My experience gaming clubs that were designed for my handicap range

MtlJeff

> @Nard_S said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > How come this standard is never applied to Driver (metals), wedges and putter?

> > > How is it progress when you need a wedge set, bladed shorts, GI mids and hybrids (all with progressive kicked and weighted shafts too) to cover what was once one uniform configuration?

> >

> > I have actually pondered aloud at times why someone can hit a 460cc driver but be offended at the sight of SGI irons due to clunkiness. It does seem a bit bizarre.

> >

> > Anyway, I'm not sure what standard isn't being applied, I think some mfr's do target players with drivers too (open faced vs non, etc)

> >

> > Edit**** interestingly I own two drivers, one is an F8+ which is a "better players" club. The other a G400 max. If I use the F8+ I'd say my whole bag probably fits the "intended customer" in terms of marketing

> >

> >

>

> I think that if your playing better players' irons, it should be matched by the same in metals. I do find it weird folks can be all GI on one or "All Pro" on the other and that goes both ways. Blade guys w/ bombastic mega GI driver or SGI guys w/ DJ's TX shaft. Things should be symbiotic in my book.

>

>

>

>

Some people are scooping with all their clubs, works fine with a driver, but doesn't work with anything else. Ping and Callaway know this so they have irons that accommodate this.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

I wonder what percentage of golfers are playing the clubs that are “best” for their game... I wonder what and where the cutoff is, especially considering everything is mostly standardized... maybe I’d be better off in clubs that are 3/5ths an inch over standard... would that make a measurable difference?

If I hate the look of a club but hit it better in a cage, will those results move over to the course?

Golf is a weird game because everything is different every day... our clubs are one of the few constants. I wonder how much value the average golfer would get from thinking more about it... but maybe just the act of thinking through what you want your clubs to do will be a bet positive.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I played 9 today, first time with the HMP 5i in the bag, and 3rd round with the rest of the HMPs, having moved from i210s. Given where my game is at the moment, the i210 is probably a bit too "player", whereas the HMP is likely more appropriate. I don't need offset so the HMP is somewhat of a unicorn. My score wasn't great (4 over for 9 holes) but the greens were punched and sanded last week so putting was frankly impossible. I did have 4 putts that hit the back of the cup and pppped out or were short but dead on-line.

More importantly, the irons weren't letting me down Both par 3s where I hit iron were on the green (a 9i on one, 6i on the other), hit a nice lay up with a 5i (ended up right where I wanted), and hit a couple other greens. Either I turned a corner on my swing after Monday's lesson or the "appropriate" irons were doing their job. I'm going to go with a little from column A, a little from column B...

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

> @Nessism said:

> It's alway seems to be the higher cappers using small players clubs and blades that take offence to the suggestion that they may be better served by more GI oriented irons. Almost never the other way around. When I bought my G25's the fitting guy at the store saw me swinging (I was a 7 capper at the time) and asked why I wanted G's instead of i's? I told him I want the forgiveness because my miss is out on the toe and mitigating that is more valuable to my game than the workability of smaller clubs. Mind you my philosophy has changed over the years; when I was younger I played blades and selected clubs based on appearance. It took me a couple of decades of playing to break the "shovel's" prejudice. If someone told me I would benefit from some GI clubs when I was young I would have scoffed. Truth is though, they would have been right.

So... I played a lot of small headed clubs and slowly decided I was kidding myself with my 7-9 index. Got some P790. A step toward GI for me. And the ball ended up sort of near the green but never felt like I hit it solid. So I tested trying to solve it. Maybe lie, maybe shaft. And I concluded nope, I still needed more help. So I tried G410. This, I fully believed, was smarter. I was into it. And tried them over and over. With different lies and different shafts. Still ... never hit the ball flush. In one session, waiting for the fitter, I hit some ping iblades. And immediately started hitting them solid. Now this isn’t about feel. Any ball struck in the middle of the face that compresses feels good enough to me. This was about solid and dispersion. The fitter came, I tried P790 and G410 in all kinds of permutations. Then I mentioned the iblades. Right away, solid contact. This guy theorizes I can’t swing wider soles clubs. I hit the trailing edge on the turf and clubhead twists is his hunch. I don’t hit the ball fat (as per divot or launch monitor) but it sounds and feels fat

So I am trying a MP4. Just 9 holes but I hit more solid shots in 9 holes than I did in 6 months with P790. (And now eye surgery has me on the bench for 2 weeks) This just mind blowing. I have worked too damn hard on my swing to care about the aesthetics. I want birdies and pars. And I have bought plenty of clubs (and sold them) because of how they looked. To decide MP4 is a solid answer isn’t what I expected. But... there it is.

