Whistling Straits & Blackwolf Run River Course Late April Review

BG5

I was lucky enough to have a wonderful 36 hole day at Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run and both courses are flat out amazing. The staff was outstanding at both and I can easily see why these properties are considered 5 star resorts. Both courses may be the most difficult courses I have ever played but I still had a blast.

Whistling Straits Thoughts

-Conditions were fantastic for late April

-One of the toughest courses Ive ever played (Blackwolf run is prob harder than WS)

-Most scenic course I have ever seen as most holes go right along Lake Michigan

-The first 4 holes are simply amazing

-Best set of par 3's I have ever played

- Holes 5, 10 and 18 seemed a bit weird and did not really fit the course

- Greens were fast with lots the elevation change

- PAce of play was great and walked it with my caddie in under 4 hours

- My Caddie (Eric) was amazing and the best caddie I have ever had. I would use him again if I went back

- Most holes are North/South so wind is either helping you or right in your face

- The tips where the pros played from are crazy difficult and its amazing to think they lit that place up

- course is tight and driving is difficult

- greens and small and narrow and hitting greens is really tough

- there is trouble everywhere

- A bit to much mounding by pete dye

Blackwolf Run - River Course

-better condition than WS

-course is tougher than WS

-in a weird way reminded me alot of Forest Dunes

-very tough course to use a driver on

-greens rolled better than WS

-For those playing 36 holes its better to get a replay rate on day you play. It saved me $100 and If I would of booked my 36 hole day over the phone I would of lost all that money

Final Thoughts

-A must play for all

- It will prob be a 36 hole day that I play ever 5-10 years as the courses are just to tough for me being a weekend warrior

- I would actually prefer to play Arcadia Bluffs and Forest Dunes on a 36 hole day over Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run - Pure Michigan.....Still loved the courses but you can score better on the Michigan courses

Playing 36 holes at Arcadia Bluffs tomorrow so it will be great to compare it again with WS. Plan to play Erin Hills and Sand VAlley here in the next few weeks before my wife has our baby :) Trying to go big cause my golf life is gonna take a hit soon :)

Any questions let me know.

Cheers!

BG5

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

I hit shots into a lot of them but nothing a simple “foot wedge” couldn’t take care of.

Playing Arcadia Bluffs in morning so it will be fun to compare them since I’m playing them do close together

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

> @BG5 said:

> I hit shots into a lot of them but nothing a simple “foot wedge” couldn’t take care of.

>

> Playing Arcadia Bluffs in morning so it will be fun to compare them since I’m playing them do close together

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on Arcadia and how it compares to Whistling. I personally have Whistling as a clear favorite of the two, but I have only played each once. Whistling, in my opinion, is a superior routing that takes better advantage of the lake, but it also benefits from the simple fact that it is walking only. The atmosphere on a walking only course is hard to describe, but it is certainly different and I think courses designed with only the walker in mind result in a more cohesive routing and progression of the course while playing. My most memorable rounds of golf in terms of the course itself are basically all walking only courses or have a significant walking culture (eg. Bandon courses, Sand Valley, Erin Hills, Whistling Irish and Straits, Lawsonia, Bethpage Black).

Still, Arcadia Bluffs was a very fun experience (play the South Course too if you can, I preferred it for reasons noted above along with the chance to play golden age inspired architecture), and worth the trip, so I hope you enjoy your round!

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

> @BG5 said:

> I was lucky enough to have a wonderful 36 hole day at Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run and both courses are flat out amazing. The staff was outstanding at both and I can easily see why these properties are considered 5 star resorts. Both courses may be the most difficult courses I have ever played but I still had a blast.

>

> Whistling Straits Thoughts

> -Conditions were fantastic for late April

> -One of the toughest courses Ive ever played (Blackwolf run is prob harder than WS)

> -Most scenic course I have ever seen as most holes go right along Lake Michigan

> -The first 4 holes are simply amazing

> -Best set of par 3's I have ever played

> - Holes 5, 10 and 18 seemed a bit weird and did not really fit the course

> - Greens were fast with lots the elevation change

> - PAce of play was great and walked it with my caddie in under 4 hours

> - My Caddie (Eric) was amazing and the best caddie I have ever had. I would use him again if I went back

> - Most holes are North/South so wind is either helping you or right in your face

> - The tips where the pros played from are crazy difficult and its amazing to think they lit that place up

> - course is tight and driving is difficult

> - greens and small and narrow and hitting greens is really tough

> - there is trouble everywhere

> - A bit to much mounding by pete dye

>

>

> Blackwolf Run - River Course

> -better condition than WS

> -course is tougher than WS

> -in a weird way reminded me alot of Forest Dunes

> -very tough course to use a driver on

> -greens rolled better than WS

> -For those playing 36 holes its better to get a replay rate on day you play. It saved me $100 and If I would of booked my 36 hole day over the phone I would of lost all that money

>

>

>

I agree with everything you said. I have been lucky enough to play WS 4 times and BWR 3 times (plus the Championship course once). BWR is actually my favorite of the Kohler courses. My only 'complaint' about WS (and what gives BWR a slight edge, to me) is the fact that a few of WS holes look and play very similar. I agree with our that 5, 10 and 18 don't really fit. But from my point of view, a few of the par 3's look the same. Even though the lengths are different, #3 looks like #17, and #7 looks like #12.

> @Chanceman said:

> Is that a typical end of winter look in Wisconsin? Appears very dry. I thought it would be a lot greener.

That is a fairly typical look for a course immediately out of winter. There is a lot of brown/dead look for the first week to month depending on grass composition. However once the weather warms up to around 50 and we get a little rain it greens up in a hurry. I am sure that if you pictured these same holes even today they would look noticeably greener, and they will certainly look like different holes in 2 weeks.

