My experience gaming Game Improvement irons as a Mid Handicapper

I have played blades or small cavity back my entire life and have been involved with multiple threads where seasoned posters here pretty much say anyone can benefit from a GI and almost everyone should be playing one. I have defended my blade choice with consistent distances and small head, no offset, etc. for forever it seems. Then their points slowly made progression in my head and I thought, well how stupid of me if they are right and I can be better by just going to a GI. The pro GI movement is strong on WRX and technology/marketing is heavy from the OEM's. Yesterday I went to the course without my latest blades, the Srixon Z945. In their place was a brand new set of Mizuno Hot Metal Pros with my favorite Recoil stiff shafts. I was on my home course where I have been playing pretty well with my HC bouncing around the 7 to 8 mark.

Looking down at the HMP was fine. Not much offset and not a huge head. I had hit them pretty darn good on Demo Day...they are long and straight. My problem was they are not very long and straight on the course when you have uneven lies and the player does not get them through the turf properly. At least in the beginning, this is a strike against the wider sole for me. I seemed to grab a tiny bit of the toe or heel before or while compressing the ball which we know does not work well.

Then the gap between by AW(50 degree Vokey) and the new PW was a lot. My Vokey is my stock 100 yard shot and I can squeeze another 5 out of it when needed in the right conditions. The HMP PW seems to be my 130 club even though the loft is not stupid strong.

Then comes the issue of feel which is subjective. I had no idea where I was hitting the HMP on the face. I have played a lot of Mizuno irons but let me say, if this were their only iron we would have never heard "Nothing feels like a Mizuno". They feel just like a ton of other irons out their IMO, and that is not a game breaker for me. I really don't have to have that forged blade feel, but I do want to know where I am hitting it on the face.

Yesterday was day one on the course for my transition to a GI. I owe it to myself to put at least a month into this change because it is a substantial adjustment. Yesterday was my highest score in the last 18 months. I am not saying it was the fault of the irons. What I am saying is that the "game Improvement" in them not only could not rescue my bad play, but my perception was added to it.

More time will tell but for now I miss my skinny v-soled blades that cut through turf like butter and let me know exactly where I hit them on the face. I did hit one pretty down hill 180 yard 7i but it did not get in the hole any quicker than my old 180 yard 5i would have :-).

Callaway Epic Max with Tensei Blue Raw

TM Sim Max 5 wood with Ventus Blue

TM Sim Max 3 hybrid with Ventus Blue

TM M6 5 hybrid with Hzrdus 

Srixon ZX5 5i&6i with Recoil 95 F4

Srixon ZX7 7i- PW with Recoil 95 F4

52 and 56 degree Ping Forged with Recoil 110 F4

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

Ping Prime Tyne or Spider Tour Black

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

> @puttingmatt said: > Never understood the reasoning of making an iron change that goes from one style of clubhead to the complete opposite, rather drastic move without considering your games

> @rxk9fan said: > > @BiggErn said: > > > @rxk9fan said: > > > > @BiggErn said: > > > > > @rxk9fan said: > > > > > I have played blade

> @balls_deep said: > Do you not agree that it is possible for someone to hit an AP2 better than an AP1 all other things such as shaft equal? Sole, club balance (head included), etc make a huge

Ha! I'm transitioning into Hot Metal Pros from 21 year old GI Taylor Mades (Oversize)...

For me, I haven't been scoring from the fairways and I want my misses to be on the green. I also needed to get new PW and GW because I'm uncomfortable between 150-100 yards with my current set due to gapping issues.

I don't think there is one solution that works for everyone (hence the new releases of irons every year and 15 different companies marketing 45 different versions of "this is the last iron you will ever need for at least 2 years").

I think trying them for a month is reasonable! Hopefully they help your game (either you learn to love the blade or improve with the GIs). Good luck out there!

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Hope you can give it a good chance to see how it goes. At least to start, it seems like you have some patience to do so.

I'm within a couple of shots of you index wise and play Ping G25s. After reading more of these threads/arguments, I'm somewhat interested in finding a small players CB/blade with a 100 gram r-flex shaft to see what the real difference is (I haven't tried clubs like this in years and when I did they all had S300 shafts, which were just too heavy looking back). But I don't have a lot of time to practice during the week (and can't off of real grass), and don't really want to spend months on months dinking around on the course getting used to something different. In reality, I think familiarity and lack of time/desire to change are probably what holds people back when they try these changes/experiments (from both sides).

Everyone is different but I think you can get used to the lack of feel over time. Based on knowing my swing and the ball flight I want on a shot, I can tell if I slightly missed it or not despite these clubs providing little feedback. However, I'm not sure what to say about the sole / turf interaction. I'm used to the Pings and I think they actually work OK on the kind of turf that I play on now (and how I swing them), but after reading more of these threads I am open to the argument that this factor is a real issue/constraint for some and how they are swinging the club.

Good luck.

Spin adjustment will probably be a big thing for you. The HMP spin quite low probably compared to what you're used to. Personally, I see no advantage in a proper GI iron until I get to a 4 iron. I was practicing the other day hitting my 4i from 210 to a green at our local. With my AP2 I was intentionally drawing them into the flag and left quite a few pin high left. Distance spot on just a bit of direction variance. Grabbed my dads AP1 4 iron and striped ball after ball probably 10-20 feet higher and straight at it. Short irons there is nothing in it.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway EFSZ @ 14* Ventus Black 7x

Callaway TC Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X (Gamer) | Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway X-Forged UT 24* Project X 6.5

Callaway Apex MB 5-PW Project X 6.5 | Srixon z945 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 

Vokey JDM Forged 50F & 56M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Vokey Tour Issue Raw TVD Prototype M 60* KBS Wedge 130x

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 | Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 | Byron Morgan DH89 34/70*/2*

Srixon Z Star XV 2021

Linksouldier 

> @balls_deep said:

> Spin adjustment will probably be a big thing for you. The HMP spin quite low probably compared to what you're used to. Personally, I see no advantage in a proper GI iron until I get to a 4 iron. **I was practicing the other day hitting my 4i from 210** to a green at our local. With my AP2 I was intentionally drawing them into the flag and left quite a few pin high left. Distance spot on just a bit of direction variance. Grabbed my dads AP1 4 iron and striped ball after ball probably 10-20 feet higher and straight at it. Short irons there is nothing in it.