I actually think you and I agree. Performance is the goal. You have to think for yourself to find it.

And... PS. My GI clubs for when my confidence wanes? The Macgregor 1025M I bought from you all those years ago. GI, as per Ralph Maltby!

• Like 2

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I tested as many options as I could and play the best for me, handicap is irrelevant

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Considering how much of this crazy game is played between the ears I'd say play whatever you feel most confident with, and what is likely to minimise the damage from your bad strike the most.

I prefer looking down on a smaller head with minimal offset, and if I miss the middle I tend towards the heel rather than the toe, so I'm penalised less by a MB or Players CB and gravitate towards those sort of clubs, others may go the other way.

• Like 1

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I purchased my club a couple of years back.....I consistently shot in the low 80's. At that time, this set was 'supposedly' the correct ones based on my handicap. Then I got a new job which limited the amount of time to play and practice. In the scale of 0-10 with 0 as the suckiest, I am now at 3. Recently, I barely broke into the 90's !! You know what, with not playing regularly, I highly doubt if there is any set of clubs that will bring my score down to my glory years of shooting in the low 80's.

[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]fairway - Ping I25 18 degree 5 wood
hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19 & 23
Irons - Mizuno MP68 3-PW
wedges Mizuno MP-T5 50-58
putter - Ping Sigma G Doon[/font][/size]

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Nessism said:

> > It's alway seems to be the higher cappers using small players clubs and blades that take offence to the suggestion that they may be better served by more GI oriented irons. Almost never the other way around. When I bought my G25's the fitting guy at the store saw me swinging (I was a 7 capper at the time) and asked why I wanted G's instead of i's? I told him I want the forgiveness because my miss is out on the toe and mitigating that is more valuable to my game than the workability of smaller clubs. Mind you my philosophy has changed over the years; when I was younger I played blades and selected clubs based on appearance. It took me a couple of decades of playing to break the "shovel's" prejudice. If someone told me I would benefit from some GI clubs when I was young I would have scoffed. Truth is though, they would have been right.

>

> So... I played a lot of small headed clubs and slowly decided I was kidding myself with my 7-9 index. Got some P790. A step toward GI for me. And the ball ended up sort of near the green but never felt like I hit it solid. So I tested trying to solve it. Maybe lie, maybe shaft. And I concluded nope, I still needed more help. So I tried G410. This, I fully believed, was smarter. I was into it. And tried them over and over. With different lies and different shafts. Still ... never hit the ball flush. In one session, waiting for the fitter, I hit some ping iblades. And immediately started hitting them solid. Now this isn’t about feel. Any ball struck in the middle of the face that compresses feels good enough to me. This was about solid and dispersion. The fitter came, I tried P790 and G410 in all kinds of permutations. Then I mentioned the iblades. Right away, solid contact. This guy theorizes I can’t swing wider soles clubs. I hit the trailing edge on the turf and clubhead twists is his hunch. I don’t hit the ball fat (as per divot or launch monitor) but it sounds and feels fat

>

> So I am trying a MP4. Just 9 holes but I hit more solid shots in 9 holes than I did in 6 months with P790. (And now eye surgery has me on the bench for 2 weeks) This just mind blowing. I have worked too **** hard on my swing to care about the aesthetics. I want birdies and pars. And I have bought plenty of clubs (and sold them) because of how they looked. To decide MP4 is a solid answer isn’t what I expected. But... there it is.

>

> I actually think you and I agree. Performance is the goal. You have to think for yourself to find it.

>

> And... PS. My GI clubs for when my confidence wanes? The Macgregor 1025M I bought from you all those years ago. GI, as per Ralph Maltby!