Another thing that is in play here is that whistling uses a large amount of fescue in their grass composition in the fairways and roughs, which tends to be a "browner" grass. The greens and tees are a bent grass which is why they are much greener. Even at peak times at whistling you will see a lot of shades of brown in the fescue grasses.

> @BG5 said:

> I was lucky enough to have a wonderful 36 hole day at Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run and both courses are flat out amazing. The staff was outstanding at both and I can easily see why these properties are considered 5 star resorts. Both courses may be the most difficult courses I have ever played but I still had a blast.

>

> Whistling Straits Thoughts

> -Conditions were fantastic for late April

> -One of the toughest courses Ive ever played (Blackwolf run is prob harder than WS)

> -Most scenic course I have ever seen as most holes go right along Lake Michigan

> -The first 4 holes are simply amazing

> -Best set of par 3's I have ever played

> - Holes 5, 10 and 18 seemed a bit weird and did not really fit the course

> - Greens were fast with lots the elevation change

> - PAce of play was great and walked it with my caddie in under 4 hours

> - My Caddie (Eric) was amazing and the best caddie I have ever had. I would use him again if I went back

> - Most holes are North/South so wind is either helping you or right in your face

> - The tips where the pros played from are crazy difficult and its amazing to think they lit that place up

> - course is tight and driving is difficult

> - greens and small and narrow and hitting greens is really tough

> - there is trouble everywhere

> - A bit to much mounding by pete dye

>

>

> Blackwolf Run - River Course

> -better condition than WS

> -course is tougher than WS

> -in a weird way reminded me alot of Forest Dunes

> -very tough course to use a driver on

> -greens rolled better than WS

> -For those playing 36 holes its better to get a replay rate on day you play. It saved me $100 and If I would of booked my 36 hole day over the phone I would of lost all that money

>

>

> Final Thoughts

> -A must play for all

> - It will prob be a 36 hole day that I play ever 5-10 years as the courses are just to tough for me being a weekend warrior

> - I would actually prefer to play Arcadia Bluffs and Forest Dunes on a 36 hole day over Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run - Pure Michigan.....Still loved the courses but you can score better on the Michigan courses

>

>

> Playing 36 holes at Arcadia Bluffs tomorrow so it will be great to compare it again with WS. Plan to play Erin Hills and Sand VAlley here in the next few weeks before my wife has our baby :) Trying to go big cause my golf life is gonna take a hit soon :)

>

> Any questions let me know.

>

> Cheers!

>

> BG5

>

How have the greens healed from aeration? I know they did it a couple weeks ago, but just curious how they played. Playing there Thursday in the cold, rainy weather.

love the look of the course in your photos. It's a look one doesn't normally see in most photos of WS.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

The greens at Whistling Straits were fine to put on but they were def not as good as Arcadia or Blackwolf Run. With that being said they ball still rolled fine and I am assuming by the time you get there they should be in pretty good shape. Enjoy and my only advice is not to play much break as they seem pretty pure.

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

> @Quem24 said:

> I have heard Whistling Straits is a one star course and the caddies suck so thank you for your alternate viewpoint.

>

> I assume you did not hit any shots into waste ar... Excuse me, bunkers?

This deserves a lot more likes. If I could I'd give you more. I laugh every time "My one-star review of WS" makes it back to the first page.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @ldchristopher said:

> > @Quem24 said:

> > I have heard Whistling Straits is a one star course and the caddies suck so thank you for your alternate viewpoint.

> >

> > I assume you did not hit any shots into waste ar... Excuse me, bunkers?

> This deserves a lot more likes. If I could I'd give you more. I laugh every time "My one-star review of WS" makes it back to the first page.

One of the best and most notorious threads on golfwrx.

Caddies name was Eric and is 35 years old and sadly I do not have his last name. Great guy and really went above and beyond what I expect in a caddie!

• Like 1

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Headed there in October.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Looking forward to hearing your review of the Irish Straits course along with the other course at Blackwolf .....takes some pics of those if possible and share with us :)

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Problem is that we are NEVER going to get a PGA again with it in May, just don't think the reliability of getting the course open for it is there. Which sucks because it is SUCH a great place to watch the championship. Shame they have been hampered by super wet weeks where the pros can take the course apart. I am really looking forward to the Ryder Cup because I think there are quite a few GREAT match play holes expecially if they move the tee up on 10 and invite the guys going for it.

I agree about not getting anything in May as there is always a chance of snow. To bad they moved it up as it appears that just really screwed the midwest chances on a number of courses

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

The 5th "Kohler" course they are trying to get off the ground on the south-side of Sheboygan is supposed to be built with the intent of hosting a US Open. It didn't seem like the USGA was keen on using Whistling Straits for an open (not sure of the inside story on that one), but Herbie wanted to stay in the major game and knew that the chances of a PGA were diminished with the August move.

Don't shoot the messenger, please! :D

> @"Big A HG" said:

> The 5th "Kohler" course they are trying to get off the ground on the south-side of Sheboygan is supposed to be built with the intent of hosting a US Open. It didn't seem like the USGA was keen on using Whistling Straits for an open (not sure of the inside story on that one), but Herbie wanted to stay in the major game and knew that the chances of a PGA were diminished with the August move.

>

> Don't shoot the messenger, please! :D

and that 5th course has been a nightmare to get going...

I originally had heard that he wasn't keen on Whistling for an open because he liked the browned out fescue...

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

> @aiyyer said:

> Whistling Straits looked incredible for this time today. Swarms of flies though..

I went this time 2 years ago. I think it was the 3rd/4th holes were almost unplayable. Literally like a plague. I had never seen anything like it. Couldn't open your mouth or anything. We played those couple holes real quick, then they went away.

• 1 month later...