If, like me, one hits a 5-iron 165, AP1's are a real help.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @gvogel said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > Spin adjustment will probably be a big thing for you. The HMP spin quite low probably compared to what you're used to. Personally, I see no advantage in a proper GI iron until I get to a 4 iron. **I was practicing the other day hitting my 4i from 210** to a green at our local. With my AP2 I was intentionally drawing them into the flag and left quite a few pin high left. Distance spot on just a bit of direction variance. Grabbed my dads AP1 4 iron and striped ball after ball probably 10-20 feet higher and straight at it. Short irons there is nothing in it.

>

> If, like me, one hits a 5-iron 165, AP1's are a real help.

>

Agree to an extent but my dad for instance has his gaps bunch up even with AP1. He's an athletic strong guy but his swing isn't very efficient. He loves his 4 but I keep telling him he hits his 5 the same distance. He's finally getting comfortable hitting a hybrid and it's doing wonders for him. Whatever fits your gaps is what you need!

Callaway TC Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X (Gamer) | Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Apex MB 5-PW Project X 6.5 | Srixon z945 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 | Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 | Byron Morgan DH89 34/70*/2*

Srixon Z Star XV 2021

Linksouldier 

HMP are distance players irons, not GI irons. The MOI is not particularly high, although more so than your blades, so off center strike forgiveness is not into the realm of modern true GI irons. In terms of how much the clubs may benefit your game, that depends on what your miss is. If you miss heavy or thin I doubt the clubs will help, but if you miss off the sweet spot then they should.

Back when I was playing blades my first foray into CB irons was a failure because the clubs didn't suit me. I went back to blades and swore to never stray again. Eventually I broke my promise and tried some more suitable CB irons and liked them, but the real mean shift came with a set of G10's purchased on a lark. I was just flabbergasted with how easy they were to hit and I'll never go back to hard to hit clubs again, other than just for fun now and again.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

> @Nessism said:

> HMP are distance players irons, not GI irons. The MOI is not particularly high, although more so than your blades, so off center strike forgiveness is not into the realm of modern true GI irons. In terms of how much the clubs may benefit your game, that depends on what your miss is. If you miss heavy or thin I doubt the clubs will help, but if you miss off the sweet spot then they should.

>

> Back when I was playing blades my first foray into CB irons was a failure because the clubs didn't suit me. I went back to blades and swore to never stray again. Eventually I broke my promise and tried some more suitable CB irons and liked them, but the real mean shift came with a set of G10's purchased on a lark. I was just flabbergasted with how easy they were to hit and I'll never go back to hard to hit clubs again, other than just for fun now and again.

Using Maltbys MPF Ratings the HMP are considered as "Game Improvement" irons. What I have found is that the more important number in the MPF ratings is the "Actual Vertical Center of Gravity" or VCOG. The HMP's AVOG is at .815 vs say Ping G400's at .819 and higher than Pings G series at .793. Think about it. The center of a golf ball sitting on normal fairway lie is .850. Obviously you would want to strike that ball with the sweetspot of an iron. Why would you want an iron with a ACOG above .850? IMHO irons with an AVCOG below .850 to say .750 are easier to hit. In my experience in testing at least for me this theory seems to be true. Just something to think about.

Ping G410 9* LST
Callaway Mavrik 4 Wood

Ping G25 7 Wood

Ping G410 irons 5 thru UW
Vokey SM6 54*/10* S Grind
Vokey SM6 58*/12* K Grind
T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
Custom Compass Golf "Fang"

> @mjf34g said:

> Using Maltbys MPF Ratings the HMP are considered as "Game Improvement" irons. What I have found is that the more important number in the MPF ratings is the "Actual Vertical Center of Gravity" or VCOG. The HMP's AVOG is at .815 vs say Ping G400's at .819 and higher than Pings G series at .793. Think about it. The center of a golf ball sitting on normal fairway lie is .850. Obviously you would want to strike that ball with the sweetspot of an iron. Why would you want an iron with a ACOG above .850? IMHO irons with an AVCOG below .850 to say .750 are easier to hit. In my experience in testing at least for me this theory seems to be true. Just something to think about.

>

>

Is that really a trusted tool? Looking at the numbers for various Mizuno clubs and the MP-18 SC is the hardest club to hit I can find data for. That seems improbable.

I think it's easier for one to "want" blades to prove to be better than it is to "want" GI to prove to be better. Probably an ego thing but I'm no psychiatrist.

• Like 1

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

> @gbartko said:

> I think it's easier for one to "want" blades to prove to be better than it is to "want" GI to prove to be better. Probably an ego thing but I'm no psychiatrist.

No Psychiatrist needed here, my inner self says to get the numbers on the score card as small as possible. I have enough ego for sure, but what my clubs look like does not play to it. Shooting a high number is what gets my egos attention in a real hurry. In fact, if I could win the City Championship with the ugliest clubs on the course....that would make the win feel that much better!

I am sure their are posers that want to play what their favorite pro plays. For me, I enjoy a low score way more than a pretty set.

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

> @SuperPapaBear said:

> > @mjf34g said:

>

> > Using Maltbys MPF Ratings the HMP are considered as "Game Improvement" irons. What I have found is that the more important number in the MPF ratings is the "Actual Vertical Center of Gravity" or VCOG. The HMP's AVOG is at .815 vs say Ping G400's at .819 and higher than Pings G series at .793. Think about it. The center of a golf ball sitting on normal fairway lie is .850. Obviously you would want to strike that ball with the sweetspot of an iron. Why would you want an iron with a ACOG above .850? IMHO irons with an AVCOG below .850 to say .750 are easier to hit. In my experience in testing at least for me this theory seems to be true. Just something to think about.

> >

> >

> Is that really a trusted tool? Looking at the numbers for various Mizuno clubs and the MP-18 SC is the hardest club to hit I can find data for. That seems improbable.

Have you tried the MP18SC? I thought it was very unforgiving compared to other similar options. To the above point though, you aren't hitting the ball at 0* your AoA with irons is supposed to be negative. Therefore I believe the more negative you are the higher COG you need.

Srixon Z Star XV 2021

Linksouldier 

> @rxk9fan said:

> I have played blades or small cavity back my entire life and have been involved with multiple threads where seasoned posters here pretty much say anyone can benefit from a GI and almost everyone should be playing one. I have defended my blade choice with consistent distances and small head, no offset, etc. for forever it seems. Then their points slowly made progression in my head and I thought, well how stupid of me if they are right and I can be better by just going to a GI. The pro GI movement is strong on WRX and technology/marketing is heavy from the OEM's. Yesterday I went to the course without my latest blades, the Srixon Z945. In their place was a brand new set of Mizuno Hot Metal Pros with my favorite Recoil stiff shafts. I was on my home course where I have been playing pretty well with my HC bouncing around the 7 to 8 mark.