>

>

Mr Blake. You are not alone. If we could get people to at lest try thinner soled clubs for themselves , a lot ( not all) would see the same results you do.

Some people are fine with decent results but never feeling like they hit a solid shot. I can see you aren’t one of them and neither am I. Once the turf gets firm I simply cannot get on with a sole that bounces. You never feel like you hit a pure shot.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @farmer said:

> I use clubs more suited to my age rather than hdcp. Driver, 4 wood, then hybrids through the 7, g30 8,9,w. They are somewhat ugly, but I can get them in the air, they conceal mishits, ideal for an old guy without much speed.

A very smart approach. I am close to going the same way.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @bladehunter said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > @Nessism said:

> > > It's alway seems to be the higher cappers using small players clubs and blades that take offence to the suggestion that they may be better served by more GI oriented irons. Almost never the other way around. When I bought my G25's the fitting guy at the store saw me swinging (I was a 7 capper at the time) and asked why I wanted G's instead of i's? I told him I want the forgiveness because my miss is out on the toe and mitigating that is more valuable to my game than the workability of smaller clubs. Mind you my philosophy has changed over the years; when I was younger I played blades and selected clubs based on appearance. It took me a couple of decades of playing to break the "shovel's" prejudice. If someone told me I would benefit from some GI clubs when I was young I would have scoffed. Truth is though, they would have been right.

> >

> > So... I played a lot of small headed clubs and slowly decided I was kidding myself with my 7-9 index. Got some P790. A step toward GI for me. And the ball ended up sort of near the green but never felt like I hit it solid. So I tested trying to solve it. Maybe lie, maybe shaft. And I concluded nope, I still needed more help. So I tried G410. This, I fully believed, was smarter. I was into it. And tried them over and over. With different lies and different shafts. Still ... never hit the ball flush. In one session, waiting for the fitter, I hit some ping iblades. And immediately started hitting them solid. Now this isn’t about feel. Any ball struck in the middle of the face that compresses feels good enough to me. This was about solid and dispersion. The fitter came, I tried P790 and G410 in all kinds of permutations. Then I mentioned the iblades. Right away, solid contact. This guy theorizes I can’t swing wider soles clubs. I hit the trailing edge on the turf and clubhead twists is his hunch. I don’t hit the ball fat (as per divot or launch monitor) but it sounds and feels fat

> >

> > So I am trying a MP4. Just 9 holes but I hit more solid shots in 9 holes than I did in 6 months with P790. (And now eye surgery has me on the bench for 2 weeks) This just mind blowing. I have worked too **** hard on my swing to care about the aesthetics. I want birdies and pars. And I have bought plenty of clubs (and sold them) because of how they looked. To decide MP4 is a solid answer isn’t what I expected. But... there it is.

> >

> > I actually think you and I agree. Performance is the goal. You have to think for yourself to find it.

> >

> > And... PS. My GI clubs for when my confidence wanes? The Macgregor 1025M I bought from you all those years ago. GI, as per Ralph Maltby!

> >

> >

>

> Mr Blake. You are not alone. If we could get people to at lest try thinner soled clubs for themselves , a lot ( not all) would see the same results you do.

>

> Some people are fine with decent results but never feeling like they hit a solid shot. I can see you aren’t one of them and neither am I. Once the turf gets firm I simply cannot get on with a sole that bounces. You never feel like you hit a pure shot.

I totally agree. I just get the feeling of dread when I look down at a tight/firm lie with a wide soled club. It literally makes me thin the ball way more than I should and I just can't get over it. The sole on my ping I e1 is the absolute widest I can go and would be too wide if the trailing edge weren't removed. If you want to call this "turf interaction" then count me was a believer. That "ball is already gone" theory is garbage.

• Like 1

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

> @gbartko said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > @Nessism said:

> > > > It's alway seems to be the higher cappers using small players clubs and blades that take offence to the suggestion that they may be better served by more GI oriented irons. Almost never the other way around. When I bought my G25's the fitting guy at the store saw me swinging (I was a 7 capper at the time) and asked why I wanted G's instead of i's? I told him I want the forgiveness because my miss is out on the toe and mitigating that is more valuable to my game than the workability of smaller clubs. Mind you my philosophy has changed over the years; when I was younger I played blades and selected clubs based on appearance. It took me a couple of decades of playing to break the "shovel's" prejudice. If someone told me I would benefit from some GI clubs when I was young I would have scoffed. Truth is though, they would have been right.

