Design your own irons?

#Design your own irons, no restrictions.

What would you build and why? Which characteristics would you want in your personalized set?

Which numbered irons would you play? Which things would you take from previous iron sets and add to your 100% ideal iron set for you?

* Lofts?

* Composition?

* Finish?

* Shafts?

* Details?

* How would they play?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I already did. Standard lofts, zero offset, killed LE, but most important: low head weight to get D5 swingweight at 2" over standard. Completely transformed my iron game.     ""![](https://s3.amazon

I'd like modernized s55's - stronger modern lofts - I want a low heel and high toe with SQUARE lines. No rounded toes and rounded leading edges FFS. Am I the only one? - less busy/badging so mor

The best thing that can be added to ANY iron head design is a weight port in the bottom of the hosel. Number one problem with building clubs these days is proper weighting with lightweight shafts.  

Tagged a # of people I've learned something from in hopes to make sure I get some thoughtful reply's thanks for your consideration.

@NRJyzr @reider69 @Jagpilotohio @FairwayFred @easyyy @cardoustie @Forged4ever @nsxguy @Gxgolfer @chisag @rxk9fan @agolf1 @mantan @"Jack Pearsall" @cgasucks @DavePelz4 @BCULAW @bogeypro @BiggErn @gvogel @craz-e @Myherobobhope @RichieHunt @Nard_S @justasgood @lawsonman @"lil'mike" @Nessism @erikro @jbrunk @rgk5 @platgof Your thoughts?

I’m coming back to this later... I have some thoughts.

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I would love to actually build some irons. Merging a few designs that I liked. When I was young, I had played a set of TM progressives. PR1 I think they are designated. As you go to the long irons, the the club heads got shallower with a wider sole. I've never had a long iron that was so easy to hit. The other irons I remember fondly are the Wright IP blades. They were a closed cavity design, really clean looking. You could put modern material in there to manipulate the feel and provide a very soft feel.

So a fairly traditional compact blade shape with a closed cavity. Maintains the look of a traditional blade with some cavity back benefit. cast, 48* pw. At the 6 iron, the heads would start getting compressed a bit, so they shallow out with a slightly wider sole + more weight low. The 3 iron wouldn't be as extreme as the photo, but you get the idea. The end result would be a set of irons that are extremely playable "players set" with hybrid like forgiveness in the long irons, while still feeling more like a long iron.

hwv3zl760esa.jpg

I'd like modernized s55's

- stronger modern lofts

- I want a low heel and high toe with SQUARE lines. No rounded toes and rounded leading edges FFS. Am I the only one?

- less busy/badging so more like the i500 and Blueprint design wise on the backside

- slightly longer face in the 6-7 mid-irons (I play around with blending in Rapture and Rapture J-specs here) EVERYONE IS BLENDING NOWADAYS, and not taking Jack Lalane and juicers

- make the 5 iron that matches the set like a thinner driving iron, a nice low offset transition from the 4h

- heavier tungsten toe weight

- satin finish (the old darker gray Guyson finish that was indestructible please)

- a little more heel and trailing edge relief

- graphite in 115g. Likely Fuji Pro shafts. Old guy problem

- sticking with my beloved sticky 2.3 iomics

Really I want the illegitimate dragon baby of a rapture J-spec and s55 that is a newer and revved up ... if that makes sense to anyone

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Blueboard 63x & 7w 19.5* Bboard 73x 

Cally Apex '19 4h & 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Callaway x-forged UT 27* AD DI 85x

Srixon ZX7 7 - PW PX Catalyst 100 6.5 
Vokey TVD M 51* & TVD M 57* Oil s400 

Vokey SM2 Oil Finish 63* DG TI s400 

Scotty GoLo 7 (35g weights)

> @cardoustie said:

> I'd like modernized s55's

> - stronger modern lofts

> - I want a low heel and high toe with SQUARE lines. No rounded toes and rounded leading edges FFS. Am I the only one?

> - less busy/badging so more like the i500 and Blueprint design wise on the backside

> - slightly longer face in the 6-7 mid-irons (I play around with blending in Rapture and Rapture J-specs here) EVERYONE IS BLENDING NOWADAYS, and not taking Jack Lalane and juicers

> - make the 5 iron that matches the set like a thinner driving iron, a nice low offset transition from the 4h

> - heavier tungsten toe weight

> - satin finish (the old darker gray Guyson finish that was indestructible please)

> - a little more heel and trailing edge relief

> - graphite in 115g. Likely Fuji Pro shafts. Old guy problem

> - sticking with my beloved sticky 2.3 iomics

> Really I want the illegitimate dragon baby of a rapture J-spec and s55 that is a newer and revved up ... if that makes sense to anyone

Knew you would knock it out of the park, and at the same time I knew you would have your finger on the "pulse."