> Looking down at the HMP was fine. Not much offset and not a huge head. I had hit them pretty darn good on Demo Day...they are long and straight. My problem was they are not very long and straight on the course when you have uneven lies and the player does not get them through the turf properly. At least in the beginning, this is a strike against the wider sole for me. I seemed to grab a tiny bit of the toe or heel before or while compressing the ball which we know does not work well.

> Then the gap between by AW(50 degree Vokey) and the new PW was a lot. My Vokey is my stock 100 yard shot and I can squeeze another 5 out of it when needed in the right conditions. The HMP PW seems to be my 130 club even though the loft is not stupid strong.

> Then comes the issue of feel which is subjective. I had no idea where I was hitting the HMP on the face. I have played a lot of Mizuno irons but let me say, if this were their only iron we would have never heard "Nothing feels like a Mizuno". They feel just like a ton of other irons out their IMO, and that is not a game breaker for me. I really don't have to have that forged blade feel, but I do want to know where I am hitting it on the face.

> Yesterday was day one on the course for my transition to a GI. I owe it to myself to put at least a month into this change because it is a substantial adjustment. Yesterday was my highest score in the last 18 months. I am not saying it was the fault of the irons. What I am saying is that the "game Improvement" in them not only could not rescue my bad play, but my perception was added to it.

> More time will tell but for now I miss my skinny v-soled blades that cut through turf like butter and let me know exactly where I hit them on the face. I did hit one pretty down hill 180 yard 7i but it did not get in the hole any quicker than my old 180 yard 5i would have :-).

>

There’s a level of player where nothing is gonna help so just play what you’re trying to talk yourself into playing. If you’re hitting the ball properly then the sole doesn’t matter at all other than a preference. If you can’t tell where you’re hitting on the face maybe there’s a sensory issue as most people can tell where they hit it on the face regardless of club.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @rxk9fan said:

> > I have played blades or small cavity back my entire life and have been involved with multiple threads where seasoned posters here pretty much say anyone can benefit from a GI and almost everyone should be playing one. I have defended my blade choice with consistent distances and small head, no offset, etc. for forever it seems. Then their points slowly made progression in my head and I thought, well how stupid of me if they are right and I can be better by just going to a GI. The pro GI movement is strong on WRX and technology/marketing is heavy from the OEM's. Yesterday I went to the course without my latest blades, the Srixon Z945. In their place was a brand new set of Mizuno Hot Metal Pros with my favorite Recoil stiff shafts. I was on my home course where I have been playing pretty well with my HC bouncing around the 7 to 8 mark.

> > Looking down at the HMP was fine. Not much offset and not a huge head. I had hit them pretty darn good on Demo Day...they are long and straight. My problem was they are not very long and straight on the course when you have uneven lies and the player does not get them through the turf properly. At least in the beginning, this is a strike against the wider sole for me. I seemed to grab a tiny bit of the toe or heel before or while compressing the ball which we know does not work well.

> > Then the gap between by AW(50 degree Vokey) and the new PW was a lot. My Vokey is my stock 100 yard shot and I can squeeze another 5 out of it when needed in the right conditions. The HMP PW seems to be my 130 club even though the loft is not stupid strong.

> > Then comes the issue of feel which is subjective. I had no idea where I was hitting the HMP on the face. I have played a lot of Mizuno irons but let me say, if this were their only iron we would have never heard "Nothing feels like a Mizuno". They feel just like a ton of other irons out their IMO, and that is not a game breaker for me. I really don't have to have that forged blade feel, but I do want to know where I am hitting it on the face.

> > Yesterday was day one on the course for my transition to a GI. I owe it to myself to put at least a month into this change because it is a substantial adjustment. Yesterday was my highest score in the last 18 months. I am not saying it was the fault of the irons. What I am saying is that the "game Improvement" in them not only could not rescue my bad play, but my perception was added to it.

> > More time will tell but for now I miss my skinny v-soled blades that cut through turf like butter and let me know exactly where I hit them on the face. I did hit one pretty down hill 180 yard 7i but it did not get in the hole any quicker than my old 180 yard 5i would have :-).

> >

>

> There’s a level of player where nothing is gonna help so just play what you’re trying to talk yourself into playing. If you’re hitting the ball properly then the sole doesn’t matter at all other than a preference. If you can’t tell where you’re hitting on the face maybe there’s a sensory issue as most people can tell where they hit it on the face regardless of club.

Totally disagree regarding sole. The better you are the more it matters.

• Like 1

Srixon Z Star XV 2021

Linksouldier 

> @balls_deep said:

> > @BiggErn said:

There’s a level of player where nothing is gonna help so just play what you’re trying to talk yourself into playing. If you’re hitting the ball properly then the sole doesn’t matter at all other than a preference. If you can’t tell where you’re hitting on the face maybe there’s a sensory issue as most people can tell where they hit it on the face regardless of club.

>

> Totally disagree regarding sole. The better you are the more it matters.

... I honestly think the better the player the_** less**_ it matters. No difference in my ball striking using P790's or Honma 737v's but oh my do they feel different. I think feel is huge for better players and a wide sole rounded leading edge bludgeoning thru the turf feels horrible compared to a thin soled sharp leading edge that cuts thru the ground with little resistance. But so many threads seem to have GI's and MB's as the only choice. I have found my P760's give me the best of both worlds.

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 55R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15*  ... Tensei Raw Blue

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
Mizuno T-20 M Grind 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"

> @balls_deep said:

> > @SuperPapaBear said:

> > > @mjf34g said:

> >

> > > Using Maltbys MPF Ratings the HMP are considered as "Game Improvement" irons. What I have found is that the more important number in the MPF ratings is the "Actual Vertical Center of Gravity" or VCOG. The HMP's AVOG is at .815 vs say Ping G400's at .819 and higher than Pings G series at .793. Think about it. The center of a golf ball sitting on normal fairway lie is .850. Obviously you would want to strike that ball with the sweetspot of an iron. Why would you want an iron with a ACOG above .850? IMHO irons with an AVCOG below .850 to say .750 are easier to hit. In my experience in testing at least for me this theory seems to be true. Just something to think about.

> > >

> > >

> > Is that really a trusted tool? Looking at the numbers for various Mizuno clubs and the MP-18 SC is the hardest club to hit I can find data for. That seems improbable.