> > >

> > > So... I played a lot of small headed clubs and slowly decided I was kidding myself with my 7-9 index. Got some P790. A step toward GI for me. And the ball ended up sort of near the green but never felt like I hit it solid. So I tested trying to solve it. Maybe lie, maybe shaft. And I concluded nope, I still needed more help. So I tried G410. This, I fully believed, was smarter. I was into it. And tried them over and over. With different lies and different shafts. Still ... never hit the ball flush. In one session, waiting for the fitter, I hit some ping iblades. And immediately started hitting them solid. Now this isn’t about feel. Any ball struck in the middle of the face that compresses feels good enough to me. This was about solid and dispersion. The fitter came, I tried P790 and G410 in all kinds of permutations. Then I mentioned the iblades. Right away, solid contact. This guy theorizes I can’t swing wider soles clubs. I hit the trailing edge on the turf and clubhead twists is his hunch. I don’t hit the ball fat (as per divot or launch monitor) but it sounds and feels fat

> > >

> > > So I am trying a MP4. Just 9 holes but I hit more solid shots in 9 holes than I did in 6 months with P790. (And now eye surgery has me on the bench for 2 weeks) This just mind blowing. I have worked too **** hard on my swing to care about the aesthetics. I want birdies and pars. And I have bought plenty of clubs (and sold them) because of how they looked. To decide MP4 is a solid answer isn’t what I expected. But... there it is.

> > >

> > > I actually think you and I agree. Performance is the goal. You have to think for yourself to find it.

> > >

> > > And... PS. My GI clubs for when my confidence wanes? The Macgregor 1025M I bought from you all those years ago. GI, as per Ralph Maltby!

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Mr Blake. You are not alone. If we could get people to at lest try thinner soled clubs for themselves , a lot ( not all) would see the same results you do.

> >

> > Some people are fine with decent results but never feeling like they hit a solid shot. I can see you aren’t one of them and neither am I. Once the turf gets firm I simply cannot get on with a sole that bounces. You never feel like you hit a pure shot.

>

> I totally agree. I just get the feeling of dread when I look down at a tight/firm lie with a wide soled club. It literally makes me thin the ball way more than I should and I just can't get over it. The sole on my ping I e1 is the absolute widest I can go and would be too wide if the trailing edge weren't removed. If you want to call this "turf interaction" then count me was a believer. **That "ball is already gone" theory is garbage.**

You are a man of strong convictions (just like the guy in your avatar I'm guessing). LOL

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

You know what it is that kind of irks me?

It's merely the fact that some guy who (legitimately) doesn't like a GI club skips right over all the amazing options for player's CBs and goes right to blades...

...and then that guy comes here and says he's 'optimally fit' for blades as if he's some special exception.

I think it's just annoying to constantly hear that egotistical nonsense. In my mind, those folks ought to be told to shut up when they sound stupid.

If you like blades because they have an aesthetic appeal, just be a man and say so. Stop saying they're the best club for you. We all know that's complete BS. Nobody has ever bought that and they never will.

We all try blades for the same reasons and the vast majority of us all eventually get rid of them for the same reasons.

Sorry if that's offensive, but you simply can't con the con-man.

This is a forum where jerks like me come to give our 2 cents on equipment. I'm not your friend. I'm not your wife. I'm not your local club dealer. We're just guys on a site and we're all being prompted for our opinions.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> You know what it is that kind of irks me?

>

> It's merely the fact that some guy who (legitimately) doesn't like a GI club skips right over all the amazing options for player's CBs and goes right to blades...

>

> ...and then that guy comes here and says he's 'optimally fit' for blades as if he's some special exception.

>

> I think it's just annoying to constantly hear that egotistical nonsense. In my mind, those folks ought to be told to shut up when they sound stupid.

>

> If you like blades because they have an aesthetic appeal, just be a man and say so. Stop saying they're the best club for you. We all know that's complete BS. Nobody has ever bought that and they never will.