I'd imagine the vast majority of the answers are going to be in that range your talking about.

What looked to us when I started, what we aspire to, what's worked for us in the long past and whats worked for us recently and hopefully going forward. Maybe where the square toe preference comes in?

Then add a couple of features that have maybe been neglected by OEM's in their mid range to add more curb appeal and voila we're there. The kind of answers that many of us are going to give.

Example obviously the Guyson finish is great, presumably it was phased out because its doesn't bring people in like shiny chrome or other finishes I imagine.

@cardoustie What I learned quickly from your post is that OEM's may have an opportunity to sell us not only what we need but also what we want:

If they would just make their blended sets up front they could sell them like PGA player X blends at the 4-5 iron Amateur Y with your SS you may want to blend at 6-7 iron and here is why.... disclose fitting, data playing conditions etc all.

So sure they may need more GI long and mid irons but I'd think they'd be able to control inventory to some degree. We're only talking a couple of clubs and if they can predict demand, if most OEM's could inspire half the loyalty that Ping has with their performance, custom fitting and "indestucto" finishes I'd imagine they'd be ahead in the long run even if just hats, towels etc all. While the irons keep going and going.

Thank you!

six9fea1m06d.png

A modern groove and material version of this head, with the Srixon sole design. If you do not recognize this head it is the cobra reverse muscle head. Add a little tungsten to the toe or sole and call it a day. Lofts starting at 20 degrees for 3 iron to 47 with PW just spread them evenly between those.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

> @QuigleyDU said:

> six9fea1m06d.png

> A modern groove and material version of this head, with the Srixon sole design. If you do not recognize this head it is the cobra reverse muscle head. Add a little tungsten to the toe or sole and call it a day. Lofts starting at 20 degrees for 3 iron to 47 with PW just spread them evenly between those.

Tell me about the reverse muscle, please. How it performed etc. I only know Norman was pushing the cavities while he was playing blades.

> @JAMH03 said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > six9fea1m06d.png

> > A modern groove and material version of this head, with the Srixon sole design. If you do not recognize this head it is the cobra reverse muscle head. Add a little tungsten to the toe or sole and call it a day. Lofts starting at 20 degrees for 3 iron to 47 with PW just spread them evenly between those.

>

> Tell me about the reverse muscle, please. How it performed etc. I only know Norman was pushing the cavities while he was playing blades.

Well, the had the weight on top instead of the bottom. produced a very strong ball flight. They are pretty long in the tooth now. With current balls I am not sure many could get the 3 iron off the ground. Very square shaped.

I would also add, that it would be cool if they were raw heads.

PUTTER; LAB DF2.1

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @JAMH03 said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > six9fea1m06d.png

> > > A modern groove and material version of this head, with the Srixon sole design. If you do not recognize this head it is the cobra reverse muscle head. Add a little tungsten to the toe or sole and call it a day. Lofts starting at 20 degrees for 3 iron to 47 with PW just spread them evenly between those.

> >

> > Tell me about the reverse muscle, please. How it performed etc. I only know Norman was pushing the cavities while he was playing blades.

>

> Well, the had the weight on top instead of the bottom. produced a very strong ball flight. They are pretty long in the tooth now. With current balls I am not sure many could get the 3 iron off the ground. Very square shaped.

>

> I would also add, that it would be cool if they were raw heads.

If I remember correctly, they were actually designed by McGregor which means Don White probably had a hand in them. I could be wrong about that though.

PUTTER; LAB DF2.1

For me, I'd be looking at a Golden Ram Tour Grind, with front to back camber and some killed leading edge. Lofts would be 18* to 50* with even 4* gaps.

Shafts, I'm not sure. Super Peening Blue, maybe, or some form of mid to heavy graphite?

Pretty basic. :smiley:

edit: forgot about the offset. Yeah, none. As in, 986 Tour lack of offset.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X -or- King LTD, NV ProtoPype 80 X, 43.25" 

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58*; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Kirkland Signature v3.2

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

My set would look like the 8-PW MP-53s (i.e., without the cavity) or a left-handed MP-64 in 3-PW (21-49). I wouldn't mind having the actual lofts stamped on the soles but if not there would definitely be no G, A, U, etc. I don't believe in gap wedges. The finish would be the white satin from the limited edition MP-53s (the JPX900 Forgeds and Tours are the closest thing I've seen recently). They'd have KBS Tour 120s since I've been playing them for the last five years. A guy can dream ...