>

> Have you tried the MP18SC? I thought it was very unforgiving compared to other similar options. To the above point though, you aren't hitting the ball at 0* your AoA with irons is supposed to be negative. Therefore I believe the more negative you are the higher COG you need.

>

One of my buddies with a handicap of 7 bought a combo set of MP18s - 4-6 in SC, 7-PW in MB. Swears that the SCs are so much harder to hit and wished he’d had the full set of MBs. I think there is some merit in the VCOG measurement, the rest of the playability factor seems to rest too much on the ‘C’ dimension...the longer the blade length the more forgiving the club.

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @SuperPapaBear said:

> > > > @mjf34g said:

> > >

> > > > Using Maltbys MPF Ratings the HMP are considered as "Game Improvement" irons. What I have found is that the more important number in the MPF ratings is the "Actual Vertical Center of Gravity" or VCOG. The HMP's AVOG is at .815 vs say Ping G400's at .819 and higher than Pings G series at .793. Think about it. The center of a golf ball sitting on normal fairway lie is .850. Obviously you would want to strike that ball with the sweetspot of an iron. Why would you want an iron with a ACOG above .850? IMHO irons with an AVCOG below .850 to say .750 are easier to hit. In my experience in testing at least for me this theory seems to be true. Just something to think about.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > Is that really a trusted tool? Looking at the numbers for various Mizuno clubs and the MP-18 SC is the hardest club to hit I can find data for. That seems improbable.

> >

> > Have you tried the MP18SC? I thought it was very unforgiving compared to other similar options. To the above point though, you aren't hitting the ball at 0* your AoA with irons is supposed to be negative. Therefore I believe the more negative you are the higher COG you need.

> >

> One of my buddies with a handicap of 7 bought a combo set of MP18s - 4-6 in SC, 7-PW in MB. Swears that the SCs are so much harder to hit and wished he’d had the full set of MBs. I think there is some merit in the VCOG measurement, the rest of the playability factor seems to rest too much on the ‘C’ dimension...the longer the blade length the more forgiving the club.

>

Not perfectly apples to apples because the lofts are lower and the shaft is longer in that set but yes I do believe they aren't forgiving. My MP32 were significantly easier to elevate and hit well.

• Like 1

Srixon Z Star XV 2021

Linksouldier 

> @BiggErn said:

> > @rxk9fan said:

> > I have played blades or small cavity back my entire life and have been involved with multiple threads where seasoned posters here pretty much say anyone can benefit from a GI and almost everyone should be playing one. I have defended my blade choice with consistent distances and small head, no offset, etc. for forever it seems. Then their points slowly made progression in my head and I thought, well how stupid of me if they are right and I can be better by just going to a GI. The pro GI movement is strong on WRX and technology/marketing is heavy from the OEM's. Yesterday I went to the course without my latest blades, the Srixon Z945. In their place was a brand new set of Mizuno Hot Metal Pros with my favorite Recoil stiff shafts. I was on my home course where I have been playing pretty well with my HC bouncing around the 7 to 8 mark.

> > Looking down at the HMP was fine. Not much offset and not a huge head. I had hit them pretty darn good on Demo Day...they are long and straight. My problem was they are not very long and straight on the course when you have uneven lies and the player does not get them through the turf properly. At least in the beginning, this is a strike against the wider sole for me. I seemed to grab a tiny bit of the toe or heel before or while compressing the ball which we know does not work well.

> > Then the gap between by AW(50 degree Vokey) and the new PW was a lot. My Vokey is my stock 100 yard shot and I can squeeze another 5 out of it when needed in the right conditions. The HMP PW seems to be my 130 club even though the loft is not stupid strong.

> > Then comes the issue of feel which is subjective. I had no idea where I was hitting the HMP on the face. I have played a lot of Mizuno irons but let me say, if this were their only iron we would have never heard "Nothing feels like a Mizuno". They feel just like a ton of other irons out their IMO, and that is not a game breaker for me. I really don't have to have that forged blade feel, but I do want to know where I am hitting it on the face.

> > Yesterday was day one on the course for my transition to a GI. I owe it to myself to put at least a month into this change because it is a substantial adjustment. Yesterday was my highest score in the last 18 months. I am not saying it was the fault of the irons. What I am saying is that the "game Improvement" in them not only could not rescue my bad play, but my perception was added to it.

> > More time will tell but for now I miss my skinny v-soled blades that cut through turf like butter and let me know exactly where I hit them on the face. I did hit one pretty down hill 180 yard 7i but it did not get in the hole any quicker than my old 180 yard 5i would have :-).

> >

>

> There’s a level of player where nothing is gonna help so just play what you’re trying to talk yourself into playing. If you’re hitting the ball properly then the sole doesn’t matter at all other than a preference. If you can’t tell where you’re hitting on the face maybe there’s a sensory issue as most people can tell where they hit it on the face regardless of club.

I am trying something new...something I have never tried before...something I am having initial difficulty with. You have contributed three sentences, each of which I find condescending and inflammatory. If you are good enough to back it up, your comment is still condescending and inflammatory. After 10 years away from golf due to 2 compound fractured arms, I now play between a 7 and a 8. Before the multiple trauma surgeries, I was maybe a little closer to your level playing to a 3 at a slope of 128. So what do you have...scratch...better than scratch...former pro...burnt out, insecure, always want to be, think you are better and smarter than you are?

Such insight from a gifted intellect...I am sure you have much more to give but you can spare me your thoughts about my "sensory issue", what you think "I am trying to talk" myself into, and my ability to "hit a ball properly". Just give me a wink from the U.S. Open at Pebble when they hand you the trophy stud and I will know you can walk what you talk.

• Like 1

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

Never understood the reasoning of making an iron change that goes from one style of clubhead to the complete opposite, rather drastic move without considering your games individual needs. There are so many club choices, maybe the hmp was not a good choice. Sounds completely different from what you were playing. Subtle head design changes can be the ticket. Not certain what a 180 yrd 7 iron

Is good for,

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

> @rxk9fan said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @rxk9fan said:

> > > I have played blades or small cavity back my entire life and have been involved with multiple threads where seasoned posters here pretty much say anyone can benefit from a GI and almost everyone should be playing one. I have defended my blade choice with consistent distances and small head, no offset, etc. for forever it seems. Then their points slowly made progression in my head and I thought, well how stupid of me if they are right and I can be better by just going to a GI. The pro GI movement is strong on WRX and technology/marketing is heavy from the OEM's. Yesterday I went to the course without my latest blades, the Srixon Z945. In their place was a brand new set of Mizuno Hot Metal Pros with my favorite Recoil stiff shafts. I was on my home course where I have been playing pretty well with my HC bouncing around the 7 to 8 mark.