>

> We all try blades for the same reasons and the vast majority of us all eventually get rid of them for the same reasons.

>

> Sorry if that's offensive, but you simply can't con the con-man.

>

> This is a forum where jerks like me come to give our 2 cents on equipment. I'm not your friend. I'm not your wife. I'm not your local club dealer. We're just guys on a site and we're all being prompted for our opinions.

>

If something annoys you that much (and it certainly appears that it does), why don't you choose to avoid it and post elsewhere? I think your anger is getting the best of you... and your wrong in assuming with most of what you said. Sorry if thats offensive sir.

• Like 1

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Ping G430 #3 hybrid with RDX red 80 

Srixon ZX MK 11 #3 Utility iron 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges... TBD

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

I've finally gotten to play a few rounds outside this season and fell in love with my irons again LoL . Stupid winters

Even the 4 iron has been awesome when called on

The early in the season wind is always the best time to remember why flight control is important. I do find thats a bit easier with these as oppose to say the g410 , not impossible to do it with SGI just a bit different

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @MelloYello said:

>

> It's merely the fact that some guy who (legitimately) doesn't like a GI club skips right over all the amazing options for player's CBs and goes right to blades...

>

> ...and then that guy comes here and says he's 'optimally fit' for blades as if he's some special exception.

>

> I think it's just annoying to constantly hear that egotistical nonsense. In my mind, those folks ought to be told to shut up when they sound stupid.

>

> If you like blades because they have an aesthetic appeal, just be a man and say so. Stop saying they're the best club for you. We all know that's complete BS. Nobody has ever bought that and they never will.

>

> We all try blades for the same reasons and the vast majority of us all eventually get rid of them for the same reasons.

>

>

> This is a forum where jerks like me come to give our 2 cents on equipment. I'm not your friend. I'm not your wife. I'm not your local club dealer. We're just guys on a site and we're all being prompted for our opinions.

>

But. The ones like me who have chronicled the constant trying of different GI and CB clubs and the worse and worse play with them then the light bulb great play after the swap back. What of that ? It’s pretty hard to believe that an MB isn’t the best club for some folks. Too many people pro and not who say that to call it false.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > You know what it is that kind of irks me?

> >

> > It's merely the fact that some guy who (legitimately) doesn't like a GI club skips right over all the amazing options for player's CBs and goes right to blades...

> >

> > ...and then that guy comes here and says he's 'optimally fit' for blades as if he's some special exception.

> >

> > I think it's just annoying to constantly hear that egotistical nonsense. In my mind, those folks ought to be told to shut up when they sound stupid.

> >

> > If you like blades because they have an aesthetic appeal, just be a man and say so. Stop saying they're the best club for you. We all know that's complete BS. Nobody has ever bought that and they never will.

> >

> > We all try blades for the same reasons and the vast majority of us all eventually get rid of them for the same reasons.

> >

> > Sorry if that's offensive, but you simply can't con the con-man.

> >

> > This is a forum where jerks like me come to give our 2 cents on equipment. I'm not your friend. I'm not your wife. I'm not your local club dealer. We're just guys on a site and we're all being prompted for our opinions.

> >

>

> But. The ones like me who have chronicled the constant trying of different GI and CB clubs and the worse and worse play with them then the light bulb great play after the swap back. What of that ? It’s pretty hard to believe that an MB isn’t the best club for some folks. Too many people pro and not who say that to call it false.

So, what happened to the i500 experiment? I thought that you had those sorted out.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @Mcgeeno said:

> Can't relate I'm afraid.

>

> I'm a 2 handicap who has a set of single length shovels and a chipper in his bag LOL!

Chipper is awesome, nice

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @Mcgeeno said:

> Can't relate I'm afraid.

>

> I'm a 2 handicap who has a set of single length shovels and a chipper in his bag LOL!

Is the chipper single length?

• Like 2

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

> @Mcgeeno said:

> > @toc said:

> > > @Mcgeeno said:

> > > Can't relate I'm afraid.

> > >

> > > I'm a 2 handicap who has a set of single length shovels and a chipper in his bag LOL!

> >

> > Is the chipper single length?

> >

>

> Ahahah this feels like an insult!