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

TaylorMade M2 2017 (16.5) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

PXG 0311 XP Gen3 (17) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Mizuno MP-53 (3-PW, 20-48) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM7 (54.10 S @ 53, 58.10 S @ 59) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115

Edel McKenzie (34)

0gy8ppdvbzyy.png

d2j5cuc3asqr.png

This but more modern. Blunted lead edge and more front to back camber in the sole with modern lofts. Same square toe and clean flush square lead edge. This was my favorite blade I ever hit. I had a custom Macgregor Vfoil blade made to try to mimic these but the blade wasn’t as deep top to bottom. They were incredible blades though and I used them til the grooves wore flat.

SRIXON ZX5 9.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 60X.                                              SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               SRIXON H85 16 MATRIX BLACKTIE 95 SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                   CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0                                         CLEVELAND RTX4 58* CATALYST 100 6.0.                                             SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @JAMH03 said:

> > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > six9fea1m06d.png

> > > > A modern groove and material version of this head, with the Srixon sole design. If you do not recognize this head it is the cobra reverse muscle head. Add a little tungsten to the toe or sole and call it a day. Lofts starting at 20 degrees for 3 iron to 47 with PW just spread them evenly between those.

> > >

> > > Tell me about the reverse muscle, please. How it performed etc. I only know Norman was pushing the cavities while he was playing blades.

> >

> > Well, the had the weight on top instead of the bottom. produced a very strong ball flight. They are pretty long in the tooth now. With current balls I am not sure many could get the 3 iron off the ground. Very square shaped.

> >

> > I would also add, that it would be cool if they were raw heads.

>

> If I remember correctly, they were actually designed by McGregor which means Don White probably had a hand in them. I could be wrong about that though.

Great recall Quigs??!!

It was Don White who first designed em for Norman based off of his VIP Pros, and they also had a thicker sole.

And yea, you’d better have some serious club head speed to hit those long irons, lolol

Stay well Brother?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I was privileged to know Don White. I was involved in inducting him into the PCS Clubmaker's Hall of Fame. A Master Grinder he is, but he is not a club designer. Don's forte was grinding blanks to suit the specific golf as in make the club look like they wanted it. Yes a Master in one respect but not a golf club

designer like say Tom Wishon.

An artist not a scientist...

SRIXON ZX5 9.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 60X.                                              SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               SRIXON H85 16 MATRIX BLACKTIE 95 SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                   CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0                                         CLEVELAND RTX4 58* CATALYST 100 6.0.                                             SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

I wonder why squarer lines gave way to rounded ?

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Blueboard 63x & 7w 19.5* Bboard 73x 

Cally Apex '19 4h & 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Callaway x-forged UT 27* AD DI 85x

Srixon ZX7 7 - PW PX Catalyst 100 6.5 
Vokey TVD M 51* & TVD M 57* Oil s400 

Vokey SM2 Oil Finish 63* DG TI s400 

Scotty GoLo 7 (35g weights)

A combo set that isn't comprised of 3 different head designs, but designed as a combo set. Something like a Nike VR Pro Combo. Satin finish ala Mizuno JPX900 Tours. Strong lofts, for me 2-3°. Designed for lower flight in shorter irons and higher flight in longer irons. Not boxy, but more square, higher toe is better. Minimal offset, like 0.5° to 3° from PW to 3i. Straighter looking leading edge with a Srixon heel/toe relief grind but I want a little bit of bounce, like R7 TP sole roll. Softer metal, not as soft as Cleveland CMM though. Long neck, deep hosels.

Shafts would be either Nippon ORA X, maybe soft-stepped, or Nippon LSL X if they ever get around to releasing them. Grips are NDMC Midsize cord. With tiny silicone nubs like Rosemark putter grips.

TaylorMade M3 9.5° w/ Graphite Design TourAD GP 6 TX
TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max 5W 19° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5 (Hunting for a 17.5° tour issue SIM head.)
TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ Modus Nippon Modus Prototype ORA X

Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter and Rosemark Thorn 1.25 grip

Reverse muscle blade like the MacCobras. Squarer toe, no offset, slightly pre-worn leading edge. Lofts ranging from a 20* 2 iron to a 50* PW.