> > > Looking down at the HMP was fine. Not much offset and not a huge head. I had hit them pretty darn good on Demo Day...they are long and straight. My problem was they are not very long and straight on the course when you have uneven lies and the player does not get them through the turf properly. At least in the beginning, this is a strike against the wider sole for me. I seemed to grab a tiny bit of the toe or heel before or while compressing the ball which we know does not work well.

> > > Then the gap between by AW(50 degree Vokey) and the new PW was a lot. My Vokey is my stock 100 yard shot and I can squeeze another 5 out of it when needed in the right conditions. The HMP PW seems to be my 130 club even though the loft is not stupid strong.

> > > Then comes the issue of feel which is subjective. I had no idea where I was hitting the HMP on the face. I have played a lot of Mizuno irons but let me say, if this were their only iron we would have never heard "Nothing feels like a Mizuno". They feel just like a ton of other irons out their IMO, and that is not a game breaker for me. I really don't have to have that forged blade feel, but I do want to know where I am hitting it on the face.

> > > Yesterday was day one on the course for my transition to a GI. I owe it to myself to put at least a month into this change because it is a substantial adjustment. Yesterday was my highest score in the last 18 months. I am not saying it was the fault of the irons. What I am saying is that the "game Improvement" in them not only could not rescue my bad play, but my perception was added to it.

> > > More time will tell but for now I miss my skinny v-soled blades that cut through turf like butter and let me know exactly where I hit them on the face. I did hit one pretty down hill 180 yard 7i but it did not get in the hole any quicker than my old 180 yard 5i would have :-).

> > >

> >

> > There’s a level of player where nothing is gonna help so just play what you’re trying to talk yourself into playing. If you’re hitting the ball properly then the sole doesn’t matter at all other than a preference. If you can’t tell where you’re hitting on the face maybe there’s a sensory issue as most people can tell where they hit it on the face regardless of club.

>

> I am trying something new...something I have never tried before...something I am having initial difficulty with. You have contributed three sentences, each of which I find condescending and inflammatory. If you are good enough to back it up, your comment is still condescending and inflammatory. After 10 years away from golf due to 2 compound fractured arms, I now play between a 7 and a 8. Before the multiple trauma surgeries, I was maybe a little closer to your level playing to a 3 at a slope of 128. So what do you have...scratch...better than scratch...former pro...burnt out, insecure, always want to be, think you are better and smarter than you are?

> Such insight from a gifted intellect...I am sure you have much more to give but you can spare me your thoughts about my "sensory issue", what you think "I am trying to talk" myself into, and my ability to "hit a ball properly". Just give me a wink from the U.S. Open at Pebble when they hand you the trophy stud and I will know you can walk what you talk.

>

>

Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings and not sure why the need to throw the extra sympathy points after the fact. I’m a realist and know my strengths and weaknesses. I’m not gonna play equipment and just hope for the best. Some days I strike it great and some days not so great. It happens to all golfers but it’s a bit different with a world class ball striker vs a single digit guy or anyone else. There’s already a blade fluffer thread so not sure what you’re hoping for by creating a “dead horse” topic. Some will tell you what you want to hear and others will not and sorry you can’t accept that. At some point a golfer has to accept their capabilities and realize no amount of practice is gonna change certain aspects of their game to a great degree.

> @BB28403 said:

> Guys im goin to be so good this year !

> st5aih0szai3.jpeg

>

What’s the bat for?

:smiley:

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero Driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
Mizuno ST 180 5 wood, set to 16*
Srixon H85 20* hybrid
Srixon H85 22* hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-AW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Mizuno S18 58* wedge
Cleveland VP Milled No. 3 putter

> @puttingmatt said:

> Never understood the reasoning of making an iron change that goes from one style of clubhead to the complete opposite, rather drastic move without considering your games individual needs. There are so many club choices, maybe the hmp was not a good choice. Sounds completely different from what you were playing. Subtle head design changes can be the ticket. Not certain what a 180 yrd 7 iron

> Is good for,

I agree with much of this Sir and it is looking like a poor move at this point. I did think I might be missing out on something better for my game so I decided to give it a try after so many threads here made the point that almost no one should be playing blades except for the best of the best. Where I would push back on your post a little is that I did not feel I went with a complete opposite style of clubbed. The Hot Metal Pro is chunky, but in no way a shovel. It has very little offset. It looks much closer to a Z series Srixon than a SGI offering from any of the OEM's. I do understand the point you are making and you may well be spot on. Thank you for your time!

I have not given up though. I hit 2 buckets at my courses range before playing 18 Friday. Yesterday we had hard winds and 30mph plus gust all day so instead of playing I put 5 buckets down range. I am hoping I made some progress late yesterday though they are in no way grooved :-) at this point. I will get 18 more today and am taking off Monday for 18 more. That is a enough time for me to either work through this, or tell me I need to go to my coach (Rick Grayson-always rated a one of the top coaches in Missouri) and get a look at what I am doing. I will only give up on this whole idea the day Rick says I am swinging well but I don't get what I want out of the shot. Maybe I am in a funk...would not be the first one and real sure I will have a few more.

Happy Sunday to all!

• Like 3

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

> @BiggErn said:

> > @rxk9fan said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @rxk9fan said:

> > > > I have played blades or small cavity back my entire life and have been involved with multiple threads where seasoned posters here pretty much say anyone can benefit from a GI and almost everyone should be playing one. I have defended my blade choice with consistent distances and small head, no offset, etc. for forever it seems. Then their points slowly made progression in my head and I thought, well how stupid of me if they are right and I can be better by just going to a GI. The pro GI movement is strong on WRX and technology/marketing is heavy from the OEM's. Yesterday I went to the course without my latest blades, the Srixon Z945. In their place was a brand new set of Mizuno Hot Metal Pros with my favorite Recoil stiff shafts. I was on my home course where I have been playing pretty well with my HC bouncing around the 7 to 8 mark.

> > > > Looking down at the HMP was fine. Not much offset and not a huge head. I had hit them pretty darn good on Demo Day...they are long and straight. My problem was they are not very long and straight on the course when you have uneven lies and the player does not get them through the turf properly. At least in the beginning, this is a strike against the wider sole for me. I seemed to grab a tiny bit of the toe or heel before or while compressing the ball which we know does not work well.