>

> But no its just a cleveland niblick haha.

You’re leaving strokes on the table my man

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I have no idea what clubs are best for me as I've never had a formal fitting. Well not a decent one with all the modern track man numbers anyway. I have tried a lot of different irons though, including blades, and I've also used other irons in hire sets. What this process has taught me is that when my swing is on they all feel great and my scores are about the same. When my swing is off they're all awful and no club on the planet will salvage my lousy swing or my score.

I am tempted to try something modern like the JPX919 Forged with the stronger lofts so that I can drop an iron in the 24° to 46°/47° range and carry an extra wedge. Also trying a different shaft than the TT DG might also be interesting. But I don't expect new clubs to suddenly lower my scores or make me a better golfer. The clown holding the club is the biggest determinant of score IMO.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

> @toc said:

> > @Mcgeeno said:

> > > @toc said:

> > > > @Mcgeeno said:

> > > > Can't relate I'm afraid.

> > > >

> > > > I'm a 2 handicap who has a set of single length shovels and a chipper in his bag LOL!

> > >

> > > Is the chipper single length?

> > >

> >

> > Ahahah this feels like an insult!

> >

> > But no its just a cleveland niblick haha.

>

> You’re leaving strokes on the table my man

>

Maybe.

I'm kind of a computer nerd and track all my shots.

There were clubs in my bag I hit 2-3 times a week total even playing 100+ rounds a season. I had room to add a club and went with a chipper. I use it from behind trees, under limbs, bad lies, around greens.

> @MtlJeff said:

> I didn't say there was or should be a law mandating people do this and am not i advocating for one. I asked if anyone tested and bought clubs that target their skill level and have found them to be a good fit or the best fit for them

>

> There have certainly been guys like KJ Choi who played in the Masters with g15's. My experience in the real world has been that most players seem to play stuff targeted at their skill level, here i mostly read posts advocating the inverse or that it doesn't matter.

>

> My personal opinion is that it matters a bit what type of iron you choose related to your skill level. I'm wondering how many people here see that in their experience

I'm a 10.8 and I play both blades (Miura MC501 with TT AMT S300 white) and GI irons (TM M-CGB with Steelfiber i95 stiff). I shoot better scores with the M-CGB because they are just THAT forgiving, but the MC501s keep the game challenging/interesting for me and forces me to build a better swing, which helps when I play the M-CGB. The only caveat to this is dealing with ever-evolving yardages between sets :smile:

Srixon Z785 w/ PX 6.0 HZRDUS yellow (S) shaft
Srizon F65 3w (15*) w/ stock Miyazaki Kaula (S)
Srixon Z U85 20* driving iron
Taylormade P7TW irons (3-PW) in S400 tour issue shafts
Taylormade Hi Toe 54 and 58 wedges
Bettinardi Studio Stock 8 putter

> @kiwihacker said:

> I have no idea what clubs are best for me as I've never had a formal fitting. Well not a decent one with all the modern track man numbers anyway. I have tried a lot of different irons though, including blades, and I've also used other irons in hire sets. What this process has taught me is that when my swing is on they all feel great and my scores are about the same. When my swing is off they're all awful and no club on the planet will salvage my lousy swing or my score.

>

> I am tempted to try something modern like the JPX919 Forged with the stronger lofts so that I can drop an iron in the 24° to 46°/47° range and carry an extra wedge. Also trying a different shaft than the TT DG might also be interesting. But I don't expect new clubs to suddenly lower my scores or make me a better golfer. The clown holding the club is the biggest determinant of score IMO.

I highly recommend getting fit. If nothing else it’s an interesting process to see how you are currently hitting the ball and what you need to do to optimize your numbers.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

> @gvogel said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > You know what it is that kind of irks me?

> > >

> > > It's merely the fact that some guy who (legitimately) doesn't like a GI club skips right over all the amazing options for player's CBs and goes right to blades...

> > >

> > > ...and then that guy comes here and says he's 'optimally fit' for blades as if he's some special exception.

> > >

> > > I think it's just annoying to constantly hear that egotistical nonsense. In my mind, those folks ought to be told to shut up when they sound stupid.