Stamping wise, I'd only do the respective iron number on the sole and a small "personal model" towards the toe. Otherwise completely clean. Satin finish, DG X100s without labels and victory cords to finish it off

Callaway Mav SZ 3D 9

TaylorMade M3 17.5

Cobra F9 DI 19.5

Yonex CB-301 4-PW

Vokey SM8 50F, 54F, 58T

Odyssey 2Ball Ten WH

> @cardoustie said:

> I wonder why squarer lines gave way to rounded ?

Round seems to be the aesthetic now. With my Wilson K-28's 1st pic are of wilson staff I couldn't find a pic of my old ones. With these Wilsons though I could certainly see the square lines, seeming to maybe add some confidence or order to the look. Top line seems to resemble the lynx parallax that I've loved.

Check these pics out and note the Pingeye 2 played by the best player of the last 50 years.

2nd pic is Parallax face, which seems to resemble 3rd is S-55

ucanpxjjujov.png

f2b8t4mna5vr.png

cpu7oj28tkvj.png

x13qijxvrzlz.png

piye4hwwb18m.png

cuwssg2iq8mt.png

hlg9x2btek1v.png

mb7bfjolod43.png

wr9d85te94gk.png

umjc1uldodcy.png

• Like 1

> @molecularman said:

> I would love to actually build some irons. Merging a few designs that I liked. When I was young, I had played a set of TM progressives. PR1 I think they are designated. As you go to the long irons, the the club heads got shallower with a wider sole. I've never had a long iron that was so easy to hit. The other irons I remember fondly are the Wright IP blades. They were a closed cavity design, really clean looking. You could put modern material in there to manipulate the feel and provide a very soft feel.

>

> So a fairly traditional compact blade shape with a closed cavity. Maintains the look of a traditional blade with some cavity back benefit. cast, 48* pw. At the 6 iron, the heads would start getting compressed a bit, so they shallow out with a slightly wider sole + more weight low. The 3 iron wouldn't be as extreme as the photo, but you get the idea. The end result would be a set of irons that are extremely playable "players set" with hybrid like forgiveness in the long irons, while still feeling more like a long iron.

> hwv3zl760esa.jpg

>

>

Whoa never seen those before. Obviously what's old is new.

eqnltbykv8m9.png

> @JCAG said:

> I was privileged to know Don White. I was involved in inducting him into the PCS Clubmaker's Hall of Fame. A Master Grinder he is, but he is not a club designer. Don's forte was grinding blanks to suit the specific golf as in make the club look like they wanted it. Yes a Master in one respect but not a golf club

> designer like say Tom Wishon.

Huh?

The best thing that can be added to ANY iron head design is a weight port in the bottom of the hosel. Number one problem with building clubs these days is proper weighting with lightweight shafts.

BT

• Like 2

Cobra LTD Pro 9.5° Proforce V2 Black 7F4 @ 44.5"
Cobra LTD Black 14.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
Cobra F6 16.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Oddysey Stroke Lab V-Line Blk 33.5"

I want a forged players CB that looks like a blade at address with ZERO offset. It definitely needs a smallish head with a thin topline. Some of the ideas of the GI category would be implemented. I would include a tad wider sole than the average forged MB or CB that can be used in various turf conditions, but also provide some of the benefits of a lower CG as well. Because of the lower CG, the head would include about 2-3 degrees of stronger loft. Because of the stronger lofts, I would include some of the techniques that TaylorMade has incorporated into the P7-TW to offset some of the reduced spin rates you see.

Right now, there isn't anything quite like what I'm envisioning on the market (that I know of). If you want minimal/zero offset and a beautiful look at address, you're stuck with minimal forgiveness. If you want that forgiveness, you start getting into bigger, clunkier head shapes and appearances that aren't very confidence inspiring to me. For example, the Mizuno JPX 919 Tours look pretty good, but the 919 Forged look unhittable to me, despite those even being on the player iron side of things. However, the 919 Tours still have more offset than I like to see.

I'd love a set of 4-PW Titleist 718 AP2s with the profile, feel, and finish of a Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (except blade length of AP2) and p760/790 speed foam in the 4-5 irons. 1 deg strong and upright. Shaft would be a c-taper 130x that feels like a DG x100. D4 swing weight. TV full cord midsize align grip. Wish all of this was my setup.

Titleist TSi3 7.25 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70 TX

Titleist TSi3 14.25 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana DF 80 TX

Titleist 816 H2 18.25 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90 X

Titleist T200 4-5 - Project X 6.5

Titleist T100 6-PW - Project X 6.5

Vokey SM8 Jet Black 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.08 M - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1x