> > > > Then the gap between by AW(50 degree Vokey) and the new PW was a lot. My Vokey is my stock 100 yard shot and I can squeeze another 5 out of it when needed in the right conditions. The HMP PW seems to be my 130 club even though the loft is not stupid strong.

> > > > Then comes the issue of feel which is subjective. I had no idea where I was hitting the HMP on the face. I have played a lot of Mizuno irons but let me say, if this were their only iron we would have never heard "Nothing feels like a Mizuno". They feel just like a ton of other irons out their IMO, and that is not a game breaker for me. I really don't have to have that forged blade feel, but I do want to know where I am hitting it on the face.

> > > > Yesterday was day one on the course for my transition to a GI. I owe it to myself to put at least a month into this change because it is a substantial adjustment. Yesterday was my highest score in the last 18 months. I am not saying it was the fault of the irons. What I am saying is that the "game Improvement" in them not only could not rescue my bad play, but my perception was added to it.

> > > > More time will tell but for now I miss my skinny v-soled blades that cut through turf like butter and let me know exactly where I hit them on the face. I did hit one pretty down hill 180 yard 7i but it did not get in the hole any quicker than my old 180 yard 5i would have :-).

> > > >

> > >

> > > There’s a level of player where nothing is gonna help so just play what you’re trying to talk yourself into playing. If you’re hitting the ball properly then the sole doesn’t matter at all other than a preference. If you can’t tell where you’re hitting on the face maybe there’s a sensory issue as most people can tell where they hit it on the face regardless of club.

> >

> > I am trying something new...something I have never tried before...something I am having initial difficulty with. You have contributed three sentences, each of which I find condescending and inflammatory. If you are good enough to back it up, your comment is still condescending and inflammatory. After 10 years away from golf due to 2 compound fractured arms, I now play between a 7 and a 8. Before the multiple trauma surgeries, I was maybe a little closer to your level playing to a 3 at a slope of 128. So what do you have...scratch...better than scratch...former pro...burnt out, insecure, always want to be, think you are better and smarter than you are?

> > Such insight from a gifted intellect...I am sure you have much more to give but you can spare me your thoughts about my "sensory issue", what you think "I am trying to talk" myself into, and my ability to "hit a ball properly". Just give me a wink from the U.S. Open at Pebble when they hand you the trophy stud and I will know you can walk what you talk.

> >

> >

>

> Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings and not sure why the need to throw the extra sympathy points after the fact. I’m a realist and know my strengths and weaknesses. I’m not gonna play equipment and just hope for the best. Some days I strike it great and some days not so great. It happens to all golfers but it’s a bit different with a world class ball striker vs a single digit guy or anyone else. There’s already a blade fluffer thread so not sure what you’re hoping for by creating a “dead horse” topic. Some will tell you what you want to hear and others will not and sorry you can’t accept that. At some point a golfer has to accept their capabilities and realize no amount of practice is gonna change certain aspects of their game to a great degree.

This has zero to do with my feelings. I came to a place dedicated to golf and a place inhabited by many who love the game. A place where I have gotten some great advice and a place I have gotten some good laughs. I made a post as sincere and accurate as I know how to be, and in no way did it show a lack of courtesy or respect to any member of this forum. Then you came into this with your first post and now a second dripping with contention ( "extra sympathy points" "already a blade fluffer thread" "don't know what you are hoping for creating a "dead horse" topic").

What I am doing is try a change personally and being honest about my results. I thought others here may enjoy talking about a similar experience and offer what gains or losses they saw when they moved to a GI or Players Distance Iron. It really has not taken off in the direction I hoped so maybe my OP was poorly worded and I did not communicate well.

I don't know how much game you have but you leave no doubt that your intentions in both of your post were aimed straight at me, with no effort to add anything constructive to my conversation. If your intention was to discredit my OP maybe you have succeeded ? If your intention is to discredit me personally you have been much less effective than a video of a couple of shots I made Friday would be :-). I am not sure why we got started the way we did but if you ever come through S.W. Missouri maybe we could grab a beer (you buy) and get a better understanding of each other. If you had a couple of days, we could get in a round (for money), do some pistol shooting at my club(for money), and I could show off some great protection work from world class Schutzhund dogs (we would let you put on the bite suit). PM me for my phone number if you are ever in my direction. I think a little face to face measuring would do us some good. We just might walk away with a little more respect for one another....maybe!

• Like 1

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

Since you were playing Srixon 945s, did you ever consider the Srixon 7 series? I am a few strokes worse than you and play the 745s, which I love. You could pick up a used set inexpensively for a cheap experiment which might make the switch from your blades easier, and resell them at minimal to no loss if it doesn't work out. Or make a blended set with your 945s. The 5 series is even more GI but I haven't tried them as I am very happy with what I have.

Good luck!

> @rxk9fan said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @rxk9fan said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > @rxk9fan said:

> > > > > I have played blades or small cavity back my entire life and have been involved with multiple threads where seasoned posters here pretty much say anyone can benefit from a GI and almost everyone should be playing one. I have defended my blade choice with consistent distances and small head, no offset, etc. for forever it seems. Then their points slowly made progression in my head and I thought, well how stupid of me if they are right and I can be better by just going to a GI. The pro GI movement is strong on WRX and technology/marketing is heavy from the OEM's. Yesterday I went to the course without my latest blades, the Srixon Z945. In their place was a brand new set of Mizuno Hot Metal Pros with my favorite Recoil stiff shafts. I was on my home course where I have been playing pretty well with my HC bouncing around the 7 to 8 mark.

> > > > > Looking down at the HMP was fine. Not much offset and not a huge head. I had hit them pretty darn good on Demo Day...they are long and straight. My problem was they are not very long and straight on the course when you have uneven lies and the player does not get them through the turf properly. At least in the beginning, this is a strike against the wider sole for me. I seemed to grab a tiny bit of the toe or heel before or while compressing the ball which we know does not work well.

> > > > > Then the gap between by AW(50 degree Vokey) and the new PW was a lot. My Vokey is my stock 100 yard shot and I can squeeze another 5 out of it when needed in the right conditions. The HMP PW seems to be my 130 club even though the loft is not stupid strong.

> > > > > Then comes the issue of feel which is subjective. I had no idea where I was hitting the HMP on the face. I have played a lot of Mizuno irons but let me say, if this were their only iron we would have never heard "Nothing feels like a Mizuno". They feel just like a ton of other irons out their IMO, and that is not a game breaker for me. I really don't have to have that forged blade feel, but I do want to know where I am hitting it on the face.