> > >

> > > If you like blades because they have an aesthetic appeal, just be a man and say so. Stop saying they're the best club for you. We all know that's complete BS. Nobody has ever bought that and they never will.

> > >

> > > We all try blades for the same reasons and the vast majority of us all eventually get rid of them for the same reasons.

> > >

> > > Sorry if that's offensive, but you simply can't con the con-man.

> > >

> > > This is a forum where jerks like me come to give our 2 cents on equipment. I'm not your friend. I'm not your wife. I'm not your local club dealer. We're just guys on a site and we're all being prompted for our opinions.

> > >

> >

> > But. The ones like me who have chronicled the constant trying of different GI and CB clubs and the worse and worse play with them then the light bulb great play after the swap back. What of that ? It’s pretty hard to believe that an MB isn’t the best club for some folks. Too many people pro and not who say that to call it false.

>

> So, what happened to the i500 experiment? I thought that you had those sorted out.

Short answer. It stopped raining.

Long answer. That much bounce on hard red clay based fairways is like hitting driver off a cartpath for me. In 6 rounds since dumping i500 my scoring average dropped 4 shots ( small sample I know ) with a single i500 round sprinkled in the middle of those 6 for a 77. Then very next round with mb set I went back down to 71.

If o lives in Seattle or another soft ground spot. Sure. Great iron. But I don’t. And cannot struggle trying to get an iron to take a divot for a solid strike all summer.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @MelloYello said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

You should shut up, You sound stupid !

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

> @cliffhanger said:

>

> If something annoys you that much (and it certainly appears that it does), why don't you choose to avoid it and post elsewhere? I think your anger is getting the best of you... and your wrong in assuming with most of what you said. Sorry if thats offensive sir.

Why should I be worried about pulling punches? This is an online forum. Even if we try and keep things polite, it certainly doesn't seem wise to assume that everyone is rationale and therefore deserves to have their views honored.

Only on WRX can a mid- or high-handicap make a case for using blades. We should never recommend that sort of fitting but for some reason it gains traction on WRX.

If some guy that swung his driver at 85-mph came in talking about how he bought a $400 shaft on Ebay that was some heavy, X-flex, tip-stiff, ultra low-spin thing, we wouldn't take that seriously. We would recognize that guy as a wannabe. Some guys will spend $400 to have Tiger's shaft even when it doesn't fit them at all. Fine...but the moment that person wants to get online and start lying about how it's a good fit for him? Okay, that's delusional nonsense.

People would explain to that guy how that shaft isn't optimizing his launch conditions and how in the long run, whatever he feels like he's gaining is ultimately not a good trade and that's it's better to get properly fit to something more appropriate so he can hit the ball higher, further and straighter.

People are receptive to this kind of info when it comes to expensive driver shafts, fairway woods, hybrids and wedges because they want to get it right. But for some reason people don't seem to have the same desire to get the irons right. They are biased towards wanting blades and it leads to an onslaught on WRX where tons of mid- and high-handicap golfers are slapping it around with blades talking about how great they feel and they're great tools for improving your game.

Maybe if these guys actually bought these irons new for $1,200 they wouldn't be so quick to buy something that didn't fit them. It's way easier to throw down $300 on Ebay for a cheap set of blades and think nothing of it.

What I see are a bunch of guys who like them because they're shiny and pretty and on the 1 shot in 10 where they actually find the certain of the face, they get a rush like they're a real shot-maker.

I just think living in fantasy-land is kind of pointless when a person could actually approach the game looking to optimizing his scores and gain some real confidence by going with reasonable equipment and a nice practice schedule.

For 99% of amateur players out there, blades are a phase.

The fact people here put so much emphasis on equipment is really kind of sad I think. This year I simplified my bag, went with CBs and tried to stop worrying about equipment.

I'm playing the best and most consistent golf of my life. Compared to a lot of people who are out there breaking par I still suck but I wouldn't trade shooting solid scores for the experience of using blades.

Been there. Done that. Ain't worth going back.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @puttingmatt said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > You know what it is that kind of irks me?

> >

> > It's merely the fact that some guy who (legitimately) doesn't like a GI club skips right over all the amazing options for player's CBs and goes right to blades...

