, Lowest Spin, Longest Carry, Lowest Offline.......BUT LARGEST SHOT AREA? If its the longest average carry and lowest offline then why is the dispersion number so high?

So is this why they listed the ball as fair because of the shot area? I have played all of the other balls in this list to compare the Q to and it supports that I like the TP5/Lethal balls and the Zstar as much as the Q but the Q can be found much cheaper especially 5A minty fresh.

qv7doh7wkbr4.png

Cobra F9 TL 10.5 Atmos Black 7x
Cobra F8+ 3/4 &/or 5/6 Tour Blue 85x
Cobra F8 2H Element EarthX &/or Cobra F9 4H PX6.5
Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0
Ping Stealth 2.0 50/54/58 LZ 6.0

Some form of a Scotty, Betti, Spider

> @niscur24 said:

> So I dunno how I feel about this....I play the Q-Star Tour right now...the results below aren't that bad with the exception of dispersion.

> Off of driver/7 iron....

> Lowest Ball Speed, Lowest Compression, Lowest Spin, Longest Carry, Lowest Offline.......BUT LARGEST SHOT AREA? If its the longest average carry and lowest offline then why is the dispersion number so high?

> So is this why they listed the ball as fair because of the shot area? I have played all of the other balls in this list to compare the Q to and it supports that I like the TP5/Lethal balls and the Zstar as much as the Q but the Q can be found much cheaper especially 5A minty fresh.

> qv7doh7wkbr4.png

>

>

because it can literally take 1 or 2 balls to completely screw the shot area chart. it's pointless data without being able to see each shot on a chart.

> @Bad9 said:

> > @dlygrisse said:

> > I wonder if there will be any fallout on tour and who plays what ball now that this is released?

> >

> I think its laughable to think that anyone on tour will be concerned by one iota with the results of the **** ball test. I would guess that 99% of them will never know its was conducted or what its results were.

>

Phil-"I know you make me a special ball that's not retail, so thanks!"

> @lopey986 said:

> > @niscur24 said:

> > So I dunno how I feel about this....I play the Q-Star Tour right now...the results below aren't that bad with the exception of dispersion.

> > Off of driver/7 iron....

> > Lowest Ball Speed, Lowest Compression, Lowest Spin, Longest Carry, Lowest Offline.......BUT LARGEST SHOT AREA? If its the longest average carry and lowest offline then why is the dispersion number so high?

> > So is this why they listed the ball as fair because of the shot area? I have played all of the other balls in this list to compare the Q to and it supports that I like the TP5/Lethal balls and the Zstar as much as the Q but the Q can be found much cheaper especially 5A minty fresh.

> > qv7doh7wkbr4.png

> >

> >

>

> because it can literally take 1 or 2 balls to completely **** the shot area chart. it's pointless data without being able to see each shot on a chart.

How would knowing that 1 or 2 balls in the box have poor QC be pointless? More than likely the cores were off center or they were otherwise defective. Which I believe is what they believe is the problem with a lot of the direct ship brands such as Snell. Let's say you pull one of those out of the bag on a hole with water down the left, you make a perfect swing but the ball veers left quickly and goes splash because of poor QC. Is that pointless?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

It’s funny people are taking this as the gospel. There is a reason that top fitters actually fit the golf ball as well. I play the chrome soft and it’s better than everything I’ve tried. I don’t generate much spin with my driver and love the additional spin. Makes me hit it a touch farther. Given how soft it is , it feels great around the greens. I’ve tried to switch for 4 years now and just can’t. Now that being said, this study did mind screw me. I did order the snell sample pack and will check out the new pro v1x and the new Bridgestone Bx just to see but I don’t either being miles better FOR ME.