> > > > > Yesterday was day one on the course for my transition to a GI. I owe it to myself to put at least a month into this change because it is a substantial adjustment. Yesterday was my highest score in the last 18 months. I am not saying it was the fault of the irons. What I am saying is that the "game Improvement" in them not only could not rescue my bad play, but my perception was added to it.

> > > > > More time will tell but for now I miss my skinny v-soled blades that cut through turf like butter and let me know exactly where I hit them on the face. I did hit one pretty down hill 180 yard 7i but it did not get in the hole any quicker than my old 180 yard 5i would have :-).

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > There’s a level of player where nothing is gonna help so just play what you’re trying to talk yourself into playing. If you’re hitting the ball properly then the sole doesn’t matter at all other than a preference. If you can’t tell where you’re hitting on the face maybe there’s a sensory issue as most people can tell where they hit it on the face regardless of club.

> > >

> > > I am trying something new...something I have never tried before...something I am having initial difficulty with. You have contributed three sentences, each of which I find condescending and inflammatory. If you are good enough to back it up, your comment is still condescending and inflammatory. After 10 years away from golf due to 2 compound fractured arms, I now play between a 7 and a 8. Before the multiple trauma surgeries, I was maybe a little closer to your level playing to a 3 at a slope of 128. So what do you have...scratch...better than scratch...former pro...burnt out, insecure, always want to be, think you are better and smarter than you are?

> > > Such insight from a gifted intellect...I am sure you have much more to give but you can spare me your thoughts about my "sensory issue", what you think "I am trying to talk" myself into, and my ability to "hit a ball properly". Just give me a wink from the U.S. Open at Pebble when they hand you the trophy stud and I will know you can walk what you talk.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings and not sure why the need to throw the extra sympathy points after the fact. I’m a realist and know my strengths and weaknesses. I’m not gonna play equipment and just hope for the best. Some days I strike it great and some days not so great. It happens to all golfers but it’s a bit different with a world class ball striker vs a single digit guy or anyone else. There’s already a blade fluffer thread so not sure what you’re hoping for by creating a “dead horse” topic. Some will tell you what you want to hear and others will not and sorry you can’t accept that. At some point a golfer has to accept their capabilities and realize no amount of practice is gonna change certain aspects of their game to a great degree.

>

> This has zero to do with my feelings. I came to a place dedicated to golf and a place inhabited by many who love the game. A place where I have gotten some great advice and a place I have gotten some good laughs. I made a post as sincere and accurate as I know how to be, and in no way did it show a lack of courtesy or respect to any member of this forum. Then you came into this with your first post and now a second dripping with contention ( "extra sympathy points" "already a blade fluffer thread" "don't know what you are hoping for creating a "dead horse" topic").

> What I am doing is try a change personally and being honest about my results. I thought others here may enjoy talking about a similar experience and offer what gains or losses they saw when they moved to a GI or Players Distance Iron. It really has not taken off in the direction I hoped so maybe my OP was poorly worded and I did not communicate well.

>

> I don't know how much game you have but you leave no doubt that your intentions in both of your post were aimed straight at me, with no effort to add anything constructive to my conversation. If your intention was to discredit my OP maybe you have succeeded ? If your intention is to discredit me personally you have been much less effective than a video of a couple of shots I made Friday would be :-). I am not sure why we got started the way we did but if you ever come through S.W. Missouri maybe we could grab a beer (you buy) and get a better understanding of each other. If you had a couple of days, we could get in a round (for money), do some pistol shooting at my club(for money), and I could show off some great protection work from world class Schutzhund dogs (we would let you put on the bite suit). PM me for my phone number if you are ever in my direction. I think a little face to face measuring would do us some good. We just might walk away with a little more respect for one another....maybe!

Listen ignore this guy who is condescending beyond belief. I'm the same handicap as you and I'm trying the opposite this year going from callaway original apex (keeping them) to x forged 2018. But I debate going the other way (tried ugly as sin cobra f9 in sim & they were great) and love your thread.

This guy trying to be a troll is dripping with passive aggressive insulting comments.

He's just a waste of breath. Adds absolutely nothing to the conversation. Good luck with your experiment keep posting.

• Like 3

> @sharkhark said:

> > @rxk9fan said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @rxk9fan said:

> > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > @rxk9fan said:

> > > > > > I have played blades or small cavity back my entire life and have been involved with multiple threads where seasoned posters here pretty much say anyone can benefit from a GI and almost everyone should be playing one. I have defended my blade choice with consistent distances and small head, no offset, etc. for forever it seems. Then their points slowly made progression in my head and I thought, well how stupid of me if they are right and I can be better by just going to a GI. The pro GI movement is strong on WRX and technology/marketing is heavy from the OEM's. Yesterday I went to the course without my latest blades, the Srixon Z945. In their place was a brand new set of Mizuno Hot Metal Pros with my favorite Recoil stiff shafts. I was on my home course where I have been playing pretty well with my HC bouncing around the 7 to 8 mark.

> > > > > > Looking down at the HMP was fine. Not much offset and not a huge head. I had hit them pretty darn good on Demo Day...they are long and straight. My problem was they are not very long and straight on the course when you have uneven lies and the player does not get them through the turf properly. At least in the beginning, this is a strike against the wider sole for me. I seemed to grab a tiny bit of the toe or heel before or while compressing the ball which we know does not work well.

> > > > > > Then the gap between by AW(50 degree Vokey) and the new PW was a lot. My Vokey is my stock 100 yard shot and I can squeeze another 5 out of it when needed in the right conditions. The HMP PW seems to be my 130 club even though the loft is not stupid strong.

> > > > > > Then comes the issue of feel which is subjective. I had no idea where I was hitting the HMP on the face. I have played a lot of Mizuno irons but let me say, if this were their only iron we would have never heard "Nothing feels like a Mizuno". They feel just like a ton of other irons out their IMO, and that is not a game breaker for me. I really don't have to have that forged blade feel, but I do want to know where I am hitting it on the face.

> > > > > > Yesterday was day one on the course for my transition to a GI. I owe it to myself to put at least a month into this change because it is a substantial adjustment. Yesterday was my highest score in the last 18 months. I am not saying it was the fault of the irons. What I am saying is that the "game Improvement" in them not only could not rescue my bad play, but my perception was added to it.

> > > > > > More time will tell but for now I miss my skinny v-soled blades that cut through turf like butter and let me know exactly where I hit them on the face. I did hit one pretty down hill 180 yard 7i but it did not get in the hole any quicker than my old 180 yard 5i would have :-).

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > There’s a level of player where nothing is gonna help so just play what you’re trying to talk yourself into playing. If you’re hitting the ball properly then the sole doesn’t matter at all other than a preference. If you can’t tell where you’re hitting on the face maybe there’s a sensory issue as most people can tell where they hit it on the face regardless of club.

> > > >

> > > > I am trying something new...something I have never tried before...something I am having initial difficulty with. You have contributed three sentences, each of which I find condescending and inflammatory. If you are good enough to back it up, your comment is still condescending and inflammatory. After 10 years away from golf due to 2 compound fractured arms, I now play between a 7 and a 8. Before the multiple trauma surgeries, I was maybe a little closer to your level playing to a 3 at a slope of 128. So what do you have...scratch...better than scratch...former pro...burnt out, insecure, always want to be, think you are better and smarter than you are?

> > > > Such insight from a gifted intellect...I am sure you have much more to give but you can spare me your thoughts about my "sensory issue", what you think "I am trying to talk" myself into, and my ability to "hit a ball properly". Just give me a wink from the U.S. Open at Pebble when they hand you the trophy stud and I will know you can walk what you talk.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings and not sure why the need to throw the extra sympathy points after the fact. I’m a realist and know my strengths and weaknesses. I’m not gonna play equipment and just hope for the best. Some days I strike it great and some days not so great. It happens to all golfers but it’s a bit different with a world class ball striker vs a single digit guy or anyone else. There’s already a blade fluffer thread so not sure what you’re hoping for by creating a “dead horse” topic. Some will tell you what you want to hear and others will not and sorry you can’t accept that. At some point a golfer has to accept their capabilities and realize no amount of practice is gonna change certain aspects of their game to a great degree.

> >

> > This has zero to do with my feelings. I came to a place dedicated to golf and a place inhabited by many who love the game. A place where I have gotten some great advice and a place I have gotten some good laughs. I made a post as sincere and accurate as I know how to be, and in no way did it show a lack of courtesy or respect to any member of this forum. Then you came into this with your first post and now a second dripping with contention ( "extra sympathy points" "already a blade fluffer thread" "don't know what you are hoping for creating a "dead horse" topic").

> > What I am doing is try a change personally and being honest about my results. I thought others here may enjoy talking about a similar experience and offer what gains or losses they saw when they moved to a GI or Players Distance Iron. It really has not taken off in the direction I hoped so maybe my OP was poorly worded and I did not communicate well.

> >

> > I don't know how much game you have but you leave no doubt that your intentions in both of your post were aimed straight at me, with no effort to add anything constructive to my conversation. If your intention was to discredit my OP maybe you have succeeded ? If your intention is to discredit me personally you have been much less effective than a video of a couple of shots I made Friday would be :-). I am not sure why we got started the way we did but if you ever come through S.W. Missouri maybe we could grab a beer (you buy) and get a better understanding of each other. If you had a couple of days, we could get in a round (for money), do some pistol shooting at my club(for money), and I could show off some great protection work from world class Schutzhund dogs (we would let you put on the bite suit). PM me for my phone number if you are ever in my direction. I think a little face to face measuring would do us some good. We just might walk away with a little more respect for one another....maybe!

>

> Listen ignore this guy who is condescending beyond belief. I'm the same handicap as you and I'm trying the opposite this year going from callaway original apex (keeping them) to x forged 2018. But I debate going the other way (tried ugly as sin cobra f9 in sim & they were great) and love your thread.

> This guy trying to be a troll is dripping with passive aggressive insulting comments.

> He's just a waste of breath. Adds absolutely nothing to the conversation. Good luck with your experiment keep posting.

Thank you very much for the kind words Sir!

I too would love to hear more about the path you have chosen. The X Forged are obviously a solid set and a good place for you to try in that direction. When you get a chance tell us what you think about the move and a little about the direction your scores go.

I will make another short post about todays round away from your quote.

Thanks again for the support! Always nice to have someone reinforce your perception !

• Like 1

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

Todays round, while much better than the last was by no means stellar. When you are coming off you worst score in 18 months the bar is pretty low. On the front side I hit no club well and consider myself fortunate to card a 42. On that side no iron type would have made any difference.

On the back, I did manage to hit a few drives and a few iron shots. I put some tape on the heads and found I was hitting too many shots to the heal side of center(my normal miss). I made a little adjustment and hit some shots. I was still a couple over but I did hit 6 greens in regulation on the back.

As for the irons, I still am struggling with the turf interaction in my mind. They are longer than any iron I have played only considering the number on the bottom, but loft is a part of that no doubt. I haven't hit anything that I would consider hot coming off the face, and distance consistency seems to be better than I expected. I have hit a lot of balls and they still look like new. And though my hands are cut and blistered a little, my joints are holding up great with this head and Recoil shaft combo.

One more day tomorrow on a tough out of town course. It will be a good test if I can keep getting a little more comfortable.

Scores have been: 96 (that was hard to type) and today 80. If I can find the 70's tomorrow I would be pleased with the progress.

Best to all!

PS: If I could find a NICE set of Z745 or Z765 with Recoil shafts I would be all over them. I love that suggestion and almost went that direction instead of the one I chose. A little buyers remorse right now :-)

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

> @Nessism said:

> HMP are distance players irons, not GI irons. The MOI is not particularly high, although more so than your blades, so off center strike forgiveness is not into the realm of modern true GI irons. In terms of how much the clubs may benefit your game, that depends on what your miss is. If you miss heavy or thin I doubt the clubs will help, but if you miss off the sweet spot then they should.

>

> Back when I was playing blades my first foray into CB irons was a failure because the clubs didn't suit me. I went back to blades and swore to never stray again. Eventually I broke my promise and tried some more suitable CB irons and liked them, but the real mean shift came with a set of G10's purchased on a lark. I was just flabbergasted with how easy they were to hit and I'll never go back to hard to hit clubs again, other than just for fun now and again.

I can second this about the HMPs. It's not the most forgiving of clubs and they are cast, so I do feel like the payoff when you do hit it pure is not as good as with a forged club. That said, I can tell perfectly well where it hit on the face so I can't say that's been an issue for me.

But you do have to spend time (and maybe money) finding the right GI set. I tried the real large head SGI irons for awhile and ironically, my problem was not with bad, off center shots (because they still pretty much flew although they were mishit terribly) but with good shots that felt flush and perfect but flew far forward and far off target. Although I don't like the strictness of the true blades, I didn't feel like a shot that wild should have felt that good.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2