> >

> > ...and then that guy comes here and says he's 'optimally fit' for blades as if he's some special exception.

> >

> > I think it's just annoying to constantly hear that egotistical nonsense. In my mind, those folks ought to be told to shut up when they sound stupid.

> >

> > If you like blades because they have an aesthetic appeal, just be a man and say so. Stop saying they're the best club for you. We all know that's complete BS. Nobody has ever bought that and they never will.

> >

> > We all try blades for the same reasons and the vast majority of us all eventually get rid of them for the same reasons.

> >

> > Sorry if that's offensive, but you simply can't con the con-man.

> >

> > This is a forum where jerks like me come to give our 2 cents on equipment. I'm not your friend. I'm not your wife. I'm not your local club dealer. We're just guys on a site and we're all being prompted for our opinions.

> >

>

> You should shut up, You sound stupid !

You know, it's funny.

You can think something is stupid but as soon as you speak that out loud people get upset. But hey, that's my opinion. I think it's delusional. I think it's stupid.

I think it's super condescending to think you can lie to other players who play the same game with the same equipment and tell them that somehow your experience is different.

To me, that's condescending and by extension disrespectful.

Why not be rude to that person? I have no love for that way of being.

It's a free world and people can do as they please, but I'm not going to pat these guys on the back like they're children.

These are grown men who are pretending.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @cliffhanger said:

> >

> > If something annoys you that much (and it certainly appears that it does), why don't you choose to avoid it and post elsewhere? I think your anger is getting the best of you... and your wrong in assuming with most of what you said. Sorry if thats offensive sir.

>

> Why should I be worried about pulling punches? This is an online forum. Even if we try and keep things polite, it certainly doesn't seem wise to assume that everyone is rationale and therefore deserves to have their views honored.

>

> Only on WRX can a mid- or high-handicap make a case for using blades. We should never recommend that sort of fitting but for some reason it gains traction on WRX.

>

> If some guy that swung his driver at 85-mph came in talking about how he bought a $400 shaft on Ebay that was some heavy, X-flex, tip-stiff, ultra low-spin thing, we wouldn't take that seriously. We would recognize that guy as a wannabe. Some guys will spend $400 to have Tiger's shaft even when it doesn't fit them at all. Fine...but the moment that person wants to get online and start lying about how it's a good fit for him? Okay, that's delusional nonsense.

>

> People would explain to that guy how that shaft isn't optimizing his launch conditions and how in the long run, whatever he feels like he's gaining is ultimately not a good trade and that's it's better to get properly fit to something more appropriate so he can hit the ball higher, further and straighter.

>

> People are receptive to this kind of info when it comes to expensive driver shafts, fairway woods, hybrids and wedges because they want to get it right. But for some reason people don't seem to have the same desire to get the irons right. They are biased towards wanting blades and it leads to an onslaught on WRX where tons of mid- and high-handicap golfers are slapping it around with blades talking about how great they feel and they're great tools for improving your game.

>

> Maybe if these guys actually bought these irons new for $1,200 they wouldn't be so quick to buy something that didn't fit them. It's way easier to throw down $300 on Ebay for a cheap set of blades and think nothing of it.

>

> What I see are a bunch of guys who like them because they're shiny and pretty and on the 1 shot in 10 where they actually find the certain of the face, they get a rush like they're a real shot-maker.

>

> I just think living in fantasy-land is kind of pointless when a person could actually approach the game looking to optimizing his scores and gain some real confidence by going with reasonable equipment and a nice practice schedule.

>

> For 99% of amateur players out there, blades are a phase.

>

> The fact people here put so much emphasis on equipment is really kind of sad I think. This year I simplified my bag, went with CBs and tried to stop worrying about equipment.

>

> I'm playing the best and most consistent golf of my life. Compared to a lot of people I still suck but I wouldn't trade shooting solid scores for the experience of using blades.

@MelloYello , what's your HC again? Your signature indicates Titleist 716 CBs in 3-PW. Maybe dump the 3 & 4 irons for some GI hybrids? Consistent with your posturing, most recreational players have no business carrying a 3 iron...and the 716 CBs are not far off from most MB blades, certainly not much GI built into them...lol! Please explain

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball